Options

Toss me a bone here!

RankavichRankavich Registered Users 51 Posts
SO, yet again mages are at such a disadvantage against monks.

I know all my posts are on this, I just can not get over the fact that it is still soooo unbalanced against monks.

If I am wrong, just terrible vs monks, please let me know.

I hold my own against warriors and other mages. Monks, if they are equally skilled, just rock me.

I save my ice blink for when they stun, try to use my lightning orb offensively, try to time their movement and account for any lag on my fire attack, always spitting orbs out in twos so I dont have the ridiculous animation from the third triple orb normal attack. I really do try to be as strategic as possible against them.

If I have to use Ice blink early I try and run away so they cant Roll/Stun.

GIVE ME A BONE HERE GLU!!!!

Tell me what I can do against a monk. PLEASE!
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    Just a thought. maybe the USELESS fire beam can become an anti monk seeking missile... One that has a roll piercing war head.
  • Options
    GLU,

Please give me a hint, SOMETHING.

Monks are able to roll out of ANYTHING I throw at them. CHANGE SOMETHING!
  • Options
    Mage vs Monk is NOT FUN!

How about I just lay down and let them shove there fists up my ****!?

Give me a tool to use against them....

PLEASE.

This isnt even fun anymore. My posts have now gone from helpful suggestions to just RAGE. It is sooo fricken dumb that mages are at such a disadvantage against monks.

HOW is this even seen as OK?
  • Options
    radshortyradshorty Registered Users 103 Posts
    everyone knows that the monk is overpowered too. anybody who denies that is a monk themselves. It is obvious when almost all of the top players are monks. they have the advantage over warriors and mages. two of their moves can stun (already overpowered), so they can use all the skills at once to obliterate you. the rage of vajra move shouldn't have a **** stun at the end, so a monk can't wreck the **** out of you. arena should be a little smaller too. slight tweaks like this would help, but not just these.
  • Options
    JohnBoy12JohnBoy12 Registered Users 129 Posts
    a smaller ring would be nice but at the same time the mage orbs can hit 360 degrees so it still needs to be big enough to escape the orb. my main character is mage but I have all three leveled to 50. my monk cant get a 44 weapon or godly gear yet so I don't use him much in pvp. if they keep monk the same they at least need to allow mage ice blink to freeze and keep them slowed even with their roll or dash from warrior. Mage laser is suppose to be her best skill but it barely hurts other characters assuming you can hit them. The warrior almost always gets an auto parry if you use it outside of their whirlwind. and all you can do is hope your skill is about to end so you can blink or you take at least double the damage you just dealt to him.

The Monk minimally needs a debuff on the roll, even if the time isn't changed it at least needs to keep slow or stun effects. like eruption barely ever stuns or knocks down but every vortex and rage of va raj connects. it is ridicuolous how fast a 12k monk can kill a 12k mage or warrior for that matter. I know mods cant do anything other than relay the message to devs so hopefully the continued complaints will prompt better adjustments then the 2 kill in a minute and a half.
  • Options
    revitrevit Registered Users 245 Posts
    a smaller ring would just mean a mage can damage half of the ring if placed a certain way, while still attacking from a distance under the umbrella.

Now that the mages blink has been moved to 5 seconds(i think) I can understand how frustrating it is. I agree with the slowed effect for freeze, they already have it implemented in the new kingdom and endless, I imagine next would be arena.

It's a pretty well known "fact" or w/e that the monk is hardest to get into the 12k gs range. I'm relieved that he's actually good for something lol. I've said the same thing as Jonhboy about mage's eruption, it should have some..or a better knock back effect.
  • Options
    ThinIceThinIce Registered Users 463 Posts
    Monk's freeze shouldn't apply in pvp, only in single player where they're quite underpowered.

Mage's blink skill shouldn't have been nerfed; monk's roll should have.

I'm not sure what the level of competency is in the people that run this game.
  • Options
    The vortex is already different from single player. It doesn't actually vortex people in and throw them up in the air like in campaign, so in that sense, it has been nerfed. Mages blink, probably shouldn't have been messed with...but it made them super hard to catch with a little bit of lag lol. 5 seconds is too long though.
  • Options
    ghostrikeghostrike Registered Users 24 Posts
    > I wonder why good mages never reply on this thread. Hmm,maybe to make them more at the advantage if they nerf monk?
    > There are mages that claims they have no problems on either monks or warriors even with higher GS than them. Maybe they are just skilled enough that they know to counter their opponent? Or they can adapt on their skills greater than the others?
    ** I have played pvp a lot on my mage too, its always like a wheel. I can kill higher GS and lower GS can also kill me( wherein based on my observation,there are truly great players out there
    > Freeze the monk when blinked and cannot roll= is just like waiting to get killed.
    > Imagine,1. Blink, make distance if in case monk rolls,leave a lightning orb if you presume he will.
    2. Blink, normal attack to interrupt his skill if he rolls towards you, then leave loghtning orbs.
    3. ETC...
    > Use a monk, then you will know how to counter them. Cause in my monk,i can kill higher GS and even lvl 52 and 51 players but lower GS also can kill me.
    > Too many factors to be considered.
    > or just bring back the 3 seconds cooldown?
  • Options
    PanZillaPanZilla Registered Users 49 Posts
    ghostrike wrote: »
    > I wonder why good mages never reply on this thread. Hmm,maybe to make them more at the advantage if they nerf monk?
    > There are mages that claims they have no problems on either monks or warriors even with higher GS than them. Maybe they are just skilled enough that they know to counter their opponent? Or they can adapt on their skills greater than the others?
    ** I have played pvp a lot on my mage too, its always like a wheel. I can kill higher GS and lower GS can also kill me( wherein based on my observation,there are truly great players out there
    > Freeze the monk when blinked and cannot roll= is just like waiting to get killed.
    > Imagine,1. Blink, make distance if in case monk rolls,leave a lightning orb if you presume he will.
    2. Blink, normal attack to interrupt his skill if he rolls towards you, then leave loghtning orbs.
    3. ETC...
    > Use a monk, then you will know how to counter them. Cause in my monk,i can kill higher GS and even lvl 52 and 51 players but lower GS also can kill me.
    > Too many factors to be considered.
    > or just bring back the 3 seconds cooldown?

Maybe u haven't play monks that only get close to spam skill then runs
  • Options
    > i play monk. Its my main character.
    > in my monk matches,i never ran for the whole 3 minutes. Its always kill or be killed for me.
    > i have not played my monk that there will be no kills on either both side. Either its me or the opponent.
    > have you played a monk? Cause i know the feeling on what i have posted above cause some good mages do that to me.

When i ran towards the mage,faked or go through,when the GOOD mage anticipates it, some use blink. As a monk, i will roll for sure cause i dont have any other defense but only to roll.Two way to roll,toward the mage or away from mage.
    **Good mages when they anticipate monks move, will make a distance, and the anticipated spot, GOOD MAGES will drop lightning orbs near it. Next, umbrella effect(kill time), Blink cooldown is replenished.
    ***One more thing, GOOD mages at times will use normal attack on the anticipated spot that you will land Monks roll to disrupt monks skill. then Put lightning orbs.

> BUT, if im lucky enough or more experienced than the MAGE, mage dies. So its vice versa isnt it.
    > Monk for sure experience this to GOOD MAGES and why they never complain? Cause they know its a two way street.
    If monk connects, WIN. IF MAGE is waaaaay clever than the monk. then Mage wins.
    > im 100% for sure you guys able to defeat higher GS monk. ONLY that, you will comment only the matches that you were defeated by a monk. But its your right to complain.
    > just stating my opinion here either.:)
  • Options
    BrutalBrutal Registered Users 251 Posts
    GOOD MAGES will drop lightning orbs near it.

'Good' mages can only drop one orb at a time... and also after an appropriate cooldown from the last orb. Unrelated, what's with all the angle brackets?
    Android IGN: Brutal1977
    Class: Warrior, 12591 GS
  • Options
    Brutal wrote: »
    'Good' mages can only drop one orb at a time... and also after an appropriate cooldown from the last orb. Unrelated, what's with all the angle brackets?

>Near it = the anticipated spot(depends on the mage perception) the monk will land his roll.
    > yes, one orb at a time.
    > lightning orb has 15 seconds cooldown right? blink now has 5 seconds cooldown right? Lightning orb last how many seconds? 8 seconds right? So 8 seconds enough to replenish blink cooldown right?
    > 8 seconds under protection of lightning orbs, 7 seconds to do something else for the next orb to be casted.
    >make use of the 7 seconds to exercise the mages leg. Run a bit.
    > maybe Mages wanted 12 seconds protection from the lightning orbs? then 3 seconds to wait for recast? So just stand, lightning orb, normal attack while standing, wait 3 seconds for the next orb or if there is danger,Blink,then cast lightning orbs again?Rinse?
  • Options
    It.s pretty much as ghost says. Probably why my fights with mages never even gets to two kills. Fights with mages are considerably less exciting (i might as well just run around for 2 min). Much rather deal with super dash and parry than sit there every 15 seconds waiting for orb to finish.
  • Options
    JonWayneJonWayne Registered Users 459 Posts

I'm not a good mage player, but it's rather pointless saying anything. Even though Glu repeatedly says that they care about the players and do listen to feedbacks, but facts proved otherwise. To Glu, any feedback given are simply classified as whining.

They "balance" the characters in PvP blindly base on kill/death ratio when the winner of the match is determined by kill + HP. They failed to realised that many players are abusing the lag and running most of the time in the Arena in order to win. If the winner of the match is determined purely by kills, then it makes sense to balance by kill/death ratio. meaning 1-1 or 2-2 kills result in a draw rather than having a winner with more HP. Otherwise this balancing is just a pure act of laziness. They do not consider level differences, GS differences, runes setup differences when doing the balancing. Just balance by a blind figure of kill/death ratio. Guess it's time for me to quit PvP also.
  • Options
    JohnBoy12JohnBoy12 Registered Users 129 Posts
    > in my monk matches,i never ran for the whole 3 minutes. Its always kill or be killed for me.
    > i have not played my monk that there will be no kills on either both side. Either its me or the opponent.
    > have you played a monk? Cause i know the feeling on what i have posted above cause some good mages do that to me.

When i ran towards the mage,faked or go through,when the GOOD mage anticipates it, some use blink. As a monk, i will roll for sure cause i dont have any other defense but only to roll.Two way to roll,toward the mage or away from mage.
    **Good mages when they anticipate monks move, will make a distance, and the anticipated spot, GOOD MAGES will drop lightning orbs near it. Next, umbrella effect(kill time), Blink cooldown is replenished.
    ***One more thing, GOOD mages at times will use normal attack on the anticipated spot that you will land Monks roll to disrupt monks skill. then Put lightning orbs.

> BUT, if im lucky enough or more experienced than the MAGE, mage dies. So its vice versa isnt it.
    > Monk for sure experience this to GOOD MAGES and why they never complain? Cause they know its a two way street.
    > im 100% for sure you guys able to defeat higher GS monk. ONLY that, you will comment only the matches that you were defeated by a monk. But its your right to complain.

Ok, I think I am decent with my mage but my biggest problems are these:
    1) torrent flame is useless against all three characters because the damage is too low seeing as how everytime i have tried to use it, the opponent blinks/auto parries/rolls and very little damge is done. only time it actually works is a warrior in a slowed whirlwind which does very little overall damage compared to rage of va raj or a low hp warrior in ww.

2) the orbs are almost ineffective with laggy runners. it is very frustrating to see them hit by close to 4 bolts and not appear to lose any health as you get stunned or knocked back.

3) eruption shows crit hit and not damage/knockdown/stun

4) auto blink- usually ends up dealing 0 damage with ice shards because it slows the enemies in their moves which usually provide a few seconds of invulnerability. even if they get hit, the slowed animation combined with lag results in no damage loss.

5) Mage has worst chance of a knock down or stun because of the blink but it is too easy for the other characters to escape it. the monks stun allows too much time to use the other skills. if you are lucky enouch to blink away from the vortex the monk usually just rolls to you and use rage.

I get so annoyed with trying to spam skills as I try to avoid attacks and use almost a full far of mana, only to have the opponent with close to full health. I like my mage though even with all these problems but the only way to win is without making a single mistake because it only take one good dash or a vortex/rage combo to devastate you.

I do play all three characters and am not just saying this because I only play mage. I just feel mage is at disadvantage most of the time.
  • Options
    ducvaderducvader Registered Users 204 Posts
    Fighting against monks is not that bad. Just keep moving and think like a monk with mage when playing against another monk. If you get the first hit then the opponent has no choice but to go after you or they will lose. Get good at dishing out the first hit no matter how big or small it may be then work with that. If they get the first hit then it'll be tough hitting them... part of that will be some sort of luck.

Ducvader1
  • Options
    ducvader wrote: »
    Fighting against monks is not that bad. Just keep moving and think like a monk with mage when playing against another monk. If you get the first hit then the opponent has no choice but to go after you or they will lose. Get good at dishing out the first hit no matter how big or small it may be then work with that. If they get the first hit then it'll be tough hitting them... part of that will be some sort of luck.

Ducvader1

lol sometimes I think mage is the best runner class =p if that first lighting crits you, good luck =\
  • Options
    DragulasDragulas Registered Users 8 Posts
    The no damage when running issue is why I quit playing pvp in the second season, too many monks (not all) hit once then just run for the remaining time. No fun at all
  • Options
    JohnBoy12 wrote: »
    Ok, I think I am decent with my mage but my biggest problems are these:
    1) torrent flame is useless against all three characters because the damage is too low seeing as how everytime i have tried to use it, the opponent blinks/auto parries/rolls and very little damge is done. only time it actually works is a warrior in a slowed whirlwind which does very little overall damage compared to rage of va raj or a low hp warrior in ww.

2) the orbs are almost ineffective with laggy runners. it is very frustrating to see them hit by close to 4 bolts and not appear to lose any health as you get stunned or knocked back.

3) eruption shows crit hit and not damage/knockdown/stun

4) auto blink- usually ends up dealing 0 damage with ice shards because it slows the enemies in their moves which usually provide a few seconds of invulnerability. even if they get hit, the slowed animation combined with lag results in no damage loss.

5) Mage has worst chance of a knock down or stun because of the blink but it is too easy for the other characters to escape it. the monks stun allows too much time to use the other skills. if you are lucky enouch to blink away from the vortex the monk usually just rolls to you and use rage.

I get so annoyed with trying to spam skills as I try to avoid attacks and use almost a full far of mana, only to have the opponent with close to full health. I like my mage though even with all these problems but the only way to win is without making a single mistake because it only take one good dash or a vortex/rage combo to devastate you.

I do play all three characters and am not just saying this because I only play mage. I just feel mage is at disadvantage most of the time.

>Gluu should fix LAG and TECHNICAL issues causing these problems.
    > mage is probably designed not to have knockback or stun?Im imagining if they have it,what would probably happen?
    I imagine if warrior or monk dont have stun? i wonder what would happen?
  • Options

What is your definition of a GOOD mage? One that doesnt post here? The mages that are top in pvp? Which ones are those?

Maybe the good players have enough time to level all 3 characters and play the flavor of the tourny?

Maybe there is a reason you dont see monk complaint threads about mage fights?

Monks will rock a mage without trying, no anticipating required. Its a matter of use roll and then use skill, mage uses blink and slows you then you roll out. A mage places a lightning orb, you run out of its range and roll out of any other attacks during that time.

Where is the skill there?

You say that a GOOD mage will some how anticipate a monks roll and then use all of their abilities to attack in the short CD of 1.5 seconds on roll. How is this something you think will work?

A mage that has managed to get the better of you must have taken advantage of lag that you had if he managed to take advantage of you. Or the mage got super lucky and got lightning orb strikes that crit and HIT.

I am not claiming to be the best at playing pvp as a mage. There is something to be said about fights that are so one sided ALL the time. Maybe only noobs play warriors and mages. Maybe the only class I consistently have issue with, monks, are played by super good player.... I doubt it.

I can beat warriors and I can beat mages. I can only beat monks that are terrible. Monks that have any idea how to play will auto win. Specially against a mage.

Stats talk. Top PVP ranks show Monks>Warriors>>>>Mage.

Maybe not enough GOOD mages are out there...

Just stating my opinion here....
  • Options
    SirDiGiTaLSirDiGiTaL Registered Users 627 Posts
    This is my perspective on IOS side:

I would consider myself one of the "good" mages. I know I use all skills pretty much as effective as possible, I am well geared 12900gs, all perfect runes and with almost 15% PvP. Have great ISP with very low ping so I play most of my fights lag free. So pretty much top 20-40 on the tournaments so far without using energy so only with the free runs.

Fact 1. Of all my fights on top 100 almost 70% is vs Monks, 25% vs Warriors, 5% vs Mage.
    Fact 2. Even monks with what I consider low gs ~11k and no PvP gear are up there on the top.
    Fact 3. Even if you outskill the monk and take advantage of all his mistakes we only do small damage here and there during the few animation frames where a monk is actually hittable and if you are lucky you keep that roll throughout the entire fight and manage to get a win. But if you yourself do just one smallest mistake you are pretty much ****ed right away.
    Fact 4. The few fights vs Monks that I win is really just the Monks that don´t know what they are doing. Any monk that isn´t in that category will easily win vs you even with around 11k gs and no PvP gear.

Skill changes should in my opinion be:
    Change 1. Monks roll should get a longer cd, maybe 4s.
    Change 2. Monks do waay to much damage with their skills, should be lowered to around 70% of what they do today.
    Change 3. Mage should be able to use the teleport skill to get out of a stun the same way a Monk can roll out of a freeze. This would also make mages not teleport around that much which many complain about since a skillful mage would save teleport until stunned.
    IMO an equally geared and skilled Mage vs Warrior is pretty much well balanced and the most fun fights I have. Loose some and win some vs the best warriors.
  • Options
    1.Mages can beat warrior and monk(terrible monk only?). Wherein some mages have no problem killing both.
    2. Warrior can beat monk and mage( terrible mage only?). Wherein some cases have no problem on killing both.
    3. Monk can beat mages and warrior(terrible warrior only?) Wherein some cases have no problem on killing both.
    ** Dont tell me your mage cant kill both classes?
    Dont tell me your warrior cant kill both classess?
    Dont tell me your monk can kill both classess?
    > maybe everyone wanted to be able to kill other classes with ease?
    GOOD mages? i have already explained who are they. Im not a good mage myself but in my experience. I am able to kill
    both classes higher GS than me.Way higher GS like i beat 1.5GS monk higher than me. Dont tell me all of them are not skilled? Skilled or not skilled. Dont tell me GLUU can detect who are skilled or not? Are the Skilled ONE's only the one that beats you? LOL. just an opinion.
    > Just be HONEST.. every class can beat other class.

PS.
    mage and warrior have auto parry or auo blink wherein in some cases save them. Plus the active skill of parry and blink. Monk have roll, ROLL only? Imagine if they get freeze for 4 seconds?
  • Options
    pxyche22pxyche22 Registered Users 124 Posts
    1.Mages can beat warrior and monk(terrible monk only?). Wherein some mages have no problem killing both.
    2. Warrior can beat monk and mage( terrible mage only?). Wherein some cases have no problem on killing both.
    3. Monk can beat mages and warrior(terrible warrior only?) Wherein some cases have no problem on killing both.
    ** Dont tell me your mage cant kill both classes?
    Dont tell me your warrior cant kill both classess?
    Dont tell me your monk can kill both classess?
    > maybe everyone wanted to be able to kill other classes with ease?
    GOOD mages? i have already explained who are they. Im not a good mage myself but in my experience. I am able to kill
    both classes higher GS than me.Way higher GS like i beat 1.5GS monk higher than me. Dont tell me all of them are not skilled? Skilled or not skilled. Dont tell me GLUU can detect who are skilled or not? Are the Skilled ONE's only the one that beats you? LOL. just an opinion.
    > Just be HONEST.. every class can beat other class.

PS.
    mage and warrior have auto parry or auo blink wherein in some cases save them. Plus the active skill of parry and blink. Monk have roll, ROLL only? Imagine if they get freeze for 4 seconds?

U really dont get the point here. Yes , any class can beat any class in the game, that's not an argument, it's a fact. The point is, out of the top 100 or so pvp'iers, mage is the minority of the 3 , and you barely see one in the top 20 (in iOS). Ypu know why ? (Drum roll) wait for it ... Because mages get owned most of the time in pvp, yes with a little luck a high ranked mage can beat a high ranked monk , but the case is out of 10 times , that mage can beat that monk only once or twice , get it ? that's how unbalance works , tell me im wrong.
  • Options
    pxyche22 wrote: »
    U really dont get the point here. Yes , any class can beat any class in the game, that's not an argument, it's a fact.

1. you have answered it!;-)
    2. Top 100? How many play mage? how many play monk? how many play warrior? Did those guys consistently use monk all the way? Evidence?
    3. Did you know that in some cases, i can consistently kill higher GS monks and warrior using a mage? I get more AP using a mage.
    4. Maybe try using a monk too? and see if you can consistently do what those monks do to other mages.
    just an opinion.
  • Options
    2. Top 100? How many play mage? how many play monk? how many play warrior? Did those guys consistently use monk all the way? Evidence?
    3. Did you know that in some cases, i can consistently kill higher GS monks and warrior using a mage? I get more AP using a mage.
    4. Maybe try using a monk too? and see if you can consistently do what those monks do to other mages.
    just an opinion.

U mean this monk ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125612804@N02/14511252362/

coz it's doing better than this mage which was top 20 when pvp first came out , but now? meh , nevermind

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125612804@N02/14489258136/

She's still my favorite though ... y not check out my warrior too ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125612804@N02/14325770089/

Bottomline is , i use all 3 , and monk is the most dominant in pvp...
  • Options
    JonWayneJonWayne Registered Users 459 Posts
    just an opinion.

1) Are you on iOS or Android?

2) What is your Mage level & GS?

3) Your mage gets more AP than your monk probably because your monk is running most of the time.
  • Options
    Its5pmIts5pm Banned Users 112 Posts
    Trade the dodge for ice blink, and lets see what happen lol
  • Options
    SirDiGiTaLSirDiGiTaL Registered Users 627 Posts
    Yeah it´s very obvious this dude is not very high up gs or ladder vise. Ghostrike no offence but the people you are trying to give your lecture to all have 3 maxed level 50 characters. We are not saying what we are saying because we do´t know how to play a certain class. PvP is unbalanced, in monks favour nomatter how you look at it and we just want it to be as balanced as possible. Else it will end up beeing only Monks running around in PvP, which would be hella boring.
  • Options
    SirDiGiTaL wrote: »
    Yeah it´s very obvious this dude is not very high up gs or ladder vise. Ghostrike no offence but the people you are trying to give your lecture to all have 3 maxed level 50 characters. We are not saying what we are saying because we do´t know how to play a certain class. PvP is unbalanced, in monks favour nomatter how you look at it and we just want it to be as balanced as possible. Else it will end up beeing only Monks running around in PvP, which would be hella boring.

Haha, true... and i know some of my friends who have all 3 maxed out who have given up on their favorite mage in favor of their monks. Im now considering that idea, too. Good thing you sirdigital and jon are still very patient with ur mage, being 2 of the best mages in the game, i give my hats down to you.