Options

Weapons Power Ratings ... True OR False?

amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
Most expect that when they PURCHASE or WIN a new weapon based on rating that it will be effective against a DEFENSE TIER with a similar rating.

For example ... an 11.0 RATED weapon should be able to battle an 11.0 RATED DEFENSE with a reasonable expectation of winning ... EVEN ODDS if you will.

On the contrary, you must fully equip that weapon for it to be effective.

My proposal is quite simple and requires very little effort to implement.

Drop the weapons rating DOWN one notch, after all an 11.0 is REALLY a 10.0. Equipping it would give you a better chance at actually WINNING battles instead of providing the "bare bones" necessities to compete.

Once in place, the match making algorithm will take care of itself. Simply put, your 10.5 MEDUSA (now rated at 11.5) will put you up against 10.0 DEFENSES most of the time, where it is effective. Equipping it to reach 11.5 (currently rated at 12.5) will make you more effective against 11.0 DEFENSES.

The BOTTOM LINE ??? When we BUY an 11.5 ... We EXPECT an 11.5 !!!

What Say You ???
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    The unrealistic weapons rating system is at the core of all of the complaints about matchups. Theoretically, matching a base with an equivalent weapon rating should yield a fair contest, but as everybody knows it does not. Unfortunately, this will not be easy since everybody will complain if the nominal power of their weapons were reduced to a reasonable figure.

Simply raising the Base rating would not work either because of the disparity between Long and Short Bases.

Turning to the weapon classes, this is a total mess. The Sniper is joke in PVP and perhaps should not even be mentioned, but my 118 K Adam Elite Sniper could not take on a 92 K Long with a dozen Medkits and an hour to duck and run. It is rated 10.5 but clearly could not take on a Level 10 Long defense.

The Sniper is not much better. While a 10.5 Assault weapon can overcome it Level 10 Short. It is only with great difficulty. My Jormungandr is rated 115 K, but has difficulty with 69 K defenses.

The situation with Teslas is a little better. The are a versatile weapon. and will play to their rating. of the four classes of weapon, they come the closest to matching Defense ratings.

The Heavies are another story. I am told that the 373 K top end Heavy, the Garuda Elite, 11.5 stars, fully upgraded, still requires a Medkit to get through a 92 K defense, even without the involvement of an enemy Drone.

One additional problem with attacking Level 11 defenses that deserves mention: Rocket and Grenades are no longer effective against hardened Level 11 defenders. (Weirdly, Knives still work like a charm.) This means that your mis-matched weapon is your only resource.

In short, the ratings are, no surprise to anybody, a mess.
  • Options
    bradr752 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this will not be easy since everybody will complain if the nominal power of their weapons were reduced to a reasonable figure.

Think it through for a moment ... if your weapon "RATING" is dropped, your weapon's POWER doesn't change ONLY the strength of your opponents are affected. As players, we're not losing anything ... we're simply putting the DEFENSE in it's place.

After all we're not battling for having the prestige of a 12.0 weapon, we're battling to WIN, right?

To fully understand the implications, one must descend into the depths of GLU mentality. WEAPONS RATINGS are really what DEFENSE you'll be matched against. DEFENSE RATINGS are really the WEAPONS ratings of your opponent. In a "normal" world this doesn't make much sense on the surface, but in the GLU FACTORY ..... up means down, down means up and dropping a weapon's rating means more wins.

It seems fate truly does have a cruel sense of irony ... Each and Every time you upgrade your DEFENSE, you're handing your opponent a stronger weapon. Each and Every time you upgrade your WEAPON you're pitted against a stronger opponent ...

Yet another example of GLU CIRCULAR REASONING !!! The treadmill continues to spin.

You're also correct regarding ROCKETS. I have found one particular good use for them though ...

... The "KILL" SHOT ...

when the graphics are going crazy and if you can get a clear shot at the spook, use a rocket.
  • Options
    straightshooterstraightshooter Registered Users 1,231 Posts
    Knives and med kits only useful items now, grenades and rockets now defunct in my opinion
    ( + )
  • Options
    Knives and med kits only useful items now, grenades and rockets now defunct in my opinion

The GLU FACTORY mentality ... use a KNIFE when a GRENADE just won't do LMAO There's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a KNIFE to a gun battle.
  • Options
    Grenades definately have a longer range but not guaranteed kill, and using three rockets to a kill makes waiting for tesla to charge up easier than trying to do 3 rocket salvos
    ( + )
  • Options
    As a FOOTNOTE to dropping weapons ratings. It really is only required for the SHORT range ASSAULT and HEAVY. Dropping the WEAPON RATING on this class of weapons will bring SHORTS back in line with LONGS and solve the "out of balance" mystery.

This all assumes of course, that GLU actually wants to resolve the issue. I'm starting to believe that it was their intention all along ... but that would be paranoia kicking in again. LOL
  • Options
    My 11.5 star short range weapons make 92k bases tough to beat so this does need to be fixed to make it a level playing field
    ( + )
  • Options
    NoobieNoobie Registered Users 163 Posts
    Something else still doesn't make sense.

A Bastet, which has a power rating of X-10.5, has a maximum power level of 157.18K, fully upgraded.

A Medusa, which has a power rating of X-11.5, has a power level range between 192K and 314.57K.

Why is it that a Medusa is not any better out of the box with the initial power level at 192K than a fully upgraded Bastet with 157.18K?
  • Options
    Noobie wrote: »
    Something else still doesn't make sense.

A Bastet, which has a power rating of X-10.5, has a maximum power level of 157.18K, fully upgraded.

A Medusa, which has a power rating of X-11.5, has a power level range between 192K and 314.57K.

Why is it that a Medusa is not any better out of the box with the initial power level at 192K than a fully upgraded Bastet with 157.18K?

Because of the power rating, the MEDUSA is less effective against a TIER 11 than a BASTET would be against a TIER 10. But also remember that the BASTET is useless against a TIER 11 and the MEDUSA would demolish a TIER 10 ... just to be fair.

But the scales do not balance out. Think of a TIER 11 (compared to a TIER 10) being not just a "linear" step up, it's more like multiplying the difficulty as opposed to adding it. The problem is the weapons ratings DO NOT follow the same rules, so simply going from a weapon rated at 10.0 to one rated at 11.0 actually makes your PvP battles more difficult ... that's the trap, and a very well designed trap it is.

The only way, as I see it, is to either make the rated weapons STONGER or drop the rating itself down a notch so the MEDUSA is now a 10.5. This will not change the weapons power, but it WILL pit you against opponents that are more evenly matched. I would also add that my 9.5 MERCURY was effective against TIER 10 defenses; so is my 11.5 MEDUSA ... but not ta the level one might expect.

You can't ignore your base upgrades. The player HEALTH component is just as important as your weapons strength, consequently, getting to far ahead of yourself by grabbing an 11.5 weapon with a TIER 9 DEFENSE, for example, makes you so vulnerable to attacks that it makes the weapon upgrade look even worse. Plan carefully BEFORE going after a stronger weapon.

Strangely enough, this lopsidedness only exist for the SHORT range class of weapons. A program bug or deliberate intent ... we'll never know.
  • Options
    concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    Most expect that when they PURCHASE or WIN a new weapon based on rating that it will be effective against a DEFENSE TIER with a similar rating.

For example ... an 11.0 RATED weapon should be able to battle an 11.0 RATED DEFENSE with a reasonable expectation of winning ... EVEN ODDS if you will.

On the contrary, you must fully equip that weapon for it to be effective.

My proposal is quite simple and requires very little effort to implement.

Drop the weapons rating DOWN one notch, after all an 11.0 is REALLY a 10.0. Equipping it would give you a better chance at actually WINNING battles instead of providing the "bare bones" necessities to compete.

Once in place, the match making algorithm will take care of itself. Simply put, your 10.5 MEDUSA (now rated at 11.5) will put you up against 10.0 DEFENSES most of the time, where it is effective. Equipping it to reach 11.5 (currently rated at 12.5) will make you more effective against 11.0 DEFENSES.

The BOTTOM LINE ??? When we BUY an 11.5 ... We EXPECT an 11.5 !!!

What Say You ???

Could not agree more with your line of reasoning. However, you are making to much sense, so we know that Glu will never even consider addressing the issue.
    If they make it so that we have to buy more medkits to survive, all the better for Glu.
  • Options
    concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts
    bradr752 wrote: »
    The Heavies are another story. I am told that the 373 K top end Heavy, the Garuda Elite, 11.5 stars, fully upgraded, still requires a Medkit to get through a 92 K defense, even without the involvement of an enemy Drone.

In short, the ratings are, no surprise to anybody, a mess.

This just fantastic and unbelievable. If a fully upgrade GARUDA ELITE has trouble taking on a Tier 11 92K defense, what hope do the rest of us have?

But then it is believable, after all this is Glu thinking that we are talking about.
  • Options
    One of the aspects of weapons power that hasn't been mentioned is the phenomenon of decrease in apparent weapon over time. I got starting thinking about this is the process of playing the Ascension campaign to get game $ to upgrade my Guilar Assault. The missions are a rehash of old missions, nothing new. The opponents look the same but the the old Sniper or Assault weapon won't take them out any more. It is not just that we are getting tougher opponents in PVP, the campaign targets have been hardened requiring a higher rated weapon, even though they are really the same old tired missions you have seen in earlier campaigns.
  • Options
    Before i go for any higher rated weapons I'm going to max out my 11.5 shorts and 10.5 longs to see where i stand in pvp i always felt a half maxed weapon of 1 star less was stronger thanthe next star up with no upgrades ignoring what the power k ratings say
    ( + )
  • Options
    Before i go for any higher rated weapons I'm going to max out my 11.5 shorts and 10.5 longs to see where i stand in pvp i always felt a half maxed weapon of 1 star less was stronger thanthe next star up with no upgrades ignoring what the power k ratings say

My maxxed out 10.5 Walrus Tesla does great against 92 K Long defenses. My maxxed out 11.5 Medusa Heavy struggles against 92 K Short defenses, requiring the use of a Medkit 60% of the time.
  • Options
    NK14NK14 Registered Users 300 Posts
    I've quit fighting short bases weeks ago! :-)
    You will go where you look at...
  • Options
    The power "K" rating don't mean much until you're fully equipped and even then they are suspect.

The "spooks" in the campaign maps are exactly the same and if you use an older weapon it doesn't seem to be as powerful, yet it too is exactly the same.

What has changed is your BASE TIER and the acquisition of new and more powerful weapons (supposedly). I know it's hard to get your head around this, but it's the only reasonable explanation. The stronger your weapons become, the less effective they are in battle since your opponents apparently become harder to kill.

This is the "true" merry-go-round !!!
  • Options
    Therein lies the answer now I know where i was truly going wrong! Avoid shorts no medkit required
    ( + )
  • Options
    Therein lies the answer now I know where i was truly going wrong! Avoid shorts no medkit required

There you go ...
  • Options

I agree with you about avoiding Short defenses, particularly during Events. I just became bored with the endless Long battles and it was worth a Medkit to get some variety. My current rules in PVP contests: Take Longs over 10 K diamonds, take Shorts over 15 K Diamonds (to compensate for Medkit), avoid Drones anytime.
  • Options
    So how do we get out of this endless cycle of parity on the SHORTS?

(1) Adjust the weapon power rating so that an 11.5 is an 11.5 out of the box and can be equipped to reach the equivalent power of a 12.0-12.5.

(2) Drop the weapons rating so that the 11.5 is matched against an opponent that has the resilience of a 10.0 (achieved by changing the weapons rating to 10.5).

(3) Buy a 12.5 HEAVY straight out and put this puppy to bed once and forever, provided they post it up in the store ... LOL ... you'll be right back where you started when the TIER 12s come out.

This is all hypothetical and will NEVER be implemented by GLU because this scenario is exactly what they wanted in the first place.
  • Options
    Drones slow down frame rate but are easy prey to a well placed tesla shot
    ( + )
  • Options
    Drones slow down frame rate but are easy prey to a well placed tesla shot

ABSOLUTELY ... your TESLA has been and always will be your BEST friend unless GLU decides to come after the LONGS as well. I've become adept at guessing where the spook will rear his head and timing the charge so that it fires when/where it's supposed to.
  • Options
    Best feature of tesla ability to shoot through walls when fully charged they can run but they can't hide drone also useful for marking location of your primary target sitting just above or appearing where they are about to go
    ( + )
  • Options
    Update appears to have redressed the balance back in pvp i can actually win some without using store bought item's
    ( + )
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    Update appears to have redressed the balance back in pvp i can actually win some without using store bought item's

Our update doesn't come 'til tomorrow afternoon? Was there a interim content update? Can't wait to see frame rate improvements! If it goes the other direction, our Global will be toast!
  • Options
    Pvp easier at the mo please don't change it again was starting to enjoy game again
    ( + )
  • Options
    Mudbug308Mudbug308 Registered Users 65 Posts
    The new update seems to have evened things out for now although I'm sure it won't last. The weapons power rating was/is misleading in my opinion. I wished the campaign enemies level rating was consistent with pvp that way after you buy a weapon it can be tested there so one would know wheter to shelve it until fully upgraded or roll with it. Not sure if game automatically adjusts your opponents just because you have aquired a stronger weapon or waits until it's equipped. I read a comment here about upgrading player health to help in pvp matches but that seems to need improvement. Most all other games we play when you get to the main boss/us, our palms would begin to sweat because we knew the main battle was on. Not the case here, the main guy is generally a pushover, i fear a juggernaut more than him. What do yall think
  • Options
    I'll agree ... The JUGG is the big boy on the block ... only a fully charged TESLA blast to the head is a guaranteed kill shot. In shorts the ONLY way to attack a JUGG is when he's NOT attacking you ... an empty ASSAULT clip or sustained HEAVY fire will take him out.
  • Options
    Some lucky ******* just got me for 38k diamonds, time to shift gears and upgrade base and hopefully slow the bleeding. After update opponents seem easier but for how long. Figure when they notice we aren't buying medkits like crazy something will change.
  • Options
    Talking about the JUGG, that sob's aim seems to be dead on against me followed by the aggravating shotgun guys.