Options

HANDLES: Global PvP AP Totals and Weapon(s) / Parts Awards

amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
Greetings HANDLES,

This is an "inquiring minds want to know" type message and could also serve as my recommending a solution to a future problem that may affect the players as well as GLU Mobile.

I am sure you can verify what I am about to describe, independently, using your available resources.

Prior to the CKS v3.0 release in early May, the following Global PvP statistics were somewhat consistent, varying by no more than say +-500 AP:

Google Android
RANK #1: 18,000-20,000 AP
RANK #30: 9,000 AP
RANK #90: 7,000 AP
RANK #250: 5,000 AP

Since then the AP total required to reach these key RANKING milestones have increased significantly:

Google Android
RANK #1: 40,000+ AP
RANK #30: 20,000+ AP
RANK #85 8,300 AP (my last successful attempt to WIN 35 parts; 2 weeks ago)
RANK #90: 8,600+ (latest)
RANK #177: 5,555 (latest Global finish won 20 parts)
RANK #250: 5,000+

The problem here is not the increasing scores, per se, but rather the threshold(s) to reach the 35 PARTS award versus qualifying for the GOLD LEAGUE, that as I understand it, does not recognize PARTS won in the Global PvP Event.

There were several players that actually lost track of their AP total while trying to win the 35 PARTS and landed in the GOLD league only to find out that the parts they had expended so much time and GOLD to win, were now rendered useless.

In fact many of the more experienced players had to "slam on the brakes", including myself, before the event was finished for fear of qualifying for the GOLD LEAGUE.

I am certain that many others suffered the same fate, in the very least the 60 or so players caught between RANK #30 and RANK #90.

The logical progression from GOLD qualification of 8,500 AP and RANK #30 AWARD of 9,000 AP clearly no longer exists. In fact, if my predictions are accurate, the 35 PART award will become meaningless since to attain enough AP to earn that award will place the player in the GOLD LEAGUE where they are useless.

To further complicate the issue, the SILVER LEAGUE events have become so competitive that RANK #22 scored 100 VP ... this was for a SNIPER rifle. The net effect being that to WIN a league event outright and collect the remaining parts from the 2 remaining events is becoming a luxury that only the modest-heavy spenders can afford.

So in conclusion, the weapons awards structure is becoming, if hasn't already become, obsolete and are no longer in line with the current AP scoring trends. I believe that this will result in fewer players competing in PvP which would be in direct conflict of making the battles more evenly matched for these very same players; this is what CKS 3.0 was primarily designed to accomplish, or so it appears.

All I ask is that this be treated with the apparent urgency that it deserves.

What are your thoughts?
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION

Comments

• Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    You may want to suggest some solutions other than raising the gold milestone to 20,000+.

Someone said they would like a choice at the beginning of the leagues - go to gold league, or go to silver league.
  • Options
    try_again wrote: »
    You may want to suggest some solutions other than raising the gold milestone to 20,000+.

Someone said they would like a choice at the beginning of the leagues - go to gold league, or go to silver league.

Good point ... carrying over PARTS into the GOLD LEAGUE might also be an idea. Raising the GOLD LEAGUE milestone to 20,000 is too drastic since only the TOP 30 would be able to qualify (the way it was **SMILES**) ... somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 would be more realistic and dropping the 35 PARTS award qualification from RANK #90 to maybe RANK#120-150.

After all we do want GLU to meet us somewhere in the middle ... :-)

HANDLES ... weapons and parts cost GLU nothing to award, since revenue is derived from the GOLD spent. The same GOLD needs to be spent to reach an AP total ... all we're asking is for an award for our troubles and a realistic chance at winning 35 (usable) PARTS.
  • Options
    NK14NK14 Registered Users 300 Posts
    What is a must though is fixing the issue with 35 parts for people in the gold league but don't make top-30.
    Another idea could be that milestones are flexible, adjusting every time to the Global's competition.
    But this is probably too good (for us) to be discussed.

Cheers
    You will go where you look at...
  • Options
    NK14 wrote: »
    What is a must though is fixing the issue with 35 parts for people in the gold league but don't make top-30.
    Another idea could be that milestones are flexible, adjusting every time to the Global's competition.
    But this is probably too good (for us) to be discussed.

Cheers

No I wouldn't say 'too good" for one simple reason ... the AP ($$$) required to reach a given milestone doesn't change, only the award structure should change for reaching that milestone; it doesn't cost GLU a penny to hand out awards. Without a proper "carrot" in place, it DOES discourage players from trying to reach that milestone which would eventually result in lower AP scores and lost revenue to GLU.

Using "very" round numbers and assuming that most of the AP scored is actually paid for using $$$ (GOLD purchases) and using a baseline of 1,000 GOLD gets you 1,000 AP once you exceed the maximum possible FREE AP of 7,000 AP:

The TOP 30 could bring in as much as $1M in revenue for any given Weekly Event Series.

The next 1,000 players could gross GLU $2M ... roughly twice the amount earned from the TOP 30.

The rest of the field are statistically insignificant.

Now I'm not privy to the actual numbers and I'm certainly no accountant, but I feel they are in the ballpark. Even if the totals are off, the ratio would still remain ... the TOP 30 only represent 1/3 of the revenue pie, admittedly a large slice, but still only 1/3.

They've got to keep the other 2/3 in the game and spending GOLD to reach these milestones. Of course, some players will continue to dump GOLD believing that there will be an award given for their efforts AND that is where the problem lies, in my humble opinion.

The TOP prize for the average player is the 35 PARTS which requires GOLD. 20 PARTS can be won for free, so I'm not taking that into consideration here.
  • Options
    bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    I have struggled with this one for a while and altering the threshold doesn't solve the problem. My solution is create a seperate Gold League bracket for people who made the Gold League but didn't get the weapon. Let them play for parts.
  • Options
    bradr752 wrote: »
    I have struggled with this one for a while and altering the threshold doesn't solve the problem. My solution is create a seperate Gold League bracket for people who made the Gold League but didn't get the weapon.

That would work. What about simply using the parts in the GOLD LEAGUE as in the SILVER LEAGUE?
  • Options
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    That would work. What about simply using the parts in the GOLD LEAGUE as in the SILVER LEAGUE?

The problem with that is that you would people who just one the top weapon and people who just won the second weapon who don't need the parts.

The only people who would compete for parts are those 8500+ outside Top 30.
  • Options
    The problem with that is that you would people who just one the top weapon and people who just won the second weapon who don't need the parts.

The only people who would compete for parts are those 8500+ outside Top 30.

OK so we're really talking about another league (bracket or otherwise). How about a PLATINUM LEAGUE? **SMILES**

Either way, the milestone AP totals thresholds would still need to be adjusted, I would think ... no?

BTW I suppose you can tell, I'm bored ...
  • Options
    OK so we're really talking about another league (bracket or otherwise). How about a PLATINUM LEAGUE? **SMILES**

Either way, the milestone AP totals thresholds would still need to be adjusted, I would think ... no?

BTW I suppose you can tell, I'm bored ...

That's exactly the flexibility I was talking about Scorpion. You called it PLATINUM League. Thank you. I will adopt this term if that's OK with you. In Platinum league, only people with more than 8499AP but out of TOP-30 can participate. We need to think about the prize structure. Maybe a 3rd weapon?
  • Options
    That's exactly the flexibility I was talking about Scorpion. You called it PLATINUM League. Thank you. I will adopt this term if that's OK with you. In Platinum league, only people with more than 8499AP but out of TOP-30 can participate. We need to think about the prize structure. Maybe a 3rd weapon?

No problems from SCORPION ... take the ball and run with it My Man.
  • Options
    Call it the Lexus League, for people with more money than good sense. (No offense meant, Lexus owners)
  • Options
    Call it the Lexus League, for people with more money than good sense. (No offense meant, Lexus owners)

Not much of LEXUS fan either but I'll stick with the Platinum League. It's more ele(xus)gant!
  • Options
    Greetings HANDLES,

This is an "inquiring minds want to know" type message and could also serve as my recommending a solution to a future problem that may affect the players as well as GLU Mobile.

I am sure you can verify what I am about to describe, independently, using your available resources.

Prior to the CKS v3.0 release in early May, the following Global PvP statistics were somewhat consistent, varying by no more than say +-500 AP:

Google Android
    RANK #1: 18,000-20,000 AP
    RANK #30: 9,000 AP
    RANK #90: 7,000 AP
    RANK #250: 5,000 AP

Since then the AP total required to reach these key RANKING milestones have increased significantly:

Google Android
    RANK #85 8,300 AP (my last successful attempt to WIN 35 parts; 2 weeks ago)
    RANK #90: 8,600+ (latest)
    RANK #177: 5,555 (latest Global finish won 20 parts)
    RANK #250: 5,000+

The problem here is not the increasing scores, per se, but rather the threshold(s) to reach the 35 PARTS award versus qualifying for the GOLD LEAGUE, that as I understand it, does not recognize PARTS won in the Global PvP Event.

There were several players that actually lost track of their AP total while trying to win the 35 PARTS and landed in the GOLD league only to find out that the parts they had expended so much time and GOLD to win, were now rendered useless.

In fact many of the more experienced players had to "slam on the brakes", including myself, before the event was finished for fear of qualifying for the GOLD LEAGUE.

I am certain that many others suffered the same fate, in the very least the 60 or so players caught between RANK #30 and RANK #90.

The logical progression from GOLD qualification of 8,500 AP and RANK #30 AWARD of 9,000 AP clearly no longer exists. In fact, if my predictions are accurate, the 35 PART award will become meaningless since to attain enough AP to earn that award will place the player in the GOLD LEAGUE where they are useless.

To further complicate the issue, the SILVER LEAGUE events have become so competitive that RANK #22 scored 100 VP ... this was for a SNIPER rifle. The net effect being that to WIN a league event outright and collect the remaining parts from the 2 remaining events is becoming a luxury that only the modest-heavy spenders can afford.

So in conclusion, the weapons awards structure is becoming, if hasn't already become, obsolete and are no longer in line with the current AP scoring trends. I believe that this will result in fewer players competing in PvP which would be in direct conflict of making the battles more evenly matched for these very same players; this is what CKS 3.0 was primarily designed to accomplish, or so it appears.

All I ask is that this be treated with the apparent urgency that it deserves.

What are your thoughts?

Dear HANDLES

Less than 10 days passed and Scorpion's predictions became reality now.
    Here are the stats of last week's Global:

GOOGLE ANDROID GLOBAL EVENT 07/09/15 6 HOURS REMAINING

RANK #1 54,118
    RANK #2 49,057
    RANK #3 40,507
    RANK #10 34,021
    RANK #30 22,122
    RANK #226 6,488

It is now obvious that something needs to be done from the development team to resolve this.
    If you read this thread top to bottom, you will come across some pretty good ideas/suggestions that might facilitate a win/win solution for GLU and the players.
    Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
    NK14
  • Options
    The following update needs to be incorporated. Once that is done, I'll delete this post ... Great Job !!!

Google Android
    RANK #85 8,300 AP (my last successful attempt to WIN 35 parts; 3-4 weeks ago)
    RANK #90: 8,600+ (last week)
    RANK #177: 5,555 (Global finish won 20 parts - 2x weeks back)
    RANK #247: 6,500 (Global finish won 20 parts - 1x weeks back))
    RANK #250: 5,000+ (2 weeks ago)
    RANK #250: 6,000+ (1 week ago)
  • Options
    Come on Handles, at least tell us you saw this request and that it lies with dev team. Please? :)
  • Options
    Well NK14, I suppose they'll need to learn the hard way.

FOR ALL GOOGLE ANDROID USERS ... THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT !!!

To bring you quickly up to date, the Google Android Platform version of CKS is a train wreck waiting to happen and it's not a matter of IF but WHEN. My latest projections indicate that it could be as soon as the upcoming TESLA Global Event, so I wanted to educate, anyone and everyone who is interested, what to expect.

We've all run into bottle necks while playing the Global ... you seem to hit a point where consecutive victories do not advance you anywhere in RANK. If you were persistent and spent a modest amount of GOLD, you were able to break the log jam and continue normal play.

This time will be different. Late on DAY #3 going into early DAY #4 is when I believe this will hit. As you close in on the 20 PARTS threshold of RANK #250 (it could very well start sooner than that) you will get that "crowded in" sort of feeling. You cannot break though THIS log jam and the best you can hope to accomplish is maintain your position and hopefully take home 20 parts.

The real downside, as if the above was not bad enough, is that for you to "maintain" your position will require more and more AP. This past Global (as an experiment) I needed to score a whopping 6,588 AP to finish at RANK #247 and win 20 PARTS. This was up sharply from the previous Global, and so on. So you'll find yourself dumping GOLD, TIME and EFFORT into a situation that WILL NOT ADVANCE you anywhere. The best you can hope for is to maintain your position.

My advice would be to skip all future events until a resolution is settled upon and implemented. But for the hard heads amongst us who feel they can "buck the odds" ... you have been warned.
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    There's a related problem to the Weapons Awards and the AP scoring trends that has an effect on both Google, iOS and Amazon lower Tier players, particularly below Tier 8 or 9 who can win and make the mistake of crafting these weapons thinking that will help them in future events and leagues. But in reality, it can cause the game to become completely un-winable, at least with respect to upgrades using diamonds!

I don't want to dilute the importance of this thread, but just mention that it may be a good idea to start segmenting the Global Event into some Tier structure as well. This would stop a Tier 5 player misstakenly winning a current super weapon (x12) and completely ruining his PVP experience!

This may be very rare on Google Play, but being on Amazon, I have a Tier 5 account where I now have 4 11.5 to 12.5 weapons that are waiting to be crafted. If I did so with the present matchup structure, it would be suicide for this account, and I would no longer be an active player. My parts (50 each) are just waiting unused until I can reach a Tier 9 at least to craft them.

So, Yes to segmenting both Global Events by adding a Platinum or Tier structure to these competitions!
  • Options
    try_again wrote: »
    There's a related problem to the Weapons Awards and the AP scoring trends that has an effect on both Google, iOS and Amazon lower Tier players, particularly below Tier 8 or 9 who can win and make the mistake of crafting these weapons thinking that will help them in future events and leagues. But in reality, it can cause the game to become completely un-winable, at least with respect to upgrades using diamonds!

I don't want to dilute the importance of this thread, but just mention that it may be a good idea to start segmenting the Global Event into some Tier structure as well. This would stop a Tier 5 player misstakenly winning a current super weapon (x12) and completely ruining his PVP experience!

This may be very rare on Google Play, but being on Amazon, I have a Tier 5 account where I now have 4 11.5 to 12.5 weapons that are waiting to be crafted. If I did so with the present matchup structure, it would be suicide for this account, and I would no longer be an active player. My parts (50 each) are just waiting unused until I can reach a Tier 9 at least to craft them.

So, Yes to segmenting both Global Events by adding a Platinum or Tier structure to these competitions!

Mistakenly winning a 12.5 weapon? I don't think I would call that a problem, per se. As for the weapons waiting to be crafted, don't worry, they will be obsolete soon enough.

Getting back to "structured" events, I suppose you would want some sort of "safety net" to protect you from yourself? That would be a nice concept that I shall definitely keep in mind, if and when we ever start getting any feedback from GLU.

PS ... I'll let you in on a little secret, increasing weapons power ratings does NOTHING to improve your chances at winning; after 60% equipped it's basically the same lower rated weapon you just traded "down" for. At 100% equipped you'll start to see some improvement in performance, but that's negated by the tougher opponents you'll be facing ... it's all BS.
  • Options
    bajancatbajancat Registered Users 139 Posts
    Mistakenly winning a 12.5 weapon? I don't think I would call that a problem, per se. As for the weapons waiting to be crafted, don't worry, they will be obsolete soon enough.

Getting back to "structured" events, I suppose you would want some sort of "safety net" to protect you from yourself? That would be a nice concept that I shall definitely keep in mind, if and when we ever start getting any feedback from GLU.

From my observation, I was fine with the PVP competition I was drawing with my 11.5 heavy/tesla until I reached the upgrade 'tipping point'. I remember it clearly... I had my 11.5 heavy just over 50% upgraded and then once I completed 1 more upgrade, I was immediately hit with fully upgraded 12 bases. I now get a steady stream of shorts with full 12 bases and generally 369K drones... I keep passing until I get one that is realistic... expensive, but keeps the streaks alive.

So, now I won't upgrade a weapon past 50% until I get a higher level weapon to replace it...
  • Options
    Crafty042Crafty042 Registered Users 255 Posts

PS ... I'll let you in on a little secret, increasing weapons power ratings does NOTHING to improve your chances at winning; after 60% equipped it's basically the same lower rated weapon you just traded "down" for. At 100% equipped you'll start to see some improvement in performance, but that's negated by the tougher opponents you'll be facing ... it's all BS.

They won't be obsolete if crafted once you are at the base level to use them. They'll still be handy while you level your base up.
  • Options
    bajancat wrote: »
    From my observation, I was fine with the PVP competition I was drawing with my 11.5 heavy/tesla until I reached the upgrade 'tipping point'. I remember it clearly... I had my 11.5 heavy just over 50% upgraded and then once I completed 1 more upgrade, I was immediately hit with fully upgraded 12 bases. I now get a steady stream of shorts with full 12 bases and generally 369K drones... I keep passing until I get one that is realistic... expensive, but keeps the streaks alive.

So, now I won't upgrade a weapon past 50% until I get a higher level weapon to replace it...

To add insult to injury, your new 50% upgraded weapon is no better than the previous weapon you owned (100% equipped). I suspect there are many who do not upgrade their weapons at all ... Hmmm curious concept, I'm not too sure I would choose that as a strategy, but it is curious.
  • Options
    Crafty042 wrote: »
    They won't be obsolete if crafted once you are at the base level to use them. They'll still be handy while you level your base up.

Point well taken and the caveat has been noted ... thx CRAFTY.
  • Options
    To add insult to injury, your new 50% upgraded weapon is no better than the previous weapon you owned (100% equipped). I suspect there are many who do not upgrade their weapons at all ... Hmmm curious concept, I'm not too sure I would choose that as a strategy, but it is curious.

Well, funny you should mention that...

I restarted CKS on a different platform... because I'm a sucker for punishment... and am using that very strategy. I only upgrade the weapon enough to get through most of the missions (I want the gold and Lv increase to unlock higher weapons). I'm spending the diamonds on base (economy and health first) and the drone (which in the beginning is well matched to the competition and is a strategic advantage).

What I've noticed is that the PVP matchups are nicely balanced and I can win regularly. I've only been given an unreasonable matchup a couple of times.

So, at the moment, I'm a fan of leaving weapons only partly upgraded to help with getting more realistic PVP challenges...
  • Options
    Well, funny you should mention that...

I restarted CKS on a different platform... because I'm a sucker for punishment... and am using that very strategy. I only upgrade the weapon enough to get through most of the missions (I want the gold and Lv increase to unlock higher weapons). I'm spending the diamonds on base (economy and health first) and the drone (which in the beginning is well matched to the competition and is a strategic advantage).

What I've noticed is that the PVP matchups are nicely balanced and I can win regularly. I've only been given an unreasonable matchup a couple of times.

So, at the moment, I'm a fan of leaving weapons only partly upgraded to help with getting more realistic PVP challenges...

The key phrase here is "at the moment".
    As you may have noticed, I'm a fan of micromanagement and economy.
    I sort of follow your strategy also.
    My 12.5* huggin heavy is upgraded 15/20 because this is what I actually need to win maxed out TIER 12's without using medkits.
    I put the rest of the gems in my base and when I'm finish with that too, I'll start saving in the Drone Bank.
    The thing is that I cannot think what would happen if I hadn't had a fully upgraded TESLA, being the gun with the longer life expectancy. I guess you agree with me on that. Having a TIER 12 is what makes the difference here. If I didn't, I might have not been in the need of a fully upgraded 11.5 TESLA but I cannot keep back because of that.
  • Options
    The key phrase here is "at the moment".

The thing is that I cannot think what would happen if I hadn't had a fully upgraded TESLA, being the gun with the longer life expectancy. I guess you agree with me on that. Having a TIER 12 is what makes the difference here. If I didn't, I might have not been in the need of a fully upgraded 11.5 TESLA but I cannot keep back because of that.

Absolutely agree.

What I experienced with the 11-12 transition was similar to what you're seeing now with the 12-13 transition. The partially upgraded 12.5 weapon works fine against the maxed 12 bases, so you're golden. I would be willing to bet that when level 13 comes out (if we're still around :) ) that there will be maxed out 13's within moments of the new level being released that will make the 12.5 weapon useless. I predict that if you leave the weapon upgrade where it's at, you'll be able to avoid a lot of the PVP matchups against the maxed 13's and thus, still be able to win your battles.

That's what I experienced with my 11.5. Then, I added 1 more upgrade level to it and BAM, nothing but short challenges vs max'd 12's that I couldn't win...

But then, I'm sure that there will be another glitch to come along with level 13 that'll make all this guesswork look foolish...
  • Options
    Absolutely agree.

What I experienced with the 11-12 transition was similar to what you're seeing now with the 12-13 transition. The partially upgraded 12.5 weapon works fine against the maxed 12 bases, so you're golden. I would be willing to bet that when level 13 comes out (if we're still around :) ) that there will be maxed out 13's within moments of the new level being released that will make the 12.5 weapon useless. I predict that if you leave the weapon upgrade where it's at, you'll be able to avoid a lot of the PVP matchups against the maxed 13's and thus, still be able to win your battles.

That's what I experienced with my 11.5. Then, I added 1 more upgrade level to it and BAM, nothing but short challenges vs max'd 12's that I couldn't win...

But then, I'm sure that there will be another glitch to come along with level 13 that'll make all this guesswork look foolish...

Thanks bajancat. (Barbados is a dreamy destination for me by the way...)

Bridging the distance between what you said and what this thread is all about...this is exactly why GLU needs to take our suggestion into serious consideration.
    Therefore,

...the weapons awards structure is becoming, if hasn't already become, obsolete and are no longer in line with the current AP scoring trends. I believe that this will result in fewer players competing in PvP which would be in direct conflict of making the battles more evenly matched for these very same players; this is what CKS 3.0 was primarily designed to accomplish, or so it appears.Weapons and parts cost GLU nothing to award, since revenue is derived from the GOLD spent. The same GOLD needs to be spent to reach an AP total ... all we're asking is for an award for our troubles and a realistic chance at winning 35 (usable) PARTS. How about a PLATINUM LEAGUE?In Platinum league, only people with more than 8499AP but out of TOP-30 can participate. We need to think about the prize structure. Maybe a 3rd weapon?
  • Options
    Thanks bajancat. (Barbados is a dreamy destination for me by the way...)

Bridging the distance between what you said and what this thread is all about...this is exactly why GLU needs to take our suggestion into serious consideration.
    Therefore,

...the weapons awards structure is becoming, if hasn't already become, obsolete and are no longer in line with the current AP scoring trends. I believe that this will result in fewer players competing in PvP which would be in direct conflict of making the battles more evenly matched for these very same players; this is what CKS 3.0 was primarily designed to accomplish, or so it appears.Weapons and parts cost GLU nothing to award, since revenue is derived from the GOLD spent. The same GOLD needs to be spent to reach an AP total ... all we're asking is for an award for our troubles and a realistic chance at winning 35 (usable) PARTS. How about a PLATINUM LEAGUE?In Platinum league, only people with more than 8499AP but out of TOP-30 can participate. We need to think about the prize structure. Maybe a 3rd weapon?

Couldn't agree more! I've wondered many times how so many players have scores that high. I can't bring myself to spend real money on the game, but some players do. That said, I can't believe that so many players would spend that much to get those scores.... the only other explanation is that there's a backdoor/loophole that some players are exploiting.

I have a guess that GLU has changed their game's communication structure on the fly to try to lock it down. When the game was first released, you could use the change the time on your device trick to restock your energy. Now that doesn't work, so, the game must have moved some of the values to the servers for better control, rather than on the local device. Changing core architecture mid-stream is likely why a lot of these other issues have cropped up. (network errors, sync errors, reloading issues etc)

That said, it just seems fishy how so many players are able to use so much gold to have a fully maxed base and weapons within moments of the levels being released....

where there's smoke....
  • Options
    OH - Barbados rocks!