Options

Golem vs Resolve (warning: tons of math)

DrunkLightningDrunkLightning Registered Users 21 Posts
It seems the general consensus that Resolve is the best suffix, because it gives you health defense and armor.

HOWEVER, the issue stands at how defense is calculated. From my guestimated experience resolve has about 60% of the defense that Golem offers. It also gives about ~10x the HP conferred from the defense. Let's say theoretically you have 5 pieces of Resolve that give you a total of 300 defense and 3000 more HP. Assume that we have 5000 base HP as well. 5 pieces of Golem would then give about 500 defense but no HP.

Now comes the question of whether defense is linearly scaled (Damage - Defense = damage dealt) or percentage scaled (damage * (some variable based off defense stat) = damage dealt) From my experience so far, it APPEARS to be linearly scaled. Therefore, calculating EFFECTIVE health becomes difficult, as how much damage your enemies do to you will influence this.

For example, if a boss hits you for 600 true damage, then with resolve you will take 300 damage. At 8000 total health, you could take about 26 hits.

However, with Golem you would take 100 per hit, but only have 5000 health. This means that you will be killed at 50 blows exactly.

However, as the numbers start to go up, weird things happen. Let's say a boss hits you for 1000 true damage now.

For Resolve, this would mean that you would take 700 damage, with 8000 health. This would mean you could survive about 11 hits.

With Golem, this is 500 damage with 5000 HP. This means you are killed at 10 exactly.

What does this mean exactly? This is all about how much damage the enemy can do, and how much DEFENSE you can get from your stats. (Also a lot of this math is done without knowing official stats, so pros with tons of experience and items, do help me out here.) In general, the less damage enemies do to you, the more effective Golem is.

So far in the game I have invested in Golem items rather than Resolve like everyone says. Based off what I have just (Very sleepily) calculated, do people think it's a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    GuaizzGuaizz Registered Users 11 Posts
    can you give us a screen shot of an unbreakable "Golem" piece or a Godly golem, both at 3 star so we can make a comparison. Otherwise most of us wouldnt know what to expect. Thank you
  • Options
    Guaizz wrote: »
    can you give us a screen shot of an unbreakable "Golem" piece or a Godly golem, both at 3 star so we can make a comparison. Otherwise most of us wouldnt know what to expect. Thank you

I know I couldn't. I'm only at 1600 GS D:
  • Options
    VoidBladerVoidBlader Registered Users 255 Posts
    2 issue

1. Gold gears only be resovle or fortitude type, that still Hp+Def type. So it dont matter to think what is better, when you look at the best, it the only type you can have.

2. This game has minimum damage. When you def is excess enemy atk, all the damage you take will stay the same, so it pointless to have more def. And when you take heavy damage, you gonna need hp more than def too.
  • Options
    VoidBlader wrote: »
    2 issue

1. Gold gears only be resovle or fortitude type, that still Hp+Def type. So it dont matter to think what is better, when you look at the best, it the only type you can have.

2. This game has minimum damage. When you def is excess enemy atk, all the damage you take will stay the same, so it pointless to have more def. And when you take heavy damage, you gonna need hp more than def too.

Gold gear is hard to come by. I mean when you're in the middle range of using blues/purples, it could theoretically be possible for Golem to outclass Resolve. It just comes down to the math of how much defense you can get and how much damage is inflicted to you

Minimum damage arguement is void. The damage being dealt to you is so little it doesn't matter at all.
  • Options
    mikavicamikavica Registered Users 10 Posts
    Obviously you are math genious. Though as already mentioned end game golem is not an option. As for the second statement concerning early and mid game.. People already struggle finding any gear to move forth and you'd like to suggest to run with 0% iif? Lets say you're right and it does make you durable more. Does the few hits from bosses which you have to farm hundreds of times more then people with resolve actually help? Hardly any logic behind it
  • Options
    mikavica wrote: »
    Obviously you are math genious. Though as already mentioned end game golem is not an option. As for the second statement concerning early and mid game.. People already struggle finding any gear to move forth and you'd like to suggest to run with 0% iif? Lets say you're right and it does make you durable more. Does the few hits from bosses which you have to farm hundreds of times more then people with resolve actually help? Hardly any logic behind it

Ah, but this is where you are wrong. Golem gives the same about of IIF as well.
  • Options
    VoidBladerVoidBlader Registered Users 255 Posts
    Gold gear is hard to come by. I mean when you're in the middle range of using blues/purples, it could theoretically be possible for Golem to outclass Resolve. It just comes down to the math of how much defense you can get and how much damage is inflicted to you

Minimum damage arguement is void. The damage being dealt to you is so little it doesn't matter at all.

1. May be my IIF is so high so I never see one, but purple gear has Golem type, really?

2. Well, wait till you see 146+ dmg as minimum, and you would cry for those extra HP.

3. What the point to consider this again? I mean the real issue people have is the boss, not the mob. And We would only farm endlessly with the boss, or the mob in endless that deal almost the same damage as the boss. And you said it yourself, def is not as useful as HP when facing heavy damage. Why go for something that never in need?
  • Options
    VoidBlader wrote: »
    1. May be my IIF is so high so I never see one, but purple gear has Golem type, really?

2. Well, wait till you see 146+ dmg as minimum, and you would cry for those extra HP.

3. What the point to consider this again? I mean the real issue people have is the boss, not the mob. And We would only farm endlessly with the boss, or the mob in endless that deal almost the same damage as the boss. And you said it yourself, def is not as useful as HP when facing heavy damage. Why go for something that never in need?

I am not so much advocating Golem rather just bringing up a curious point. I've shown with math that there is a "break point" where Golem will offer you better survivability when facing CERTAIN amounts of damage. I do not actually know how much damage bosses do higher up, or much defense one can actually get out of Golem.

Though now I wish they'd kept a higher level version of Golem for purples and golds though :p
  • Options
    XephraimXephraim Registered Users 130 Posts
    Just as DrunkLightning says there IS a "Break Point" but to answer him directly, It's no use to go for Golem gear since you need HP for higher survivability at bosses. They do heavy dmg. At the end of a stage is a boss who does "big" damage and the 3 "big bosses" do even more damage(including event bosses). And no its also no use in endlessmode since if you go for the better gear you will confront mini bosses over and over. They all do dmg. With Golem its only easier to confront weak mops you dont even need AND you always have to compare it with non-purple/gold equip which is always better.
    In my case. I also can't get legendary equip which i need. I farm legendary Hellboy sometimes, but its boring to do this so i will stick with purple and blue gear forever. I'll never get unbreakable.
  • Options
    gizzegizze Registered Users 8 Posts
    To sum it up. It's fine to crunch some numbers and investigate options. But in the end in this perticular case, Resolve is the best option regardless of level. :)
  • Options
    DemonicDemonic Registered Users 167 Posts
    Threads void.
    legendary/epic doesnt have golem.
    Resolves legendary/epic only.
    Fail lol.

That took no maths lol.
    Demonic666
  • Options
    XephraimXephraim Registered Users 130 Posts
    Demonic wrote: »
    Threads void.