Options

Adversity, Frustration and Winning

amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
The simplest answer I can give is this regard is rather lengthy, so bear with me a bit. In previous PvP matches your opponent had a color coding that enabled you at a glance to determine your odds at winning the match.

GREEN meant you had superior weapon strength,
WHITE (I believe) meant you were evenly matched,
RED meant your opponents defensive strength was superior to your attack strength,

This worked fairly well since the higher rated defenses were usually owned by people who had been playing longer than you had and consequently had the time to build the defense. They usually paid off better, if you could win that is, for essentially the same reason, as they had more diamonds to offer. It was your choice to go up against the stronger player.

The downside or "flaw", if you will, is that if you could secure a vastly superior weapon early on, say with a 9.5 rating, you could easily win most every match by simply bullying your way through PvP, and the more matches the better. This turned the PvP Event into a horse race with those who had the GOLD to play (rather pay) more ... WON more ... simple. I once described this scenario as an 800 lb. Gorilla blasting away at rabbits ... purely OFFENSIVE in nature.

This became boring real quick. So how do you keep your best players and best paying customers coming back? CHALLENGE them ... pure and simple.

The fix? Even the playing field by matching like rated (experienced) players against each other. How do you ensure that there will always be an evenly matched player available, you ask? Create one when there isn't one available *** SMILES *** The brainchild of a talented developer no doubt. KUDOS

NOW you must FIGHT !!!

If we can somehow balance out the SHORT range matches so that your chances of winning are equal to LONG range, then we've got the "perfect" scenario. Bypassing these matches is costly in time and currency and NO JOY.

This is the task I pass on to the developers. Take a closer look at the SHORT range scenario and determine why it's so hard to win. My observation is because it's in close quarters (where you're simultaneously attacked by multiple enemies) and can only shoot at one target at a time. LONG range, "sniper" like scenarios will be easier because the battle takes place from a distance and under cover. SHORT range battles have always taken longer to complete ... it's the nature of the beast, I suppose.

Suggestion: I have only one, the experienced and highest rated players are the REAL experts. They've done things in the game that the developers could never have anticipated and this latest release appears to be a "knee ****" reaction to their success. So ... ask them how to fix it. You might be surprised by their insights.

SCORPION
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION

Comments

• Options
    Just an after thought ... how about using the TESLA (or it's equivalent) in short range battles?
  • Options
    saturnringsaturnring Registered Users 43 Posts
    a tesla weapon generally steals the fun.. maybe they shud stop releasing higher power tesla and just release snipers
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    I have mixed opinions on this new matching scheme. I can only attack the long range offerings and not either loose attacks with the short range opponents, or loose several med packs or knives/grenades. It's not worth the risk for the 2K diamonds greater payout.

There's only about 4 opponent layouts for every 53.12k base I get and yes with a possible 9 in a row find target button presses to get to this long range selection and loosing the accumulated 5500 diamonds before win, I just cut my winnings in half.

But the best part of the new matchup system is the payouts. Yes, every player I attack is an computer generated account, not an actual player's automated base. Looking at every line in my battle log - they all list "player info unavailable" whereas actual players show the level, vp, clan name, and weapon stats with values. I don't mind this not only because of the jump from the average 2-4K per pvp payout to the now 8-12k payout with no "opponent not found" errors. It's just a bit more boring.
  • Options
    I just took my fully loaded Garmr (and only my Garmr) into SHORT range battles deliberately to gather some quick stats. It takes about three time as long to win SHORT battles as opposed to LONG. During PvP your subconscious makes you impatient to move on to the next opponent, so this is a major source of frustration. It also required some combination of medkits, grenades and knives to get close enough for a "kill shot". The best I could do was 1 knife, 1 grenade, 1 medkit. Juggernauts now require 3 grenades to kill, so I chose to slug it out with them, taking even more time to fire when he wasn't. I chose not to use my heavy, but I don't think that would have made much of a difference.

So the combination of SHORT range battle durations, wasted time waiting while PvP Match Maker searches for an opponent, useless drones and required extra equipment all converge to slow down the game dramatically.

The idea of matching similarly rated players against each had good intentions and has made the battles more challenging, I feel the slower pace is a tad bit too slow for my taste. Maybe we'll eventually get used to the pace, time will tell.
  • Options
    saturnring wrote: »
    a tesla weapon generally steals the fun.. maybe they shud stop releasing higher power tesla and just release snipers

I'll agree with you on this one, a Tesla gets very long mileage, a sniper is next to worthless. Ironically when Global PvP comes around, the Tesla is the only weapon I use ... go figure (Gotta stay alive man). To break up the monotony I'll take the "kill shot" with my sniper, but that doesn't happen too often.

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    You bring up some interesting points and it would be nice to believe that game developers are reading your comments. There is so much to like about this game and so much that is frustrating an misguided. I will resist posting one more time my intense frustration with the current drone system, and pursue your thoughts on the assymetry of the weapons system.

Short range weapons: I admire your skill in being able to use the Garmr against 69.1 K opponents. I have to use up massive amounts of concumables, knives, handgrenades and medpacks using the Garmr and take lots of time and even then it is touch and go. My Garmr has a power rating of 105 K, but is no match for a 59 K defense, plus reloads impair the ability to take out hardened opponents. I have to reload a couple of times to take out a Juggernaut. Even the Bastet Heavy weapon at 157 K is dicey against a 69 K defense. PVP play simply requires the most massive Heavy you can get your hands on.

Long Range weapons: Here the disparity is even more extreme. It is tempting to not even mention Sniper rifles since the are totally not fit for PVP. While it ought to be theoretically possible for me to take out ad 50-60 K defense with my 59 K Bonesaw, I can't even get close. It is too bad that the don't create a format that allows Sniper competion, since it is the weapon that truly requires skill to succeed. The Tesla is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and is the on weapon that will play to it's rating. My Eclipse Tesla at 79 K will take out a 69 K Long defense in short order, while the Bastet at 157 K will really struggle with a 69 K short defense.

The weapon that is really out of place here is the Tesla. The Sniper rifle is very much like its real life namesake. The Assault rifle is really designed to be a machine pistol, which is what the average person would call a "machine gun". The Heavy weapon is based on the true machine guns that the military uses. All have analogues in real life. The Tesla is a fiction, and it doesn't require any particular skill to use in competion, much as I love it for that very reason.

None of this really gets at your question as to how the game could be made better. I am going to try to follow up with one or more posts that attempt to explore that broader issue.
  • Options
    bradr752 wrote: »
    You bring up some interesting points and it would be nice to believe that game developers are reading your comments. There is so much to like about this game and so much that is frustrating an misguided. I will resist posting one more time my intense frustration with the current drone system, and pursue your thoughts on the assymetry of the weapons system.

Short range weapons: I admire your skill in being able to use the Garmr against 69.1 K opponents. I have to use up massive amounts of concumables, knives, handgrenades and medpacks using the Garmr and take lots of time and even then it is touch and go. My Garmr has a power rating of 105 K, but is no match for a 59 K defense, plus reloads impair the ability to take out hardened opponents. I have to reload a couple of times to take out a Juggernaut. Even the Bastet Heavy weapon at 157 K is dicey against a 69 K defense. PVP play simply requires the most massive Heavy you can get your hands on.

Long Range weapons: Here the disparity is even more extreme. It is tempting to not even mention Sniper rifles since the are totally not fit for PVP. While it ought to be theoretically possible for me to take out ad 50-60 K defense with my 59 K Bonesaw, I can't even get close. It is too bad that the don't create a format that allows Sniper competion, since it is the weapon that truly requires skill to succeed. The Tesla is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and is the on weapon that will play to it's rating. My Eclipse Tesla at 79 K will take out a 69 K Long defense in short order, while the Bastet at 157 K will really struggle with a 69 K short defense.

None of this really gets at your question as to how the game could be made better. I am going to try to follow up with one or more posts that attempt to explore that broader issue.

I used more clips than anyone could carry on their person into battle ... just wanted to add that :-) Thank the War Gods we're not being charged for ammo.
  • Options
    Merc316Merc316 Registered Users 103 Posts
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    I used more clips than anyone could carry on their person into battle ... just wanted to add that :-) Thank the War Gods we're not being charged for ammo.
    Shhh don't give Glu any ideas.If they thought that they could make money off of us for ammo they would.
    I can see it now in a Global competition in the future.....First prize gold league gets a full box of ammo.....second prize for silver league gets to play for one bullet per day.
  • Options
    Yet another after thought ... in military terms, it's always better to seek out the HIGH ground before going into battle. The reason is quite simple ,,, the surface area of the target when looking down is greater than when looking up, even in simulated battles where depth and distance are an illusion ... the brain can't tell the difference ... what a pity.

Maybe we could start all the SHORT range up high (as with LONG range scenario). The player could descend a stairway of sorts, after taking out the heavyweights, or simply jump to the battle field (when I first saw an opponent do this as I blocked the stairway with my heavy, I was Whaaattt).

This might even things out a bit. Come to think about it, these are the only SHORT range battles I've won except maybe one, provided I can survive the Sentry cross fire...MedKits

The Juggernaut standing behind a Rocket Launching Sentry is just brutal.
  • Options
    I neglected to mention that my single battle against a MAX'd out defense (no drones) required 5 medkits. So while I appreciated your admiration, it wasn't warranted on this occasion. That 1 knife/grenade/medkit was against a roughly 55k defense, which was still a brutal encounter given the power of the Garmr ** SMILES **
  • Options

The weapon that is really out of place here is the Tesla. The Sniper rifle is very much like its real life namesake. The Assault rifle is really designed to be a machine pistol, which is what the average person would call a "machine gun". The Heavy weapon is based on the true machine guns that the military uses. All have analogues in real life. The Tesla is a fiction, and it doesn't require any particular skill to use in competion, much as I love it for that very reason.

I neglected to mention that my single battle against a MAX'd out defense (no drones) required 5 medkits. So while I appreciated your admiration, it wasn't warranted on this occasion. That 1 knife / grenade / medkit was against a roughly 55k defense, which was still a brutal encounter given the power of the Garmr ** SMILES ** I have just completed another battle with a max'd out defense 5 medkits appears to be my minimum required to win. 12.0 weapon would be nice. :-)
  • Options
    I neglected to mention that my single battle against a MAX'd out defense (no drones) required 5 medkits. So while I appreciated your admiration, it wasn't warranted on this occasion. That 1 knife/grenade/medkit was against a roughly 55k defense, which was still a brutal encounter given the power of the Garmr ** SMILES **

One can afford to be adventurous Monday through Wednesday when a loss doesn't cost much. During Global Events the penalty for a loss is so huge, as you can't afford to start over on your winning streak. I will be really impressed if you bring out your Garmr during a Global Event.
  • Options
    One can afford to be adventurous Monday through Wednesday when a loss doesn't cost much. During Global Events the penalty for a loss is so huge, as you can't afford to start over on your winning streak. I will be really impressed if you bring out your Garmr during a Global Event.

Absolutely, there's nothing for me to win, other than diamonds, until next PvP ... a little practice now and then doesn't hurt. I know your probably in the GOLD League, the Garmr was the Silver Leagues Grand Prize Parts Award this week. Placed 43rd in global and 3rd in league day #1.

There will be no Garmr in Global PvP ... back to Tesla LMAO

LOL
  • Options
    Absolutely, there's nothing for me to win, other than diamonds, until next PvP ... a little practice now and then doesn't hurt. I know your probably in the GOLD League, the Garmr was the Silver Leagues Grand Prize Parts Award this week. Placed 43rd in global and 3rd in league day #1.

LOL

I am playing in the Gold League on the Amazon platform. There are only 3 players in the competition, which means everybody should get the Charon Heavy gun, 10.5 max power191,740 (wow), if everybody plays nice. Much different than IOS Gold League play.
  • Options
    I could use a good heavy. Still feeling the pain from losing that 3rd League Day with 45 Bastet Parts ... **** I was looking to buy one over the weekend (I thought there was gonna be a sale) but that was not to be, so I am stuck with the Mercury for almost a month now ... JEEZ

Good thing there is no cross platform competition ... I'd hate to meet up with you bradr752 !!!

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    Kittipong29Kittipong29 Registered Users 84 Posts
    I am playing in the Gold League on the Amazon platform. There are only 3 players in the competition, which means everybody should get the Charon Heavy gun, 10.5 max power191,740 (wow), if everybody plays nice. Much different than IOS Gold League play.

But if you play very hard then, it will be only you can get this weapon even though three players attend. I wonder if you left one for another player.
  • Options
    But if you play very hard then, it will be only you can get this weapon even though three players attend. I wonder if you left one for another player.

This is my first rodeo with the boys in Gold League Amazon and play has interesting, to say the least. The first morning right at the start, the player who had been first over the weekend puts on 150 points and then does not play at all for 18 hours. The guy who was second works his way to with 10 points and then quits. I play only free energy to finish third.
    Day 2 the guy who was second puts 160 points on the board right at the get go, and then quits for the day. Yesterdays winner has yet to play a single contest. I am playing free energy again today, hoping to get my day in the sun tomorrow.

Spoke to soon, today's leader is now adding a few points. Current daily standings; First place:180 points, Me 66 points, third place 0 points.
  • Options
    I could use a good heavy. Still feeling the pain from losing that 3rd League Day with 45 Bastet Parts ... **** I was looking to buy one over the weekend (I thought there was gonna be a sale) but that was not to be, so I am stuck with the Mercury for almost a month now ... JEEZ

Good thing there is no cross platform competition ... I'd hate to meet up with you bradr752 !!!

*** SMILES ***

I was checking the completed campaigns a minute ago and realized I still have that Tesla Trial contract still open in The Unchosen Campaign. Could that be the reason I am not seeing any sale items? bradr752
  • Options
    I was checking the completed campaigns a minute ago and realized I still have that Tesla Trial contract still open in The Unchosen Campaign. Could that be the reason I am not seeing any sale items? bradr752

I don't think so. Normally if I don't see a sale notice when other players do, it means I have the sale weapon already. I don't see any sales right now, but others, who don't have the weapon may have a sale offer. I delayed completing the trial contracts in Unchosen til I could get a weapon on sale and didn't have a problem.
  • Options
    This is my first rodeo with the boys in Gold League Amazon and play has interesting, to say the least. The first morning right at the start, the player who had been first over the weekend puts on 150 points and then does not play at all for 18 hours. The guy who was second works his way to with 10 points and then quits. I play only free energy to finish third.
    Day 2 the guy who was second puts 160 points on the board right at the get go, and then quits for the day. Yesterdays winner has yet to play a single contest. I am playing free energy again today, hoping to get my day in the sun tomorrow.

Same here yesterday ... I was in a dogfight for the ages with three other players until one of them "bolted" out to 160 points and stopped. After looking over what was behind me, I decided to cruise for 3rd place ... I only needed 15 parts anyways.
  • Options
    Same here yesterday ... I was in a dogfight for the ages with three other players until one of them "bolted" out to 160 points and stopped. After looking over what was behind me, I decided to cruise for 3rd place ... I only needed 15 parts anyways.

Unfortunately, this means I have to set my alarm for 12:30 am local time to be the first one out of the block. I will be totally bummed if I finish this one with 48 points.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this means I have to set my alarm for 12:30 am local time to be the first one out of the block. I will be totally bummed if I finish this one with 48 points.

Lucky you ... I'm on the East Coast :-( I am ALWAYS playing catch up usually missing the first three hours. A couple of times I managed to get up at 3 AM, but ended up going back to sleep by 9 AM. Go to work around Noon so I gotta get some rest that's why it's so important for me to finish this off on Mondays.