Stop a specific player from challenging me?

saffyrsaffyr Registered Users 26 Posts
Hi everyone!

Another player seems to have developed a “taste” for battling me in Chef Duels. As she’s stronger/more powerful in a number of venues, she’s able to beat me every time. She was a “contact” and I thought disconnecting her would stop that, but she’s challenging me to 2 duels at a time, so if I ignore them, I get penalized and it counts as a loss and if I play her, well, I lose and that certainly counts as a loss. I just logged in and saw 2 more challenges from her. I found her profile and don’t see a way to block her, only friend her. Any idea on how I can stop her from challenging me in Chef Duels? It’s kinda ruining that whole experience for me. 

Thanks,

Saffyr

Comments

• LadyinDenimLadyinDenim Registered Users 93 Posts
    You are you going to lose either way, so just forfeit.  You will only lose three points, and she will lose her boosts. Also, she will gain only 3 points and no tickets.  She will get tired of it and move on.
  • saffyrsaffyr Registered Users 26 Posts
    That is amazing advice, thank you! Are there any places in particular where I could go to learn stellar nuggets of wisdom like that? I’m big into math and logic and would love to know more about (and improve my) gameplay with a broad spectrum of info. 

:) 
    I learned a lot from reading this forum.  The old timers are really helpful.  There is a Fan Wiki and a Reddit, too.  The older threads from this forum is where I have found the best stuff.
    Thanks... again! I’ll be exploring....

o:) 
  • SupremeFettucineSupremeFettucine Registered Users 443 Posts
    edited November 2017
    Also, in case it wasn't clear from LiD's answer, forfeits do NOT count as a loss in your stats! They do not affect your stats at all. 

So forfeit any and all the duels you wish. Losing "only" 3 pts is far better than taking a potentially much larger point hit for a lost duel AND having the loss show up in your stats. 

EDIT: Furthermore, when you forfeit, you drop off that opponent's list of completed duels. So unless you are friends in the social hub or show up in their list of 20 rivals (which you shouldn't if you're unequally matched in rank, as you wrote that you were), they'd only be able to initiate new duels with you if you are randomly matched through Quick Duels in the future. Completing a duel keeps you available to that person, to all of your opponents regardless of win/loss result, for a period of time (not a fixed timeframe, it depends on how much they duel) whereas forfeitures never get logged on one's recent duels list. 

- SuFe718
    edited November 2017
    Wow, thanks for that. Really helpful! She just challenged me to another Chef Duel, so that’s 2 hanging there in the last few hours. She was my friend/contact, but once she started occupying all my Duels, I removed her maybe a few days ago. But now that I also won’t accept any of her Duels, it should be a short matter of time before she’s unable to try and engage me in a Duel. 

While we’re on the topic, is there a difference between a Quick Duel and selecting Play with a random opponent?

thanks!!!   o:)
    Nope. Clicking green Quick Duel button is how you make it happen, while "Play Against a Random Opponent" is just the description of what will happen if you click the green button, lol.

Quick Duel selects randomly from dueling players worldwide, including those from your Friends list. Since it often seems to offer the same opponents over and over again, iif you decline suggested opponents, during a short time span, and then others at other times, I suspect the game tries to select from currently/recently online active duelers (it also seems to repeatedly suggest frequent opponents too). But that's only my working theory... ?

What I haven't tested yet is if clicking Quick Duel in the Rivals tab selects opponents only from that list of rivals or if it's exactly the same as clicking Quick Duel from the main duel screen.

Good luck!

- SuFe718
    edited November 2017
    More stellar info, thanks! LOL @ myself for thinking “play against a random opponent” was a different button, as a simple click would have resolved that. Now off to play with all this new knowledge. Thanks again!
    I did finally test the different Quick Duels -- using it from Rivals tab selects only from that list whereas using it from the main duel page selects from entire global pool of duelers. ?

- SuFe718
    Thanks for checking that!
    Well, however this player is finding me (I removed her from friends over the weekend), she's still challenging me 2x per day. And she got smart about it, stopped using her boosts. Maybe she has me confused with brushing her teeth? Or maybe, she's one of you... *looks around with a raised eyebrow of suspicion*
    Not me, lol! Unfortunately, I think it'll take longer than that for you to fall off of her completed duels list, providing that you keep forfeiting. Have you checked your Rivals tab to ensure that person doesn't appear there (it reloads with different players each time you open it so you'll need to monitor it) because if you're available to each other there, she can continue to challenge you. 

Losses get replaced before wins on the completed duels list so it generally takes up to a week or so people for who win a lot to get an entirely new log of completed duels. For players who don't duel a lot, it will take longer, I'm sorry to say. ?

The list doesn't clear at Sunday's reset but that event MAY trigger a different system of more quickly replacing duels with new ones than during an ongoing week. It just occurred to me that such a thing may happen based on recollections of my own list's behavior... I'll have to pay more attention, lol! 

You are not alone though. It happens to most of us who duel -- there are always people who will duel lower level players to climb small increments (even 3 pts from a forfeit) by challenging that same person multiple times a day. For a long time the game didn't even impose a limit on the number of challenges -- sometimes there were 6 challenges from the same person at a time! I'll send you a pm about it. ?

So try not to take it too personally. As I wrote, it happens to all of us who duel. Being paired with higher level players is actually one of the best ways become better at dueling, since it's rather different from playing regular episodes. Another reason for dueling the same person immediately can be feeling one didn't do well the first time thus hoping for redemption (and a win/loss split). Also, it's quite common for one of the players to begin new a challenge after completing a duel, to give the loser an opportunity to win (without any rude intent).

- SuFe718
  • AmyYepAmyYep Registered Users 60 Posts
    Saffyr check your messages dear!❤️
    Sorry for the delay... crazy weekend.  :o:o:o
  • xaneriaxaneria Registered Users 3 Posts
    edited February 2018
    omg thank you for this thread. facing the same problem now where this person just keeps on dueling me in BBB (wasn’t on my friend list though and my BBB isn’t fully upgraded cuz i don’t want to waste gold upgrading after getting 5*s in all episodes). his score this week is 10-0-0 so i bet he’s doing it to other ppl as well. gonna just let the duels forfeit from
    now on and let him waste his boosts. 

edit: is there any way for developers to add a block function for these kinda ppl that are ruining the chef duels experience for others just so that they can climb the ladder? =\
    xaneria said:

omg thank you for this thread. facing the same problem now where this person just keeps on dueling me in BBB (wasn’t on my friend list though and my BBB isn’t fully upgraded cuz i don’t want to waste gold upgrading after getting 5*s in all episodes). his score this week is 10-0-0 so i bet he’s doing it to other ppl as well. gonna just let the duels forfeit from
    now on and let him waste his boosts. 

edit: is there any way for developers to add a block function for these kinda ppl that are ruining the chef duels experience for others just so that they can climb the ladder? =\

It can be annoying to get hit repeatedly by the same players. I doubt they'll add a Block function (but who knows) although as mentioned above, they did finally decrease challenge limits to 2 from 5.

As annoying as it can seem, sometimes it's best not to take it too personally -- hone your own dueling skills and accept/challenge players you feel more comfortable with to compensate. Forfeiting IS always the best plan if you don't wish to duel a particular player (for any number of reasons, even just to minimize your own loss stats).

I just wanted to point out that if you DO like dueling in general, you may wish to reconsider your stance on upgrading things after fully 5-starring venue. To duel successfully you really do need to upgrade certain items fully -- definitely not everything but usually 100% food , 100% on any equipment which adds coins (and I recommend also upgrading things to increase speed as much as you can), and 100% on the two decors for min/max tips (no other decor upgrades carry over into duels anyway so there's no benefit to upgrading those beyond what you need to 5-star episode)! Even though you don't get to KEEP the coins you make while dueling, the coins you swipe up help determine your score so if you want to compete with a full arsenal, those upgrades are necessary.

Good luck!

- SuFe718
  • KlaskKlask Registered Users 6 Posts
    I'm having the same problem with someone too. I'm not a bad dueller but when the challenger has amassed 2,479 points in the duel, how are you supposed to beat that score? Is it even possible to score that high?
  • palimpsetpalimpset Registered Users 28 Posts
    @klask it’s possible. It just requires a ton of practice, maximum upgrades and using fast feet, rush hour and cheers.
  • KlaskKlask Registered Users 6 Posts
    @palimpset Thank you. How do you forfeit? Jsut click no when it asks you if you want to accept the challenge? Can you block the player? He keeps challenging me twice everyday and I lose duel points.
    edited March 2018
    @Klask -- To forfeit, do nothing. After 24hrs the duel will immediately forfeit, you'll lose 3 points and challenger will gain 3 points (plus a duel token). Forfeits do not count against either player's win/loss ratio. 

Scores depend on the venue -- top players can score over 3k in a few restaurants! Usually Cheers is a good 3rd boost but, in some venues, Tasting Spoon or Extra Time can serve just as well if not better (particularly if not a lot of drinks are ordered). Totally a matter of opinion...and the meal pattern of any given duel (but you won't know THAT until you're already playing, lol). 

EDIT: There is no Block function. See my post upthread for more info/suggestions. Good luck!

- SuFe718
  • tdi411tdi411 Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    It’s idiotic. That’s why Gerry Romain, who’s level 69, challenges lower level players like myself(level 21) EVERY DAY! Play forfeit I still lose points. A lot or a little this ass is a bully. I get it, it’s a game. But he’s found a legal cheat.
  • She1tieShe1tie Registered Users, Member 28 Posts
    My post seemed to disappear, so I’ll ask my questionn again, in hopes someone knows the answer: I am constantly challenged by one particular player. However, I cannot challenge him back. On both my Duel List and my Rivals List, his avatar has no function I can click to challenge him to a match or rechallenge him after we duel. In some cases, there’s a blank space, where the function is missing entirely. In other cases, there’s an hour glass icon, which gives the message, “This player is busy in other duels.” I’ve never seen this occur with any other player. Has anyone ever seen this? Thanks.
    edited July 2018
    @She1tie - check your pm inbox. 😊

The short answer is a certain amount of queued duels seems to trigger that unavailability. I'm not sure what the number is but I've encountered it myself, particularly during special duel events. 

I'd still recommend forfeiting though, if you don't want an ongoing dueling relationship with this player, because that takes your name off their duel list. Only win/loss results post to that list, forfeits do not. It should be more difficult for that player to find you for daily challenges once you're no longer on their personal leader board.

- SuFe718