Options

Recommended UI changes (apologize for the length)

KohaisanKohaisan Registered Users 18 Posts
As DH 2014 v2 is now up to 12 regions, how about recommended UI changes?

1) Present a Region matrix screen. This screen would show the regions in either pictoral or alphanumeric format. Currently scrolling through the regions to get to the one you wish to hunt is beginning to be cumbersome. Providing a region matrix would allow the player to select the region one wishes to hunt without having to serially scroll through a number of regions one DOESN'T wish to hunt. And since, by the end of the year, there be at least five more regular/club hunt regions and at least one more hidden region, *a Refion Selection screen will make the process much easier.
2) For program updates, provide an "Update All Regions" "Update All Hidden Regions button(s). Currently, with 12 regular/club hunt regions and 2 Hidden Regions, it takes approximately 5 minutes to update. All regions have to be updated because the Club Hunt regions are tied to a regular hunt region. An "Update All" button would simply the process of going through this REQUIRED procedure.
3) Provide a brief synopsis of updates. Recently, there have been several program updates, but we really don't know what was changed. Providing an update synopsis would at least give us some idea of for what to expect (or not expect) post-update.

I understand that with changes like these, there will initially be some bugs to be worked out over a period of time. But, for me, it will be worth the growing pains.

Thanks for considering!

Comments

• Options
    DjRadNaDDjRadNaD Registered Users 1,448 Posts
    Personally I don't care for any of these ideas, but I guess someone else might have had this idea before, because the dino hunter game that comes out next week just had UI changes.

It has never taken me 5 minutes to do all the updates, but I can see how that can be annoying... But your idea suggests that it takes 5 minutes to FIND the updates, cause whether you do 3 updates that take a minuter or 1 update that takes 3 minutes, isn't that the same thing?

As for what came with updates, this just sounds like a waste of time to me because it would be a huge list of little bug fixes and speed and animal movement changes. But I would like to see a simplified list, I was thinking that in the App Store where it says the version updates, why don't they right a new version number with each small update I.e. 2.2.1, cause the 3 digit is always 0 so why even have it lol. And here is where they could say what the changes were
    My device: iPhone 5c
    Choice Dude on Board
  • Options
    K. Appreciate the feedback. Not hard over one way or another. Just recommended changes. My point was the time it takes to update the all region maps AFTER a new update. Re: App store...the minor changes via updates have not been delineated in App store, at least not that I have seen. Admit I'm a geek and spent 20 years in IT ops and development. Anyway, thanks for voicing your opinion.
  • Options
    SheppeckSheppeck Registered Users 1,609 Posts
    I think the reason Glu has people update the regions individually has to do with space. This app is using a lot of memory on my iPhone. This app is by far taking the most space on my phone. And one way to lesson the space taken up is to only download regions that you actually play. On my device it takes less than a minute to download the regions.
    :cool:iPhone 6:cool:
  • Options
    Eli_the_HunterEli_the_Hunter Registered Users 660 Posts
    The game does take up a lot of space. I think the idea of not scrolling through every region is a very good idea. Perhaps instead of changing the whole format of its presentation glu can put a link to each region on the dots of the bottom of the map. This would make transferring from region 1 to 12 a snap! Downloading all is an alright idea but I'm with Shep, it doesn't take much time to download the regions on my phone, the game start up takes much longer.
    :cool: iPhone 4s :cool:
  • Options
    The app is taking up 741mb on my iPhone. Which is double the size of my next biggest app.
  • Options
    blue ridgeblue ridge Registered Users 442 Posts
    I would consider most of those suggestions improvements (#2 wouldn't matter much either way to me). What I would mostly like is the option of selecting hunts sometimes. I seem to get an awful lot of elephant hunts, which are ridiculously easy. I really liked the region 11 hornbill hunt until it got updated to much, much easier. I would prefer some hunts to be a challenge, but as you play you get awfully good at this game. A lot of us are playing without scopes on our weapons, and making little games out of hunts (try to get extra kills, kill at spawning point, don't start hunt until 15 second warning, etc.) just to keep them interesting. I am very glad you allow us to get a couple of shots off after a final attacking predator, last bird, etc. That's mostly why I still play! :)

I would also propose that the bounties start over after completion. I know only us hard core players would get the benefits, but it was a lot of fun working towards completing those.
    Facebook player
  • Options
    I like Eli's idea of a link to get to the the regions. It could be just a number for the region. And all you would have to do is tap on what region you want to go to.
  • Options
    All good comments. Space is definitely an issue...can no longer play ipad1 due to memory and space requirements. Eli good point...anything to facilitating getting to the hunt you want would be appreciated. Sheppeck, I download all the updated maps in order to play the club hunts right away...just a personal choice. My internet connection is about 12 Mb/s, still takes about 3-5 minutes for all hunt and hidden region maps. What are you guys using that it only takes a minutes for ALL the maps?!!!
  • Options
    I use my home WIFi network. Not sure of the speed. But never had any complaints about it.

And I also download all of the maps. I like playing all of the club hunts.
  • Options
    sounds to me like kohaisan's download times might be due to his memory being full... I usually play on my iPhone, but I let my nephews download as many games as they wanted to my iPad and it is a turtle.

even though as shep said 741 MB is the biggest app I have, there are much larger ones out there, I did research on it in the past, and there were actually complaints by developers that had apps over 2GB (less in the more distant past) that couldnt add them to the app store becuase of their size, and there are limits on the size of apps that users can download over the 4g network (much smaller) so a way to get around this is to have in-app downloads. this can inhibit the number of users that spontaneously download their apps. this might be the reason glu does this.
    Choice Dude on Board
  • Options
    Would that it were that simple, DJ. Clear the tray and memory prior to playing DH every time. Now, play is on iPod touch 5. Sheppeck, I too use home WiFi net connection, and there are usually no other users conflicting performance of throughput. So...guess I'll just live with it.
  • Options
    man, isnt it crazy how impatient mankind has become, was just thinking about how dial-up took more than 5 mins just to boot up
    Choice Dude on Board
  • Options
    Yep, just donated my Windows 98 Dell desktop to a museum with the 14.4 modem included.