Options

Monk buff

chmkchmk Registered Users 34 Posts
Dear gluadmin,

I am sure that i am not the only one who feels that the monk is overdue for an upgrade. Frankly, compared to the other characters, he's a joke. This is unfair due to the fact that many people start the game assuming all characters are equal, only to be disheartened when they find out that their warrior/mage counterparts can kill lhb at 4k gs whilst he needs 5,6k.

With pvp on the horizon, i forsee many complaints if the monk is not buffed. Even in this update, I have 12k as a monk and can't even make a dent into general oni, due to the dodge skill having a cooldown. All the other characters defensive manoeuvres actually have an offensive attack, but all a monk can do is avoid the first strike, useless considering that oni attacks multiple times in quick succession...

If anyone has beaten general oni with monk so far, please feel free to chime in. I am interested in how you did it. It is not fair that warriors at my gs have a chance to get these weapons whilst monks like me don't. I will honestly be surprised if anyone other than a 12963 gs monk DOES get the claws.

I also challenge the developers (who i do not feel actually play/test this game properly) to try and kill general oni with all three characters, and see the difference for themselves.

Thanks
<Ex0dus>
Senior Officer

Comments

• Options
    zolkzolk Registered Users 3 Posts
    I can't agree more. As a 10k gs monk, I can hardly deal more than 15% on his HP before dying to one of his atks, some i can't even dodge. The monk's weakness has also been brought up for endless tower as well. A 10k gs warrior can get through 110-120 without pot but monks simply can't.
  • Options
    ThinIceThinIce Registered Users 463 Posts
    The mage has a 5 second cool down on the spell and if not used properly, can easily cost you a good sum of health...
  • Options
    zolkzolk Registered Users 3 Posts
    ThinIce wrote: »
    The mage has a 5 second cool down on the spell and if not used properly, can easily cost you a good sum of health...

Mage isn't comparable because it has a ranged attack. So the teleport ability isn't needed every second.
  • Options
    UltraSceptileUltraSceptile Registered Users 1,969 Posts
    zolk wrote: »
    Mage isn't comparable because it has a ranged attack. So the teleport ability isn't needed every second.

Mage's range is a joke. I'm okay with it, but warrior IMO is way better.
    UltraSceptile~Forums King.
  • Options
    SneezingCatSneezingCat Registered Users 211 Posts
    Parry/dodge his basic attacks and avoid the flame walls by walking in the open spaces. It's actually very easy to kill him.
    Jewelz
  • Options
    MonnikMonnik Registered Users 24 Posts
    I have beaten him on all 3 characters. My 12.2k warrior with only parry maxed took 2 health potions on the first try. My 10.2k mage with no skills maxed took around 3 health potions and a revive on the first attempt. With my 10950 monk with all skills maxed I needed 5 revives and around 4 health potions. Of course this can all be done with less, but I had no knowledge of the boss' patterns at those first attempts. I can now beat him without potions on my warrior, but I don't think that will happen on my monk.
  • Options
    Monnik wrote: »
    I have beaten him on all 3 characters. My 12.2k warrior with only parry maxed took 2 health potions on the first try. My 10.2k mage with no skills maxed took around 3 health potions and a revive on the first attempt. With my 10950 monk with all skills maxed I needed 5 revives and around 4 health potions. Of course this can all be done with less, but I had no knowledge of the boss' patterns at those first attempts. I can now beat him without potions on my warrior, but I don't think that will happen on my monk.

You need more practice. My friends were finally able to defeat oni without any pots with monk. One even did it without losing a bit of health.
  • Options
    MonnikMonnik Registered Users 24 Posts
    You need more practice. My friends were finally able to defeat oni without any pots with monk. One even did it without losing a bit of health.
    Good to hear it's doable, didn't try again after my first kill. Would be great to find a video guide for monk though.
  • Options
    sergiu111sergiu111 Registered Users 109 Posts
    The thread is about buffing monk. And I absolutely agree. Warrior has a parry with 0 cooldown that gives him invincibility frames. Mage has a teleport that slows the living **** out of you. What does monk have? A dodge skill. Sure, you might argue that it has a really low cooldown but dodging all day isn't gonna kill the boss. My suggestion: Increases the cooldown to 4 seconds, make it buff monk to have 2.5 seconds of 100% evasion and 100% increased attack speed. Like this, he can stick to his foes and deal damage, pretty much what warrior and mage can do.
  • Options
    ThinIceThinIce Registered Users 463 Posts
    Or make monk's evade skill a dive-attack roll that deals 2-300% attack damage while keeping its cool down.
  • Options
    KaufmeatKaufmeat Registered Users 63 Posts
    YES- this thread is about buffing the monk not about ONI. The bottom line is that monk is seriously underpowered in endless, as anyone with a high-level monk can attest. Adding a damage (AOE) effect to his dodge skill (and ideally cutting out the dodge cooldown entirely) would likely go a long way towards making him a viable character for endless. He is easily 5-10 levels behind my approximately equal-strength warrior in endless mode, and my monk has mighty mitts, while my Warrior has a lesser tier 8 weapon.

It is a shame too, because I love the monk's speed and mechanics- he just isn't equipped to deal with large groups... Maybe because his range is so tiny (has to get right up close to enemies to kill them) and he is the only character whose evade skill does no damage.

Also, While he can evade well even in endless, but the timer makes evasion not a viable option. He needs a way to do more damage more quickly and consistently
  • Options

Yes, as US said, I did manage to beat the Oni without losing health, in a 90 second kill time. After 200 kills I also finally got the wep. (The irony does not escape me that I was the one that started this post)

But this is not the point of the post. Oni was only used as an example to point out that warriors and mages have an easier time, and the monk requires more skill.

Monks defensive needs an offensive. Perhaps when he dodges, a line of flame follows in his path that damages opponents?
    <Ex0dus>
    Senior Officer
  • Options
    SneezingCatSneezingCat Registered Users 211 Posts
    No one seems to agree but I feel that monk has the easiest time killing Oni.. You people just need to stop trying to evade things that you don't need to use your skill to dodge..
    And sure he sucks in endless, but for Oni.. Just stop wasting your evade..
    Jewelz
  • Options
    Sneezing, have you even tried to attempt Oni with monk?
  • Options
    I also needed 20% lightning att for oni. A blatant money grabbing scheme from glu- I don't mind needing gems to subtitute them but make them 5 max, not 50 for a gold.
    <Ex0dus>
    Senior Officer
  • Options
    Sneezing what u said about the monk in endless is true and that's what we need to concentrate on. All chars should be equal. Warriors and mage are equal in endless, as well as all other levels (granted oni may be different)
    <Ex0dus>
    Senior Officer
  • Options
    chmk wrote: »
    Sneezing what u said about the monk in endless is true and that's what we need to concentrate on. All chars should be equal. Warriors and mage are equal in endless, as well as all other levels (granted oni may be different)

Mage needs a buff in range in my opinion. She's a mage for gods sake. Her range is only a little bit more than the warriors huge sword.

So IMO, warrior>mage.

But who knows, maybe i just suck at using her.
  • Options
    Freddy406Freddy406 Registered Users 260 Posts
    We need to take off the cooldown for monks sprint. That would be perfect.
  • Options
    JabberminorJabberminor Registered Users 10 Posts
    I beat Legendary Hellboy at 4.4k GS.
  • Options
    sergiu111sergiu111 Registered Users 109 Posts
    I beat Legendary Hellboy at 4.4k GS.

How many revives/pots? And how many hours did it take you?
  • Options
    ArchiliesArchilies Registered Users 3 Posts
    No one seems to agree but I feel that monk has the easiest time killing Oni.. You people just need to stop trying to evade things that you don't need to use your skill to dodge..
    And sure he sucks in endless, but for Oni.. Just stop wasting your evade..

Which oni uve been talking about
  • Options
    sergiu111 wrote: »
    How many revives/pots? And how many hours did it take you?

I beat LHB with 4.4k gs monk. Took around 8 minutes. No pots. Just a lot of hit and run.

Only reason i was able to do that was because of my 15/15 gold lvl36.