***Talk about Covid19 Virus****Dedicated thread

Comments

• soundsprettysoundspretty Registered Users 5,000 Posts
    edited March 2020
    I live in a metropolitan area and there seems to be a lot of cases coming out of one county in particular, so much so that it was announced that due to the increased community transmission rate they won't be testing anyone unless they're in the hospital with symptoms. We have very limited tests so they're having to do this to preserve what they do have. Plus they're telling people to stay away from hospitals unless their condition is bad. Oh boy. Good thing I have two more puzzles 😂
  • thallisathallisa Registered Users 1,384 Posts
    I live in a metropolitan area and there seems to be a lot of cases coming out of one county in particular, so much so that it was announced that due to the increased community transmission rate they won't be testing anyone unless they're in the hospital with symptoms. We have very limited tests so they're having to do this to preserve what they do have. Plus they're telling people to stay away from hospitals unless their condition is bad. Oh boy. Good thing I have two more puzzles 😂

Same thing was happening in Spain for a bit. At first they tested only people with symptoms who travelled to China, Italy, Japan etc. and those who had direct contact with them, but then they announced that they'll test only severe cases that needed to be hospitalised and everyone with mild symptoms will be advised to stay away from the hospital, just do the quarantine and that someone will be checking on their condition over the phone 😑 But yesterday our government changed their mind again after the new WHO announcement that criticised various countries for not doing enough tests and apparently they'll start testing everyone with any symptoms now. I've read that some people with mild symptoms who were advised to stay home before were already contacted about the test, so that's great. Hopefully they'll do the same thing in the US soon as well because apparently WHO didn't single out any country directly but everyone speculates it was directed @ Trump. 
  • oopsididitagainoopsididitagain Registered Users, Member 1,158 Posts
    @soundspretty I’m about to crack open my 1000 piece and I’m pumped lol
  • dpetersdpeters Registered Users, Member 2,843 Posts
    In my country a lot of people are at risk because companies refuse to stop working and they are forced to go out of their houses so they don't get fired. There's also a lot of self employed citizens who are forced to go out because they need their income to bring food to their tables. Other companies  refuse to let employees work from home even when they have the tools for it. I think this situation is showing everyone's true colors, this is when you see how empathic or greedy company owners can be, this is when you see how selfish a person can be by living a normal life in spite of having the virus and risking other people's lives instead of taking precautions. 

It's such a relief to see a lot of forum members being aware of the seriousness of the situation. Those of you who are lucky enough to stay home, don't go outside unless you really have to. And those who, like myself, have to go to work, stay safe and take every precaution. I don't care if people say I'm being silly, if I have to wash my hands a thousand times a day and keep my distance from others I will. I do it for my family.

Stay safe and keep on praying!
    Android player 
    Christmas lover 🎄
    #duetstiesystemisunfair
    #fomoiskeepingmehere
  • snakiekkhsnakiekkh Registered Users, Member 336 Posts
    @dpeters this is exactly my situation, I live in the UK and work in a supermarket and they're ringing us up every day trying to get us to come in to do overtime. Not only do I have my degree to focus on right now- I also have a father I live with who is ill at the moment and an asthmatic brother.

I do need the money so I'm going in for core shifts (9hrs a week) and the odd shift if they're direly understaffed but they're taking no precautions for us staff or for the public besides giving us half empty hand sanitisers at our checkouts, and it's so busy we can't go to the toilet mid-shift to wash our hands (which is more effective anyway than hand sanitiser). They're so reluctant to let anyone take time off if they're showing minor symptoms (which is dreadful as I live in a village full of elderly people and commuters from London).

I'm checking my temperature every day but if it raises at all or if I have any symptoms I'm calling in and they can give me whatever disciplinary they want- I'm not risking other peoples' lives because management didn't take extra precautions to protect us in the first place.
    Katie, iOS player, actually a lizard with a keyboard
  • kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,115 Posts
    I'm sorry your work is being like that.  I can see how as a food provider they need to be open, but they could be way more proactive in protecting their staff.  There is no excuse for that.  Do they not realize that if their employees become ill, there will be no one to keep the store running?   Stay safe and you are right to look out for your parents like that. 
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    🦋Purple Headed ♊+ 🥥 Chick Playing iOS & Android 🦋
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
    @kokokokonut exactly, apparently other stores from my chain have at least given their employees latex and non-latex gloves to use, and other supermarkets have ensured their employees that they'll still get a decent percentage of their income if they're ill (as we don't get sick pay) but we've got nothing besides a poster saying to wash our hands- no briefings or anything :( Thank you Koko, all the best to you! :heart:

A lot of the major grocery stores around here already do delivery and pickup. I personally think it would be wise if they enforced that like they did restaurants (only delivery or curbside pickup). Not only will that help with food hoarding (enforce limits) but will give employees a break. I'm sure it's a lot easier to pick food based on someone's shopping list than constantly having to restock, sanitize, and fix shelves because people are slobs. 
    thallisa said:
     WHO didn't single out any country directly but everyone speculates it was directed @ Trump. 

Oh it definitely is. WHO offered the tests and he wanted the CDC to develop their own (why? I'm sure it's related to $$ somehow) It doesn't help that the CDC is having to make contradictory statements because false information is being spread by those in charge. Unfortunately, dummies are likely to listen to one over the other. I'm sure you can guess which one.
  • MiyuriMiyuri Registered Users, Member 289 Posts
    Thanks for the special thread on this topic. I wondered whether I could actually make one when I started seeing the issue spread across a few different threads. I have to say, even though I never expected or wanted the numbers to get that big, it is reassuring for me to see more people talking about it and getting informed.

As I mentioned in another thread, I live in South Korea, the 2nd country to be widely contaminated. We had a few cases here and there, until February 20, where it all exploded. So it’s been a month now of living in this tense atmosphere, with the feeling that I couldn’t really talk to anyone about it and no one understood my worries because it was only affecting Asia, so who cares. Nobody was really taking it seriously because it only happens to others.
    What is scary is to see how bad our numbers were and how even worse they are now for Europe, Iran and the US. I think we were "lucky" in the sense that the majority of our cases originated from the same cluster in one city and testing was done extensively there to find as many contaminated people as possible before they unknowingly spread it elsewhere. We had some progress over the last week, with numbers going down steadily from 850 a day to 500 to double-digits in the last 4 days… until today where we are now back to 150. It’s not much but it still hurts to see that curve go up again when we were starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There has been real improvement over the course of the last week, which I hope other countries will experience soon as well, but we’re still not out of the woods and we shouldn’t feel a false sense of security when things start improving. Keep being careful because it can come back just as easily.
    Hopefully it’s just a fluke and it will go back down again in the next few days, but the high numbers are because they found another cluster here + there is now a surge in imported cases whereas it was only domestic before. Foreigners coming back from Europe and again, thinking they can’t possibly have it…!

So please, whether you traveled or not, whether you’re feeling symptoms or not, consider yourself potentially infected. Stay home as much as you can, for your own safety and the one of others. Don’t be paranoid, don’t attack others as if they’re out there to get you, don’t hoard stuff, live your life, go to a store or the doctor or your job, but try to limit yourself to only what is necessary and be careful while doing so. Yes, it’s annoying, boring, a limitation of your freedom, a financial issue. But people thinking they’re above it and it can’t happen to them is the reason why it’s spreading.
    Not touching your face is one of the recommendations but realistically speaking it’s impossible. You’ll always have a nose itch, hair in your eyes or just nervous habits that you’re not thinking of. So because you’re going to touch your face anyway, make sure you do so with hands that are as clean as possible. Always have something to clean yourself after touching stuff in a public space: subway handles, stair guardrail, something in a store… And have some hand lotion ready at home, because the skin of your hands is going to be super tight and flaky after so much washing!

Take care of yourself, stay in touch with others (phone or online), try not to stress too much, and I hope it can be just a bad memory for all of us soon.
    🇫🇷 in 🇰🇷
    Platform: iPadOS 17.4.1
    Current level: 99
  • princesspreciousprincessprecious Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I work for a makeup company but my counter is within a department store in the UK, and I'm being forced to work as I'm not currently sick. It's starting to make me feel anxious but I haven't told anybody! My mum's cousin died 2 days ago, I've only just been able to get in contact with my grandparents, I've been worried sick for the past few days but thankfully they're both okay and staying at home, even though my grandma is feeling pressured to go to work on Saturday. My partner lives and works in a different city, I'm worried I'm not going to get to see him soon either as his work are making him go in too. My heart goes out to everyone right now 😞
  • dpetersdpeters Registered Users, Member 2,843 Posts
    @snakiekkh OMG I'm so sorry you have to work in such circumstances. The least they can do is give you facemasks and gloves to keep you safe. I know supermarkets are necessary but they can't risk your lives like that and like others have mentioned they could do deliveries to decrease the number of customers that visit the store. 
    Android player 
    Christmas lover 🎄
    #duetstiesystemisunfair
    #fomoiskeepingmehere
    edited March 2020
  • samaaanthaaasamaaanthaaa Registered Users, Member 975 Posts
    I work in retail in the US at a department store and we are refusing to close. Even when entire malls are being forced to close, they’re remaining open. They’re putting us at risk and refuse to give us any information. We’re just getting yelled at for not hitting our sales goals or getting credit card apps. If we aren’t constantly cleaning we’re sent home or fired. They’re making people use their sick or vacation time if they want to be safe. If we close, I’m pretty sure we won’t be paid. They feel as if clothes and bedding is more important than keeping their staff, many of which are older, safe. Stop supporting the department store that starts with a D in the US.
    @samaaanthaaa Ugh. Luckily the company I work for doesn't believe in laying people off, although when there are economic downturns they suddenly become very, very lean. We have to use our vacation time as well although they claim if we do have to shut down for 2 days that they're looking into pay continuance options. Although if we have to shut down multiple times I don't know how that's going to work. HR has some sort of secret list where they're tracking employees who call out, hopefully just to track the virus if there is an outbreak. Sales are down from last year yet we're still doing almost a million in sales per day so lots of people are still shopping. I guarantee we already have people who are infected here who are either not showing symptoms yet or they are very mild. I mean, we have people coming to work with the full on flu so I don't expect this to be any different. It's hard not to worry.
    @princessprecious oh my gosh, first of all I am so so sorry for your loss in your family, it must be horrible not being able to gather together to mourn her at this awful time 😔 
    I'm glad you managed to get in contact with your grandparents finally, it must have been so anxiety-inducing to deal with all the fear about them until just recently. I really really hope she doesn't give into those pressures- no employer is worth her health, whether it be physical or mental health. They shouldn't even be asking her to in the first place, ffs!
    And I feel you on your partner, mine works in London (thankfully part-home part in central so his risk is lowered a bit and he drives to see me so no public transport on that front at least) but I don't know what I'd do without seeing him on the semi-regular 😔 
    The UK and UK corporations really are not doing enough for their employees or their customers (like how apparently Primark and Urban Outfitters have closed all physical stores, they're the only two I've heard of actually doing something but I do hope they're still paying their employees). Who needs to be out buying stuff from department stores in person right now? Can't it wait or be done online?
    Please do reach out to your friends about how anxious you're feeling, or if you need a stranger my DMs are always open! Hate to know you're going through this same feeling right now, everything is so uneasy at the moment and Boris Johnson really isn't doing enough to help regular people 😔 

@dpeters this is exactly it, like if they increased the amount of home deliveries we could do (especially as so many people are looking for short term work right now, like being a minimal-contact delivery driver where you can just leave things on the doorstep and ring their doorbell) they could reduce the traffic in-store, but we also have so many customers still coming in clearly ill then complaining about our lack of stock at 9pm, honestly it's a nightmare! But it's got to be done, hopefully people will start acting and buying more sensibly in the upcoming weeks!
    @samaaanthaaa that is AWFUL from them, gosh I am so so sorry for you having to deal with that 😔 I obviously won't sway to anything too political on here but the US needs far more worker's rights- corporations should do the right thing of their own accord especially if governments won't set out what is the bare minimum of "workers rights" in situations like these 😔 Do you have a union by any chance? I wish you the best of luck sis!

@soundspretty See this is how a company should run, at least to some extent! I really hope they don't take your vacation pay and instead take from their own massive amounts of profits to pay you if you do need to isolate. That's literally the same as where I work regarding people still coming in, I had an 85 year old man come to my checkout saying he wasn't scared of Coronavirus and wouldn't change his routine but by god did it make me scared for him. But a lot of people have come in saying they're healthy and buying on behalf of elderly and immunocompromised neighbours which gives me some hope for the public!
  • princesspreciousprincessprecious Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    @soundspretty 💕

@snakiekkh Thank you so much for your kind words. All Apple stores are closed, Hollister is too here. Our Primark is closing earlier but not fully. Supermarkets have no food at all, people are literally losing it.
    I'm glad you get to see your partner, hopefully if he stops going to work he still gets paid so you can relax a little bit without having that added stress. And same goes for you if you ever need to message a a stranger, sometimes that's easier 💕

(edit) I've just been told my store will not be closing, my makeup counter is in John Lewis & because we have a Waitrose in store we have to stay open 😩
    @princessprecious gosh round here everything seems to be up and running, I've not been out much besides to work though! Thank you gal, I really appreciate it 💕 Cannot believe they'd keep a makeup counter open with all those testers and surfaces that get so dirty just because of the Waitrose! I doubt hoards of people are going into Estee Lauder or Dior or Chanel counters to only be swayed by a Waitrose- people will obviously know where it is if they're after makeup fgs, that is so unfair on you 😔 Good luck gal!
  • AguadeCocoAguadeCoco Registered Users, Member 962 Posts
    Miyuri said:
    Not touching your face is one of the recommendations but realistically speaking it’s impossible. You’ll always have a nose itch, hair in your eyes or just nervous habits that you’re not thinking of. So because you’re going to touch your face anyway, make sure you do so with hands that are as clean as possible. Always have something to clean yourself after touching stuff in a public space: subway handles, stair guardrail, something in a store… And have some hand lotion ready at home, because the skin of your hands is going to be super tight and flaky after so much washing!
    I capitulated for that part, I don't even realise when I touch my face... but yes to frequent hand washing, hand sanitizer when outside, and lots of hand cream! 
    Android player - AguadeCoco Kkh on Facebook
    🇫🇷  French gal ⛵ Avid sailor 🐱 Cat owner 🍣 Sushi lover 🏛️ Museum worker 
    My vet emailed that they'll begin to do curbside drop off and pickups for pets and I had the best visual of just... handing your dog to the tech through the car window. 
  • elettrahereelettrahere Registered Users, Member 1,920 Posts
    More deaths in Italy than in China... even though it’s 41k cases vs 81k. this is so scary I just wish it could end asap

iOS player 🤠
    #capontrendsetters
    #daily20kstarsforeveryone
    #maledollsmatter
  • gradagrada Registered Users, Member 206 Posts
    @elettrahere How are people in Italy actually dealing with this? Cause I read some articles that some people still don't take this very seriously and don't follow the recommendations but idk how true it is since media like to sometimes twist things. Its weird that in Europe people seem to have hard time following the orders compared to Korea and China, some countries still dont close schools.  I think that's also the reason why it got as bad as it did. We already knew about the virus spreading in Asia but people just didn't care until it got really bad as it seems. I'm kind of frustrated because I think It could have been handled better from the beginning.
                                                                    𝖺𝗇𝖽𝗋𝗈𝗂𝖽 𝗉𝗅𝖺𝗒𝖾𝗋 | 𝖾𝗇𝗀𝗅𝗂𝗌𝗁 𝗂𝗌𝗇'𝗍 𝗆𝗒 𝖿𝗂𝗋𝗌𝗍 𝗅𝖺𝗇𝗀𝗎𝖺𝗀𝖾
  • therealChartherealChar Registered Users, Member 2,714 Posts
    I used to work service in grocery store and most of my good buds from there are forced to work longer hours and short staffed. Its very sad.
  • elettrahereelettrahere Registered Users, Member 1,920 Posts
    @grada I live in the south where the cases are not as many as in the north, but the streets are generally empty. Not everyone, but the vast majority of people does follow the rules. The ones who don’t can either get a fine or even arrested (when they get caught). The only shops open sell primary goods or goods that people who are still working need. Although less and less people are working. Only few people at a time can get into the shops. Restaurants, pubs, bars are closed and in my region not even delivery is allowed. You need a sort of permission to go out if it’s important (food, health etc) - you print it down, fill it up and sign it to show it to the police in case they stop you and ask what you’re doing outside. 
    iOS player 🤠
    #capontrendsetters
    #daily20kstarsforeveryone
    #maledollsmatter
  • lilllylillly Registered Users, Member 72 Posts
    I feel like she does mean well. Seriously though, besides men I don’t know anyone who is not panicking. 
    I need a documentary on the food hoarders. How do they afford it? Credit? Are they going into debt? Where do they even keep all of this stuff? What are their plans for after? Like grocery stores have put up notices they won’t be accepting returns. 
  • thallisathallisa Registered Users 1,384 Posts
    edited March 2020
    I generally dislike when people pressure celebs into donating etc., but seeing these multi millionaires/billionaires preaching how sitting at home "is not that bad" is rubbing me the wrong way. Ofc it's not bad with your huge garden, pool, tennis court and god knows what. I'd live for that kind of quarantine too. Right now we could really use more celebs like Chiara Ferragni and Fedez who started GoFundMe to get more ICU beds in Italy and ofc they made a huge donation themselves. 

So, while I'll appreciate kisses and wishing well, now it's time to be generous. Open your purse, Kimberly!
    Stocking up on fresh/perishable items is the most confusing to me. You can freeze items such as meat but I think a lot of people overestimate how much room they have. Also, if you've never bought something to eat before then why are you buying it now? Because it's there? My normal grocery shopping is for a 2 week span and granted it's just my husband and I but it's really not that much food. 
    I get why soups and cans are gone, but meat doesn’t stay good in a freezer for long. I read most only lasts about 2 weeks. Freezing milk and bread seems unnecessary because how good can it taste in a few weeks? I’ll be getting takeout every night because normally people don’t buy everything off the shelf even in an emergency.