Trial of Style Review

Prev13

Comments

• punkysdilemmapunkysdilemma Registered Users 160 Posts
    Some thoughts on the new gameplay elements:
    • Anyone know what it means when the Trial of Style venue has a red notifications badge on it? Mine says 11...I have no idea what this means.
    • I completed five levels and have ranks 22, 13, 9, 19, 24 on them. It made me wonder if I would get a reward on each of the five levels. It looks like not, since I have an overall rank in the 20s associated with a prize level, but I don't quite understand how to think about level ranks. (I guess we're supposed to keep playing the levels we can get to, to improve ranks on those?)
    • I am currently stuck on a Lava Luau level. I just opened Lava Luau so it's not upgraded very much at all, so I guess I'm screwed...
    • I see that the final level on Trial of Style is a venue I haven't opened. Are the levels generated randomly from ALL venues?
    • Trial of Style and the Series Finales absolutely *eat* VIP tickets. For awhile I had about 100 stored up, but my Daily Goals kept giving me VIP Valhalla so now I'm constantly out...
    • I do like that this adds a gameplay element similar to Duels on Ramsay Dash, and gives some motivation to upgrade some venues I'd abandoned. I just wish my goal on Lava Luau reflected my actual upgrade progress on that venue because now this feels like a disincentive to open any new restaurants -- they'll just turn into roadblocks on Trial of Style.
    What does everyone else think?
  • level003level003 Registered Users 73 Posts
    The red notification number represents how many new levels you have in there to attempt.

I agree - eats WAY too many VIP tickets.

I got a small prize for each level I passed, and a bigger one at each hub. I don't understand what that prize level thing means. Maybe that's what you get if you finish everything.

Which brings me to my biggest complaint - the final level is IMPOSSIBLE. I passed every level pretty easily until I got to the last one. I even tried using the VIP for that venue, and still barely made it halfway to my goal. It's a little frustrating after I worked so hard getting here the past week. The only way to pass it is to spend a lot if $, which I am unwilling to do.
  • adashplayeradashplayer Registered Users 20 Posts
    In my opinion,  the overall prizes are in a weird order. Rank 4-10 only earn 1 fast flo, while rank 21-30 earn 3 gold. I'd like the gold much better than fast flo!
  • hnacksonhnackson Registered Users 38 Posts
    The very last venue I had to play was a venue I did no not have yet. I am not wasting 35 gold to unlock it. I wish it wouldn't do that. Both the trial of style and series finale eat up way too many VIP tickets. I'm trying to beat all levels in VIP valhalla and I can't do both. Also, while i'm venting why is it so many gold to unlock an additional prep slot. It's only 25 gold in Ramsay Dash.
  • Salmon rollSalmon roll Registered Users 106 Posts
    I got over 700 vip tickets. Can't use any because my ipad can't run the update. Except on VIP valhalla
  • elizard123elizard123 Registered Users 52 Posts
    edited November 2017
    First thing: I’m soooo happy! I made it to 1st place!! AND it’s my birthday :)! Yay! But anyway, it really must depend what situation you are with your venues in order to succeed with this thing. It is a bit annoying that they make final venue the one that you don’t have. And ugh, you don’t even get the final prize right away... I hope it doesn’t get lost. I have to admit, I wasn’t sure I would pull through in the end with some tough challengers at the top. Wish I could see how they play :)

edit: I got the apron of hearts dress! pretty!
  • zansclarkzansclark Registered Users 27 Posts
    What was the point of ranking each game if there was no prize? Real bummer. I played for 7 days just to win fast flo who can save me 3 hours. 
  • HeidiFishHeidiFish Registered Users 78 Posts
    hnackson said:

The very last venue I had to play was a venue I did no not have yet. I am not wasting 35 gold to unlock it. I wish it wouldn't do that. Both the trial of style and series finale eat up way too many VIP tickets. I'm trying to beat all levels in VIP valhalla and I can't do both. Also, while i'm venting why is it so many gold to unlock an additional prep slot. It's only 25 gold in Ramsay Dash.

I, too, am very sad about how many VIP tickets get used by the various games within this new update and I'm also trying to get 5 stars on all of VIP Valhalla. So I have to choose to either focus on that or play "Trial of Style".

Also, too few gold are offered as prizes on the wheel spin. I'd rather just have one gold for my effort in completing the daily goals than getting a wheel spin and then a small percentage towards some "item." Being able to make any progress still feels so slow, and I won't open new venues until I get 5 stars on all levels of the ones I have.

So rather than play much, I fill my 3 prep slots with fast flo/auto chef or swift serve and just wait out the almost 3 days so I can hopefully get through the levels.

And fast flo as a prize is not useful. She does not give many coins, so she's less attractive than a 4 hour super like Maggie, Danny or Karlo.

I just found out that one of my other devices is able to run the new update. Once I connect both accounts to facebook, I can play the new trial of style, and I hope it won't eat up all of my tickets as you guys said. But then again, I have over 700 of them so it will take a while for it to deplete my supply.
  • gypsychkgypsychk Registered Users 100 Posts
    I enjoyed it, but it does look like it's a game for people with lots of progress under their belts. (And it's still expensive.) It also glitched out on me severely, in the last few hours, so I lost (TWICE) one of the takes-two+-days-to-load VIPs and then (TWICE) 5 gold to continue for 30 seconds. Payoff isn't worth the cost to play unless you're in the top 3, and then it's still expensive.
    I agree with everyone here. The reward payoff for the challenges and spins are incredibly weak for what you have to spend. It’s so sad, but I almost expect it now with any update. It’s like gathering pennies to afford a candy bar. 
  • punkysdilemmapunkysdilemma Registered Users 160 Posts
    Lulz: After all that I got a single Fast Flo. That's not *quite* as bad as 20 supplies for a Service Sash that will take about 2 years to complete but...
  • level003level003 Registered Users 73 Posts
    I wasn't even able to pass the last venue (it was impossible unless you had tons of gold to spend on extras), yet somehow I came in 13th place. That tells you how difficult it is to finish! Ironically I'm happier with my prize of 5 VIP tickets than I would have been if I'd placed in the top 10 and received a lame Fast Flo. That being said 5 VIP tickets after spending a ton to get there seems weak. 
  • hnacksonhnackson Registered Users 38 Posts
    The rewards in Rasmay Dash are far superior to this.
  • JArtVJArtV Registered Users 13 Posts
    Is there anything about how often the Trial of Style will go? When I go in it says the Trial of Style has ended, but I'm thinking they'll have to do another. I don't remember seeing anything about it happening every week or every month or anything like that.

And I agree about the crappy prizes. A lot goes into it; I'd rather get more than just a fast flow for making the top 10.
  • YeslekYeslek Registered Users 26 Posts
    @elizard123
    So it was you who beat me in the end! LOL! Congratulations! I was in first for a couple of days and woke up to find you beat me in the end! I really played the hell out of those venues. I don't think I could've done better in the ones I was behind in. And I thought the same! I wish I could've seen how some of these people were ahead in ONE venue by 1500 points! I was using Fast Flo/Auto Chef combo and time extensions and couldn't come close!

First thing: I’m soooo happy! I made it to 1st place!! AND it’s my birthday :)! Yay! But anyway, it really must depend what situation you are with your venues in order to succeed with this thing. It is a bit annoying that they make final venue the one that you don’t have. And ugh, you don’t even get the final prize right away... I hope it doesn’t get lost. I have to admit, I wasn’t sure I would pull through in the end with some tough challengers at the top. Wish I could see how they play :)

edit: I got the apron of hearts dress! pretty!

@Yeslek , that's a fun idea for this game ... watching a replay of the run that's in #1.
    ugh... sorry about the linked text. I’m not sure how to fix it. 
  • rchrisprchrisp Registered Users 8 Posts
    My final venue was Hipster Cafe which is the one I've made least progress with. I gave up after two attempts.
    @elizard123
    I'm so happy you wrote back as well! I played the sh*t out of those venues I which I was behind and went to bed in first place. I really thought it would be the person in third in first, but it was you!!!

I thought the same about the third place person - that she stopped playing, but she was in the leaderboard on some of the venues - in third or so. But then she was 1,500 ahead (as I mentioned before) in others. It was unreachable. I still would love to see how she did it.

Okay - call me a loser :smiley: , but I saw Hipster was the last, so I began practicing with it. I did have A LOT of the upgrades for it. It was one of my personal favorites. In my geek defense, my husband was away that week, so I spend the better part of the week working on venues and/or practicing the Hip Stir. It was fun to have competition. Usually, we're just competing with ourselves. I played HipStir a lot before I got that high of a score.

He came home and one of the first things I said was...I got beat....but not by that other person! LOL!

Here is one theory I do have. I feel it really depends on what they request. It's never the same. I've played a game at whatever venue and would get 3,200 one time and then 4,500 the next. Same power ups (or whatever it's called), same everything. I just think it's also the luck of the draw along with your skill, etc. If you get easy meals ( or those meals you have upgraded). In medevil, if you're getting a ton of flavored eggs and/or chicken, forget it. Takes too much time. Does that make sense?

And CONGRATS! Can't wait for the next one now that we "know" each other!!!! LOL!
  • FusionGalaxyFusionGalaxy Registered Users 135 Posts
    I think everyone is randomly grouped to play against each other every time.
    I was in third for a while ... wound up in 5th. Just COULD NOT get past the final Hip Stir stage, no matter what I did. (I'm kikimunch in the game.)
    I just completed the Hip Stir venue a few days ago and It was one of the hardest venues I ever played. So many damn combos with coffee.
  • MinkieMinkie Registered Users 9 Posts
    Hi all, I've just found this forum! So glad I've found other users who like to play as much as I do. This was the third Trial I've completed and I decided to search and find other players. Not sure if I'll meet the others who played in the other ones like I have. 

Like others my last venue in this Trial was Hip Stir Cafe and I couldn't pass it either, and had spent the few days moving though the levels to play it, but I quite enjoyed playing trying to get there. It was the first time I made it all the way to the end as previously there was some venue that I hadn't purchased that stopped me in my tracks. I, too, came first in my group but by a lot of points and some players who I could see had gotten high scores in some venues didn't register on my scoreboard! Not sure what happened there.

So hello everyone!
    edited December 2017
    I think everyone is randomly grouped to play against each other every time.

@FusionGalaxy
    I think you’re right on this. I read somewhere that everyone wins a prize. so this makes absolute sense that everyone is randomized into groups of 50. 

@Yeslek
    So if everyone is grouped in random 50’s there’s a chance I may not play you again for a while (if ever)! It was definitely fun playing against you :) Hope we get another chance to “meet”.

@Minkie
    Welcome! And yes, I agree it’s pretty cool meeting other dedicated fans of the game. I do have one question for you though, what did you mean by this was your “third Trial” you’ve completed? Wasn’t this the first Trial on on cooking dash ever?
    @Minkie I was wondering the same thing. All I got was one Trial of Style. The gold building, right? And a bunch of competions. And the winner is who gets the most points, so I'm not sure what @elizard123 is talking about.

I'm so glad we're meeting up in here. Always fun to discuss with fellow CD geeks. :wink:

Have you guys started the Deli yet? I like it. It's tough though. I like that because it's what I do when my husband watches endless college and pro football!! :smile:
    On the customer care FAQ:

What is the Trial of Style Leaderboard?

As you earn Style Points in the Trial of Style, your total Style Points earned will be put into the Leaderboard. Compete with your friends and other Cooking Dash players to see who can achieve the highest score! Win a prize no matter your rank! Tap on the prize button below the Style Leaderboard to see what you can win!

It’s not clear to me why they would say “win a prize no matter your rank”. Surely there are more than fifty players on this game... so what happens if you are 51st place? Makes me consider the theory that there are multiple leaderboards. ... or I’m just reading into that statement too much.  :#  Is there anyone that played that didn’t rank on the leaderboard/did NOT win a prize? Just wondering, because that would end that theory. 

• MinkieMinkie Registered Users 9 Posts
    @elizard123 Trial of Style showed up on my app back in early October. Since then I've played it 4 times (I just checked my screenshots as I have always been so excited to be at the top!). I was confused when it came up in the last update as a new thing. I've had the saucers, the series finale and the closet since October. 

The players who were 2nd in some venues should definitely have been in my leaderboard up the top (like top 5) but they weren't there. Possibly they were on another leaderboard. I'm intrigued to see how I would have gone against others who play frequently. The second and third were so far behind me it wasn't really a competition, but sounds like others had more of a competition. 

@Yeslek I haven't started the Deli yet. I'm the type of person who needs to get all the gold stars before I move onto another venue! 
    I just started the deli a few days ago, saving up gold to buy the upgrades is very slow for me so I am only in the second season. I feel the venue will get much more difficult once all 4 bagel toppings are introduced.