Heads up for new iPhone and iOS 8

Just a reminder to those of you getting a new iPhone, backup your game to iTunes. And even then it's not a sure thing. The other day I updated my iPad to iOS 8. Backed it up first to iTunes and iCloud. Did not work! DH started me at level1. No big deal as I mainly play dh on kindle. Dino hunter on the other hand was a issue! Started at region1. But 2 other games were intact, current level,money,achievements etc. My belief is that glu games are hard to save on iOS. I contacted Apple to get my money spent on Dino's back. They did, thankfully! But starting from scratch again. So if you don't want to risk it, save your older phone and just play your game on that. Or risk it, and try the backup. I even had a customer support person talk me through the update, he assured me my games would be intact. When it didn't happen he said it was the developer of the game that needs to know about this. The other 2 games that were intact: "Gunner Z" and "Dead Trigger 2" all were kept current. Good luck ~T.F
Galaxy tab S :cool: Kindle hdx

Comments

• Bill1957Bill1957 Registered Users 972 Posts
    todfoxx wrote: »
    Just a reminder to those of you getting a new iPhone, backup your game to iTunes. And even then it's not a sure thing. The other day I updated my iPad to iOS 8. Backed it up first to iTunes and iCloud. Did not work! DH started me at level1. No big deal as I mainly play dh on kindle. Dino hunter on the other hand was a issue! Started at region1. But 2 other games were intact, current level,money,achievements etc. My belief is that glu games are hard to save on iOS. I contacted Apple to get my money spent on Dino's back. They did, thankfully! But starting from scratch again. So if you don't want to risk it, save your older phone and just play your game on that. Or risk it, and try the backup. I even had a customer support person talk me through the update, he assured me my games would be intact. When it didn't happen he said it was the developer of the game that needs to know about this. The other 2 games that were intact: "Gunner Z" and "Dead Trigger 2" all were kept current. Good luck ~T.F

Good to know about the new update. The last update crashed my iPhone 4s and I lost everything. I had to restore the phone to factory setup settings. I was lucky that my cloud backup worked and I got everything back including dh14 and Dino.
    :cool:IPhone 6:cool:
  • todfoxxtodfoxx Registered Users 1,933 Posts
    Good to hear Bill, but it does sound like a 50/50 chance that all will go well. I wish the best of luck for those transferring their games to the new phone. I personally should have waited awhile before updating to iOS 8. Oh well, it's all good..now! :cool:
    I'm planning to get a new iPhone 6 in Jan. I'll wait on IOS 8 until then.
  • SheppeckSheppeck Registered Users 1,609 Posts
    I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 last night. Didn't have any issues with DH14 or dino hunters.

I am hoping when I get the iphone 6 plus it will go that smoothly. But I am planning to keep my old iPhone if it doesn't work.
    :cool:iPhone 6:cool:
    That's good to hear Sheppeck, I hope it goes just as smoothly with the new phone. iPhone 6 plus, is that the one with the bigger screen?
  • casajrcasajr Registered Users 1,468 Posts
    I updated my 4S and iPad mini to iOS 8 also. No issues that I can see. iBooks seems to be slower, but that is not relevant here.
    Common Sense is an ultra-rare superpower.
  • SheppeckSheppeck Registered Users 1,609 Posts
    todfoxx wrote: »
    That's good to hear Sheppeck, I hope it goes just as smoothly with the new phone. iPhone 6 plus, is that the one with the bigger screen?
    The iPhone 6 plus is the one with the bigger screen. I will wait a month and get it. Apple is already out of stock on it.
    :cool:iPhone 6:cool:
    I did forget to mention the glitch I encountered when I upgraded to iOS 8. It locked me out of my iPad, and it was asking for a code. I never enabled this feature. That's why I had to do a recovery start up. So you guys that updated without a problem I'm happy for you! :cool:
  • casajrcasajr Registered Users 1,468 Posts
    Yeah, it always defaults to setting a passcode on an update. You need to search a little bit to find the Skip This Step.
    Common Sense is an ultra-rare superpower.
  • DeathShadow007DeathShadow007 Registered Users 593 Posts
    I didn't have any problems with upgrading to iOS 8. As for getting the new iPhone, it looks great, but being as I got my 5C in April, I don't plan on getting it. I don't want the trouble of possibly losing all my data. Besides, I like what I already have.
    :cool: Blue iPhone 5c Verizon :cool:
  • Can2buryCan2bury Registered Users 1 Posts
    I also purchased a new iPhone 6 and did the whole backup and restore as directed and I lost everything.
    The issue is not with iOS 8 as that would install on a phone no problem. The issue is with upgrading to a new device and using the backup/restore feature that should carry your saved game to a new device.
    Glu has scewed up this time in that it is not backing up game progress to iTunes.
    Other game I have on my phone carried over correctly, no issues. This clearly tells me that I did the backup and restore successfully.
    What is the point of spending time playing a game and buying weapons if you are just going to lose them if you change devices.
    That was the point I was trying to make. So to all, be cautious! If you have done it successfully before, then please share.
    Maybe Glu needs to get off their collective butts and fix this issue. It's been brought up repeatedly. Time to step up to the plate Glu. You are being called out. Man up!!!!
  • jdcarsonjdcarson Registered Users 3 Posts
    This is a repost from another thread I just commented on:

I contacted the company and was simply told they could do nothing. They just said this is the way the game is designed. Absolutely no help. I have seen complaints of this nature in the past with no urge for a fix. Very, very poor form. I would avoid this company's products like the plague.
    Someone told me Glu games do not backup to iCloud, but other (most) games do. For example, I play Gunner z on iPad, and it tells you right when you start how much data the game has saving on cloud. Then right before you close the game it does the same. That game made it through my recovery restore that I did. Same as I would if I was transferring the data to another device. It short, keep playing on your old phone or start over. DH doesn't have much more to go anyway.
  • brumbyptbrumbypt Registered Users 33 Posts
    Yep upgraded to ios8,
    heaps of little buggy problems, like my logitech keyboard shortcuts not all working in safari, then I acceidently locked the ipad. I entered my passcode, nope didnt work, tried all sorts of things.
    Second problem is that its not charging every time I plug in the charge lead, so wont always talk to pc that way. Now its setup to backup to the cloud.

long story shortened..

Had to factory reset ipad, lost DH and have gone back to level 1.
    Look in game centre and all my achievements are there.. So why doesnt it recognise that in the game and let me continue??

So annoying.

Wont be replaying the game from level 1.. I will be looking for a new game.
    iPad Pro and iPhone 7 plus