Options

Barton MK VII - on which real crossbow is based?

Hello there :D, first of all sorry for my language mistakes.

I wonder on which crossbow in reality Barton MK VII is based. Anyone have idea? I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Options
    casajrcasajr Registered Users 1,468 Posts
    I believe it is just a fantasy bow, as I am not aware of any production semi-auto crossbows in existence. I could be wrong of course.
    Common Sense is an ultra-rare superpower.
  • Options
    GreaskveilGreaskveil Registered Users 3 Posts
    First repeating crossbows existed 400 BC - made by China. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow#History
  • Options
    I'm sure there were/are one-off attempts at it, but, as I said, none that I know that are in production. The ones referenced are auto feed, but still required pulling back the string manually. They are analogous to a pump shotgun or a single action revolver or a bolt action rifle. Without an auto string pullback, you would never achieve the cyclic rate of the Barton.

The problem is that a separate energy source is needed to pull back the string and feed the bolt, as there is no gas to divert as you would have when firing a bullet.
  • Options
    GreaskveilGreaskveil Registered Users 3 Posts
    We can exclude repetating thing :>

I just wanna know design of this crossbow, on which real one is based, mechanic things aren't necessary for me at all (yet).
  • Options
    None. It's a made-up weapon.

For inspiration, look at some of the Barnetts. http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/crossbows
  • Options
    Michael BMichael B Registered Users 24 Posts
    There was actually a guy who made a bow almost just like it, semi auto and all. By the looks of it I would think that one could have been based on the Barnet Brotherhood or the Jackal. Good luck, check out youtube to find the guy that is how I first seen it. He is old and the bow is huge but its a good watch if you are into it.