Split for merge

SystemSystem Registered Users 158 Posts
This discussion was created from comments split from: 🎆🎇🍾 KK:H 6Yr Kimiversary Update Thread v11. -It's Here!🎉🍾.

Comments

• kenikkhkenikkh Registered Users, Member 123 Posts
    This likely isn’t the right thread to talk about this but I am continually disappointed by this game and what I actually want to talk about it’s founder Kim herself. I have previously spent money on the game and my god do I regret it I feel honestly disgusted that my money is going into the pocket of a woman who promotes the most vile standards of beauty to such a huge young audience. I’ve been feeling this way for a while but Kim’s recent corset post has really riled me up. One of my family members has an eating disorder she’s only 15 years old and I know how much social media influenced it. Kim is setting damaging body standards and promoting eating disorders to millions of young girls and we have to talk about it. Society wants women to be focused on our weight and the way we look and we can’t let the celebrity’s who promote these disgusting standards for women slide. Every single human being is beautiful I hope no one here ever feels pressured or ashamed of there bodies because of these unrealistic and damaging expectations Kim and society as a whole present to women.
  • kiki_kkiki_k Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    edited June 2020
    kenikkh said:
    This likely isn’t the right thread to talk about this but I am continually disappointed by this game and what I actually want to talk about it’s founder Kim herself. I have previously spent money on the game and my god do I regret it I feel honestly disgusted that my money is going into the pocket of a woman who promotes the most vile standards of beauty to such a huge young audience. I’ve been feeling this way for a while but Kim’s recent corset post has really riled me up. One of my family members has an eating disorder she’s only 15 years old and I know how much social media influenced it. Kim is setting damaging body standards and promoting eating disorders to millions of young girls and we have to talk about it. Society wants women to be focused on our weight and the way we look and we can’t let the celebrity’s who promote these disgusting standards for women slide. Every single human being is beautiful I hope no one here ever feels pressured or ashamed of there bodies because of these unrealistic and damaging expectations Kim and society as a whole present to women.
    Kim can look and dress however she wants? It’s her body and her choice.
  • BeckyTXo1239BeckyTXo1239 Registered Users, Member 452 Posts
    kiki_k said:
    kenikkh said:
    @kiki_k. Yes Kim has every right to wear whatever she want whenever She want but what @kenikkh is trying to say is that Kim is a celebrity with a rather large following online/ on social media and since there are many teenagers using social media nowadays especially young girls, people like Kim who wear corset in order to get curves set a bad example to people who have low self esteem or/ and low self confidence and are unhappy about their bodies. As Kim seen as a role model in our society, no wonder why our society expects so much from women especially when it comes to appearances. Yes Kim has everything right to wear whatever she wants whenever she wants but she is like a role model to what a woman is expected to look. I might not be a mother who has a child but I totally understand what @kenikkh is trying to say since I’m also a teenager who is quite active on social media.
    Sometime I do feel pressured to have a certain ideal body type for my age but im slowly realising that people like Kim who set bad examples/ expectations for young girls should at least consider what they are doing and how they are contributing in the increase of eating disorders in young girl and do something about it rather than continuing what they are doing.
    Ive read several articles about how corsets can be damaging to our body and many of them recommences not to wear them but no thank to Kim and people like her, they just ignore those facts and countless studies about the damagingly effects corsets have in our body.
    i totally agree with @kenikkh

Device: iOS
    Currently at level 36

• kiki_kkiki_k Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    kiki_k said:
    kenikkh said:
    @kiki_k. Yes Kim has every right to wear whatever she want whenever She want but what @kenikkh is trying to say is that Kim is a celebrity with a rather large following online/ on social media and since there are many teenagers using social media nowadays especially young girls, people like Kim who wear corset in order to get curves set a bad example to people who have low self esteem or/ and low self confidence and are unhappy about their bodies. As Kim seen as a role model in our society, no wonder why our society expects so much from women especially when it comes to appearances. Yes Kim has everything right to wear whatever she wants whenever she wants but she is like a role model to what a woman is expected to look. I might not be a mother who has a child but I totally understand what @kenikkh is trying to say since I’m also a teenager who is quite active on social media.
    Sometime I do feel pressured to have a certain ideal body type for my age but im slowly realising that people like Kim who set bad examples/ expectations for young girls should at least consider what they are doing and how they are contributing in the increase of eating disorders in young girl and do something about it rather than continuing what they are doing.
    Ive read several articles about how corsets can be damaging to our body and many of them recommences not to wear them but no thank to Kim and people like her, they just ignore those facts and countless studies about the damagingly effects corsets have in our body.

I’m familiar with this argument but to me it’s a kind of body shaming. Kim is under no obligation to conform to anyone’s expectations about what her body looks like. If you want to point fingers I think it’s better to examine the role that media and advertising play representing different body types. I don’t agree that any one individual be shamed for looking any particular way.
  • AguadeCocoAguadeCoco Registered Users, Member 962 Posts
    @BeckyTXo1239 and @kiki_kyou might want to check Jameela Jamil's latest post on Instagram regarding Kim's corset picture. Jamila says that we shouldn't blame Kim for wearing and displaying the corset because Kim is as much as us trying to replicate an ideal that is rooted deeply in our society. (She explain it much better, go check it!)
    However, we can hold her (and her sisters, and a whole bunch of "influencers" and celebrities) accountable for promoting wrongful products for weight loss (tea, lollipops...). Jamila is dedicated to fight these, and has already managed to block this ads for young people!
    Android player - AguadeCoco Kkh on Facebook
    🇫🇷  French gal ⛵ Avid sailor 🐱 Cat owner 🍣 Sushi lover 🏛️ Museum worker 
  • MistyqueMistyque Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    kiki_k said:
    kiki_k said:
    kenikkh said:

I’m familiar with this argument but to me it’s a kind of body shaming. Kim is under no obligation to conform to anyone’s expectations about what her body looks like. If you want to point fingers I think it’s better to examine the role that media and advertising play representing different body types. I don’t agree that any one individual be shamed for looking any particular way.
    Without going into the argument about Kim I do feel that our dolls' bodies are somewhat unrealistic (the big boobs and tiny waist). I wish dolls represented everybody's bodies! If there was a choice I would make my doll curvier (like I am).
    ****𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓪 𝓫𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝓖𝓛𝓤 𝓭𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓷/𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮. 𝓗𝓪𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓝𝓮𝔀 𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻💋****
    ⭐𝒹𝒶𝒾𝓁𝓎 𝓁𝑜𝑔𝒾𝓃 𝓇𝑒𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈⭐💎𝒹𝒾𝒶𝓂𝑜𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝓋𝑜𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝓃𝓁𝓎💎
  • RachelLiebeRachelLiebe Registered Users, Member 314 Posts
    @BeckyTXo1239 and @kiki_kyou might want to check Jameela Jamil's latest post on Instagram regarding Kim's corset picture. Jamila says that we shouldn't blame Kim for wearing and displaying the corset because Kim is as much as us trying to replicate an ideal that is rooted deeply in our society. (She explain it much better, go check it!)
    However, we can hold her (and her sisters, and a whole bunch of "influencers" and celebrities) accountable for promoting wrongful products for weight loss (tea, lollipops...). Jamila is dedicated to fight these, and has already managed to block this ads for young people!
    I adore Jameela, she’s an absolute icon and I would 100% recommend anyone to follow her for a lot of empowering posts as well as her I Weigh account.
    She’s been doing a lot of work and speaking out over the past few years but being on the good place raised her international audience and has given her a better range of platform.

I’m on IOS, please add me on my new Facebook https://www.facebook.com/christian.kkh
  • foxxymintyfoxxyminty Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    kenikkh said:
    I can see where you're coming, but celebs should'nt be someone's role model. She gets paid to promote things like this. Its not her fault if somebody took her post the wrong way. Body acceptance shouldnt be coming from a celebrity. It is something that should be from your home.
  • umakkh98umakkh98 Registered Users, Member 7 Posts

The families denial of plastic surgery is harmful. She can do what she want but to deny she’s ever had surgery when her body (huge bum with tiny legs) is not achievable without surgery, and her face has at the very least has filler in there is dishonest and setting an unrealistic standard. She’s also been caught Facetuning her pictures countless times as has every woman in the Kardashian/Jenner family. There’s been sooooo many studies on how harmful seeing Facetuned picture after facetuned picture is for young girls and women and how it negatively affects their self image and esteem and can trigger or contribute to the development of eating disorders. She’s contributing to that to an audience of millions. She can get as much surgery as she likes - but to post pictures of her surgically enhanced and facetuned body & pretend that’s her natural body is measurably harmful. Yes she’s a victim of unrealistic ideals and standards too but she’s in her 30’s with millions of young fans so should be doing the self reflection etc etc necessary to not continue to contribute to that cycle. 

• thesweetonethesweetone Registered Users, Member 3,015 Posts

I see where @kenikkh is coming from. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Bo be honest, I don't quite understand why saying "Kim wearing a corset is creating an unattainable body standard" is body shaming. Corset isn't a part of her body, it's something she can take off at the end of the day..? 

To me it looks like a post that says that we need to hold celebrities accountable for the message they put out there and what they promote.
    Now, I wouldn't say that Kim is necessarily promoting corsets by wearing them, but she puts out a certain message to her audience.

I don't think anyone should follow what she (or any Instagram celeb for that matter) do.
    They're not icons to look up to, they're just salespeople on the Internet. They will sell to you whatever if it makes them a quick buck (Kylie and her walnut scrub, Khloe and her tummy teas, etc.)

It may come across harsh, but it's true. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    The problem isn't Kim wearing a corset, it's that we look up to these people in the first place. 

• danjames12danjames12 Registered Users, Member 518 Posts
    edited June 2020
    To be honest the fact it’s about a corset (an item of clothing that has existed for centuries) just highlights the real problem here all together 

and that’s just universal unrealistic standards of beauty. These problems predate Kim, they predate Instagram, they predate tv, magazines, film etc. I don’t think it’s fair to lump it onto specific individuals when It’s been part of our culture or the western culture at least (don’t want to speak for anywhere else) for SO MANY YEARS. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with their denial of plastic surgery, or their sales of diet teas etc. But I also don’t think it’s fair to act like she’s the start and end of this problem, because it’s so much more than that.
    iOS player...used to play when the game first came out!! Flash forward about five different dolls and here we are.
    Playing this doll since January 2020, and doubt I’ll be changing again! (Unless I quit because sys is a joke and I’m really starting to loose the fun in this game ✌🏼❌)
    edited June 2020
    What is harmful in the Kardashian way is promoting something false, like the infamous teas and lollipops that makes you thin by making you sh*t like hell, and like you can't have a body like theirs without spending millions.

This is why altered pictures are also harmful, because it's simply not true.

Wearing a corset is damaging because she makes it look like it's easy and comfortable, but I guess it depends 🤷‍♀️
  • BeckyTXo1239BeckyTXo1239 Registered Users, Member 452 Posts
    edited June 2020

Bo be honest, I don't quite understand why saying "Kim wearing a corset is creating an unattainable body standard" is body shaming. Corset isn't a part of her body, it's something she can take off at the end of the day..? 

To me it looks like a post that says that we need to hold celebrities accountable for the message they put out there and what they promote.
    Now, I wouldn't say that Kim is necessarily promoting corsets by wearing them, but she puts out a certain message to her audience.

I don't think anyone should follow what she (or any Instagram celeb for that matter) do.
    They're not icons to look up to, they're just salespeople on the Internet. They will sell to you whatever if it makes them a quick buck (Kylie and her walnut scrub, Khloe and her tummy teas, etc.)

The problem isn't Kim wearing a corset, it's that we look up to these people in the first place. 

This is what i was trying to say earlier.
    I do apologise for what’s i say as it could have been misinterpreted by some of you guys. I’m not here to body shame Kim or any celebrity like her nor point fingers at them, and i honestly think the main problem is the fact that we look up to them and they are well know in our society and not that they wear corset or have plastic surgery.
    Device: iOS
    Currently at level 36

• thesweetonethesweetone Registered Users, Member 3,015 Posts

This is what i was trying to say earlier.
    I do apologise for what’s i say as it could have been misinterpreted by some of you guys. I’m not here to body shame Kim or any celebrity like her nor point fingers are them, and i honestly think the main problem is the fact that we look up to them and they are well know in our society and not that they wear corset or have plastic surgery.
    It's all good! ❤️
  • SystemSystem Registered Users 158 Posts
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 🎆🎇🍾 KK:H 6Yr Kimiversary Update Thread v11. -It's Here!🎉🍾.
  • buriteriburiteri Registered Users, Member 485 Posts
    I’m such a big advocate for body positivity and self confidence. If you dolls don’t mind, here are my two cents. 

From a young age, I’ve been countlessly been shamed for my body. For years, I have been constantly bombarded with pictures of perfect bodies posted all over social media in addition to my own father shaming me for the way that I looked. And I let myself believe him and social media that how I looked was wrong. I tried protein shakes and muscle building exercises and rigorous workouts and even had a phase where I was binge eating to get the body I thought I wanted when in reality, it was the body they wanted for me. It’s taken me my entire adolescent and teenage years to combat his voice and others and especially my own and let myself be myself. I don’t have to have bulging muscles and rippling abs to be what “society” thinks “men” should look like. That I can be slim and a little pudgy in some places and that I should express my femininity without fear of prejudice. Okay, maybe having a male physique and structure is different. I understand that women have it harsher than men. However, after all of my experiences, I’ve come to the firm belief that people should do whatever it is they’d like to do with their bodies. 

That being said, before you do any altering to your body, look inwards first and really evaluate what really makes up self worth. What really truly counts. Realize that the only opinion that should ever matter to you is your own. When you come to place where you’re comfortable with yourself, do what you want to do but if you actually want it. It’s okay to want to look a certain way but only do it if you genuinely want it and not because “society” or whoever is pressuring you to do so.

Do you want to wear a corset? Go for it! Research the proper way to wear one because contrary to what many will tell you, it’s not as harmful as you may think if you wear it properly. (Search up Bernadette Banner on YouTube, a fashion historian who has covered this topic. Also check out Karolina Zebrowska’s video on corsets). 

Do you want to diet to be slimmer/build muscle/get a curvier figure/etc? Go for it! Just do your research and consult dietitians and other health professionals on how you can achieve your body goal safely and properly.

What I’ve learned and what I’m trying to convey is that everyone, including celebrities like Kim, all have the right to express their bodies and change it just as long as they’re aware of the consequences of their actions and don’t only focus on the aesthetic benefits. I also want to make it perfectly clear that I am not defending these celebrities because I believe that anyone in the public eye has in some way, shape or form perpetuated some form of “beauty standard”. But they’re also just people who want to look and feel beautiful. And I don’t think it’s fair to blame them because they’re just trying to do what they want to do as well. It’s up to ourselves if we succumb to these standards or rise out on top and find out true beauty.

I am so so glad we were able to open up a conversation about this. I understand everyone’s point of view and I totally agree that no we shouldn’t look up to celebrities in this way but unfortunately this is the reality. Kim has a huge platform and unfortunately wether she intends it or not she is promoting unrealistic body standards. We can’t expect 12 year olds and 13 year olds to understand that this isn’t healthy there minds are still developing and images like these have proven to have insanely damaging effects of young people’s mental health.
    Sorry, this is getting long and I know it’s not really adding two cents anymore and it’s more like a dollar but just another thing 🙈

The world is so large and so vast yet at the same time, because of the internet, so small. We have to understand that so many standards exist all around the world. Not just societal standards but also personal preference. French people have different standards from Brazilians. The Chinese prefer things maybe the Canadians don’t like. Indonesians have their own trends and so do those in Nigeria. My best friend prefers nude lipstick while I prefer warm pinks and oranges. This point I’m trying to convey is that you’ll always find someone who will value you you for what you have. Of course that’s not to mean that you should vie for their approval because again, your own opinion of yourself matters the most. What I mean is, is that you can’t please or agree with everyone but there will always be someone there for you. (That first person should be yourself of course but I understand, it does feel nice to have somebody who can relate).

So sorry for the super long post 🙈 Body image and advocacy is a topic I’ll forever engage in. I hope I got my message out respectfully. Thank you!
    I just want to say thank you to everyone for being open about having a discussion on this I was slightly worried it would be swept under the rug. I understand it can be easy to say that Kim can do whatever she wants with her body because yes she 100% can but when what she is doing with her body is promoting a standard to young girls that they will never achieve we must hold her accountable for this. If Kim isn’t going to do it we have to do our bit to show these young people that every single body is beautiful and not just the ones they see plastered over social media.
    OMG I’m making this so long I’m so sorry!! But I just really want to commend @kenikkh for opening this topic up. I’m so passionate about this and hearing about your family member broke my heart because I was at that stage 7 years ago when I was 15 myself. While I firmly believe celebrities have every right to express themselves the way they want to, young minds are still impressionable. It’s our job to be the real life role models for them and I really sincerely hope that your family member finds their worth. Sending much love 💖
    @buriteri I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been through a similar thing I know how awful it is I truly hope you are much better now and recognise your own beauty. And I agree completely if celebrities aren’t going to talk about this we need to talk to our familys and friends about body positivity and loving the skin you are in ❤️❤️
    Thank you @buriteri for your "two cents" about this topic! I enjoyed reading all your thoughts and I can only agree with what you said 😘

I'm working my family for a more open mind on body image and bodies in general, eating & dieting, and a whole lot of subjects! It's hard work but good work :)