Top Favorite Robots/Mecha/Cyborgs

dilg2012dilg2012 Registered Users 358 Posts
Hi guys. We have a discussion on super heroes then another on games ... now let me open another topic. Robots/Mecha/Cyborgs. Big or small. Fantastic or realistic. Sentient or with pilots. They are scattered all over various media - comics, anime, super hero (sentai), movies etc.

Here are my favorite robots/mecha (not in order of favorites). Feel free to share yours.

1. Gaogaigar - One of the recent mecha series made by Sunrise and is the very last yusha (hero) robot series. From the same company that introduced the Transformer toys - Takara. One of the villians of this series looks very similar to one of the G Force/Gatchaman characters. Check this site for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaogaigar

2. Voltron/Golion - Ah, one of the best five combining unit robots. Form feet and legs. Form arms and torso. And I'll form the head.

3. Jetman Robot - The ultimate fighting unit of the superhero team, Jetman. One of the classic super hero series. The anime Gatchaman or G Force is a tribute to this series.

4. Robocop - Murphy was a good cop who went down (very brutally) and was transformed into the futuristic cyborb, Robocop. I love his gun and distinct walking movements.

5. Voltes V - Another classic five unit forming robot with the classic formula of Earth being invaded by aliens and they come up with a highly advanced robot to combat these invaders.

There are many other robots out there and my list doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg. C'mon. Share what robots/mecha/cyborgs or anything similar you know or enjoyed.
The Wolf Pack are my friends, like all others whom I have the pleasure to know. You have my respect because you deserve it - the same way I expect this respect from you as well.

Comments

• GlamazonGlamazon Registered Users 498 Posts
    I'm going with Android. My favorite is Data from Star Trek TNG. Definitely my favorite. Ironically, he exposed the frailties and strengths of humanity while turning AI into a relevant ethical question through a pop culture television show.

The whole series of replicants from Blade Runner would be my next choice, but also because of the whole story and world built around them.

Also amongst my favorites is Gigolo Joe from AI who was so well done by Jude Law. He was a shining light in an otherwise insipid embarrassment of techy movie fluff.

And finally, does Edward Scissorhands count? Technically, he is a technologically-enhanced human, making him the definition of a cyborg. But maybe that's a larger philosophical question...?
  • dilg2012dilg2012 Registered Users 358 Posts
    Glamazon wrote: »
    I'm going with Android. My favorite is Data from Star Trek TNG. Definitely my favorite. Ironically, he exposed the frailties and strengths of humanity while turning AI into a relevant ethical question through a pop culture television show.

The whole series of replicants from Blade Runner would be my next choice, but also because of the whole story and world built around them.

Also amongst my favorites is Gigolo Joe from AI who was so well done by Jude Law. He was a shining light in an otherwise insipid embarrassment of techy movie fluff.

And finally, does Edward Scissorhands count? Technically, he is a technologically-enhanced human, making him the definition of a cyborg. But maybe that's a larger philosophical question...?

Well if generalize modified humans/organisms, then yes Robocop and Edward Scissorhands as well as Frankenstien would make the cut.

Ah, glam, you just had to mention Data. Just when i just recently watched Star Trek: Nemisis. Him singing "Blue skies, nothing but blue skies ..."

Nice choices man. Cheers.
    The Wolf Pack are my friends, like all others whom I have the pleasure to know. You have my respect because you deserve it - the same way I expect this respect from you as well.
  • shannyshanny Registered Users 440 Posts
    Edward Scissorhands is a great one. I really liked him. How about the robot form Lost in Space? "Danger Will Robinson".... Yes, I know I'm showing my age here, but I like those old shows. I'd have to also go with Robocop and the Terminator and his nemesis (the higher grade terminator that was made of the liquid steel). That's quite a mish mash of robots from all eras, but all goodies!!!
    A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. :cool:
  • TurpinTurpin Registered Users 240 Posts
    Okay here's 1 from the blast from the past....

The Six Million Dollar Man,,,,Steve Austin He had robotic arm, legs and eye.
    One of the hardest lessons to learn Are the ones that hurt the most..
    Turpin wrote: »

Now that is one I haven't heard in a while. I guess he is the original "Full Metal Alchemist" without the alchemy that is.
    shanny wrote: »
    Edward Scissorhands is a great one. I really liked him. How about the robot form Lost in Space? "Danger Will Robinson".... Yes, I know I'm showing my age here, but I like those old shows. I'd have to also go with Robocop and the Terminator and his nemesis (the higher grade terminator that was made of the liquid steel). That's quite a mish mash of robots from all eras, but all goodies!!!

Now you guys are giving me an idea of what dvds to watch during my break. Either I go "fantasy" or "mecha/robot/cyborg" marathon.

1. Trigun the Movie
    2. Robocop
    3. Edward Scissorhands
    4. Star Trek: Nemesis
    5. Full Metal Alchemist Movie 2
  • GlamazonGlamazon Registered Users 498 Posts

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.
    You know, Ash from the movie "Army of Darkness" would also fit the catergory of the 6 Million $ Man and Edward Scissorhands. Although the only modification he has in his body is that robotic arm/chainsaw.
  • Darthplague99Darthplague99 Registered Users 81 Posts
    My top robots are in no order
    Data - Star Trek
    R2D2-3CPO - Star wars
    Robocop- My home town..lol. for real
    Voltron
    Darth Vader he was a quadruple amputate
    and on a ventilator
    Optimis Prime - Transformers
    In love with the darkside I fell
    Dabbling all the way down
    Jestered the devil with my song
    And got what I wanted all along
  • Rocky TopRocky Top Registered Users 127 Posts
    Make him faster, stronger, better. He fought bigfoot and the fembots. Lol..
    They say the most pain a person will endure is being born. I personally don't remember being born, must have been during one of my blackouts.
  • TurpinTurpin Registered Users 240 Posts
    Rocky Top wrote: »
    Make him faster, stronger, better. He fought bigfoot and the fembots. Lol..

Then they gave him a 6 million dollar woman.

I did like that episode When he fought Bigfoot.....
    One of the hardest lessons to learn Are the ones that hurt the most..
    Then they gave him a 6 million dollar woman.

I did like that episode When he fought Bigfoot.....

That was back in the 70's. Remember maxamillion the dog. Lol. Wonder what he would cost today? The 60 million dollar man plus tax. Lol..
    They say the most pain a person will endure is being born. I personally don't remember being born, must have been during one of my blackouts.
  • spd3xspd3x Registered Users 5 Posts
    Major Motoko from Ghost in the Shell. Then Priss from Blade Runner.
    spd3x wrote: »

Hey spd. Blade Runner. Lol. Was that the movie where that dude like them fried taters .? Lol..
    spd3x wrote: »

Hmm. I know of a character named Priss, but she is a human wearing power armor. From the anime, bubblegum crisis.