Options

Killing Time

Uberness1985Uberness1985 Registered Users 100 Posts
I was doing some research on the Chinese New Year while waiting for the servers to come back up. Did yall know that Nian is actually a mythical beast associated with the Chinese New Year?!? He went around to villages terrorizing ppl and eating children. Might b a no brainier for any Chinese players but to everyone else it atleast makes for an interesting read. Check him out on Wikipedia

Comments

• Options
    pelepalapelepala Registered Users 349 Posts
    Nian or Lion in now chinese tradition is consider good fortune. alot of big business and home have 2 statues: male and female or ying and yang in the front door to warn off evil and bring in fortune. Most commonly seem will be the "lion dance" when they perform in front of new businesses or celebration parties for a small "red envelope " fee.

Chinese New years is when you see alot of them lion parading all at once along with fortune Boy/girl and dragon for good luck in China ofcause. in the US certian city like LA. NYC, Atlanta and Chicago has them too but the scale is small compare to Mainland china.

O and the costume Jade cyclops wear is fortune boy/girl outfit ofcause modern day costume are not that exposing.
  • Options
    EternityWarriorEternityWarrior Registered Users 450 Posts
    ^Those are not Nian, they are Qilin (you usually see them infront of temples).

The costume which jade cyclops kind of reminds me of Nezha.
  • Options
    pelepalapelepala Registered Users 349 Posts
    Most of the statue in front of the door are guardian lions or Shi. which mean lion. Qilin are rarely seem in pair. yes maybe at certain temple they will be one statue. and Nian is a somewhat mixed description. could be qilin or lion depends on the description.

and yes cyclop costume is Nezha attire. I'm just glad they skipped out the nezha hairstyle for cyclop or it will be so messed up.
  • Options
    Uberness1985Uberness1985 Registered Users 100 Posts
    Learn something new every day.
  • Options
    lauapiklauapik Registered Users 490 Posts
    ^Those are not Nian, they are Qilin (you usually see them infront of temples).

The costume which jade cyclops kind of reminds me of Nezha.

Qilin is the equivilent of Chimera of western myth.