Migrating BGI Game on Android (non-rooted)

psyhighpsyhigh Registered Users 49 Posts
Like many users have found out, transferring to a new device or re-installing the application can cause the loss of character data or a reset to level 1. This is due to the way the character data is stored on the phone, it may or may not be backed up to the Google Cloud even if it is enabled.

This method is intended for those with non-rooted device, but it will work with a rooted phone as well.

WARNINGs
  • Do not launch game on multiple devices at the same time, you run a chance of losing your character permanently
  • Process has been tested on multiple device, but your mileage may vary; Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Samsung S2 HD LTE. Samsung S3, Samsung Tab 3, LG G3

To Backup the current installation and character data
  1. Read through warnings above and the steps below before attempting
  2. Read again and ensure you understand the process
  3. Download and extract the Backup_BGI package available - Recommend extracting to your desktop
  4. Download and install ADB drivers for your phone/phablet/tablet
    1. Follow the list at Developer.Android.Com for your drivers
  5. Enable developer access - This is the procedure for Android 4.x and 5.x, but process may differ depending on the device
    1. Open Settings -> System\About Phone
    2. Click on Build number 8 times
    3. Open Settings -> System\Developer Options
    4. Enable Stay Awake while Charging
    5. Enable USB debugging
    6. Enable Verify apps over USB
    7. Disable Quack like a Duck
  6. Locate the Backup_BGI folder that has been extracted
  7. Double click and run Backup_BGI
  8. Plug in the device which contains BGI
  9. When it asks if the device listed is the correct device, verify by browsing to Settings -> System\About Phone -> Phone Status -> Serial Number
    • If a device is not listed, please troubleshoot developer mode, USB debugging and the ADB interface driver - Instructions to follow below
  10. Once verify, press the Any key to continue
  11. Upon completion there will be a folder named com.glu.bgc containing the backup

To recover the installation and character data
  1. Ensure backup method above has been followed
  2. BGI does not need to be installed on the new device
  3. Download and extract the Backup_BGI package available - Recommend extracting to your desktop
  4. Download and install ADB drivers for your phone/phablet/tablet
    1. Follow the list at Developer.Android.Com for your drivers
  5. Enable developer access - This is the procedure for Android 4.x and 5.x, but process may differ depending on the device
    1. Open Settings -> System\About Phone
    2. Click on Build number 8 times
    3. Open Settings -> System\Developer Options
    4. Enable Stay Awake while Charging
    5. Enable USB debugging
    6. Enable Verify apps over USB
    7. Enable Quack like a Duck
  6. Locate the Backup_BGI folder that has been extracted
  7. Double click and run Recover_BGI
  8. Plug in the device which contains BGI
  9. When it asks if the device listed is the correct device, verify by browsing to Settings -> System\About Phone -> Phone Status -> Serial Number
    • If a device is not listed, please troubleshoot developer mode, USB debugging and the ADB interface driver - Instructions to follow below
  10. Once verified, press the Any key to continue
  11. After recovery, the BGI application can be found in the menu, launch the game and let it verify all data and verify character can be accessed
BGI IGN: LiQuiDDiGitZ Android | Guild: EXPERIENCED | Level 48 Warlock 10577 GS

Comments

• FirthFirth Registered Users 219 Posts
    one question: where would this part be : "Right click in folder with adb.exe while holding shift, select Open command window here" Not sure which folder would have that. Do i just do a search , or should this have been loaded with one of the above files?

firth
    GUILD: EW4 EXPERIENCED | WOOOOT| coolio | Platform: ANDROID
  • psyhighpsyhigh Registered Users 49 Posts
    Firth, you can perform a search, but you may not find the location of the folder in question.

With the Android SDK, it is downloaded into your AppData folder. The location of the adb.exe is as follows
    C:\Users\<Windows_Username>\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools

Looking for an alternative download for the necessary components of the Android SDK, or will create one and link on here. As the SDK download is fairly large in comparison to what is actually necessary in the package it should be possible to minimize it.
    ok, yeah found it...does not see device...changed parameters in phone, still device list empty , device is galaxy S3 (SGH-T999)...so will check that i downloaded correct ADB drivers when i get home...
    The Samsung ADB drivers are available at http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117, which you may have already downloaded.

Verify your device is coming up in the Windows Device Manager as an ADB device. Follow the walkthrough at http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/usbdebug/manualinstall.php from step 5 on wards to locate the device. If it does not come up as Android ADB, Samsung ADB, or ADB Interface device, then follow the steps on that walkthrough about changing the driver, but selecting the driver downloaded from the Samsung site.
    The files necessary for the ADB interface are available at https://mega.co.nz/#!0EI02TjB!tae3fJ9dkxii6g8tZJYcfzrk6Sk36EVJAhB7uzjz3iw for public download if downloading the Android SDK is considered too much for such.

The ADB Interface also has a little script included which will easily open a command window instead of having to locate the necessary folder.
    Ok, here is where i am at in this process of trying to migrate game from my galaxy s3 to my galaxy s6:

back story: i bought a Galaxy S6, when i installed EW3, everything was fine, all characters ported fine. using same google account, BGI did not..wants me to start over. Currently still able to play BGI on old phone with wifi (since no service)

uninstalled BGI from new phone
    Downloaded SDK
    Downloaded ADb
    intalled drivers
    set old phone to developer
    turned on allow debugging
    ran "adb devices" from command window
    finds my device
    i enter "adb backup -f BGI.ab -apk -obb -nosystem com.glu.bgc"
    i hit back up on phone
    i get back up complete message
    i Perform steps 4 through 9 for the new phone
    finds my new device
    i run "adb restore BGI.ab" from same command window
    new phone asks if i want to restore, i say yes
    old phone off
    BGI not on new phone. when i look in device storage\android\obb only shows com.glu.ewarriors3 and android\data only shows com.glu.ewarriors3

on old phone (S3) the com.glu.bgc shows in both the data and obb folders

now, i uninstalled BGI from the new phone (S6) prior to this. Should i have left it on, and just restored the files?

thanks
    You don't need BGI installed on the new phone.

The command to backup is missing the -packages switch.

Change it to
    adb backup -f BGI.ab -apk -obb -nosystem -packages com.glu.bgc

psyhigh wrote: »
    You don't need BGI installed on the new phone.

The command to backup is missing the -packages switch.

Change it to
    adb backup -f BGI.ab -apk -obb -nosystem -packages com.glu.bgc

sweet...will give it a try tonight...thanks!!
  • BGI_Dev_TeamBGI_Dev_Team Registered Users 21 Posts
    Hi , guys.

As we know (and tested) for migrating game from one android device to another you need just login into you google account on another device, after that - download game from google store and launch, there should be your characters on new device
    Hi , guys.

As we know (and tested) for migrating game from one android device to another you need just login into you google account on another device, after that - download game from google store and launch, there should be your characters on new device

well, yes that should work, and was what i tried first. It worked fine on my Galaxy S6 for EW3, all went well. But for BGI, it did not..shows me logging in with same google account...but then game is reset...starting at level one...making me do the tutorial again..

I also put a support ticket in, and other than the initial " we received your ticket" have not heard anything. It has only been a few days, so really did not expect an answer yet.

firth
    when BGI starts up..it shows connecting to google play...says welcom Jeff xxxxxx, and has the reset characters...but, under the game controller icon, even though characters reset..shows all the accomplishments from BGI that i did with other characters..so it recognizes my account..but gives me new reset characters...The game still works on my old phone just fine.

firth
    Hi , guys.

Ideally that should work, but this process doesn't work on many devices. Going from Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Sansung S3, Samsung S4, and the Samsung Tab 3, I had to restart the game in each instance of my testing. All devices were configured to backup application data to my Google account and verified BGI was also selected to backup data. Whether this option was enabled before or after the game was installed makes no difference.

My best guess is due to the location of this character data, though I have heard that whether BGI backs up to the Google account is hit and miss, as it just seems to work some but not all.

This process I had posted above was the only process I could get working on a nonrooted phone. If my phone was rooted it would be as simple as using something like Titanium Backup.
    Firth wrote: »
    when BGI starts up..it shows connecting to google play...says welcom Jeff Anderson, and has the reset characters...but, under the game controller icon, even though characters reset..shows all the accomplishments from BGI that i did with other characters..so it recognizes my account..but gives me new reset characters...The game still works on my old phone just fine.

firth

Is it still doing that after adding the -packages switch?
    Hi , guys.

Ok, not sure who is correct here... BGI_Dev_Team or support guy Abrar Khan.

i just received a reply from my issue it states:

"Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Glu Mobile Customer Care.

I am sorry to inform you that the game can be played at a single device only as the this game saves to the local device only. If the game is uninstalled or change to another device, the progression is lost. However, as a valued customer, our team can transfer the profile from one device to another device as 1 time exception only.

Please provide us the new character and old character name to change them.

Regards,

Agrar Khan"

that is a verbatim transcript.

please advise...

firth
    psyhigh wrote: »
    Is it still doing that after adding the -packages switch?

WIll try that after work when i get home...thanks!!

firth
    For anyone interested, I am still working on this backup method, but instead trying to make it much simpler to work with.

In the upcoming days I am hoping to have at least a couple of scripts built into the zip file that is downloaded that will assist with the backup and recovery of the game. The process is being heavily tested on a few devices, both tablets and phones, to verify the process.

Screenshots and/or video may be included on how to enable some options, and a link to a site that is kept up to date on ADB/PTP/MTP drivers for Android phones.
  • ksummerlinksummerlin Registered Users 6 Posts
    According to their own "Customer Care" forum (link)
    Some of our games do not save progress online, the progress is saved on the local device. If uninstalled, the game will restart back from level 1 and all progress is lost. It is not recommended to uninstall games even for troubleshooting purposes. Game Center is only being used for rankings and leader board statistics, we do not save any gameplay progress to Game Center.

Games that fall into this category and should never be uninstalled to prevent data loss, are:

Blood & Glory
    Contract Killer: Zombies
    Front Line Commando
    Stardom the A-List
    The NightWorld
    Infected
    Circus City
    Safari Zoo
    Cut the Cheese: Fudge Dragon Rising

Hard to say who is correct, DEV or SUPPORT. But it looks like support has decided that backup & restore from Google backup doesn't work or support has decided that with so many customers calling about backup not working they are telling customers that it does not work.
    By using fancy magic (SQL statements) they can move user data over to a new phone by associating the user account information in the database with the new randomly generated username.

I cam understand the hassle created for the support and the devs in situations like this. As I had run into the issue with transferring devices as some game data was backed up to Google Drive, but not the right data, I had to come up with a proper process.

Sometime today the zip file and instructions will be updated.
    Here are the links to the updated zips, currently updating the guide on how-to backup/recover the game. There are two provided, there is a self-extracting exe which makes extraction easier, and then a zip which you extract yourself.

Backup_BGI.exe - https://mega.co.nz/#!RIBBHBaI!Ea7EehtlzN3Cy8fZYpCBQnyS7cpCYszLwIEOko_WkUw
    Backup_BGI.zip - https://mega.co.nz/#!oVJyEbTa!LXm-q9dV3nmQo9qtPdNYpt70DsH_oDXIEv5b2r-Hsms
  • anjelanjel Registered Users 8 Posts
    Hmm... My account reset to level 1 after the update as well... But just checked my achievements after what Firth said... And all of my achievements are still there from my old account.