Gamecenter problems

DdannenDdannen Registered Users 875 Posts
Ok last night I ran into every conceivable problem trying to get games going in Gamecenter, at one point my buddy MantaRay was causing fails (not intentionally) every time I tried to get into a challenge. I was frustrated because some people could connect and others could not. I started to look for problems associated with Gamecenter and in the Apple support page I found this information on port forwarding. I realize that some of you have probably already done this nifty little entry in your routers but I had not. After creating the port forwarding I noticed right away that my connection times are greatly improved and I was able to connect easier than before. I am still not able to connect to MantaRay and still get a failed bro if I put you into a challenge. This I don't understand.

If you are on a Wi-Fi network that is behind a firewall, see below.

About firewalls

Frequently used by corporations and educational institutions for increased security, firewalls block certain Internet traffic from entering or leaving a network.

Internet traffic moves through a firewall based on service-identification numbers called ports. Certain ports must be open for Game Center to work. Network administrators typically open a minimal set of network ports, allowing the traffic for approved applications to enter and leave the network while blocking other network traffic.

Ports to open

If the Wi-Fi network router you are connected to uses a firewall or security software to restrict Internet access, contact the network administrator and refer to this article. To use Game Center on a restricted Wi-Fi network, port forwarding must be enabled for these ports:

443 (TCP)
[URL="tel:3478-3497"]3478-3497[/URL] (UDP)
4398 (UDP)
5223 (TCP)
16384-16387 (UDP)
16393-16472 (UDP)
The Wi-Fi network administrator can refer to their router, firewall, or security software documentation for information about configuring port forwarding.

I would encourage everyone to allow port forwarding if you are playing behind a firewall, you can always delete the entries later if you choose. Here's to better Gamecenter action.
Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!

Comments

• RudyBanRudyBan Registered Users 234 Posts
    Ddannen wrote: »
    Ok last night I ran into every conceivable problem trying to get games going in Gamecenter, at one point my buddy MantaRay was causing fails (not intentionally) every time I tried to get into a challenge. I was frustrated because some people could connect and others could not. I started to look for problems associated with Gamecenter and in the Apple support page I found this information on port forwarding. I realize that some of you have probably already done this nifty little entry in your routers but I had not. After creating the port forwarding I noticed right away that my connection times are greatly improved and I was able to connect easier than before. I am still not able to connect to MantaRay and still get a failed bro if I put you into a challenge. This I don't understand.

iOS and OS X: Using Game Center behind a firewall
    With most Wi-Fi networks, Game Center will work. If you are on a Wi-Fi network that is behind a firewall, see below.

About firewalls

Frequently used by corporations and educational institutions for increased security, firewalls block certain Internet traffic from entering or leaving a network.

Internet traffic moves through a firewall based on service-identification numbers called ports. Certain ports must be open for Game Center to work. Network administrators typically open a minimal set of network ports, allowing the traffic for approved applications to enter and leave the network while blocking other network traffic.

Ports to open

If the Wi-Fi network router you are connected to uses a firewall or security software to restrict Internet access, contact the network administrator and refer to this article. To use Game Center on a restricted Wi-Fi network, port forwarding must be enabled for these ports:

443 (TCP)
    3478-3497 (UDP)
    4398 (UDP)
    5223 (TCP)
    16384-16387 (UDP)
    16393-16472 (UDP)
    The Wi-Fi network administrator can refer to their router, firewall, or security software documentation for information about configuring port forwarding.

I would encourage everyone to allow port forwarding if you are playing behind a firewall, you can always delete the entries later if you choose. Here's to better Gamecenter action.

After I got your invites it fed me a network error. Anyway, I tried inviting you, Manta, and POLEREX but to no avail. It immediately says "Failed" for all three of you.
    I'm on Growtopia as RudyBan! Available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS!
    Growtopia is a 2D platformer MMORPG with gameplay between platforms. This means that everyone plays together!

Learn more about, and maybe download, Growtopia, here.

My RTsoft Forums profile, here.
  • DdannenDdannen Registered Users 875 Posts
    Yeah that was happening for me as well so I started to eliminate players individually, that's when I saw that if I left out MantaRay that I would no longer get failed. By that time it was pretty late (for me) and I was giving up. I tried to connect with you towards the end to no avail. I believe that the port forwarding will do nothing but help so I hope all will be aboard with the rather innocuous tweak.
    Heres looking forward to better gaming.
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
    MantaRay this is what I'm getting everytime I try to put you into a challenge, only happens with you.

2c621dbd1f3fc3425bf5b721050edeae.jpg
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • MantaRayMantaRay Registered Users 136 Posts
    I have no idea why. I looked at that port stuff and just tried to figure it out, but it's all gibberish to me. I have had so many issues today playing Indestructible. I have gotten booted off so many games, I'm sure my teammates are thinking I'm a damn quitter. It is beyond frustrating because this has never been a big issue for me before yesterday.

By the way, I get that same message every time I try to join DarkRacer in a game.
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    Geez this is a pain.

the port forwarding not too complicated provided your router is not too old. Just log into the admin access and look for advanced settings, typically you should see/find a tab or some other identifier that says port forwarding. Once there it is straight forward you put in the beginning port and ending port number and udp or tcp and then the IP address of your ipad/iPhone and apply. When there is only one port number it would go in the beginning and end (twice). You will end up with a table showing what's printed above. I don't think this is an end all fix all but it has helped my connection times and speed in connecting.

i may not be explaining this too good so I put a link that may answer more completely.

http://m.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • MantaRayMantaRay Registered Users 136 Posts
    Ddannen wrote: »
    Geez this is a pain.

the port forwarding not too complicated provided your router is not too old. Just log into the admin access and look for advanced settings, typically you should see/find a tab or some other identifier that says port forwarding. Once there it is straight forward you put in the beginning port and ending port number and udp or tcp and then the IP address of your ipad/iPhone and apply. When there is only one port number it would go in the beginning and end (twice). You will end up with a table showing what's printed above. I don't think this is an end all fix all but it has helped my connection times and speed in connecting.

i may not be explaining this too good so I put a link that may answer more completely.

http://m.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router

I will try this, but I'm wondering why this all the sudden has become an issue. It never was before and I have not done anything to my router/iPad to change the circumstances. Oh well. I'll keep working on it and hopefully the issue will magically disappear. My connection seems to have gotten better over the last hour or so.
    MantaRay [S&A Co.™]
    You also mention your still on the older version of IOS, this also could be exacerbating the problem. Wow it this fun or what :p
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • GrowlrrGrowlrr Registered Users 29 Posts
    Dapper, the 1v1 game last night glitched my client (I'm on iOS ver 6.1.3). It put me on the map aircrash, but I was awarded a victory before the countdown even finished. Afterwards, I could not even press the "play with friends" button to send a request through Game Center.
    Yeah that happens to me from time to time and after I back out it says I have lost the internet connection. This is not a good sign.
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
    Glad to see this is getting lots of views and I hope the suggestion is helping game play.
    Dapper [S&A Co.™]

Yeah that's my GC name!
  • MikeMike Registered Users 460 Posts
    Yes it is nice to see it getting a lot of views Dapper.
    FRENZY [S&A Co.™]
    SHOCK & AWE COMPANY CLAN MASTER