Options

Android overheating...gets really hot to the touch

uwaveuwave Registered Users 4 Posts
i have xperia z1 running android 4.3. the game starts to get hot after one quest. the screen gets really hot and the heat makes it really hard to control. theres no other apps running in the background except what the os starts up. app has not crash yet. is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    UltraSceptileUltraSceptile Registered Users 1,969 Posts
    Same on my iPhone.
    UltraSceptile~Forums King.
  • Options
    rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    uwave wrote: »
    i have xperia z1 running android 4.3. the game starts to get hot after one quest. the screen gets really hot and the heat makes it really hard to control. theres no other apps running in the background except what the os starts up. app has not crash yet. is this normal?

They all get hot when doing lots of heavy graphics. Normal computer temp is up around 105-110F which feels hot to human touch. Is the heat you are feeling "normal" I have no idea. Perhaps the xperia normally runs hot. Perhaps it is flawed.
  • Options
    XephraimXephraim Registered Users 130 Posts
    same problem. The thing is that this started after the somewhere after the last or second last update.
    It worked fine until an update came out.

LG Optimus, no backgroud operations except android OS.
  • Options
    rewand wrote: »
    They all get hot when doing lots of heavy graphics. Normal computer temp is up around 105-110F which feels hot to human touch. Is the heat you are feeling "normal" I have no idea. Perhaps the xperia normally runs hot. Perhaps it is flawed.

i would say its not 'normal'. after like 5 minutes of play, the phone gets really hot to the touch. my left thumb has a slight burn sensation. i can understand if i play for a long time and the phone heats up but 5 minutes and thumb hurts from the heat.

also, i notice my phone discharges faster than it charges when playing. anyone else have that problem?
  • Options
    also the heat causes my hand to sweat like crazy, making harder to control at times.
  • Options
    JakeFJakeF Registered Users 62 Posts
    uwave wrote: »
    i would say its not 'normal'. after like 5 minutes of play, the phone gets really hot to the touch. my left thumb has a slight burn sensation. i can understand if i play for a long time and the phone heats up but 5 minutes and thumb hurts from the heat.

also, i notice my phone discharges faster than it charges when playing. anyone else have that problem?

I'm using the iphone 5 and that gets boiling hot after two minutes or three at most.

If by discharge you mean the battery runs out quicker than expected, then yes, it is because for some reason the devs decided this was an online-only game. Meaning every second the game is open it's connecting (or attempted to connect) to the internet. Without plugging the phone in to charge, a full battery will last less than half an hour playing this game. It is an issue I would appreciate being addressed by the Glu squad.
  • Options
    jaggujaggu Registered Users 149 Posts
    JakeF wrote: »
    I'm using the iphone 5 and that gets boiling hot after two minutes or three at most.

If by discharge you mean the battery runs out quicker than expected, then yes, it is because for some reason the devs decided this was an online-only game. Meaning every second the game is open it's connecting (or attempted to connect) to the internet. Without plugging the phone in to charge, a full battery will last less than half an hour playing this game. It is an issue I would appreciate being addressed by the Glu squad.

and still it takes up like 691 mb on the phone+sd card...not sure how it is online only :P
  • Options
    SirDiGiTaLSirDiGiTaL Registered Users 627 Posts
    jaggu wrote: »
    and still it takes up like 691 mb on the phone+sd card...not sure how it is online only :P

Ehmm.. with online only he doesn't mean the game itself is stored in the cloud. He is refering to how its now communicates with Glu servers much more often then in the older versions.

Dunno maybe your comment was a joke, I couldn´t really tell if it was sarcastic or not, even tho you had that last smiley :)

On topic, yeah my Iphone 5s is also getting pretty hot and drains battery fast, much faster then most other games. But not has as in I burn my fingers or anything but yeah... I Think its the same for everyone.
  • Options
    SirDiGiTaL wrote: »
    Ehmm.. with online only he doesn't mean the game itself is stored in the cloud. He is refering to how its now communicates with Glu servers much more often then in the older versions.

Dunno maybe your comment was a joke, I couldn´t really tell if it was sarcastic or not, even tho you had that last smiley :)

On topic, yeah my Iphone 5s is also getting pretty hot and drains battery fast, much faster then most other games. But not has as in I burn my fingers or anything but yeah... I Think its the same for everyone.

ya i know its not online only is my point...but they do this constant polling or update to cloud for the data that you generate to save it for us...something is off somewhere in this processing. seems like more network access pings or traffic is generated now which definitely will cause the heating of the device and also the sd card reads for data if you are on android.

try checking/ touching your sd card after exiting the game. it will be darn hot as well.

so it has to do with the amount of reads that are being done and amount of network updates being made.

They may want to implement some kind of caching and then do batch network update or something - but again there are pros and cons of all the approaches..

They may be doing it already but I am not a game developer so - yea - gaming in general will heat up the device but there may be a bug as it seems to have started doing it even more so now...
  • Options
    UltraSceptileUltraSceptile Registered Users 1,969 Posts
    Whenever I play a round of PvP with my 5s without it's case on (cuz I just love the sexy gold coloring), I almost drop the phone or quit the match because the **** phone just gets so hot.

When I have a case on, it's just uncomfortable.

As for why it's online all the time, I guess it's to avoid hacking. Cuz hacking would be so much easier if it wasn't online.
    UltraSceptile~Forums King.
  • Options
    harry potterharry potter Registered Users 741 Posts
    Solutions:

* play in an air conditioned room or when it Is cooler, like at night. The room temperature adds to the tablet/phone temperature a lot
    * wear gloves, preferably ones designed for a tablet/phone. Normal cotton gloves will work also if they are wet.
    * play on a tablet or play less.
    * remove any covering on the tablet/phone including back panel if you can
  • Options
    JakeFJakeF Registered Users 62 Posts
    Solutions:

* play in an air conditioned room or when it Is cooler, like at night. The room temperature adds to the tablet/phone temperature a lot
    * wear gloves, preferably ones designed for a tablet/phone. Normal cotton gloves will work also if they are wet.
    * play on a tablet or play less.
    * remove any covering on the tablet/phone including back panel if you can

Blasphemy!
  • Options
    we dont live in jungle buddy!!
    wet cotton gloves???!
    remove battery door on iphone??!! :D

you are funny!!
  • Options
    After I disable some Google functions that run in background, it runs 'cooler'. But it still heats up faster than all my other apps.