Glu: Is This a Promise or a Threat?

isabeauisabeau Registered Users 1,968 Posts
Second Sunday night in a row I got this pop-up. I can't be the only one.

[IMG][/img]image_zpswuudvh0x.jpeg

After all your b.s. and hyper-to-fk-all-money-grabs you sure have some gdam nerve. You're not the oxygen I breathe. Pigs.🐽🐽🐽

Comments

• LiiLii Registered Users 736 Posts
    This pop up has been around since I started playing about 2 years ago... it's pretty standard phrasing, if you look out for it you'll notice something along those lines in most free apps.
    PM me if you want to be friends, I'm playing on iOS
  • isabeauisabeau Registered Users 1,968 Posts
    Lii wrote: Β»
    This pop up has been around since I started playing about 2 years ago... it's pretty standard phrasing, if you look out for it you'll notice something along those lines in most free apps.

Hi Lii!

I have a lot of games, have uninstalled many too; and yeah, they all ask for a review--usually pretty quick, when you've just been having brand-new-game-fun and haven't yet discovered all the bad aspects of it. That notwithstanding, I've only been asked for KKH reviews immediately after an update, and then only. Not caring if I'm asked for a review other times, couldn't care less, that's fine. But, and however...it was never coupled with an "or else." It's always been the "Like our game? Please give us a review..." thing. The wording here is entirely new in my game. And I don't care for it. I pay a st of money already, because I *want* to. I don't need to be threatened by in-game pop-ups, that's just messed up. Do this or we'll make you pay...? Really? No. The language here is intentional and unacceptable. I'm surprised you've been seeing the exact same wording for two years, because in alllll the time I've been playing I have not.
    isabeau wrote: Β»
    Hi Lii!

I have a lot of games, have uninstalled many too; and yeah, they all ask for a review--usually pretty quick, when you've just been having brand-new-game-fun and haven't yet discovered all the bad aspects of it. That notwithstanding, I've only been asked for KKH reviews immediately after an update, and then only. Not caring if I'm asked for a review other times, couldn't care less, that's fine. But, and however...it was never coupled with an "or else." It's always been the "Like our game? Please give us a review..." thing. The wording here is entirely new in my game. And I don't care for it. I pay a st of money already, because I *want* to. I don't need to be threatened by in-game pop-ups, that's just messed up. Do this or we'll make you pay...? Really? No. The language here is intentional and unacceptable. I'm surprised you've been seeing the exact same wording for two years, because in alllll the time I've been playing I have not.

I have seen the wording before. What is meant by it is: "hey, I noticed you love this app and that is great. We really want to keep it going and we understand that you don't purchase the "pro" version, not everyone has the money for it. But a great way to help us out an in turn enable us to keep the app free and continue working on it is to give us a good review"
    They just have to boil it down as no one would read a text that long.
    Some people don't realize that people actually have to put in a lot of work for apps and their updates (I know that's not you) they just want everything for free. Good reviews actually really help out as more people see the app and download it as well, that way they can sell more ads or better ones. So it's kind of for people that have never thought about that there is actual work behind this to be like "hey, someone has to do this and actually get paid. Please help out"

Unfortunately there is no tone in writing. Now that you've said it, I can totally read it in a threading tone. However, I've always thought of it more as a happy exclamation, I
    Never read it with a threatening tone and I don't think it is meant that way.
  • JulesmoJulesmo Registered Users 640 Posts
    Lii wrote: Β»
    I have seen the wording before. What is meant by it is: "hey, I noticed you love this app and that is great. We really want to keep it going and we understand that you don't purchase the "pro" version, not everyone has the money for it. But a great way to help us out an in turn enable us to keep the app free and continue working on it is to give us a good review"
    They just have to boil it down as no one would read a text that long.
    Some people don't realize that people actually have to put in a lot of work for apps and their updates (I know that's not you) they just want everything for free. Good reviews actually really help out as more people see the app and download it as well, that way they can sell more ads or better ones. So it's kind of for people that have never thought about that there is actual work behind this to be like "hey, someone has to do this and actually get paid. Please help out"

Unfortunately there is no tone in writing. Now that you've said it, I can totally read it in a threading tone. However, I've always thought of it more as a happy exclamation, I
    Never read it with a threatening tone and I don't think it is meant that way.

What is the "pro" version of this game? Is that the VIP thing? I have never been offered that.
  • hoodstar9hoodstar9 Registered Users, Banned Users 424 Posts
    isabeau wrote: Β»
    Second Sunday night in a row I got this pop-up. I can't be the only one.

[IMG][/img]image_zpswuudvh0x.jpeg

After all your b.s. and hyper-to-fk-all-money-grabs you sure have some gdam nerve. You're not the oxygen I breathe. Pigs.

I have the same exact feelings and this continues to pop up every time my girl finish a gig.

I'm not sure if you knew but only a selected few were able to take a feedback survey related to the game. They want a positive rating yet they can't extend something like that to everyone. Time for KKH is winding down being the contract was only for five years and still we can't change the hair or skin tone of our NPC boyfriends, we don't have the option of another agent who isn't an idiot, babies can't become toddlers, these midweek events are a joke and not easy to complete especially if you work and go to school, and lastly some clown on the development team ruined Hampton Martin and brought him into KKH and then went as far as to turn him into an idiot who talks like he dropped out of high school. Let's not forget how LONG it took them to give us these new eyes and lips (although I would prefer more NARS items) That same person with their demented sense of humor and taste probably played a part in creating the pervert, Brandon Marlo and setting up Unity theater. Also, the biggest of all $4,000 as a "prize" during weekend events. We have been asking over and over for it to be removed and silence. It's funny how in another game I play which is my avatar, things aren't half as ridiculous as they are in KKH land plus I get to actually TALK to someone when I have a problem. Between this update with its obnoxious close-ups, the poor excuse of a VIP subscription, my ongoing fight customer care, and those rip-off throwback sales. It will be a cold day in hell before I give this game a five-star rating.
  • Syndra xSyndra x Registered Users 788 Posts
    Julesmo wrote: Β»
    What is the "pro" version of this game? Is that the VIP thing? I have never been offered that.

I'm also wondering... So there's really a "pro" version of KKH? Now that you mention about this thing pop-up thing, Isabeau, tho it's no biggie but it somehow sounds like a mild threat or idk maybe i'm just cray but seriously Glu should keeps this "free" version forever.
    ✨🌹 βœͺΒ πŸ’Ž πŸ’‹ 🌟 πŸŽ† ✩ πŸ’— β™›Β πŸ’–βœ¨πŸŒΉ βœͺΒ πŸ’Ž πŸ’‹ 🌟 πŸŽ† ✩ πŸ’— β™›Β πŸ’–
  • KyndallThaKingKyndallThaKing Registered Users 211 Posts
    I have the same exact feelings and this continues to pop up every time my girl finish a gig.

I'm not sure if you knew but only a selected few were able to take a feedback survey related to the game. They want a positive rating yet they can't extend something like that to everyone. Time for KKH is winding down being the contract was only for five years and still we can't change the hair or skin tone of our NPC boyfriends, we don't have the option of another agent who isn't an idiot, babies can't become toddlers, these midweek events are a joke and not easy to complete especially if you work and go to school, and lastly some clown on the development team ruined Hampton Martin and brought him into KKH and then went as far as to turn him into an idiot who talks like he dropped out of high school. Let's not forget how LONG it took them to give us these new eyes and lips (although I would prefer more NARS items) That same person with their demented sense of humor and taste probably played a part in creating the pervert, Brandon Marlo and setting up Unity theater. Also, the biggest of all $4,000 as a "prize" during weekend events. We have been asking over and over for it to be removed and silence. It's funny how in another game I play which is my avatar, things aren't half as ridiculous as they are in KKH land plus I get to actually TALK to someone when I have a problem. Between this update with its obnoxious close-ups, the poor excuse of a VIP subscription, my ongoing fight customer care, and those rip-off throwback sales. It will be a cold day in hell before I give this game a five-star rating.

yass you went in i hope they at lest let the babies grow up.
    HiarASU.gif
    Kim Kardashian: Hollywood
    D-List #557
    6.7k Fans

Kendall & Kylie
    Kyndall Harris
    #53 on most Followed
    96.2 Million Followers
    Level 23

Britney Spears: American Dream
    William A
    Star ID: LNY6YJ4V
    A-List #1
    91M Fans
    Billion Singles Sold
    WLA Records Label: The Best Indie Label Around
    50 Members
    Level 18

Nicki Minaj: The Empire
  • ZoyechkaZoyechka Registered Users 1,187 Posts
    yass you went in i hope they at lest let the babies grow up.
    HiarASU.gif
    Omg off topic but I LOVE CIARA!!!!
    GC: ZoΓ« Strange
  • kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,115 Posts
    I don't see it as a threat, If you've ever rated it, it urges to do do it again, so it will 'update' your review, and they'll have more recent comments. it will take a 5 down to a 4 if I rate it lower than before, or it will let me change a 4 to a 5, and it just keeps it current. It doesn't let me rate it more than once, each review overwrites the previous. To me it's a benign - Hey, how do you like the game? Tell others about the game? Say it like your mom saying "Do you want to have people over, better clean your room." so, more of a nag than a threat. Lol. But hey, I was outraged when Maria was implying I better keep up appearances, like I wasn't really rich, just trying to look it. Tone of voice when it's written can be interpreted a thousand different ways. I have a better one. It's like a dopey friend saying "If we like Britney Spears, we better rate her on the internet so she keeps making records." Ok, off to make cookies. brb.
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    πŸ¦‹Purple Headed β™Š+ πŸ₯₯ Chick Playing iOS & Android πŸ¦‹
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    πŸ’œVats
    πŸ’œ#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
  • katiealexandraakatiealexandraa Registered Users 1,171 Posts
    The higher rating a game has in the iTunes store (or the Android equivalent), the more it is featured (so new players will see it) and more players who are on the fence will download and play. A game having more players means that there are more advertisers that want to work with them, and these advertisers are willing to pay more (I'm sure the number of positive ratings also effects this). This is what allows KKH to operate as a free game, they are able to pay their workers based on what the advertisers pay them, as well as whatever players spend on ktars or SMCs (which we all know do not need to be bought to play the game).

If KKH was unable to pay their workers with this method, then they would most likely restructure, and one of those restructuring methods would probably be to make it a game you must buy. Of course this isn't necessarily what they would do - but you do have to buy many games in the iTunes store.

This isn't a "threat," and it has shown up for awhile in the game (for me at least). Of course, it isn't the most clear way of saying it, however it is more likely the shortest way to write it as players aren't going to sit there and read an entire paragraph on a pop-up.

High ratings helps the game. Lower ratings help too, as a way of feedback so they can see what they need to improve on, but the higher ratings help the game make money, keeping it free.
    β™‘ iOS (level 64 A+++) β™‘
    β™”Β Instagram: katiealexandraa.kkhΒ β™”
  • kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,115 Posts
    Thanks for that explanation, it makes a lot of sense. I've rated them in each of my games. I'll be honest, when the Androids were frozen I dropped my rating to 3. When the Androids were thawed my rating went back up to 5 because lets face it....I love the game. I never saw it as a threat....now maria telling me I have to keep up appearances just ticks me off. Kim's the real deal, BC or AngelaK is keeping up appearances if you know what I mean. Does it affect me playing or enjoying the game, of course not. It's just phrasing, while Maria's phrasing used to really bug me, that's the same way others might 'read' the "So we can keep bringing your free updates". Worst phrasing of all? Our SOs calling for a date. "I missed you. Do you want to hang out" is tired, and uninspiring. Please fix that one. I miss you , lets hang out is way better than I missed you. I missed the bus. I missed your phone call. But "I miss you" is what a romantic partner says when they really want to be with you. So.....removing 2 littler latters would make it feel less like a chore. Just saying.

Awkeard phrasing in the game. I bet there's more. But honestly, thank you for that KatieAlexandraa. I feel like waving my hand and calling out "I knew that" but you nailed it Katie. THanks.
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    πŸ¦‹Purple Headed β™Š+ πŸ₯₯ Chick Playing iOS & Android πŸ¦‹
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    πŸ’œVats
    πŸ’œ#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    Julesmo wrote: Β»
    Syndra x wrote: Β»

I'm also wondering... So there's really a "pro" version of KKH? Now that you mention about this thing pop-up thing, Isabeau, tho it's no biggie but it somehow sounds like a mild threat or idk maybe i'm just cray but seriously Glu should keeps this "free" version forever.

Oops I'm sorry. I was talking about apps in general. Often they have a free version and a "pro" version where you pay a bit and then don't get ads. It's basically the same here, once you make one purchase you don't get the ads anymore so essentially you have a pro version then.
  • MagriatrixMagriatrix Registered Users 123 Posts
    I deleted the app because it got hard to stay #1 without using real life money, but when I still had that app, I did see it a few times.
    These words are like knives and often leave scars. -Brendon Urie
    It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness. -Phil Lester
    Fast food, greasy taco, I love. Food like this could've only come from above. -Tyler Robert Joseph

:oAll of you are beautiful in your own way. Don't ever change yourself.:o