Definitive Guide: CKS Minimum Hardware Requirements Explained

amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
For some unknown reason, GLU has never published a guideline for recommended "Minimum Hardware Requirements" required for successfully playing Contract Killer: Sniper or any other GLU game that I am aware of. The guidelines that appear in this post were derived from actual experience and game play and not some vendor's overly optimistic guesstimate.

CKS is without a doubt a resource hungry, high-end performance designed 3D accelerated video graphics application (video game), as many of the veteran players are aware. There are many specifications associated with any mobile device, but several are critical for an application such as CKS to run properly.

CPU (Central Processing Unit): This is the most important of any measurement for any application, but for CKS the absolute minimum is 2.2 GHz (2,200 MHz) with as many "cores" that can be afforded. Today's standard processors have at least 4 cores (QUAD-CORE). CKS can use up to 2 of these cores simultaneously.

Memory (RAM) vs. Storage Capacity: these two components should not be confused. Memory and storage capacity are two distinct and separate components in your mobile device. For example, storage capacity usually comes in multiples of 16 GB ... 16GB, 32GB, 64GB. This type of memory is used for storage operations only and not program execution. Memory however is what the system uses for executing program code, including the operating system itself. CKS requires at least 1 GB for it's own use alone (the highest I have ever seen) so if that's all you have, you're going to have problems and experience all kinds of application crashes. Today's industry standard is 2 GB and the more the better.

GPU (Graphics Processing Unit): or video graphics card is without a doubt the most critical component when it comes to 3D accelerated applications such as video games. The 3D graphics used in CKS are as detailed and concentrated as they come, consequently a high-end GPU running at a minimum of 450 MHz is required. Most graphics related problems such as stuttering video, dropped video frames, video freezing, frame skipping, etc. are directly attributed to a video card that doesn't meet this requirement.

Pixel Density is important for appearance and can affect performance as well. CKS runs best at 1080P, 1920 x 1080 resolution (smartphones) and 1920 x 1200 resolution (tablets).

TO RECAP:
CPU: QUADCORE running @ 2.2 GHz
GPU: 3D Accelerator running @ 450 MHz
RAM: 2 GB (minimum)

There are other specifications that can affect performance such as network connectivity; (i.e. 802.11G, 802.11N, 802.11AC). Since CKS is an online game, wireless data transfer speeds are important. Just as important is the router your device is connected to as well as the plan you've subscribed to via your ISP. Your speed will vary, but is only as fast as the slowest component. For example owning a 802.11N capable device connected to a Wireless G router or access point with an Internet Plan's speed of 50/5Mbps would indicate you need a better router to maximize your throughput.

Data transfer speed and bandwidth are used by most as identical terminology to describe the same thing. This is NOT the case. Using the water pipe analogy, bandwidth is the diameter of your pipe, transfer is how fast the water flows through that pipe. If the pipe is too narrow, all the horsepower in the world won't increase throughput.

The above is a general guideline and hopefully HANDLES can make this a "sticky post" for future reference.

When you get the chance, I would ask that players post their device specifications and network configurations. I would also suggest an honest assessment of their gaming experiences; problems, persistent issues and detailed explanations or descriptions of what they are experiencing.

This will assist future and current players alike in comparing performance parameters, selecting a new gaming device or determining if their problems can be traced to a device that's simply inadequate for the task at hand.

As a final observation about devices ... for reasons I don't particularly agree with, most mobile device vendors will use the best components to put in their smartphones and use lesser quality components for tablets, this includes video processing capabilities. I'm sure their decisions are driven by profits but as a technician, I believe this particular trend should be reversed or in the very least, be at parity.

Thanks ...

Good Luck and Good Hunting !!!
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION

Comments

• concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts
    I am currently using a iPad Mini 3. For the most part, it is performing adequately, as long as I routinely restart the game. With each new base and weapon release, it is taking a more and more of a performance hit, while fighting SR battles. Long Range battles presents no problems.

The iPad now struggles a little bit when the opponent's drone comes out. When I get rid of the drone, then there is no problem.

With only 1 juggernaut out, there is a slight video hitch, but nothing like the problems back when I was using an iPad 2.

I can tell when I need to restart the iPad, because the target sight will start to jump around instead of moving smoothly.

The specs are as follows:
    CPU - Dual Core 1.3GHz Cyclone 64 bit
    GPU - Power VR G6430 (quad core), it is at least 400MHz
    RAM - 1 GB DDR3
  • Tofast4u2cTofast4u2c Registered Users 32 Posts
    Well done and thanks for the very informative post.
    Jack
    Born to Cruise, Forced to Work!
  • amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    I use two Google Nexus devices, a Nexus 7 (2013) (tablet) and a Nexus 5 (smartphone); of the two the Nexus 5 is the "better" device even though they were introduced only months apart. I prefer the tablet for gameplay but alternate between the two during "intense" combat.

The Nexus 7 did exhibit minor frame delay in short battles when the new drones started firing. I remedied this by overclocking the GPU (I knew this was safe to OC because the Nexus 5 has the same GPU running at 450 MHz).

The real distinction between the two is that the Nexus 5 has a 2.2 GHz QuadCore processor while the Nexus 7 clocks in at 1.5 GHz; this makes all the difference in the world as the Nexus 5 has never experienced any of the "popular" issues associated with device capabilities; video frame rate, dropped video frames and sudden game crashes or exits.

The Nexus 7 is actually manufactured by ASUS and the Nexus 5 is manufactured by LG. Other than processor speed, screen size and the fact that the Nexus 5 is a smartphone, the devices are virtually identical.

DISPLAY: Size 7.0 inches, Resolution 1200 x 1920 pixels
    PROCESSOR: Chipset Qualcomm Snapdragon S4Pro, CPU Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
    GPU: Adreno 320 (OC: 450 MHz)
    MEMORY: Internal 32 GB, 2 GB RAM
    NETWORK: 802.11a,b,g,n

ISP: Time Warner Cable (Road Runner), 50/5 Mbps
    ROUTER: Cisco EA6500-1900AC Multimedia. Typical connection is via 802.11N @ 300 Mbps
    WEAKEST LINK: ISP
  • bysbys Registered Users 165 Posts
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    Most graphics related problems such as stuttering video, dropped video frames, video freezing, frame skipping, etc. are directly attributed to a video card that doesn't meet this requirement.

Nice sum up but I'd add bad programming and limited or no testing before releasing as part of the problems we are facing.
    ===============
    One BITE at a time!
    bys wrote: »
    Nice sum up but I'd add bad programming and limited or no testing before releasing as part of the problems we are facing.

AGREED ... This is quite true, but we have no control over poor program code NOR can we state with any degree of certainty what code produces which issues. So we either adapt and continue to play OR stop playing until GLU fixes these problems (which may be never).

Even if GLU were to "optimize" their code, the video problems would persist; these are related more to the battle field being "saturated" with graphics textures, that also increase with each successive region.

Your particular hardware profile would be of great help ... thx.

"When you get the chance, I would ask that players post their device specifications and network configurations. I would also suggest an honest assessment of their gaming experiences; problems, persistent issues and detailed explanations or descriptions of what they are experiencing."
  • christopher831christopher831 Registered Users 11 Posts
    Using an iPad 2, April 2010 release. In another post somewhere, Handles did mention the iPad2 was no longer supported.

CPU: a5 chip, 1Ghz dual core
    RAM: 512 MB
    GPU: uncertain, PowerVR SGX543MP2

At tier 10 I had to stop playing CKS. If I started the program from scratch it was about 1.5 minutes to load. Another minute to load a pvp fight. The fights were always with some delays and hesitations, especially when "mini-Me" was firing, a juggernaut was firing, or there were multiple rocket explosions. Once I would win, it was another minute to get back to the main screen, if it did not crash while trying to load. I would need to kill and restart to be able to play another fight. With a 4 minute fight, it was pointless to continue.

I Switched to CKS clone MIRN. It has been fines up to tier 8 base. It is now on rare occasions causing a hesitation, I have to kill and restart after each match or it will crash. Takes about 1.5 minutes to load, another minute to get back to the main screen after a fight. It does crash after I win on some occasions, but not always.

I'll get back to you on results from my new iPad Pro in a while. I checked online and was not able to find details on the CPU, GPU, or the onboard RAM for the device.

Christopher
    AGREED ... This is quite true, but we have no control over poor program code NOR can we state with any degree of certainty what code produces which issues. So we either adapt and continue to play OR stop playing until GLU fixes these problems (which may be never).

Even if GLU were to "optimize" their code, the video problems would persist; these are related more to the battle field being "saturated" with graphics textures, that also increase with each successive region.

Your particular hardware profile would be of great help ... thx.

"When you get the chance, I would ask that players post their device specifications and network configurations. I would also suggest an honest assessment of their gaming experiences; problems, persistent issues and detailed explanations or descriptions of what they are experiencing."

These freezing, lagging and the connection error issues became very bad when they released the version with the facebook integration. Both freezing and lagging was there before too but not this bad.

When this was released I was on the latest Apple hardware, 6+ with 128 gb and latest iOS. I still use that.

If GLU can't get the game to work smoothly even on the latest hardware they shouldn't be in business.
    Now their customer service are promising that the performance and connectivity issues are going to be resolved in the 4.0.0 update that they have been promising to be released beginning of december this year.

I have my doubts. GLU hasn't exactly been top notch when it comes to releases and fixes...
    ===============
    One BITE at a time!
    These freezing, lagging and the connection error issues became very bad when they released the version with the facebook integration. Both freezing and lagging was there before too but not this bad.

When this was released I was on the latest Apple hardware, 6+ with 128 gb and latest iOS. I still use that.

If GLU can't get the game to work smoothly even on the latest hardware they shouldn't be in business.
    Now their customer service are promising that the performance and connectivity issues are going to be resolved in the 4.0.0 update that they have been promising to be released beginning of december this year.

I have my doubts. GLU hasn't exactly been top notch when it comes to releases and fixes...

I won't dispute this with you, but the fact remains that most players do not experience these problems so what do you think the cause might be? I do not think GLU is singling out specific players, but I do think that they all have something in common.

The ONLY way to find out is to share information (detailed and technical). The latest IOS is a good place to start since most issues of this nature seem to plague Apple users and no one else.

As I said, unless everyone posts their specifics, it will be impossible to determine the cause. Complaining about it won't get you anywhere, I'm sure you'll agree.
    I won't dispute this with you, but the fact remains that most players do not experience these problems so what do you think the cause might be? I do not think GLU is singling out specific players, but I do think that they all have something in common.

The ONLY way to find out is to share information (detailed and technical). The latest IOS is a good place to start since most issues of this nature seem to plague Apple users and no one else.

As I said, unless everyone posts their specifics, it will be impossible to determine the cause. Complaining about it won't get you anywhere, I'm sure you'll agree.

I agree and therefore GLUs customer service have all the details of my problems. Not sure what your relation to GLU is but as far as I know GLUs customer service should be the ones handling and summing up all the specific problems and not a forum user.
    ===============
    One BITE at a time!
    I agree and therefore GLUs customer service have all the details of my problems. Not sure what your relation to GLU is but as far as I know GLUs customer service should be the ones handling and summing up all the specific problems and not a forum user.

Dude you don't get it ... GLU is going to do NOTHING to fix your problems, zip ... you either fix the problem yourself by identifying the cause OR stop playing. How can anyone remedy your specific problems without having your device in their hands? You're asking the impossible.

What's the big secret? All we're asking you to do is describe in detail what your experiences are along with a hardware profile.

Discussion over.
    Dude you don't get it ... GLU is going to do NOTHING to fix your problems, zip ... you either fix the problem yourself by identifying the cause OR stop playing. How can anyone remedy your specific problems without having your device in their hands? You're asking the impossible.

What's the big secret? All we're asking you to do is describe in detail what your experiences are along with a hardware profile.

Discussion over.

You can't fix it either as the connectivity and performance issues, according to GLUs customer service, has to be fixed on their side. And they say a fix should be out beginning of december.
    ===============
    One BITE at a time!
    You can't fix it either as the connectivity and performance issues, according to GLUs customer service, has to be fixed on their side. And they say a fix should be out beginning of december.

So to which beginning of December were they referring, 12/03, 12/10, 12/17 ... there have been no complaints recently about connectivity, so they must have fixed that already. With regards to performance issues like choppy video, I wouldn't hold my breath; they've been fixing that one since June.

It's your choice, share your info with others who actually want to help OR put your faith in GLU. I know your don't already own the title to the Brooklyn Bridge right?

No problem, like I said ... it's your choice.
    So to which beginning of December were they referring, 12/03, 12/10, 12/17 ... there have been no complaints recently about connectivity, so they must have fixed that already. With regards to performance issues like choppy video, I wouldn't hold my breath; they've been fixing that one since June.

It's your choice, share your info with others who actually want to help OR put your faith in GLU. I know your don't already own the title to the Brooklyn Bridge right?

No problem, like I said ... it's your choice.

No, Brooklyn Bridge is yours, and the Handles-hangaround title.
    ===============
    One BITE at a time!

I really hate being the bearer of bad news, and this usually falls on deaf ears when talking to Apple users, but Apple's latest hardware is 2-3 years behind the industry standard. Everything is sub-standard except the price which is usually double.

I've never understood this phenomenon, but chalked it up to people having extremely deep pockets and limited knowledge of technology. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a pretty nice phone (when it works properly) and watching a movie is adequate, but the RAW power needed for today's gaming is absent; it just doesn't have the horsepower.

Sort of like driving a Porche with the engine from a Beetle ... it looks great and for the most part you can't tell the difference, until you step on the accelerator.
  • Lonewolf2015Lonewolf2015 Registered Users 20 Posts
    I really hate being the bearer of bad news, and this usually falls on deaf ears when talking to Apple users, but Apple's latest hardware is 2-3 years behind the industry standard. Everything is sub-standard except the price which is usually double.

I've never understood this phenomenon, but chalked it up to people having extremely deep pockets and limited knowledge of technology. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a pretty nice phone (when it works properly) and watching a movie is adequate, but the RAW power needed for today's gaming is absent; it just doesn't have the horsepower.

Sort of like driving a Porche with the engine from a Beetle ... it looks great and for the most part you can't tell the difference, until you step on the accelerator.

I'm using an old Ipad 2 (and this game doesn't run very well, expected) thinking about upgrading...

What tablet would you recommend?
    I'm using an old Ipad 2 (and this game doesn't run very well, expected) thinking about upgrading...

What tablet would you recommend?

If you're willing to change over from the iPad, and I know that will be painful, I would opt for a device to be used exclusively for gaming. Your old iPad is adequate for anything else I would think, but if you're like me I rarely use my primary device for anything else but CKS.

The Google Nexus 9 (tablet) OR the equivalent from LG or HTC would be my recommendation. The Nexus 9 (manufactured by HTC) is, in my opinion, the best tablet on the market today bar none. It's $200 cheaper than the iPad Air 2 and has some features you may find useful like a fully powered USB 2 port for connecting external storage, so massive internal storage like the 128 GB in Apple devices is not required; just plug in the infinitely cheaper flash drive. The processor is from NVidia known for 3D gaming graphics for decades, so that's covered.

The cost is a moderate (MSRP):
    16GB – $399
    32GB – $479
    32GB LTE – $599

You can grab one from Amazon for much less; more like $200-$300 depending on the model.

This will be my Christmas present to myself ** SMILES **
  • bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts

CKS runs well on the iPad Mini 4 or the new Pro, not so well on older Apple devices. While I don't know what the specs are on the A9X chip which powers the Pro, I will tell you the video on the new Pro is the most beautiful I have seen on any device.
    If you're willing to change over from the iPad, and I know that will be painful, I would opt for a device to be used exclusively for gaming. Your old iPad is adequate for anything else I would think, but if you're like me I rarely use my primary device for anything else but CKS.

Only use the Ipad for weather, Facebook, and this addictive game :)
  • concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts
    Only use the Ipad for weather, Facebook, and this addictive game :)

Just be aware that when you leave the Apple IOS iPad, as far as I know, you will not be able to bring the existing game to the new Nexus tablet.

That is probably the painful part that Scorpion was referring to.
    As with all new releases, CKS 4.0 a.k.a. CLAN WARS, there will be an increased demand on available system resources. When I receive the update, I'll be able to quantify this increase, however small OR large.
    concerned wrote: »
    Just be aware that when you leave the Apple IOS iPad, as far as I know, you will not be able to bring the existing game to the new Nexus tablet.

That is probably the painful part that Scorpion was referring to.

If I stay with Apple IOS can I keep my current game?
  • try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts

Most Apple users have had good luck backing up their old device, and restoring the data to the new one. Emphasis on "most".

If Glu wanted some real appreciation from it's users, it would make a universal process to backup. Why pay for anything in this game if it's very possible to loose all the virtual objects and real time you invest, and have it dissapear one day?

Glu doesn't care to secure your playing experience, just your money.

As TRY_AGAIN mentioned, it is possible as long as you have a reliable backup. You need to think this through very carefully and really understand the specs on these devices before making a purchase. You mentioned previously that you only used the iPad for Weather and Facebook; that's a pretty expensive device for something of that nature.

On the other hand, if you migrate to an Android device, you WILL lose your game progress ... how much depends on how far you've actually progressed. Anything less than TIER 8 can be easily made up relatively quickly; if you're upwards of TIER 12 it starts to get ugly.
  • christopher831christopher831 Registered Users 11 Posts
    I just upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad pro. Amazing how well the game works now. The larger screen makes head shots easier as well.

As for the backup / restore, yes this worked without issue. Backup your current to the computer...I did not use the cloud. When you start the new iPad, go through the first 2 or 3 steps until you get to the wifi connection page. At that point, connect the new iPad to the computer. You will get an option to restore from a backup. Select the most recent one and wait....

The apple support site has details, but you can also just search the net for 'how do I transfer my data to a new iPad'. Anything similar will give you the link to the apple support page.
    I just upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad pro. Amazing how well the game works now. The larger screen makes head shots easier as well.

As for the backup / restore, yes this worked without issue. Backup your current to the computer...I did not use the cloud. When you start the new iPad, go through the first 2 or 3 steps until you get to the wifi connection page. At that point, connect the new iPad to the computer. You will get an option to restore from a backup. Select the most recent one and wait....

The apple support site has details, but you can also just search the net for 'how do I transfer my data to a new iPad'. Anything similar will give you the link to the apple support page.

I am delighted that someone, other than my colleague and comrade BRAD, has actually posted a response that confirms that a better device solved many of the CKS game play issues. Admittedly the iPad 2 was way underpowered, but the consensus seems to be that the iPad Pro (most likely the iPad Mini 4 as well) are the BEST iPads that money can buy, at least with respect to CKS..

TAKEAWAYS: any other iPad will most likely be sub-standard and GLU cannot help you in this regard. If you're still experiencing problems with CKS using these devices, the problem is probably yours as well, due to some software configuration problem on your particular device.

KUDOS
    As with all new releases, CKS 4.0 a.k.a. CLAN WARS, there will be an increased demand on available system resources. When I receive the update, I'll be able to quantify this increase, however small OR large.

It has been noticed/noted than there is a noticeable increase in battery drain as a result of upgrading to CKS 4.0. It has also been confirmed by players that IOS v9.2 and Android v6.x appear to offset this increased demand for "juice".