Using My Android Tablet As A Game Console

amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
I've been thinking about this for awhile and have finally worked out the technical details.

The GOAL is to play CKS on a wide screen HDTV. Android's ability to display video and web pages on a wide screen HDTV have been featured since version 4.4. Inexpensive microUSB-to-HDMI adapters worked well for this. There were a few obstacles that needed to be overcome in order to make your tablet resemble and function as a true gaming console like a PlayStation or XBOX.

The first thing that came to mind was bluetooth. BT was fine for A/V but didn't measure up as an interface for gaming; the latency was to great. So this is what I tasked myself with.

(1) Playing a game on your tablet and "casting" your display to another device is fine BUT useless since you're looking at the TABLET while playing. It might be great for spectators, but does nothing for the player.

(2) Using the games' touch screen controls while displaying the screen on another device is also problematic; again you must look at your TABLET to use the game controls so displaying your screen on another device is useless for much the same reason as obstacle #1.

(3) Use a traditional wireless game controller to control the game functions, like MOVING and FIRING a weapon, subsequently freeing your hands from "touching" the TABLET at all.

I have worked all of this out (on paper) technically. The most important aspect (needs a little programming to make it work) is not only to "map" the touch screen controls to a BUTTON, JOYSTICK or TRIGGER on the game controller, but to do it efficiently so that there is little or no lag time; we definitely don't need anymore lagging behind in CKS. The programming part is required since CKS doesn't support the use of game controllers; so I said why not write the interface myself.

I'll be testing this over the next couple of weeks, when time permits, and I'll keep you apprised of my progress.

Good Hunting !!!
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION

Comments

• straightshooterstraightshooter Registered Users 1,231 Posts
    What's the largest screen tablet available? I'm thinking going android the kindle hdx is comfortable to hold so wondered if bigger might not be comfortable long periods gaming?
    ( + )
  • amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    What's the largest screen tablet available? I'm thinking going android the kindle hdx is comfortable to hold so wondered if bigger might not be comfortable long periods gaming?

I've seen 9-10" models going for as little as $299 depending on capacity and other bells and whistles.
  • straightshooterstraightshooter Registered Users 1,231 Posts
    Thanks 10" sounds about right otherwise I can see device becoming uncomfortable to hold weightwise
    ( + )
    Thanks 10" sounds about right otherwise I can see device becoming uncomfortable to hold weightwise

Well playing the way we do in CKS, holding ANYTHING for as long as we do becomes uncomfortable after awhile ... that's why I'm trying to make it so I don't need to touch the tablet at all. I can sit down in my recliner and rest my hands in my lap.

Another good reason for picking up an Android Table is you can do things with it that are impossible with Apple's devices since they won't let tinker around with it in any way AND they're cheap.

*** SMILES ***
  • warrior202warrior202 Registered Users 401 Posts
    You are doing good job scropion. :-)
    Game is just for FUN. Enjoy it guys.
    warrior202 wrote: »
    You are doing good job scropion. :-)

JEEZ ... this post is nearly 2 years old; how did you guys dredge this one up? LMAO

BTW I did actually get this to work with an XBOX 360 Wireless Controller ...
    ... WOW seems like centuries ago. :cool:
    Lol. I saw recent message so thought its new post. Good to see you did this before 2 years..
    Well 2 years ago, I was having so much fun that I took it upon myself to improve upon the game. :cool:

As you can see, nobody was very much interested in playing CKS on an HDTV. *ugh* ...
    ... I never really quite understood why?

At first targeting was a pain since the controller was much more "sensitive" than touch controls ...
    ... but eventually, I was able to adapt.

It all seems like such a distant (but pleasurable) memory now.

Oh Well ... Onward and Upward !!!
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    Well 2 years ago, I was having so much fun that I took it upon myself to improve upon the game. :cool:

As you can see, nobody was very much interested in playing CKS on an HDTV. *ugh* ...
    ... I never really quite understood why?

At first targeting was a pain since the controller was much more "sensitive" than touch controls ...
    ... but eventually, I was able to adapt.

It all seems like such a distant (but pleasurable) memory now.

Oh Well ... Onward and Upward !!!

I like it and I also did some such experiments. :-)