Options

No Dueling after Thursdays?!?

These last few weeks, by early Friday afternoon I've found myself within 30 points of making Sous Chef. Earning 30 pts in 2 days seems easily achievable, right (esp if all duels are won, lol)?

But I haven't been able to crack that ceiling because so few people duel me back after Thursday! Few enough players complete duels at all at ANY time, which I find frustrating (I seem to get about only 10-20% return on the duels which I initiate; the rest are forfeited). But, before reset on Sunday, I'll have a queue of more than 20 duels waiting to be completed! I'll admit that when I HAVE reached Sous Chef level by Saturday, I'll stop actively dueling so I don't lose the rank (although I never forfeit a game). I understand why people do that so, of course, duels slow on Saturdays. Buta grinding to a virtual halt Thursday night through Sunday's reset? That's SO not fun!!

I'm wondering if maybe there should be an Opt Out of Duets option in game settings... Perhaps this issue is due to there being only a tiny percentage of players who actually DO duel. Maybe that's the primary explanation for all of the forfeited games?

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are all of you finding enough competitors for duels you initiate? Do enough people initiate duels with you? How many duels do you play each week? How many forfeited games are you encountering daily/weekly?

- SuFe718

Comments

• Options
    jt4703jt4703 Registered Users 40 Posts
    I let duels forfeit all the time when I've been challenged by someone in a venue where I have very few upgrades and the other person is maxed. I've battled higher ranked players and won but I get 6 or 7 pts which is pathetic since I get 3 from a forfeit. Yesterday I lost to someone ranked at least 50 pts over me and I lost 15 or more points. I should gain more points for winning matches against higher ranked players and lose less if I lose. Same with less ranked... I should gain less on a win and lose more if I lose against them. I've stopped initializing duels too since every single time it wants to put me in the chef arena even though I haven't played in it for at least 2 weeks. I am never going to spend gold on that restaurant and I wish I could close it since it hijacks my daily goals and quick duels. I rely mostly on other players dueling me however I do have a couple of players in my history list who never seem to play so I can use them as fodder when I need to play 4 chef duels for the daily goal. Quick duels need to pair players better based on the upgrades in the same restaurant so you DON'T get 10% upgrades vs someone with 90% upgrades. There is no way the 10% upgraded person could win even using 3 powerups: Appliances speed will be too slow, customers will come too slowly and the food cost will be too cheap to even come close.
  • Options
    SupremeFettucineSupremeFettucine Registered Users 443 Posts
    Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for answering and explaining your perspective, jt.

I have every venue except Street Food at least 80% upgraded so, thanks to your reply, I'm now realizing all/most of these forfeits are intentional. Simply a case of players who don't want to duel me. That's really a bummer! It means the only ones who WILL duel me significantly outrank my level and stats.

I don't want all my wins to be from forfeits and the majority of my actual duels to be losses but looks like that's what will continue to happen (until Glu changes scoring system). Again, that's very not fun! Neither is the rarity of initiated duels.

I'm too competitive to let a duel forfeit, even tho I can, and sometimes DO, lose a big bucketful of points (yesterday I lost 21 pts in one duel -- ouch)! Still, I duel to play, not to incrementally win 3-4 points by default. But maybe I should be more strategic than fun-indulgent, lol.

Glu really should adjust the scoring system for fairness and logic. Wins should be more rewarding (at the very least, more on par with drastic losses); and I think maybe spread should be rewarded as a bonus (say, if over 500 or 1000 points). I'm sure more players would actually duel, rather than intentionally forfeiting, if the payoff were as beneficial as the penalty is damaging!

To your other point though, I can say that during the past few days I have lost duels to several players with far fewer upgrades (but not the Zero upgrade glitch that's been reported) than me, who used 3 boosts (to my 2), and were far more experienced players, having played nearly twice the amount of duels I have so far. So that does happen. One just always must play full-on because stats aren't an accurate indicator. There's another thread discussing this.

Finally, my last gripe about the P2P dueling area is that my Duel List displays months-old challenges, from back when I first began playing, not recent encounters. So I'm unable to replay someone to whom I've recently lost in order to try for victory, which I enjoyed doing when my list was fresh! I don't think that is how the Duel List is supposed to work -- do all of you have only 22 of your first-ever duels in your Duel List or do your lists updates with the most recent wins and losses? If not, I'll submit a ticket to support.

- SuFe718
  • Options
    dcesq06dcesq06 Registered Users 29 Posts
    In my opinion, the chef duels are BADLY flawed in multiple aspects.

1) As has been noted, there is no congruity with scoring. As such, there is no incentive for a highly ranked person to play a lower ranked person. I don't want to risk losing 20 points for the possible reward of gaining 2 or 3 points. (And then if I lose 20 points, chances are I'll have to make those points up 3 at a time by people forfeiting!)

2) As has also been noted, there is little incentive to use boosts to "run up the score" because there doesn't appear to be a correlation between victory margin and points awarded.

3) There is absolutely no guidance with respect to the manner in which points AND tickets are awarded. While I assume that the points are by virtue of a "secret" formula, the issuance of tickets appears to be random (with the exception of a grey ticket for participating).

4) There is no incentive to avoid forfeiting. I may lose 3 points by forfeiting a match, but I'll easily gain those points back in matches in which my opponent forfeits. Also, a loss by forfeiture does not count as a "loss" on your record. If forfeit losses were reflected in records, then that may be an incentive (to some) to duel instead of bypassing a match.

5) The matching system is screwed up in many respects. I am seldom matched against someone who is of the same level as me in terms of points and has similar skills to me for a given venue.

6) Why aren't coins awarded for participating in chef duels? Doesn't seem fair.

7) Not a flaw, but a suggestion: In addition to the one-on-one duels, there should be periodic tournaments to see who is the best at a particular venue. For instance, there could be a tournament for every 24 period for one venue and the top 10 or 20 with the highest score for that venue in that tournament receive points/tickets (based on how high they have finished)

As the OP said, I love the Chef Duels, but I find that there is little incentive to truly duel as often as I would like to duel. Because it is so hard to move up the weekly points ladder (given the disparity between points awarded/deducted for winning/losing), I tend to forfeit about 50% of the matches.