~ Apropos of Nuthin'

Comments

• soundsprettysoundspretty Registered Users 5,000 Posts
    Usually I do corned beef and cabbage but I actually just made that about a month ago lol. So I probably won't. Plus we're going out to an Irish pub so I'm sure we'll get some good stuff to eat there. Although we do like to stock up on the pre packaged corned beefs when they go on sale after St. Patty's Day, because they're really cheap and you can just freeze them and do stuff during the year. Mmm reubens.
  • kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,091 Posts
    To Be Honest....I'm more Pastrami than corned beef, but I even wear Green on St. Patrick's Day. I watch the parade on TV, and cook corned beef like a good girl. I love your idea of stocking up on the 18th. PuterHead loves corned beef.
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    🦋Purple Headed ♊+ 🥥 Chick Playing iOS & Android 🦋
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    You should! Here they get as low as $1-2 if you wait a few days.
  • isabeauisabeau Registered Users 1,968 Posts
    You should! Here they get as low as $1-2 if you wait a few days.

$2 for a corned beef? Seriously?! They're sold year-round here, upwards of $30 USD more or less, with price gouging in March of course. $1 to $2??!! Wowwww, that's crazy. And meanwhile, the Irish *still* don't eat corned beef for St. Patrick's Day in Ireland!
    Another metro ny colloquialism: not for nuthin. Not for nuthin, but if you 'guess' correctly 100% of the time what does that say?

Ok, who's making corned beef and cabbage next week? It's lent, st pats is a Friday....can you say Corned Bass & Cabbage? No? How about a nice double cheese pizza for dinner that night? I'm Irish...so it's a traditional holiday dinner...but it's a meatless Friday. What to do, what to do......Ok pizza it is.

Hah! I'm Jewish; corned beef is a soul food for us, as is Koko's pastrami. I make one at least four times a year, and *especially* on St. Patrick's Day. With boiled potatoes, but a big no on the cabbage. My mother used to make it with the cabbage though. Both the potatoes and cabbage. God, cooking cabbage stinks! But maybe that's just me.
    isabeau wrote: »
    $2 for a corned beef? Seriously?! They're sold year-round here, upwards of $30 USD more or less, with price gouging in March of course. $1 to $2??!! Wowwww, that's crazy. And meanwhile, the Irish *still* don't eat corned beef for St. Patrick's Day in Ireland!

Yup! They stock up and price gouge leading up to the 17th but I think last year I waited about a week (it might have even been 2 weeks to be honest) and they were clearing them out super cheap. We have Irish festivals all over town but I'm thinking people don't actually eat the stuff lol. They had a ton for the picking. Also I'm not sure it's packaged as a full pound if that makes a difference. It may just be half a pound... it makes just enough for hubby and me with leftovers.

I liked cooked cabbage when it's fresh. Reheated, no (unless it's cabbage rolls but even that's iffy). I would never just randomly cook it either because it stinks up the whole house. Almost rotten smelling.
  • AmyTAmyT Registered Users 1,164 Posts
    Mmmm cabbage! lol I never ate the meat part of the meal when eating with my Irish relatives on my mum's side (she's half Irish, half Spanish), because me and my mum were/still are vegetarians, but I loved the colcannon mash ���� although my relatives thought we were strange for not eating meat lol however, my sister took after my Scottish dad and loved the Irish dish with bacon and white parsley sauce. When I was at uni in Ireland, my usual Paddy's day meal was simply many pints of Guinness ❤ a nutritious meal in a glass that also gets you hammered. I couldn't ask for more??!!
    Top 20 +++
    My doll's name is Madison :)
    (~~ one cat short of crazy! ~~)

iOS player ~~ GC AmyTMadison
    Pm me if you'd like to add Madison on Facebook :)

#fangsforNai
    I had to look up what colcannon mash was! Looks interesting. A good way to get your greens in :p I love dressed up mashed potatoes. However I agree with your sister and dad, I'd prefer with bacon and butter or some type of sauce haha. I saw a picture that had melted cheese on top - probably the American way to ruin a dish. When in doubt, add cheese.
  • AmyTAmyT Registered Users 1,164 Posts
    I'm actually craving colcannon mash now haha I might make some this weekend. And yum, it's always good with some grated cheese on :)
    Top 20 +++
    My doll's name is Madison :)
    (~~ one cat short of crazy! ~~)

iOS player ~~ GC AmyTMadison
    Pm me if you'd like to add Madison on Facebook :)

#fangsforNai
    I love stuffed cabbage, any meal with cabbage does stink up the house. But pastrami is a meal unlike any other. The flavor dances on your tongue. I was in my middle teans, and found an old diet book on the bookshelf. I found a diet, i think it was modified atkins, that said you could have a pound of bacon but yoiu couldn'g have a leaf of lettuce. Ok, out to the deli, and i ate nothing but pastrami for the week. I water retai ed myself into a weight gain of about 2 pounds. Yeah, that didn't work so well for me. So, anyone in favor of Pastrami and Cabbage, but make the cabbage a nice plate of pickled beets and i'll celebrate this year the right way. What? No one like beets?
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    I love pastrami. I don't know that I've ever had it other than deli sliced though? Sounds wonderful.

My hubby is polish so I do my best attempts at cabbage rolls but they never turn out as well as my mother-in-law's. Although the best ones I've had I get once a year, during a polish festival that's organized by hubby's uncle. Brings in people all over the city. I always go straight for the food line where you can get a boxed lunch of homemade kielbasa with sauerkraut, a cabbage roll, and a pierogi yum! There's always this older gentleman who walks around with a huge bottle of vodka, passing out shots. For our wedding day a family member passed out shots of polish vodka. I thought I was drinking rubbing alcohol yeesh. The unfortunate side to belonging to a polish family is you can't get through a gathering without someone providing shots. I like my vodka mixed so shots are a little rough. The best though is hubby's dad's cousin (whew!) that makes his own krupnik. If made right it goes down smooth and tastes vaguely like you would think a cinnamon candle would taste like. I've tried to make my own with little success.
    I love pastrami. I don't know that I've ever had it other than deli sliced though? Sounds wonderful.

My hubby is polish so I do my best attempts at cabbage rolls but they never turn out as well as my mother-in-law's. Although the best ones I've had I get once a year, during a polish festival that's organized by hubby's uncle. Brings in people all over the city. I always go straight for the food line where you can get a boxed lunch of homemade kielbasa with sauerkraut, a cabbage roll, and a pierogi yum! There's always this older gentleman who walks around with a huge bottle of vodka, passing out shots. For our wedding day a family member passed out shots of polish vodka. I thought I was drinking rubbing alcohol yeesh. The unfortunate side to belonging to a polish family is you can't get through a gathering without someone providing shots. I like my vodka mixed so shots are a little rough. The best though is hubby's dad's cousin (whew!) that makes his own krupnik. If made right it goes down smooth and tastes vaguely like you would think a cinnamon candle would taste like. I've tried to make my own with little success.

I love this story, soundspretty.:) Any way to sneak into the kitchen and dump the shots into orange or cranberry juice?? Half pounds and pounds--we never have such small sizes on offer, no wonder $2! The three and four pound ones we get are good for a family of four, so we *never* have any left over. And that's just plain sad.:( Stuffed cabbage and pierogi! Yes, pleeze! We have a great restaurant just a few blocks away called Just Like Mother's. (In this case, my grandma! Just Like Grandmother's!) I loveeee that place. It was so cold yesterday we didn't want to go out so ordered assorted flavor blintzes. One of the few things that can be 1. an appetizer; 2. a main dish; and 3. a dessert. Please note: Am inviting myself over for your cabbage rolls--why did I never think of making them myself??--so pleeze pass the rubbing alcohol! You and I can make the more palatable Sea Breezes!
    A local winery is advertising shamrock wine slushies this weekend. I assume it's a white wine slushie with green food coloring however I'm trying to decide what flavor they would use that wouldn't completely gross you out as you're drinking green slush.
  • daffodildaffodil Registered Users 603 Posts
    A local winery is advertising shamrock wine slushies this weekend. I assume it's a white wine slushie with green food coloring however I'm trying to decide what flavor they would use that wouldn't completely gross you out as you're drinking green slush.

What's the difference if there's alcohol in it :P
    hackers can burn in hell
    True! I'm definitely headed out there to get one if weather is nice. I just don't green lips!
    Um, mint? Would that work? Hey,Dolls forget the food coloring..... . When you need a pop of color........Midori for the win.

kim_kardashian_midori_GC.jpg
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
  • JulesmoJulesmo Registered Users 640 Posts
    I have spent the last three weekends and now every night this week prepping for the mother of all yard sales, which I am holding this Saturday. My house looks like a tornado hit it. I cannot wait til Saturday afternoon at 3pm, when the last shopper will have left three hours ago and I just got back from taking the unsellables to Waterfront Mission.
    Hope you have great success. I would love to have one, but my block gets no traffic. And I don't have patience. But that's great. How do you know what to price things? I'd go cry.y.
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    If you want to get rid of everything, err on the side of low. And in my experience, people will haggle so if you have something nicer like furniture, price it a little higher than what you want because people will offer you lower anyway.

I don't have the energy for garage sales. I have two boxes in the garage right now that I need to finish filling and then I'm just going to donate. A big thing on FB nowadays is swap and shops. People post pictures of things they want to sell or trade and then others comment asking for it or whatnot. The local one here is junk so I don't bother with it. I left the group after someone had posted a bra for sale...
    If you want to get rid of everything, err on the side of low. And in my experience, people will haggle so if you have something nicer like furniture, price it a little higher than what you want because people will offer you lower anyway.

I don't have the energy for garage sales. I have two boxes in the garage right now that I need to finish filling and then I'm just going to donate. A big thing on FB nowadays is swap and shops. People post pictures of things they want to sell or trade and then others comment asking for it or whatnot. The local one here is junk so I don't bother with it. I left the group after someone had posted a bra for sale...

a bra?? Goodness. The last yard sale I had was about 7 years ago, and it was successful. I consider success to be most of the stuff is gone by the end of the sale :) For that sale, a man pulled up in a truck early in the morning and offered me $400 for everything. I said no, and ended up making more than that, but I did have things left over. I am hoping he shows up again because I will take a deal this time! I had considered posting pics on Facebook the day of, but I think I am just going to trust that Craigslist has reached people. Around here, that is what everyone uses. I won't have the time or patience on Saturday to haggle with folks in person *and* online. I am just ready to start decorating after all this clutter is gone. Soon!!!
    Hope you have great success. I would love to have one, but my block gets no traffic. And I don't have patience. But that's great. How do you know what to price things? I'd go cry.y.

I live in one of those neighborhoods people know about because it puts on a big Halloween shindig, and it is centrally located in my town. Plus, it is one of the oldest in town and everyone either grew up in it or knows someone who did. I am pricing too low, I am sure, but I am pricing it to move! Making some money is great, but it is almost worth more to me to get rid of it all.
    Have a great sale Jules, I'm green and it's not the holiday. I'd love to clear out the clutter.
    What made you take the leap between thought and deed? If thought would do it there wouldn't be a speck of clutter. How do you decide what to keep and what goes? I can't get it started.

Hey, I'd love a garage sale in the KK:H wardrobe. lol. But seriously, have a great sale, nice weather and NICE customers.
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    I come from a family of hoarders. My dad won't get rid of anything. He'll find something in the parking lot and all of a sudden it has sentimental value. When my sister and I moved out my mom made us take everything of ours, even if we didn't want it, because he wanted to keep all of it. I think it's because he didn't get to keep much of anything from his childhood so he has a hard time letting go.

My husband is a bit of a pack rat too although I wouldn't say he's horrible about it. One of the problems is my mother in law tries to get rid of stuff and he takes it, because of ~childhood memories~ I'm guessing and 90% of it is just junk. One time he went out of town for business and I donated a garbage bag full of old Christmas decorations. He never noticed.

As our house becomes more lived in I find myself wanting to get rid of more and more. I hate to clean so the less we have, the better lol. I read somewhere a long time ago that a good rule of thumb is to get rid of X number of things each month. Either throw it out, sell it, or donate it. Just get rid of it. Can be anything from clothes to kitchen stuff to books. WHATEVER. My number is 5. This month I went through my pots and pans and got rid of the ones I hardly use.
  • Carol DavidaCarol Davida Registered Users 6,145 Posts
    It would be so cool if we'd be able to sell/trade/gifted gifts from our doll(s) wardrobe. I still have the so glam Kylie lips that I'll never use on my dolls.:rolleyes:
    Daily Android KKH player

Carolette Davie (the all-American bittersweet feminist) ➡ the diva's cousin

If you would like to be friends with me in-game please PM me so that I'll know that you're from the glu forums. Tyvm☺

Follow me on IG

#SafeStorage #MaleDollsMatters #BonusStarForParties #BoycottTrendsetters #DontPunishPayingCustomers #MoreAdsForKstars #StopKollections

Secret to a clean yet liveable home....fly lady.net.
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    It would be so cool if we'd be able to sell/trade/gifted gifts from our doll(s) wardrobe. I still have the so glam Kylie lips that I'll never use on my dolls.:rolleyes:

They'd have to flag it somehow to show that you owned it at one time. Can you imagine opening a TB box only to get back what you just got rid of? lol

I'd rather maybe just have the ability to hide some items. Then you'd still have the option of getting them back if you change your mind later. Like I don't need to see the Halloween outfits except in October but I still want them.
    No million dollars for me! My bracket is done *grumbles*

Any NCAA fans? College basketball is really the only sport I watch (go KU!!) I can't do professional basketball. Not a fan of football. I like going to baseball games but I would never watch one on TV, even if it is my local team. But even at the stadium I'm done about 6th-7th inning. One time I was in such a daze, bored out of my mind, that I didn't realize the game had ended and we won until everyone stood up to leave.
    I have always wondered about the origins of this game. I know there is a game out there called Hollywood, and it is also a Glu game, and it looks similar. Was KK:H supposed to be a spinoff of that game, that became much more successful than Hollywood? I opened Hollywood once and most of the beginner wardrobe choices are the same. I am sure people on here know the answer to this.

I started playing KK:H about a month after it was released, and didn't know anything about it before that, so I missed the run-up to it and any articles about it before release.
  • HollySiskHollySisk Registered Users 3,445 Posts
    I'd rather maybe just have the ability to hide some items. Then you'd still have the option of getting them back if you change your mind later. Like I don't need to see the Halloween outfits except in October but I still want them.

I LOVE this idea!!! Even with the new closet structure, many sections are too full. I'd love to move on the items Dixie never/rarely wears to a separate storage.
    Holly
    I play on iOS
    #WhyBotherWhenGluNEVERlistens
    Julesmo wrote: »
    I have always wondered about the origins of this game. I know there is a game out there called Hollywood, and it is also a Glu game, and it looks similar. Was KK:H supposed to be a spinoff of that game, that became much more successful than Hollywood? I opened Hollywood once and most of the beginner wardrobe choices are the same. I am sure people on here know the answer to this.

I started playing KK:H about a month after it was released, and didn't know anything about it before that, so I missed the run-up to it and any articles about it before release.

Not a spin-off but the design of KKH was based on Hollywood. I'm not sure how long it was out before KKH but I remember playing it before KKH came out.