Options

Am I using the Monk's Dodge wrong? It feels far less useful than Warrior's Parry.

diadmerdiadmer Registered Users 1 Posts
I alternate between Monk and Warrior, and I've noticed something: my monk needs a Gear Score at or above the recommended threshold for most fights, and my Warrior needs a Gear Score about 50 or 100 points lower than the recommended Gear Score to complete a level.

I think the difference is in the Parry skill being so much better than Dodge. Consider what each of them does:

Parry
1. Avoids immediate damage from the Parried attack.

2. Interrupts the enemy's attack, stopping follow-up damage from the Parried attacker.

3. Launches a counterattack, which both damages and blows back ALL attackers in its path.

Dodge
1. Avoids immediate damage from the Dodged attack, and other attacks at that same instant.

2. Interrupts YOUR attack, but leaves you vulnerable to immediate follow-up damage. The description says "become temporarily invulnerable" but this appears to last only for the blink of an eye.

3. Moves you out of range so you cannot attack the Dodged enemy. This also moves you out of some enemies' attack range, but not bosses. Catkins and Wolfmans have lunge-and-claw attacks that they string one after each other that they can easily use to attack you while you are essentially helpless waiting for the Dodge cooldown timer to work.

When looking at this comparison, it seems to me that Dodge results in less damage dealt than Parry because it doesn't have a counterattack, and more damage received than Parry because it doesn't interrupt the enemy attack sequence.

How can I use it more effectively? Any ideas?

It seems like Dodge would make the Monk more of a skirmisher compared to the Warrior acting as a tank/brawler. But the Warrior's huge attack reach and breadth with his swinging sword absolutely dwarfs the Monk's tiny punch range/radius. You would think then that the Monk would be much better at avoiding damage, but the Warrior has StoneSkin AND a passive skill to automatically trigger Parry sometimes! The Monk is only good at running, crits, and gathering up critical strike damage, none of which are particularly useful if you never stay close enough to your enemy to do him much damage without getting your head knocked off.

I want the Monk to be fun, I really do, but it kind of feels like the deck is stacked against him and he doesn't actually have a viable attack/defense strategy. And when your Gear Score can be practically limited by not being able to upgrade because you don't have the reagents that you can't get until you beat the next boss that you can't beat because your Gear Score isn't high enough, and you can't figure out a fighting style that can compensate for the insufficient Gear Score, it's just disheartening.

Comments

• Options
    MormonDudeMormonDude Registered Users 7 Posts
    I think your right. I might be missing something of coarse, as I only started playing, but I find the warriors parry much more reliable, especially against the cyclops. I would stay on the warrior entirely, except I can't bring my overall ratings up as fast, and I'm trying to look attractive to upper tier guilds.
    lvl 75 grand dragon in ew2
  • Options
    OnikiruOnikiru Registered Users 16 Posts
    I concur, there definitely needs to be some adjustments made to the monk. It's definitely a more challenging role to play, which is fine. But the warrior does seem to get some high favoritism. Not saying monk should be on par with warrior, but his defense tactics could be tweaked a bit better. Regardless, I still love my monk. Takes a bit more thought to fight as opposed to the hack and slash warrior.
  • Options
    EternityWarriorEternityWarrior Registered Users 450 Posts
    The dodge's invulnerability time increases a little when you level up the skill every time. And for killing cat/wolfam just keep on attacking and use skills at the right time.

I wouldn't care about dodge being weaker as long as they can fix the orb of light, which doesn't work as stated in the skill description. If the orb of light works properly monk has the potential of being able to do the most DPS.

By the way, monk is invulnerable to attacks when he uses his final skill, where as warrior could still be killed in the process.