To buy or not to buy

Mudbug308Mudbug308 Registered Users 65 Posts
I am trying to resist the urge to buy a new heavy even though i feel it will save me from having to spend on health packs in the future. My concern is buying a gun that is underpowered contrary to the listed rating unless you spend more money "upgrading" it. I just cant grasp that consept of having to spend more money on a weapon that will show it true rating only once it is fully upgraded. My other gripe is why only diamonds and not cash to upgrade a tesla?? Well any advise or encouragement to resist would be appropriated.

Comments

• try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    Just remember, higher powered weapon = higher powered opponents, but more rewards. You may find it's as hard to beat a PVP with the new weapon as it was with the old one.

That being said, in a month, it will not be a high powered weapon when the next base upgrade comes in, and another round of weapons go through the hands of global players. Plus it takes a while to upgrade to usability (my Narwhal will remain in the store until it can take out a juggernaut in one blast). And, yes only sniper and assault can you mostly (3/4) use cash to upgrade. You gotta pay to play, if not in cash, in time spent.
  • Mudbug308Mudbug308 Registered Users 65 Posts
    So basically i should wait for a higher rated once available?
  • try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    I've won two top 10 prizes in this game. The month after I got them, they were both replaced with higher rated weapons.

If you can't win a weapon, then yes, I'd buy one, even more so if you don't have one now. Just know that it will not last more than two months usefulness.

You do need a high enough power weapon to play the Heavy Tesla missions (note plural) to make some big diamond payoffs!
    Here is my thing, i purchased an eclipse tesla which just isn't cutting it so i reverted back to my8.5 neireid that works just fine as long as i charge halfway or more. The eclipse takes two or three to shots to kill in comparison. I am happy to continue this way for now but i am lacking firepower with my mercury and recently aquired fenris. Merc is fully upgraded but not the Fen. I hold my own against most opponents and usually only need one medpack per fight but lately been using two or three and now I'm out. I'd really hate to give Glu any more money but cant seem to advance any further without doing so. I am considering just using the gold if i buy some to complete my base and upgrade it to a trir 9. What you think?
  • bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    Mudbug308 wrote: »
    Here is my thing, i purchased an eclipse tesla which just isn't cutting it so i reverted back to my8.5 neireid that works just fine as long as i charge halfway or more. The eclipse takes two or three to shots to kill in comparison. I am happy to continue this way for now but i am lacking firepower with my mercury and recently aquired fenris. Merc is fully upgraded but not the Fen. I hold my own against most opponents and usually only need one medpack per fight but lately been using two or three and now I'm out. I'd really hate to give Glu any more money but cant seem to advance any further without doing so. I am considering just using the gold if i buy some to complete my base and upgrade it to a trir 9. What you think?

I have said this in several threads, but I will say it again here: It is difficult, maybe impossible, to play PVP without an idustrial strength Heavy. (Sorry, Scorpion, salt in the wound.) I hate to advocate giving money to Glu, but sooner or later you have to get a serious Heavy, and it might as well be sooner.) I won a Charon on the Amazon platform. It is 10.5 stars, maxxed out at 191.74 K power, but it is slow, has a terrible sight and is reallly klunky. i am getting killed with it (Literally). Gotta upgrade somehow, this game is about killing the other guy, not being killed.

You don't say how much you had upgraded your Eclipse, but I used it for a long while and liked it. You don't say how much you had upgraded the Eclipse, but my experience with new Teslas is that they all suck until you have upgraded them to level three. Once the Damage and Charge rate has been upgraded in level 3 they all start to rock. Charge rate is the most important upgrade. You really care about how fast they ramp up to full power. Good Luck!
  • amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    I'll agree ... the so called "secondary" weapons are the most important when it comes to PvP. They also have the longest useful lifetime. That being said, all weapons max out at some point (Glu has all but guaranteed that), but it's better to WIN a weapon than to purchase one outright.

The HEAVY weapon (hell here we go again, such as the Bastet) was up for grabs 3 weeks back in PvP and it's equivalent has only just appeared in the store and that usually signals a new class of weapon is soon to be released, so the moment you "buy" a weapon, it's already obsolete, but you'll need it to WIN PvP ... on the flip side, my current HEAVY, rated at 9.5, lasted a month or more but it IS showing it's age. That's the monthly life cycle.

Sort of like the chicken and the egg ...

Also, NEVER buy a weapon that's being offered as a TRIAL Campaign Sale Special.

Good Hunting !!!
    Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION
    I had gone about one month without giving money to Glu but broke my resolve yesterday. Purchased the Seth and of course right out the box its meh. Somewhat better then my fully upgraded mercury i have been using but again disappointing. I know i know you got to upgrade it ( spend $ ) to see it full potential. It should not be this way. I went ahead and upgraded my Eclipse to level 3 and still not seeing improvement compared to fully upgraded Nereid i have been using. In this vicious cycle we live in, i am eyeing up the Orca, what do yall think? I have to add i am somewhat impressed with the Fenris i have which at level 2 seems to do better than the starting power of my Seth.
    I should quit spending money here and go help support some young lady's college fund so she can get off that pole.
  • 6352763527 Registered Users 64 Posts
    I should quit spending money here and go help support some young lady's college fund so she can get off that pole.

You could start and help your mom.
    She retired but i hear yours is still there training your brother and sisters.
    I am trying to resist the urge to buy a new heavy even though i feel it will save me from having to spend on health packs in the future. My concern is buying a gun that is underpowered contrary to the listed rating unless you spend more money "upgrading" it. I just cant grasp that consept of having to spend more money on a weapon that will show it true rating only once it is fully upgraded. My other gripe is why only diamonds and not cash to upgrade a tesla?? Well any advise or encouragement to resist would be appropriated.

To Buy OR Not? Here is an Example of One of the FEW GOOD THINGS About This Game:

Just Starting Out ??? ... THIS IS IMPORTANT !!!

This weekend's Global PvP Features the CAIN Sniper (76.8K) TOP 10; EVE (64K) next 11-30 AND Parts (League Events)

I should mention that I am only playing for diamonds this PvP cycle so I can fully equip my NARWAHL (currently 80% Equipped) and it was never my intention to compete for another sniper, but I just couldn't pass this up because it doesn't come around very often. If you still have three (or more) campaigns open, this is a must consider; it will take you through the rest of the campaigns, which is unusual for a Sniper Rifle.

The STORE has two SNIPERS ... ADAM (10.0-51.2K) for 1.4M CASH and ADAM ELITE (10.5-76.8K) for 480 GOLD ($19.99). This SNIPER can also be fully equipped using mostly CASH.

Unless you're competing PvP for the fun of PvP or just playing for the diamonds like myself, this is a NO BRAINER since winning the equivalent weapon(s) outright would cost 10 TIMES that amount in GOLD (probably more).

The only CAVEAT is I am not sure what LEVEL you need to be at for this offer to be unlocked.

Good Hunting !!!
    Your line of thinking is why i got the Adam with in game cash hopefully so i can advance in future campaigns. It has been difficult for me to build up a good supply of diamonds lately, maybe because i am playing on my phone and just can't leave game running all the time. I am hoping to snag some on new campaign when thats out to complete upgrades to base. For now i just dump the measly few diamonds i get into the useless drone before i go offline. I have noticed this has made me a less diserable target and i dont get as upset when i log back in and see i have just lost a few diamonds.
  • Merc316Merc316 Registered Users 103 Posts
    Your line of thinking is why i got the Adam with in game cash hopefully so i can advance in future campaigns. It has been difficult for me to build up a good supply of diamonds lately, maybe because i am playing on my phone and just can't leave game running all the time. I am hoping to snag some on new campaign when thats out to complete upgrades to base. For now i just dump the measly few diamonds i get into the useless drone before i go offline. I have noticed this has made me a less diserable target and i dont get as upset when i log back in and see i have just lost a few diamonds.

That is the one thing that I have found the drone fiasco to be useful for.
  • fhookefhooke Registered Users 32 Posts

Glu has designed this game to keep taking your money. Don't do it.
    I think a good idea would be to allow us to "fuse" our older weapons to new ones. The amount of diamonds or gold spent is now just sitting there because unless one is really bored and wanting to challenge themselves using old guns on new map they are useless. Or allow us to sell them to new players. I think the latter is a more complicated process than just fusing.
    I think a good idea would be to allow us to "fuse" our older weapons to new ones. The amount of diamonds or gold spent is now just sitting there because unless one is really bored and wanting to challenge themselves using old guns on new map they are useless. Or allow us to sell them to new players. I think the latter is a more complicated process than just fusing.

Let's see if I can clear this up for ya.

(1) It may not be obvious, but the entire game is built around PvP and everything you encounter is to prepare and encourage you to compete in the tournaments, which more likely than not will require you to spend $$$ to have any realistic chance of winning.

(2) SNIPERS and ASSAULT WEAPONS can be bought AND upgraded using in-game CASH, essentially these are completely FREE.

(3) You can advance through all the campaigns in a week or two depending how much time you spend playing.

(4) Once you've finished all of your campaigns and you do not want to spend a cent, you can do that. Competing and winning PvP using only a SNIPER and ASSAULT will be extremely difficult, but NOT impossible. If you do not wish to compete in PvP, then the game is over for you (at least until the next campaign update is released).

(5) TESLAS and HEAVIES can only be bought and upgraded using DIAMONDS (which are free) and GOLD which you can buy. These weapons give you the best chance to win at PvP. You will notice that there will be TRIAL campaigns for these, as well as specials for you to buy an "entry level" weapon to get you started. They also provide a wealth of free DIAMONDS so you'll be able to upgrade your first weapon for FREE.

If you really like the game and want to try out PvP, take the plunge for GOLD. 480 BARS cost just $19.99. I think it's worth it just for the experience.

I should also mention that once you've advanced through the campaigns, you will have accumulated a nice amount of GOLD you can use towards your purchase.

The drone feature is all but broken.

If you ABSOLUTELY do not want to pay anything, then it's adios muchacho ... simple.

Good Luck and Good Hunting !!!

I JUST REALIZED THAT YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW ALL THIS ... MY BAD !!!
    Lol, yep as i was reading this i was saying it to myself. I know all of this. I figure i am at a level thats to far gone just to quit. I really wish i had found this forum when i began playing the game.
    I am just cruising the Silver League event playing for diamonds. I am the leader with 72 AP; I find this unusual because typically 1-3 players sprint to the lead and are all over 100 AP by now (of course I think many have stopped using GOLD, Kudos).

What I find to be really interesting is the 2nd RANK player (64 AP) that has been dogging me from the start has the following profile:

SNIPER: RANGER 3.0, 696
    ASSAULT: VIPER x72 3.0, 696
    TESLA: None.
    HEAVY: None.
    LEVEL 32, 1,105 VP

I wanted to mention this because, if it's accurate, it demonstrates that IT IS possible to compete PvP without overwhelming firepower AND without spending a small fortune in GOLD. It's also obvious that since he made the Silver League, he had to score at least 2,500 AP in the Global Event.

I'm not going to throw the event (that wouldn't be fun for him either) but I'll give him an honest fight AND will not spend any GOLD ... let's see if he can keep up the win streak...

Good Hunting !!!
  • bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    I would love to see how the guy does it! Obviously, the matching algorithm is working for him. He is obviously not taking out 369 K drones with his limited firepower. (interesting that the program won't let me use the word ****nal.)

The new algorithm based on weapons power is perfect for a guy with no secondary weapons at all.
    bradr752 wrote: »
    I would love to see how the guy does it! Obviously, the matching algorithm is working for him. He is obviously not taking out 369 K drones with his limited ****nal.

TRUE that's what's so intriguing !!! He isn't spending much GOLD either ... so he must be simply winning AND not losing.

A Future Champ in the Making? LOL Maybe the algorithm IS working for he and I are essentially now EQUAL with the ONLY edge ... How much GOLD would either of us be willing to spend ... Glu definitely has this down to a science :-)
    I would love to see how the guy does it! Obviously, the matching algorithm is working for him. He is obviously not taking out 369 K drones with his limited firepower. (interesting that the program won't let me use the word ****nal.)

The new algorithm based on weapons power is perfect for a guy with no secondary weapons at all.

I remember the old PC First Person Shooters. Many had a RECORD/PLAYBACK feature that allowed a battle to be recorded. That would be a "wish list" item ... but it would be nice.
  • Angels HolocaustAngels Holocaust Registered Users 571 Posts
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    I am just cruising the Silver League event playing for diamonds. I am the leader with 72 AP; I find this unusual because typically 1-3 players sprint to the lead and are all over 100 AP by now (of course I think many have stopped using GOLD, Kudos).

What I find to be really interesting is the 2nd RANK player (64 AP) that has been dogging me from the start has the following profile:

LEVEL 32, 1,105 VP

I wanted to mention this because, if it's accurate, it demonstrates that IT IS possible to compete PvP without overwhelming firepower AND without spending a small fortune in GOLD. It's also obvious that since he made the Silver League, he had to score at least 2,500 AP in the Global Event.

I'm not going to throw the event (that wouldn't be fun for him either) but I'll give him an honest fight AND will not spend any GOLD ... let's see if he can keep up the win streak...

Good Hunting !!!

It would actually be nice if you stopped because the guy can now get some rest.
    It would actually be nice if you stopped because the guy can now get some rest.

Yes I will be off to work soon anyways ... he'll get his chance then LOL
  • NoobieNoobie Registered Users 163 Posts

LEVEL 32, 1,105 VP

I wanted to mention this because, if it's accurate, it demonstrates that IT IS possible to compete PvP without overwhelming firepower AND without spending a small fortune in GOLD....
    Obviously, the matching algorithm is working for him. He is obviously not taking out 369 K drones with his limited firepower. The new algorithm based on weapons power is perfect for a guy with no secondary weapons at all.

It might be possible to compete (PvP matches) without overwhelming firepower, but what we might not know is how much med kits, grenades, rockets, etc., is he using on each match, if any. If he does use any of those, that could possibly mean using gold also..

The matching algorithm might be working for him, but what we don't know is whether or not the payouts are good, if not great. We still need diamonds (or gold) to upgrade almost everything - i.e. bases, weapons and drones.

Also, maybe it's the reason why he has participated in the Global Event and the daily league tournaments - to win high powered weapons....
    Noobie wrote: »
    It might be possible to compete (PvP matches) without overwhelming firepower, but what we might not know is how much med kits, grenades, rockets, etc., is he using on each match, if any. If he does use any of those, that could possibly mean using gold also..

The matching algorithm might be working for him, but what we don't know is whether or not the payouts are good, if not great. We still need diamonds (or gold) to upgrade almost everything - i.e. bases, weapons and drones.

Also, maybe it's the reason why he has participated in the Global Event and the daily league tournaments - to win high powered weapons....

You're right ... I didn't give much thought about him using GRENADES, et al AND he definitely wants to win that weapon since he could have purchased a similar weapon over the weekend for 480 GOLD (either he missed it OR didn't want to spend GOLD). I don't think he's going up against max'd out defenses either (those are reserved for the veterans) since his weapons would obviously be no match; if he COULD manage to stay alive, the clock would run out.

It is curious though ... maybe we're going about this all wrong LOL ... just kidding.

BTW the player's call sign is WINNY ... could be a female ** SMILES **
    Sounds like an inside job to me, could be wrong but what better way to trigger the competitive spirit by doing this thus in the end relieving us of $. I have been taken down by some of these "players" and wonder how that match up system works since i have a higher base level and cough cough stronger weapons. I am continuing to upgrade Eclipse to almost full level 4 and still not impressed.
    I am eyeing up the Orca but may wait to see what next update brings
    Sounds like an inside job to me, could be wrong but what better way to trigger the competitive spirit by doing this thus in the end relieving us of $. I have been taken down by some of these "players" and wonder how that match up system works since i have a higher base level and cough cough stronger weapons. I am continuing to upgrade Eclipse to almost full level 4 and still not impressed.

That is definitely possible, no doubt, but wouldn't it be humbling to think a 12 yo girl was making us look like fools?

Also, when your ECLIPSE is fully equipped, though rated at 9.5, you'll be winning LONG battles with a little less stress (conditioning has made you better too); 10.5 rated TESLA get's you back to where we once were. I recently upgraded from ECLIPSE to NARWAHL (won the NARWAHL using the ELCIPSE), so I'm familiar with both weapons. The SHORT odyssey continues however ...

*** SMILES ***

LEVEL 32, 1,105 VP

Good Hunting !!!

I wanted to follow up on this so as to complete the thread (so to speak).

The player won the League Event and also won a new SNIPER in the process; EVE RATED 10.5 POWER 64K. I came in second collecting 16 PARTS leaving me with 12 PARTS to complete the EVE and another day of competition. Neither of us spent any GOLD from what I can tell (except for battle equipment possibly). So there it is ... you CAN compete PvP, even with seemingly no chance at all of winning ... KUDOS

Good Luck and Good Hunting !!!

FOOTNOTE: he/she is back on Day #3 (trying out that new weapon, no doubt) nipping at my heals again

*** SMILES ***