Options

Crit chance vs Crit damage? Math again

DrunkLightningDrunkLightning Registered Users 21 Posts
I see that everyone recommends CD over CC, which makes me curious if it really is the better option. Of course, the "butcher" suffix offers the best of both worlds, but I like my item find rate :P So I decided to see which one would offer better benefits, for myself, and for anyone else.

Assume that we have a weapon that nets us 2000 damage, and two trinkets that give us 60% CD a piece and 11% CC a piece as well. This puts our critical damage at at 210%, or 6200 base damage if we land a crit. We also have a 22% chance to land critical hits. Assume we hit an enemy 10 times, this means that we should on average land about two critical hits, thus netting a total base damage of 28400.

Now let's say we get a critical chance modifier on the weapon that adds another 11% critical hit chance. Now we have a 33% chance to land a critical hit, so in our 10 hits we would now do 3 critical hits on average, giving us a total damage of 32600.

Now for CD. Say our weapon gives us another 60% CD. Now we have 270% critical hit damage. If we land a critical hit, it will now do a base damage of 7400. If we hit an enemy 10 times, we'll do 30800.

So it appears that critical damage loses in this case. I could test other numbers, but I'm using close to endgame values, so these are the numbers that would count.

Just for kicks though, how much damage would Butcher give us?

Now we would have 3 crits out of 10, and the increase damage. 3*7400 + 7*2000 = 36200. The damage actually isn't THAT impressive. In my opinion, the best item suffix would be IIF and CC.

Comments

• Options
    anseioanseio Registered Users 11 Posts
    My main game is DC Universe Online. There, we always take Critical Chance over Critical Damage/Heal. What good is a bigger damage number if it happens less frequently?

Since EW3 uses different numbers and much higher percentages, I'm not sure how it would translate over.
  • Options
    EternityWarriorEternityWarrior Registered Users 450 Posts
    Someone with 10% crit chance may have a chance to crit 10 times in a row, while someone with 80% crit chance might not get a single crit in 15 strikes.

Chances are always random.
  • Options
    Hagia SophiaHagia Sophia Registered Users 13 Posts
    I actually calculated the damage I do, now, and against the demon prince... and CC end up higher too
  • Options
    Someone with 10% crit chance may have a chance to crit 10 times in a row, while someone with 80% crit chance might not get a single crit in 15 strikes.

the chances of either happening are astronomically low. Chance are random yes, and that's why AVERAGES exist. To approximate outputs. In this case, on average, CC will give you more damage than CD.
  • Options
    SikariosSikarios Registered Users 56 Posts
    As a general rule, if you are at least midway through legendary mode then CC is always better, GearScore be darned! Each point of CC gives 15 GS, each point of CD gives 3.75 GS. These are static numbers so they don't scale with level/atk/anything. But yeah a dead-simple calculation like you have there can clear up any question of which is better.

Generic formula:
    Total average attack = Atk(1 + CC * CD)
    (Obviously decimals, not percentages)
  • Options
    XenoshadoWXenoshadoW Registered Users 9 Posts

Random, yes, but it's also a random chance as to whether or not an airplane will fly into my house at this exact moment and it's also a random chance as to whether Jehova's Witness will come knocking on my door. They're both random, but one is FAR more likely to occur. Furthermore, what we are talking about here is statistics, which deals with averages over extended periods of time.

Yes, it is possible that someone with a 10% cc will hit 10 critical hits in a row while someone with an 80% cc will not hit a single critical in 15 strikes, but this is very unlikely. Over the course of 100 or more strikes, a higher critical chance will inevitably lead to more critical hits. We're talking about averages over time here, and statistics as a proven branch of mathematics shows that odds bear out pretty close to their expected values over extended periods of time.

So the OP's calculations will bear out to be very accurate when you consider them over the course of an extended battle or many short battles. Either way, at the end of the day you do more damage with CC. This is of course assuming that OP isn't leaving anything out of his equation...
  • Options
    XenoshadoW wrote: »
    This is of course assuming that OP isn't leaving anything out of his equation...

The only thing I'm missing would be hard endgame values for Trans/Unbreak/Godly items. I estimated these stats based on what I saw from people's equipment. I could be slightly off; could anyone post the CC/CD values for the endgame purple/gold items?
  • Options
    StpwnerStpwner Registered Users 109 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the godly ring is about 12.2%cc and like 128%cd
    Game isn't working so I can't check. The talisman has same cc but slightly less cd(around 121% I think)