My Mantis Loadout

MantaRayMantaRay Registered Users 136 Posts
I posted this in the forum for my clan, but I thought I would post it here to share with all and see if more activity can't be generated on this forum. I remain hopeful that a lot of activity on here will help show Glu that there is heavy interest in the game and people are willing to purchase extras on Indestructible if a significant update to the game is released.
For the most part, I use all 11 vehicles equally (except during my clan matches). There are some that are more fun to use (Shooter and Retro) and others that I hate using (Thermodon and Punisher). But in my continuing quest to discover and utlize the best loadouts, I thought I would share my current Mantis loadout and ask if others have a loadout that they think is better and why they think that.

This may have been done previously and/or in other places, but I couldn't find it and, in any event, I thought now might be a good time to revisit. So, here is my current Mantis loadout:

- T4 missiles
- T4 capacitor
- T4 window
- T4 wrench
- T4 melee
- incendiary rockets
Now for my explanation of my Mantis loadout . . .

The Mantis is fast enough compared to other vehicles, so I didn't think I needed even more speed. At 425.5 damage, each missile packs a whallop and even moreso when getting a power-up. With the Mantis speed, you should have an advantage in securing the power-ups that will give your missile a deadly 851 damage per missile.

The armor is where I thought the most improvement was necessary. The T4 window gives you enough armor to work with and the wrench will give you needed repair - you can use the Mantis speed to get away and buy you some precious seconds for repair if you need it. I chose incendiary rockets as my consumable because, once again, your speed will buy you some time to get away while your opponent chokes on the flames of your last 425 damage (or possibly 851 damage) rocket hit.

Let me hear what you think.
MantaRay [S&A Co.™]

Comments

• MikeMike Registered Users 460 Posts
    Manta, I could not agree with you more. Some may argue that more speed is necessary but I agree that the Mantis is fast already and doesn't need it especially if you can maneuver well. With that said, I use the same load out as you for my Mantis. You forgot to mention the Mantis' passive ability which increases it explosive power by 15% at TOP SPEED. Therefore, those T4 INCENDIARY missles you were speaking about with a damage of 425 damage suddenly turn into lethal missles with a damage output of about 488 each plus burn. Then if you can get the double damage it makes each missle have a damage output of 977 and as they say...lights out for anyone who feels it wrath. The Mantis was built for T4 missles and using it for a hit and run, NOT for lasers or machine gun, so anyone currently using a Mantis now without rockets, is in my opinion, not harnessing the full potential of the Mantis. I agree the T4 wrench is perfect for repairing while on the run and the T4 window gives you enough extra armor to hang around while the going gets tough.
    FRENZY [S&A Co.™]
    SHOCK & AWE COMPANY CLAN MASTER
  • RudyBanRudyBan Registered Users 234 Posts
    MantaRay wrote: »
    I posted this in the forum for my clan, but I thought I would post it here to share with all and see if more activity can't be generated on this forum. I remain hopeful that a lot of activity on here will help show Glu that there is heavy interest in the game and people are willing to purchase extras on Indestructible if a significant update to the game is released.
    For the most part, I use all 11 vehicles equally (except during my clan matches). There are some that are more fun to use (Shooter and Retro) and others that I hate using (Thermodon and Punisher). But in my continuing quest to discover and utlize the best loadouts, I thought I would share my current Mantis loadout and ask if others have a loadout that they think is better and why they think that.

This may have been done previously and/or in other places, but I couldn't find it and, in any event, I thought now might be a good time to revisit. So, here is my current Mantis loadout:

- T4 missiles
    - T4 capacitor
    - T4 window
    - T4 wrench
    - T4 melee
    - incendiary rockets
    Now for my explanation of my Mantis loadout . . .

The Mantis is fast enough compared to other vehicles, so I didn't think I needed even more speed. At 425.5 damage, each missile packs a whallop and even moreso when getting a power-up. With the Mantis speed, you should have an advantage in securing the power-ups that will give your missile a deadly 851 damage per missile.

The armor is where I thought the most improvement was necessary. The T4 window gives you enough armor to work with and the wrench will give you needed repair - you can use the Mantis speed to get away and buy you some precious seconds for repair if you need it. I chose incendiary rockets as my consumable because, once again, your speed will buy you some time to get away while your opponent chokes on the flames of your last 425 damage (or possibly 851 damage) rocket hit.

Let me hear what you think.

Hey Manta. It's a good config I often use myself. But may I put my .02 in? I think that the wrench, though an excellent component to have on small vehicles akin to the Mantis, could be ditched. The Mantis is already fast enough to make it to repair power up spots before other cars (in my view) and this lets me replace the wrench with the more powerful reloading mechanism. This is about dishing out damage on the move, fire evade, fire evade. You have to make good use of the hard-fast damage you deal as you drive past the waiting opponent, or cloud him with missiles as you drive alongside him. The incendiary consumables seek heat just like the ordinary Heat Seek, but I recommend the regular heat seek to better help the missiles catch up to and hit opponents
    I'm on Growtopia as RudyBan! Available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS!
    Growtopia is a 2D platformer MMORPG with gameplay between platforms. This means that everyone plays together!

Learn more about, and maybe download, Growtopia, here.

My RTsoft Forums profile, here.
  • MantaRayMantaRay Registered Users 136 Posts
    RudyBan wrote: »
    Hey Manta. It's a good config I often use myself. But may I put my .02 in? I think that the wrench, though an excellent component to have on small vehicles akin to the Mantis, could be ditched. The Mantis is already fast enough to make it to repair power up spots before other cars (in my view) and this lets me replace the wrench with the more powerful reloading mechanism. This is about dishing out damage on the move, fire evade, fire evade. You have to make good use of the hard-fast damage you deal as you drive past the waiting opponent, or cloud him with missiles as you drive alongside him. The incendiary consumables seek heat just like the ordinary Heat Seek, but I recommend the regular heat seek to better help the missiles catch up to and hit opponents

Yeah, thanks. I used to use the wrench on everything but now I only use it on a couple of vehicles. It's a nice comfort to have it and know that every second you are not getting hit, you are repairing. Having said that, and thinking about it more, I only really need repair against really good players. If that's the case, then they are usually good enough to hit me more often and enough that it's challenging to buy time to repair myself. In that regard, at only 20 armor per second, that means I would have to go untouched for 20 seconds just to get an additional 400 armor --- being completely untouched for 20 seconds against really good players is a lot to ask for. 400 armor, effectively, is only 1 missile, if that.

Thus, using the wrench likely allows me, at most, to get hit by one more missile. Is it really worth it? I don't know, but I'm going to try your suggestion, Rudy, and see how the reloading mechanism works with this loadout. Using a T4 reloading mechanism gives me 470 damage, which I like very much --- and that makes the power-up even more appetizing, to the tune of 940 damage with a power-up.

I'll test it out and see what happens.
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    Mike wrote: »
    Manta, I could not agree with you more. Some may argue that more speed is necessary but I agree that the Mantis is fast already and doesn't need it especially if you can maneuver well. With that said, I use the same load out as you for my Mantis. You forgot to mention the Mantis' passive ability which increases it explosive power by 15% at TOP SPEED. Therefore, those T4 INCENDIARY missles you were speaking about with a damage of 425 damage suddenly turn into lethal missles with a damage output of about 488 each plus burn. Then if you can get the double damage it makes each missle have a damage output of 977 and as they say...lights out for anyone who feels it wrath. The Mantis was built for T4 missles and using it for a hit and run, NOT for lasers or machine gun, so anyone currently using a Mantis now without rockets, is in my opinion, not harnessing the full potential of the Mantis. I agree the T4 wrench is perfect for repairing while on the run and the T4 window gives you enough extra armor to hang around while the going gets tough.

Thanks Frenzy. Yeah, I did forget about the passive ability. I love the 15% boost when the Mantis is going at top speed. Thus, it is imperative that, when driving the Mantis, be sure to always hit that active ability. The more you drive around at top speed, the more damage you inflict.

Now, with the loadout that I am going to test out tonight, my Mantis will inflict 470 damage. An extra 15% would make it 540.5. That's 540.5 with each missile on this killing machine. Double damage on that puppy then gets me to 1,081 per missile. {gulp}
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    Thanks Frenzy. Yeah, I did forget about the passive ability. I love the 15% boost when the Mantis is going at top speed. Thus, it is imperative that, when driving the Mantis, be sure to always hit that active ability. The more you drive around at top speed, the more damage you inflict.

Now, with the loadout that I am going to test out tonight, my Mantis will inflict 470 damage. An extra 15% would make it 540.5. That's 540.5 with each missile on this killing machine. Double damage on that puppy then gets me to 1,081 per missile. {gulp}

You are welcome Manta. I look forward to being your tester. :cool:
    FRENZY [S&A Co.™]
    Yeah, thanks. I used to use the wrench on everything but now I only use it on a couple of vehicles. It's a nice comfort to have it and know that every second you are not getting hit, you are repairing. Having said that, and thinking about it more, I only really need repair against really good players. If that's the case, then they are usually good enough to hit me more often and enough that it's challenging to buy time to repair myself. In that regard, at only 20 armor per second, that means I would have to go untouched for 20 seconds just to get an additional 400 armor --- being completely untouched for 20 seconds against really good players is a lot to ask for. 400 armor, effectively, is only 1 missile, if that.

Thus, using the wrench likely allows me, at most, to get hit by one more missile. Is it really worth it? I don't know, but I'm going to try your suggestion, Rudy, and see how the reloading mechanism works with this loadout. Using a T4 reloading mechanism gives me 470 damage, which I like very much --- and that makes the power-up even more appetizing, to the tune of 940 damage with a power-up.

I'll test it out and see what happens.

Alright, good luck with it. It works for me, skavl, and Joseph.
    Growtopia is a 2D platformer MMORPG with gameplay between platforms. This means that everyone plays together!

• DdannenDdannen Registered Users 875 Posts
    Woohoo looks like an all mantis challenge is in the works!
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • 007crad007crad Registered Users 16 Posts
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know my status on being able to play the game, I have returned back to work and that's going to take up a large part of my day don't think I will be able to play our daily matches but I hope to see you guys on the weekends, I may have time to complete my daily challenges but it's not oh well it's only gold, i'm sorry I know this sucks it's already hard to get our guys together for our daily matches now here's one more going MIA, have fun and I hope to play with you guys soon.
  • POLEREX_11POLEREX_11 Registered Users 195 Posts
    I like this,good stuff,but something tells me that if you go against a mantis with a t4 tornado cannon im done for.....that just happened:API lost with your setup,however i kinda used to own tornado cannons with something like acceleration,the mantis,fastest vehicle,but not enough excelleration,in the start the opposing mantis got to the double damage faster than my dozer can,we all know.from rudys speed dozer technique that my dozer is the fastest,but if it seriously beat my mantis to it,I'm pretty sures somewhere we can fit a little acceleration.this could be stupid this could be smart,idk you guys thinkxD
    MUAHAHAHHHAAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
    [S&ACo.™]PLEGDEMASTER
    007crad wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know my status on being able to play the game, I have returned back to work and that's going to take up a large part of my day don't think I will be able to play our daily matches but I hope to see you guys on the weekends, I may have time to complete my daily challenges but it's not oh well it's only gold, i'm sorry I know this sucks it's already hard to get our guys together for our daily matches now here's one more going MIA, have fun and I hope to play with you guys soon.

That's too bad about your weekday absences, but it's good that you are working. We will look for you on the weekends for sure. You will be missed during the week. Don't go AWOL on us, Crad, we need you in the clan!
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    POLEREX_11 wrote: »
    I like this,good stuff,but something tells me that if you go against a mantis with a t4 tornado cannon im done for.....that just happened:API lost with your setup,however i kinda used to own tornado cannons with something like acceleration,the mantis,fastest vehicle,but not enough excelleration,in the start the opposing mantis got to the double damage faster than my dozer can,we all know.from rudys speed dozer technique that my dozer is the fastest,but if it seriously beat my mantis to it,I'm pretty sures somewhere we can fit a little acceleration.this could be stupid this could be smart,idk you guys thinkxD

I know you love speed, POLER, and it IS a great asset, but the Mantis is fast already. I lean more towards missile damage than I do towards speed. Maybe that's not the greatest idea, but I have adapted my techniques for that and not so much for blinding speed. Increasing the mantis' speed means it tends to spin out more - at least for me. Plus, if a car is as fast as you are and it is on your tail, the technique where you slow down a little bit and then cut in front of it to throw that car on it's side and across part of the board is a HUGE asset if you develop that technique. If you can perfect that technique, you can throw any size vehicle off a cliff.

I used that technique last night with my Mantis in a clan match of Capture the Flag. It was an all Mantis match and I started out guarding the flag (positioned myself to do so) and my teammate went after the opponent's flag. When the opponent came to try to get my flag, I shot in front of him and threw him off to the side, killing him with missiles as he lay on his side while my teammate screamed in with the flag. In that case, speed did nothing for him and my high damage missiles were key.
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    007crad wrote: »

Happy to hear you are working but sad to hear you will be MIA. We will definitely look for you on the weekends so let us know when you are online. Be well.
    FRENZY [S&A Co.™]
    Try this one.

abcdefgh's Mantis

Urban Mantis
    Tier 2 Melee
    Flamethower
    Resonator Tiers 2,3,4
    High Temperature Cons.

No windows.... Gotta run around sparking everyone up. Burn time is a nightmarish FOURTEEN SECONDS

Just don't hit by anything, 14 seconds of burn that's a lot of heat.
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
    Ddannen wrote: »
    Just don't hit by anything, 14 seconds of burn that's a lot of heat.

It surprises me when people well up the guts to actually try and chase me. Can't they tell that having me dodge their fire and setting them alight for even longer won't end well for them?!

RudyBan wrote: »
    It surprises me when people well up the guts to actually try and chase me. Can't they tell that having me dodge their fire and setting them alight for even longer won't end well for them?!
    For me, when using flame I really like to have people chase me because you get the fame extension. It's a char broiling win win scenario.
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • POLEREX_11POLEREX_11 Registered Users 195 Posts
    im encountering real douche bags lately:mad:those mudda fuqas keep on hiding on ice map and than flamethrowing me when I try to get them,i end up dieing falling from low armor and panicking,or attempting to get them,it just makes me sick,to top it all off they went on the building....and shot missles at me
    MUAHAHAHHHAAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
    [S&ACo.™]PLEGDEMASTER