Trial of Style Review

Comments

• JArtVJArtV Registered Users 13 Posts
    Minkie said:

Hi all, I've just found this forum! So glad I've found other users who like to play as much as I do. This was the third Trial I've completed and I decided to search and find other players. Not sure if I'll meet the others who played in the other ones like I have. 

Like others my last venue in this Trial was Hip Stir Cafe and I couldn't pass it either, and had spent the few days moving though the levels to play it, but I quite enjoyed playing trying to get there. It was the first time I made it all the way to the end as previously there was some venue that I hadn't purchased that stopped me in my tracks. I, too, came first in my group but by a lot of points and some players who I could see had gotten high scores in some venues didn't register on my scoreboard! Not sure what happened there.

So hello everyone!

How were you able to do 3 Trials? I've only been able to do one so far. I'm sure we're put into random groups (the person above who mentioned being in 5th was not in my trial at all), so are we not all put into random groups at the same time?
  • MinkieMinkie Registered Users 9 Posts
    @JArtV I might have been part of a trial before it was put out for everyone (they occurred in October and the beginning of November) but this was the fourth time I've played Trial of Style and every time it's never been the same group of people that show up on the Leaderboard. 

I suppose that's why I started looking for forums because it seemed that this was a new competition in the update even though I had played before. I was confused. 
  • elizard123elizard123 Registered Users 52 Posts
    I also got to participate in a limited release of their beta version around that time frame, but the Trial of Style was not yet available. I had access to that for only ~24-36 hours. They gave me 20 gold at the end of it which was nice. I was under the impression that that release was much wider to the public. That’s so cool @Minkie that you were able to play Trial of Style so many times!

I’m curious now how many leaderboards there could possibly be in this game. Btw, I don’t think I mentioned my player name in the game: I’m ChefLiz, and I ranked 1st in mine. 
  • MinkieMinkie Registered Users 9 Posts
    There's a new Trial about to start in 1d 15h, is that the same for everyone? So far I can see that my pedestal venues (don't know what to call them?) are Table Steaks, Out n Inning and the new Deli, which I don't have yet. Hmm should I get it and try to pass?!?!? 
  • hnacksonhnackson Registered Users 38 Posts
    Minkie said:

There's a new Trial about to start in 1d 15h, is that the same for everyone? So far I can see that my pedestal venues (don't know what to call them?) are Table Steaks, Out n Inning and the new Deli, which I don't have yet. Hmm should I get it and try to pass?!?!? 

It looks to be the same minkie. I don't have 2 of those venues. The rewards for the Trial of Style are not worth me unlocking 2 venues, so I will pass. I'll play up to what I can. The Trial of Style is a good concept, but poor execution (in my opinion).
    @Minkie
    Same here too.. Again, they’re making the last one one of the “newer” venues that I don’t have. I’m still catching up from the previous trial where I ended up getting Hipstir cafe without benefit. I’ll pass also. ?
    @elizard123 @Minkie I have the same venues in my Trial.

I had a similar situation last time. I got Hip Stir just for the Trial, but then I had to make substantial progress before being able to play in the Trial, so it was for nothing. It was a jump for me, I'm only in S1 of Cat Lady Crepes and haven't opened any after that one.

Even without doing the last venue, I managed to get second place, so there may be a good number of others skipping the last venue for the same reason.
    I think it's trying to compare to the Chef Duels in Restaurant (Ramsay) Dash. At least with the chef duels it won't give you the venues unless you have them. Overall, I feel this game is less superior. You also win more gold and stuff with Ramsay Dash and with the tickets it's far easier to get an autochef. Just my opinion.
  • YeslekYeslek Registered Users 26 Posts
    Sounds like some of you had a beta Trial of Style competition. I only had the one a couple of weeks ago and now a new one just opened. So are you saying I'm playing against a group of 50 random people? I'm doing the Trial and I don't "see" any of the people who were in my last one. I don't see @elizard123 at all (last Trial's winner).

This trial is killing me. I killed in Medevil Dines, but that's about it. I'm in 3rd overall, but that will probably change as more people play. What I hate is that these venues come up that I haven't played in forever so I'm lost. (Cat place, Luau, Country Kitchen). And again....there are some that I can't even get close to the 1st place. Like thousands away. No way I could catch without upgrading. Not worth it to put out the gold in random places.
  • Salmon rollSalmon roll Registered Users 106 Posts
    Just tried the new trial of style and I have one question to ask. Why is gold ranked lower as a prize than vip tickets and Fast flo? I have over 1500 vip tickets, so that's kinda useless to me. Fast flo can be prepared in 4 hours. The deal wheels are ok, but I feel that there should be better prizes.
    So my running theory is that the “mystery” venues between the milestone venues match you up with people that also have those venues. (I don’t have some of the venues that people are mentioning between the milestones.) Everyone on this game plays the same milestone levels if able. 

The points gained from the mystery venues + milestone are added to your total point score with your randomized group of 50 people on the leaderboard. This group of players are as closely matched as possible with the same players with similar shared mystery venues. 

@Yeslek
    Were you Kim03 in the game, as in my 1st trial? With all this randomization I’m not so sure anymore!

@Salmon roll
    And yes.... I think everyone would agree: gold is much much more valuable/desired than 4 hour Fast Flo. The game designers got that wrong for sure. 
  • gypsychkgypsychk Registered Users 100 Posts
    So here's something interesting. Lost my progress while waiting for the next milestone to load. When my progress was restored (same day, which blew my mind after my last two experiences losing progress and having to wait weeks), I had different venues between milestones. But was still ranked as though I'd played those venues.
    I abandoned the trial, rather than figure out how to improve my ranking (5th) by replaying venues. No idea if I was playing against the same people before/after progress was lost.
  • punkysdilemmapunkysdilemma Registered Users 160 Posts
    Mine never let me into the second level of ToS after I failed it once (a Cutie Cakes level). I had endless spinning Flo multiple times after tapping Play. So much for that...
    another ToS pending! 
    but wow that sucks when you already know you can’t get past the first milestone.  :s

another ToS pending! 
    but wow that sucks when you already know you can’t get past the first milestone.  :s

What is the first venue?
    I saw the new ToS pending. We're heading for Jamaica Christmas Day and that's when it's going on. The resort doesn't have wifi on the campus - only in the lobby. I love this game, but I'm beaching it for the week! :)

I can't see what the first venue is in the next ToS. I just know I would've done so much better if the Lava and Indian restaurant weren't there. I don't have a lot of upgrades and played them so long ago, I don't remember the combos.

@elizard123 I don't think we played against each other the time you came in 1st. Your name doesn't sound familiar. I am mms1218. AGain - I just assumed that we ALL played with each other.
    another ToS pending! 
    What is the first venue?
    I’ve got these milestones:
    1st: Country fried cabin
    2nd: Cutie Cakes
    3rd: Tapas del mar
    4th: Country fried cabin (again)

Aside from cutie cakes, this round is a complete non-starter for me. 
    edited December 2017

another ToS pending! 

What is the first venue?

I’ve got these milestones:
    1st: Country fried cabin
    2nd: Cutie Cakes
    3rd: Tapas del mar
    4th: Country fried cabin (again)

Aside from cutie cakes, this round is a complete non-starter for me. 

Ah crud, I was going to do the tapas place next....and I am only on season 2 of cfc

are there special shows in the trial?
    Yes, if the wreath icon on the final milestone means that that is the special show for that venue, then that must be it. (It was hard for me to tell because I don’t have that venue in the first place, but it makes sense because it offers 9 saucers to the venue on my screen). thanks for pointing that out!
    All I see for the TOS is the country kitchen. The ones before it are just grayed out. What I find crazy is that we see different things. I don't see any wreaths. 

I'll do miserably with the tapas. Again. Done too long ago. 
    @Yeslek
    aww, that’s too bad that really wasn’t you after all. the thought of it was nice though. still cool to have met a fellow top rank player. I will keep an eye out for your player name in the future. ;) Have a great vacation! the beach sounds wonderful this time of year :)
    Last time I had a trial with the new deli venue, boy did I have a field day with that. Right now, I'm trying to get 300 stars in dreamy delights, I spent 77 gold on 2 upgrades. No Joke, Black cherry and strawberry level 3 costs 44 and 33 gold respectively.
    I know @elizard123. It was fun thinking we played against each other. It does seem like all of the super fans are here so we def can share info. 

Have a a great holiday too!  Where are you located?  I'm outside of Philadelphia. 
    edited December 2017
    Thanks! @Yeslek
    I’m from somewhere in the middle of California. But don’t let that fool you, it is still cold here (not Philadelphia cold, but chilly enough for me). Definitely makes sense to head south for the winter. 

@Salmon roll
    Ouch! I haven’t unlocked DD yet either, but that sounds painful. I still cringe at the idea that it takes 30 gold on the 1st upgrade to increase the number of seats to 4 on Cutie Cakes. 
  • LuleGirlLuleGirl Registered Users 24 Posts

Yes, if the wreath icon on the final milestone means that that is the special show for that venue, then that must be it. (It was hard for me to tell because I don’t have that venue in the first place, but it makes sense because it offers 9 saucers to the venue on my screen). thanks for pointing that out!

Yes, it’s the symbol for Merry Feastmas.

I'm a little bummed to see that of the milestones, Cutie Cakes is the only one that I've done. So the farthest I'll be able to go is up to (but not including) the first milestone. Sounds like a good number of other people here are in the same boat. So maybe it's worth doing the first 4 and seeing how far I can get in the rankings from those?
    Last time I was only able to play up to the second milestone (because I didn’t have it)  and I still came in 7th. I was hoping to come in lower so i would win something other than fast Flo.
    They should put up better powerups like the ones that take more than one day to make
    They should put up better powerups like the ones that take more than one day to make
    I agree that would be nice, but maybe problematic for those who have not reached fame level high enough?
    I'm pretty sure you can obtain powerups that have not been unlocked