Calling all Mages

RankavichRankavich Registered Users 51 Posts
How do you deal with a monk that knows how to play?

They cant be frozen, run in circles away from your abilities and hit and run. In the event you need to ice blink you are now going to be stunned then pummeled to almost dead, without any hope of fleeing (thanks slow mage run).

The only way I have hit a skilled monk is if one of my normal attacks is being fired off as he is directing himself towards me to dash... If it hits and causes damage that is. Geared monks barely take damage unless you get a chain of main attacks or if they mess up enough to stand still for a skill to hit them.

Even my lightning orb will "hit" a monk and no damage will be taken. I understand that defense works in a way that not all hits will connect... but man is it frustrating.

Maybe glu will make it so when they are doing their insanely long multi-hit ability, they are vulnerable to attacks.... kind of like when I use my fire beam. Then the monk will really have to make sure they hit with it. Though most good monks barely ever use it.

Any tips from mages that get face off and win against R0 monks?
Prev1

Comments

• RankavichRankavich Registered Users 51 Posts
    I guess my earlier frustration wasnt enough. I have now only been put up against monks... 10 times. Each one is almost impossible to nail down and hit them. I hope they get nerfed into the ground. I have nothing but contempt for them right now. Maybe I am just being emo because monks are dominating right now. Maybe I have a point with my above post.

Glu, make monks vulnerable... SOMEWHERE. I want to spam roll out of stuns and slows too.

Maybe Ill just do a flavor of the month and get my monk up to speed with PVP gear. Sounds like the way to go right now because balance seems pretty far away.
  • ThinIceThinIce Registered Users 463 Posts
    Monks are the most difficult to go against. What I do is toss a few orbs in his direction. He will run towards me and as he approaches and rolls to freeze, I release an orb and blink just as he tries to shock.

This requires timing and if you blink before he actually charges, you're screwed.
  • revitrevit Registered Users 245 Posts
    Rankavich, are you on IOS or android? I play on android and I find the most difficult thing about fighting mages is the lightning orb and the blink/freeze counter attack. One good crit with the lightning and you've pretty much got the match won. Try blinking, then into lightning orb if they are really trying to get close. After that they might think twice about rolling in on you.
    revit wrote: »
    Rankavich, are you on IOS or android? I play on android and I find the most difficult thing about fighting mages is the lightning orb and the blink/freeze counter attack. One good crit with the lightning and you've pretty much got the match won. Try blinking, then into lightning orb if they are really trying to get close. After that they might think twice about rolling in on you.

I am on IOS. The problem is that a good monk will not go near you till orb is gone. If you manage to get an orb off in close range there is no guarantee that it will even hit him. If he is smart he will roll away immediately. The only thing I have had success is when the monk is moving towards you as you are firing off some normal attacks. Even then they almost never get more than two hits.

On the other hand, they get a couple smacks in it takes a large amount of health away. specially if they get a special in. Their jump kick is garbage, only used to get you to use your ice blink. At least warriors are easier to catch if they are being evasive.
  • ThinIceThinIce Registered Users 463 Posts
    You have to trick them into rolling in your orb. There's still a split second cool down on roll and that's usually enough for one zap.
  • FallenonyouFallenonyou Registered Users 78 Posts
    How about you mages stop using orb as an umbrella? Maybe we wouldn't "hit and run" then, ever think of that?
  • revitrevit Registered Users 245 Posts
    I think a big part of it is that people have been saying the IOS mage for pvp has been re-balanced to the point of being sub-par. For android, I feel like orb always hits in the first half second if you're in range regardless of lag...cooldowns might be different too.
  • DrEADLoRDDrEADLoRD Registered Users 35 Posts
    Never blink out of a monks ninja kick... its suicide.. u can dodge it easily by just moving away... amd once they roll throw a few wand attacks in his direction or put an orb there.. keep normal attacking always... and u need to master ur erruption... always save ur blink for after a chi pull.. and place an orb when he is about to finish his rage of vajra and wait for him outside blink range for more melees or an erruption
    How about you mages stop using orb as an umbrella? Maybe we wouldn't "hit and run" then, ever think of that?

Here is the difference: orb has a large cost, large cool down and is EASY to avoid. Even if placed really well you can get away with one hit, if any as a monk. The dodge roll seems to be spammed.

Monk rolls are spammed as much as warriors parry. When you can spam a defensive ability it puts anyone without a spamable defensive ability at a disadvantage. Specially when the defensive ability of monks and warriors can negate the mages I've blink. I have many times had warriors parry out of ice blink. Monks is a no brained to get out of ice blink.

Another thing. As a Mage my fire beam is NEVER used. A skill that puts the Mage at more of a disadvantage than an advantage. I guess warrior whirlwind has some of the same draw backs. Yet I see whirl wind used all the time. I laugh when mages use fire beam.

The times I have used it in pvp, it gets parried or rolled out of. Then I'm a sitting duck for the duration of the skill.

What happens to monks on all of their abilities minus pummel? Immune. Pummel is on par with Mage fire, works if timed well and doesn't leave you open for very long. These types of skills are working as intended in my opinion.

The end tier skills, all classes, need revamping for pvp.
  • FallenonyouFallenonyou Registered Users 78 Posts
    Rankavich wrote: »
    Here is the difference: orb has a large cost, large cool down and is EASY to avoid. Even if placed really well you can get away with one hit, if any as a monk. The dodge roll seems to be spammed.

Monk rolls are spammed as much as warriors parry. When you can spam a defensive ability it puts anyone without a spamable defensive ability at a disadvantage. Specially when the defensive ability of monks and warriors can negate the mages I've blink. I have many times had warriors parry out of ice blink. Monks is a no brained to get out of ice blink.

Another thing. As a Mage my fire beam is NEVER used. A skill that puts the Mage at more of a disadvantage than an advantage. I guess warrior whirlwind has some of the same draw backs. Yet I see whirl wind used all the time. I laugh when mages use fire beam.

The times I have used it in pvp, it gets parried or rolled out of. Then I'm a sitting duck for the duration of the skill.

What happens to monks on all of their abilities minus pummel? Immune. Pummel is on par with Mage fire, works if timed well and doesn't leave you open for very long. These types of skills are working as intended in my opinion.

The end tier skills, all classes, need revamping for pvp.

Little advice: mages can ice blink and end flame torrent
  • rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts

Orb costs a lot yes but ask a PvP monk what they hate the most about Mage and they will tell you it's the orb. Monk's strength is mobility. Monk's PvP weakness is that the can't effectively attack Warrior or Mage by fists alone. The must use skills and when the use skills they are pinned in place.

Next time a monk rolls and releases a near-by vortex but misses you enough that you are not stunned, call in a bug zapper. If they go thru the rage routine you should have time to get around them, perhaps using the wall to help contain. When they wake up from the skill spanning they will try running. Make them go choose between fire, lightning and wand. Of course they will roll but they will get hit too.
    Another thing. As a Mage my fire beam is NEVER used.
    Yea. Pre-programmed computer monsters is one thing but people with brains move away from those things. I've used it once or twice successfully but always against a frozen warrior/mage and only when I'm desperately behind.
  • bryblunbryblun Registered Users 148 Posts
    Poor mages, so weak.. Not that they DESTROY warriors like little kittens..
    EVERYBODY - DON'T BUY GEMS TILL HACKER PROBLEM IS SOLVED
    Little advice: mages can ice blink and end flame torrent

Little advice: Ice blink is obsolete against a monk. Only a little usable against a warrior if you catch him after a charge. Against a mage it can be used well... because of a 5 Second CD.
    BTW, seems like monks weren't balanced at all. Seems like they are even stronger. Either that or they nerfed mages again. I just fought 4 different monks and they are untouchable. Even standing inside my Lightning orb and taking little to no damage. Their GS wasnt even that high.

Glu, How about a higher CD on their Dodge... I mean ***. How can you warrant a class having the ability to zip around IMMUNE. on such a short CD. Atleast make them vulnerable when they use the top tier skill poorly... I had a monk use it to run out the time... How is that BALANCED?!

I am raging and need to walk away from pvp... until my arena charges are back. SO I CAN BASH MY FACE AGAINST MONK FISTS.
  • pxyche22pxyche22 Registered Users 124 Posts
    mages are a joke now on pvp here in ios, getting owned by both warriors and monks... i barely even see mages now on the leaderboards, the 5 sec cooldown on blink is too much plus u factor in the 5 ice bolts launched when u freeze an enemy, total animation time is greatly increased, allowing a warrior or monk to dash in after a successful blink rendering the mage no more escape... i hope gIu will take another look into this and make the mage the way it was b4 when it can still go toe to toe with any other class ...
    Another idea to help balance...

When a warrior successfully parries. make it have a longer CD. How amazing is it to stand inside a Lightning Orb and Parry EVERY strike from it. Effectively a long range pew pew warrior... ridiculous. I know that doing that is not always gonna work, so what. It should not work at all.

I think it would be fair to implement a CD on parry for a successful parry.
  • PanZillaPanZilla Registered Users 49 Posts
    Another idea to help balance...

When a warrior successfully parries. make it have a longer CD. How amazing is it to stand inside a Lightning Orb and Parry EVERY strike from it. Effectively a long range pew pew warrior... ridiculous. I know that doing that is not always gonna work, so what. It should not work at all.

I think it would be fair to implement a CD on parry for a successful parry.

name one warrior you played that perry orb 100% of times
    its a risky move unless you are way ahead of the match or you don't have time to run away from orb.

remember there is always lag involve... even I see many people mess up perry WW.. (not that they sucks just lag sometimes can make you miss and get punish)

sure I do that sometimes too but no I cant perry orb 100% of time without getting hit and most time I try perry it because other person is a noob
    PanZilla wrote: »
    name one warrior you played that perry orb 100% of times
    its a risky move unless you are way ahead of the match or you don't have time to run away from orb.

remember there is always lag involve... even I see many people mess up perry WW.. (not that they sucks just lag sometimes can make you miss and get punish)

sure I do that sometimes too but no I cant perry orb 100% of time without getting hit and most time I try perry it because other person is a noob

I dont know how many other mages will post here. I have seen many warriors stand in Lightning orb and Spam (SPAM) parry. They generally get all the zaps of the Orb that way.

Either way, it should not be even possible to do. That should not be an option. Let me stand in one of your costly abilities and spam a defensive ability that sends a wave of damage in your direction. An offensive ability should not be ABLE to be ignored.

It is a stretch to think that skill will be the only variable in a match. I dont expect that. I just want a more level field. Its bad enough they raised the mage defense cool down to 5 seconds.

Who would have thought the slowest moving character would have the longest defensive cool down. If they want the mage to be a glass cannon then they should make our offensive skills HURT. All of them.

Then you can choose what style you want. Glass cannon (mage), big defense with a large stick that is slow (warrior) or quick with medium damage (monk).
    Another thing. I beat warriors and monks all the time. I roughly make it to R3-2. That is because I dont spend the entirety of the pvp tourny playing. I can beat a noob. Most people can beat someone that cant time skills of their opponent.

I have faced warriors that will start a Whirl Wind and try to chase me. When I was already far away...

I have faced monks that dont use roll out of an ice blink.

The whole point of this thread is that when a equally skilled mage matches up against a skilled monk, the monk will almost ALWAYS win. Even without the monk running.

I added some other observations about warriors later on in the thread because I thought they were worth mentioning.
    I dont know how many other mages will post here. I have seen many warriors stand in Lightning orb and Spam (SPAM) parry. They generally get all the zaps of the Orb that way.

Either way, it should not be even possible to do. That should not be an option. Let me stand in one of your costly abilities and spam a defensive ability that sends a wave of damage in your direction. An offensive ability should not be ABLE to be ignored.

It is a stretch to think that skill will be the only variable in a match. I dont expect that. I just want a more level field. Its bad enough they raised the mage defense cool down to 5 seconds.

Who would have thought the slowest moving character would have the longest defensive cool down. If they want the mage to be a glass cannon then they should make our offensive skills HURT. All of them.

Then you can choose what style you want. Glass cannon (mage), big defense with a large stick that is slow (warrior) or quick with medium damage (monk).

I don't see u mention any warriors name that can do it?
    Unless other mage is hiding or else it not something worth trying doing at all

Name one warrior should not be so hard since u all say all warrior does it right?
  • Mohamed97Mohamed97 Registered Users 350 Posts
    I don't remember names but obviously i have had warriors parrying every single lightning zap
    most high ranked warriors i face parry every single orb zap, in fact, my mage has more trouble facing warriors now than monks... not that the monk is in any way less than the way it is now, but a skilled warrior can parry. more attacks than it should take, not even mentioning that a single dash can 1 hit ko even a skilled mage... i dont know what kind of data gIu looked at when they decided to nerf mages, but they sure picked the wrong character this time...
    Mohamed97 wrote: »
    I don't remember names but obviously i have had warriors parrying every single lightning zap

Perry all orb light is still sounds too bs to me
    Not that it is not possible but the way u guys sounded like 90% warrior can do this
    Maybe 5% but still bs

Perry one or 2 light, sure I can do it too
    Perry all atk from orb just too bs.. Because u are not just trying to perry orb but u also have to perry atk from mage

Are u telling me u just stand there do nothing and watch him perry all the light orb?

Plz name one warrior that can do that
    Perry all atk from orb just too bs.. Because u are not just trying to perry orb but u also have to perry atk from mage

When u successfully parry a single attack, it negates all incoming attacks as well, so, ur argument is invalid.

Im not saying all warriors can do this, what im saying are high ranked skilled warriors. So, considering the nerfed cd of ice blink, the parry and op dash of warriors, skilled mages get pawned most of the time
    pxyche22 wrote: »
    When u successfully parry a single attack, it negates all incoming attacks as well, so, ur argument is invalid.

Im not saying all warriors can do this, what im saying are high ranked skilled warriors. So, considering the nerfed cd of ice blink, the parry and op dash of warriors, skilled mages get pawned most of the time

Not if you decide to hide under orb all game then it's different
    So which warrior can do it, still got no name

If so many then why so hard to name one

I can name many off my head the mage I played that runs and hide under orb
    Perry all orb light is still sounds too bs to me
    Not that it is not possible but the way u guys sounded like 90% warrior can do this
    Maybe 5% but still bs

Are u telling me u just stand there do nothing and watch him perry all the light orb?

Plz name one warrior that can do that

I really dont know whats your point here. The point is, mages are so overpowered by warriors and monks, that the only way for them to have a chance on winning is to depend on the lightning orb which is now taken away for the fact that that special attack can be easily avoided or parried... Well, i myself dont hide under my orb since i'll be an easy target for a 1 hit kill dash or a vortex/vajra combo... if gIu ddnt nerf the ice blink cooldown, u'll probably see more mages stand toe to toe against any other character
    ~Android Version~

To all mages crying here - explain why the fu cks sake is the WHOLE TOP OF PVP dominated by mages? After reaching rank 3 getting a fight with a non mage is impossible, and as a warrior that sucks, when all top mages (ok almost all, played with one good mage yesterday who didn't lag, i was shocked..) are laggin = are totally invincible. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to hit a laggin mage with a warrior - who the hell doesn't understand this? Most of them can't get a kill on me, but it's enough if their retarded energy-umbrella-orb get 2-3 random hits on me and I'm done.

Don't even start saying orb costs a lot/has high cooldown blablabla. 90% of top players use modded games with infinite gems (400 kills in a single tournament? ye, right, billionaire daddy?) so they **** mana potions, and as for cooldown - lags. Just freeze away from orb then run run run till coldown ends.

As for iOS - seeing the whole crying either 99% of mages on iOS are 10-year old halfbrains or the balancing is different. Way different.

Naming a warrior that I have been up against that did that would prove what? The testimony of the others that say it has been done is more than enough.

Let me ask you a question. Is standing inside the range of a lightning orb abusing it as a skill? Or is it using the skill smartly and optimally?

If you looked at my opinions in this thread in a very general way. The only thing I have said is that skills should not be able to be spammed. If mages were able to abuse ANY of their skills it may be a level playing field between the 3 classes.

Android has had a hacker issue, ask them how terrible it is to have a Mage putting up multiple lightning orbs at once. Imagine the tears from that! if the lightning orb was able to be put up even twice in a row there would be rioting.
  • FuryWeaselFuryWeasel Registered Users 80 Posts
    I've had warriors that would dash once if you got close, then just spam parry so much that you couldn't get a single hit without getting a shockwave back. A few of the warriors I fought do nothing at all but parry, to the point of using spots to replenish energy to parry more. Yes, a warrior can parry all the orbs shocks cause they spam the parry so much that they take no damage.
    Guild leader of Marauders
    FuryWeasel wrote: »
    Yes, a warrior can parry all the orbs shocks cause they spam the parry so much that they take no damage.
    I call buiishlt. Happened to me few times, but has way more to do with luck than spamming. We can't just push the button, it doesn't work like that.