Options

9/14/2015- League Gold Milestone Question (yet another futile call to GLU for info).

PythonDjangoPythonDjango Registered Users 234 Posts
In another of my continued series of questions for GLU to ignore, why did you raise the gold award milestone requirement from 100 VPs to 200 VPs? That victory point level is far beyond what's possible to achieve in 24 hours without spending more on energy than the gold you'd receive, so effectively, the gold milestone is no longer viable. In 24 hours, the maximum number of possible non-extra energy VPs is:
24 hours * 3 energy/hour * 1 PvP match/ energy * 2 VPs/PvP match (win) = 144 VPs

Technically, since you can bring in 3 energy from the prior day, then if you win all matches, it would be possible to get 150 VPs in 24 hours without buying energy, but that's still 50 VPs short of the milestone.

The cost of an additional 50 VPs (again, assuming no losses) would be 168 gold:
(8 * 20 gold/3 energy + 8 gold/energy) * 1 energy/2 VPs = 168 gold / 50 VPs

Of course, most players won't be bringing in 3 energy, won't be able to play 100% of the day, and might lose a match or two, so it'll cost them more than 168 gold.

This change is very demotivating, and it makes me wonder what you guys are thinking.

Comments

• Options
    amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    In another of my continued series of questions for GLU to ignore, why did you raise the gold award milestone requirement from 100 VPs to 200 VPs? That victory point level is far beyond what's possible to achieve in 24 hours without spending more on energy than the gold you'd receive, so effectively, the gold milestone is no longer viable. In 24 hours, the maximum number of possible non-extra energy VPs is:
    24 hours * 3 energy/hour * 1 PvP match/ energy * 2 VPs/PvP match (win) = 144 VPs

Technically, since you can bring in 3 energy from the prior day, then if you win all matches, it would be possible to get 150 VPs in 24 hours without buying energy, but that's still 50 VPs short of the milestone.

The cost of an additional 50 VPs (again, assuming no losses) would be 168 gold:
    (8 * 20 gold/3 energy + 8 gold/energy) * 1 energy/2 VPs = 168 gold / 50 VPs

Of course, most players won't be bringing in 3 energy, won't be able to play 100% of the day, and might lose a match or two, so it'll cost them more than 168 gold.

This change is very demotivating, and it makes me wonder what you guys are thinking.

ROTF-LMAO ... since 100 VP for 5 TIER 6 Fuses (SILVER) is no bargain either, we are left with 50 VP as the TOP reasonable milestone with a prize that insults even a welfare recipient. Obviously the weapons awards are also a joke and I have concluded that the entire concept of League Play (Gold or Silver) is a total waste of a players time.

It is therefore my recommendation that the leagues be disbanded entirely and simply replaced with "vanilla" PvP since diamonds would be the only reason to compete PvP anyway.

Give us better diamond and drone fuse awards during the Region Campaign Missions.
    Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    I wish I had saved the link by LokisDottir, but this was the conclusion of the post on improving League events;
    We're by no means done tweaking this. We want people to have fun and be rewarded appropriately for their skill.

And so, this is our reward? Pay 168 gold to make 100 gold? Very sad indeed.
  • Options
    try_again wrote: »
    I wish I had saved the link by LokisDottir, but this was the conclusion of the post on improving League events;

Yeah and everything they've done ever since has been the exact opposite ...
  • Options
    bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    I don't want to take away from the point that changing the Milestone structure for the Silver League is moronic, but I would like to share the perspective that one has from Gold League play. When I regularly played the Silver League, I saw the 50 Gold as free Gold. When I moved to Gold League with 100 Gold at 200 VP I quickly came to see the Milestone Gold as subsidized play, that is to say, you got to play 100 rounds for the price of 85, since the 100 Gold would buy 15 games. I recognize that this is no comfort at all for the player attempting to get by on free energy credits, but for the player on a moderate budget, it allows you to subsidize the cost of base and weapons upgrades by 300 Gold per week.

The real problem is that if you do Gold League you get 100 Gold + 10 Tier 13 Modules (32 XP), while in Silver league you get 100 Gold +10 Tier 6 modules.

For a player on a moderate budget, it now makes sense to go for Gold League Status during the Global to get the 32 XP Fuses. For the player on a limited budget, it still just sucks! Once again Glu is making life more difficult for low budget players of the game.

Over the time that I have posted on this forum, I have attempted to give helpful advice to players who cannot or will not spend money to play the game. My advice to those players now is: Find another game, a game from a game developer other than Glu. Glu has done everything in its power to make play impossible for you.
  • Options
    Bradr, this is close to saying "We've built up the neighborhood, and if you can't pay your taxes anymore, it's time for you to move out."

I won't talk for Python, I see he has the same join month as you. I've followed his few informative posts since I joined. He and DavidT gave much of the original gems for us beginners, and helped me get to the point I am. You have also helped with very wise advice, but at times can only speak from the position you've observed.

To ask a player in the Amazon league who is at rank 9 all-time to give up on this game is insulting to me, a fellow clan member. He has invested a lot more in this game than I, but we are still surviving all the obstacles GLU has thrown our way. We again made #1 clan this week, and are proud of our leader and group.

Python, please forgive me for presuming anything I've said for you, but, I take this personally.
  • Options
    Bradr, this is close to saying "We've built up the neighborhood, and if you can't pay your taxes anymore, it's time for you to move out."

I won't talk for Python, I see he has the same join month as you. I've followed his few informative posts since I joined. He and DavidT gave much of the original gems for us beginners, and helped me get to the point I am. You have also helped with very wise advice, but at times can only speak from the position you've observed.

To ask a player in the Amazon league who is at rank 9 all-time to give up on this game is insulting to me, a fellow clan member. He has invested a lot more in this game than I, but we are still surviving all the obstacles GLU has thrown our way. We again made #1 clan this week, and are proud of our leader and group.

BTW I am ranked 69th on Amazon AT leaderboard and I haven't played there for two months.

Python, please forgive me for presuming anything I've said for you, but, I take this personally.

I certainly didn't mean to insult you and I respect your position. I should add that Amazon is still a very good spot for the limited budget player. Android is just horrifying.

I am not asking anyone to give up the game, I am simply suggesting that Glu has designed a game that demands that you pay them. My position to new players is not to give Glu a dime, but if you want to play, do it on a Kindle.

I am sensitive to your point that Glu is trying to drive out low budget players and that I have contributed to that by recommending that they move on. I do not feel good about that. At the same time, I would not recommend this game to anyone on a budget, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, no matter what their budget.

BTW, I am ranking 69th on the Amazon AT Leaderboard, even though I haven't played for two months.
  • Options
    concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts

Here is the link and it is post #10
    http://ggnbb.glu.com/showthread.php?168972-Handles-Current-league-event-parts-awards-mistake-Or-not

Here is the entire post dated 08-03-2015
    Handles has bounced this to me! This change was put in a little over a month ago, you just may not have noticed if you weren't always in the Silver League. There were a few reasons behind this:

1) We had player feedback indicating that some players were intentionally holding back to get into the Bronze Bracket since the prizing was equal. Since we want to encourage everyone to play to the best of their ability, we changed up prizing for the 1st place for Silver and Bronze. Silver now gives you a chance at the Gold Bracket prize if you get 1st place.
    2) The total number of parts you could get for 1st was reduced from 20 to 16 - this is because the prize itself is of a higher value, and, again, we want to encourage people to try their best. If we rewarded Silver League and Gold League equally there would be no point in trying to be Gold. This places 1st in Silver on even footing with 2-3 in Gold.
    3) We're by no means done tweaking this. We want people to have fun and be rewarded appropriately for their skill. We will continue to monitor the performance of these events to make sure prizing remains fair and motivating.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options
    Like I mentioned, our Clan, was this week's 1st place. We are mainly a non-paying group, and our toughest competition believes like you, to pay aggressively.

We take great pride in overcoming the biggest obstacles with dedication in time and expert performance. There's also a very jovial and active chat and Facebook thread with this group that makes it a lot more fun.

Regardless of any suggestions to the contrary, we will be survivors and thrive.

By the way, I don't have a Kindle, it's a Nexus 7. Also, when you suggested I craft a weapon in my other game (on Samsung S Pro 8.4), I didn't follow your advice, and now that game is much better now that I've increased that base to Tier 9. If I crafted the weapon you told me too, I'd be toast. Your example, I'm convinced, was based on a hacked game, but we'll never know for sure. Like I say, it's where your experiences are, and you know very little of Google Play or Amazon.

Forgive me for being blunt. I still very much admire you and Scorpion for your discoveries and game documentation.

Edit; I take that back about Amazon - you were TOOBAD, I forgot
  • Options
    concerned wrote: »
    Here is the link and it is post #10
    http://ggnbb.glu.com/showthread.php?168972-Handles-Current-league-event-parts-awards-mistake-Or-not

Here is the entire post dated 08-03-2015

Thank you for finding his post as it was in response to the thread that I started many weeks ago. You'll notice how casually he mentions "16 PARTS" and how he neglected to state that the structure they put in place made it impossible to craft a weapon, yet he maintained he was doing this to "improve" game play.

I consider myself a player on a moderate budget but I am also a serious gambler and managing your money properly is the key to being successful at gambling ... so take it from me when I say that many of the items GLU has put into play HAVE NO VALUE AT ALL and in some cases it borders on extortion. Now we all have a choice on how to spend our GOLD; I'll spend GOLD on some things but will not on others.

So my advice is simple ... obviously you cannot succeed at this game without spending something. That being said, spend wisely and not by impulse or because someone states it's a good deal OR the BEST available option.

For example, have you ever taken a close look at the EQUIPMENT prices? Do the math and tell me what you see (that's an example of a lie). The "Wheel of Fortune" is an example of extortion.

You must crunch the numbers for they never EVER lie ... decide what you can afford ... proceed at your own risk. I do not use the word "risk" lightly for every time you give GLU money you're running the risk of losing your investment and NEVER seeing a return.

But most of all ... PLAY FOR FUN.
  • Options
    Try_Again It is great that you are having fun and doing well at the game. One of the downsides of this forum is that it tends to be negative, for very good reason. You remind me that there are people who love the game, play it well and are succeeding on a limited budget. Thanks for the uplift!
  • Options
    So, playing Silver when you need parts is hilarious.

Starting off, it's like bicycle track racing. Everyone goes as slow as possible. Then someone gets ahead, and tries to go even slower, the whole time looking behind him to see if anyone is going to break for it.

But, the whole event is like that. Different people trip into first place, the 2nd place multiple listings get re-jumbled up with stragglers, and it continues that way until people drop out to get some shuteye.

A good tactic is to take a PvP and forfeit it, so if you need to jump, you'll have a lower powered base to breeze through.

My tier 9 is at 47 parts, I will do another slow dance today, then I can run like the wind tomorrow to get some diamonds.
  • Options
    When you really think about it the entire concept of league play has been reduced to a joke. I've long believed that this aspect of the game should be eliminated entirely and replaced with the vanilla PvP that's available whenever there isn't a league event.

Adjust the awards structure in the Global to award fully operational weapons, similar to the VIP Events and eliminate parts as well.

This would rekindle the competitive spirit that we once had in the old days and light that gladiator fire. The very idea that "forfeit" is being used as a "winning" tactic makes me want to puke.

*** BLAAAHH ***
  • Options
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    When you really think about it the entire concept of league play has been reduced to a joke. I've long believed that this aspect of the game should be eliminated entirely and replaced with the vanilla PvP that's available whenever there isn't a league event.

Adjust the awards structure in the Global to award fully operational weapons, similar to the VIP Events and eliminate parts as well.

This would rekindle the competitive spirit that we once had in the old days and light that gladiator fire. The very idea that "forfeit" is being used as a "winning" tactic makes me want to puke.

*** BLAAAHH ***
    I could not agree more. GLU told us that the League play was change to allow players to play as hard as possible. But instead, players have had to resort to slow playing and "forfeit" as a strategy. The GLU brain trust is so out of touch with reality that it it is simply unbelievable.
  • Options
    I just received a Customer Care response to my question about spending 188 gold to win 100 gold. What I got back was a worthless canned response. I am not blaming the Customer Care agent for any of this stupidity. But here is the response.

Thank you for your feedback! Your feedback is vital to help us improve our games. This information will be passed on to our developer team foe investigation.

There are constant changes and adjustments being done to balance our games. We continue to monitor how our games are working for everyone and we will strive to make thes changes in the least disruptive fashion.

Again, thank you for your feed back and commitment to making the game enjoyable for all.

Hello Glu Developers, I just look in the mirror and guess what I don't have stupid written across my forehead. How in the world can you call this change balancing the game.
  • Options
    Admittedly TOOBAD has taken the edge off needing weapons parts; I can secure vastly superior weapons during VIP Events but all I use these weapons for is to collect diamonds. Competition no longer exists and this strategy is becoming boring, I'm sorry to say.

A combination of competition and a better, more reliable method of obtaining weapons is what's really needed. Elevate the VIP Event to something worthy of the name Very Important Player and if one chooses to buy into the event reward the player with prizes that merit VIP status; greater variety of drone parts, battle equipment (grenades and medkits), greater diamond awards, better weapons (of course) and get rid of those outdated useless insulting weapons parts.
  • Options
    PythonDjangoPythonDjango Registered Users 234 Posts
    I see that the 100 gold league event milestone has returned to 100 vps -- Since I griped about it to start this thread, I wanted to acknowledge the change and to thank GLU for being responsive to customers on this issue.
  • Options
    Yup ... who says GLU doesn't read the forums?
  • Options
    Yup ... who says GLU doesn't read the forums?

I am reservedly surprised. And very appreciative to get any free gold!

It seems like 40 steps backwards, and one step forward, but I keep counting the same few problems multiple times.
  • Options
    I am reservedly surprised. And very appreciative to get any free gold!

It seems like 40 steps backwards, and one step forward, but I keep counting the same few problems multiple times.

Refresh my memory ...on MIRN which platform are you playing? IOS, Amazon, Google (Tee-Hee-Hee) ...

I believe it's Amazon, no?
  • Options
    Refresh my memory ...on MIRN which platform are you playing? IOS, Amazon, Google (Tee-Hee-Hee) ...

I believe it's Amazon, no?

You are correct. I enjoy competition, but having to pay to compete, unless for the clan's benefit is not my cup of tea.

Another update for this thread, Handles IS active. Yes maybe not posting here, but could very well be reading and hence the solution to the request.

He made a post on MIRN, and has setup up some guides for another game, and also other game posts. Again, I have made an incorrect prediction. Better to be a pessimist and be pleasantly surprised, than an optimist with continual let downs - at least with this game!