šŸŽ†āœØv11.7Update - New Year ~ New You! Welcome 2021!šŸŽŠšŸø

Comments

• naeustsnaeusts Registered Users, Member 402 Posts
    munimuni said:
    naeusts said:Ā 
    I'm just gonna say that this is a genuine question and not a shade or something like this: we know and talked about it the other day, that certain types of hairstyles, used on white people, are cultural appropriation and I support that. In this case, if I find it very beautiful and I want to use it, is it wrong for me to change my doll's skin tone to black and finally be able to use it on her? Because I think this is kinda the point for some people to want to change their dolls and be able to style them in a way that they think is most pretty.
    Iā€™m curious too! I grew up playing with barbies and bratz of different races, and I see my doll as something similar to a Barbie and/or Bratz. My doll doesnā€™t even have a proper name nor does she look like me (currently using blonde hair and blue eyes) Iā€™m pale asf in real life and mestiza (Filipino & Spanish). I havenā€™t really change her skin tone much (aside from being the pales tan in tropical themes) since Idk if itā€™ll be okay since other dolls voiced that itā€™s not okay. I honestly play this game for styling, since I like giving friends makeovers and stuff. I also really want to branch out to trying out styling different races (not to fit a certain theme) but to play around with features and hair for diversity. Ā 
    Throughout my adolescent-adult life I have always tried to learn more and clear my doubts about the subject and I like to hear people talk because it is something that I will never feel myself. So when they say it's something, we have to believe and respect it, even tho its in a game.
  • deliqhteddeliqhted Registered Users, Member 226 Posts
    Victorian said:
    @uglyjackie ok so I am going to enlighten you about the past tea: I was a covet player before kkh and after drooping covet, corona happened and I started playing kkh. In covet, you are encouraged to change your doll's skin tone and ethnicity according to challenge. There have been so much drama in the past because of players in classic mode submitting white dolls during black themes like aretha Franklin impersonation etc. In classic mode you can change your skin all you want but covet's modern mode doesn't let you change your doll's ethnicity or body shape, you are assigned a specific doll out of god knows how much dolls and you have to work with it. I played covet in modern mode because I liked the diversity, same appearance all the time bores me but even if I played in classic mode, we would change skin tones and hair colors often. When I started kkh my years of playing covet habits kicked in and I never tried to limit my doll with one single ethnicity. She was white, sometimes asian, sometimes black. Char is trying to joke about that I guess but honestly, I don't have to justify my playing habits to a stranger online. I will continue to do what I always do. If you check the other thread, I explained this to booski before because she sounded geniunely curious.

Edited because it came off too agressive which is not my thing šŸ’•
    Iā€™m a covet player, and youā€™re encouraged to change the dolls ethnicity to match the challenge and picture because some challenges are about specific races and ethnicities (for example itā€™ll say ā€œStyle a look for an African Warrior.ā€ So of course youā€™d use a black doll) But itā€™s completely different here because usually your doll is based on YOU, on Covet the doll is based on the challenge. We havenā€™t had any SYS based on ethnicities or races so it doesnā€™t make sense why you would make your doll black. And I know ppl are gonna say ā€œits just a game,ā€ but please understand that if given the chance irl you would absolutely never choose to be black.
  • LisylisLisylis Registered Users 931 Posts
    naeusts said:
    I'm just gonna say that this is a genuine question and not a shade or something like this: we know and talked about it the other day, that certain types of hairstyles, used on white people, are cultural appropriation and I support that. In this case, if I find it very beautiful and I want to use it, is it wrong for me to change my doll's skin tone to black and finally be able to use it on her? Because I think this is kinda the point for some people to want to change their dolls and be able to style them in a way that they think is most pretty.

Generally if you're worried that something you're interested in doing could be perceived as racist, thats a sign that it's probably a bit racist and it'd be a good idea to avoid it. This sounds like I'm trying to be a dick lol but I'm just saying your instincts are probably pretty good and if there's something you're having second thoughts about there's probably a reason for that
  • mschocalatedropmschocalatedrop Registered Users, Member 7 Posts
    naeusts said:
    munimuni said:
    Iā€™m curious too! I grew up playing with barbies and bratz of different races, and I see my doll as something similar to a Barbie and/or Bratz. My doll doesnā€™t even have a proper name nor does she look like me (currently using blonde hair and blue eyes) Iā€™m pale asf in real life and mestiza (Filipino & Spanish). I havenā€™t really change her skin tone much (aside from being the pales tan in tropical themes) since Idk if itā€™ll be okay since other dolls voiced that itā€™s not okay. I honestly play this game for styling, since I like giving friends makeovers and stuff. I also really want to branch out to trying out styling different races (not to fit a certain theme) but to play around with features and hair for diversity. Ā 
    Throughout my adolescent-adult life I have always tried to learn more and clear my doubts about the subject and I like to hear people talk because it is something that I will never feel myself. So when they say it's something, we have to believe and respect it, even tho its in a game.

donā€™t be shy fix youā€™re wording. you donā€™t ā€œhaveā€ to do anything. if youā€™re not understanding jus say that luv. and for most even if it is in a game we are experiencing the same thing in our daily lives. you may not be able to take that in consideration cause after all youā€™re not one of us. no disrespect but all disrespect. x
    munimuni said:
    I genuinely do not understand why you white dolls feel the need to change your dolls skin tone to use the black hairstyles. It took YEARS for black dolls to get their skin tone with this update. Its EXTREMELY difficult to obtain POC hairstyles. You guys have so much representation in this game its disgusting that you feel the need and want to change your skin tone. Its a disgrace. Some dolls, including me, still donā€™t have that representation like that. Its disgusting and these questions should no longer be asked.
    I think this questions are important so we can learn about things we dont know and not make mistakes like this. I completly agree with everything you said that you finally have your representations and that its yours. I'm not black but I'm defnetly not white to, but even so, its not my place of speech. I know that it must be terrible to keep saying over and over again theĀ same stuffĀ so thank you for explain to us.
  • meritedkkhmeritedkkh Registered Users, Member 673 Posts
    naeusts said:
    munimuni said:
    You are so shady and Iā€™m tired of it. Stop playing the ā€œoh no i didnā€™t mean it like that teehee it was a genuine question šŸ„°ā€ card. ā€œEven tho its in a gameā€. Can you not? Thatā€™s so shady and youā€™re slick or sly. Itā€™s not giving what you think i itā€™s giving.Ā 
  • mschocalatedropmschocalatedrop Registered Users, Member 7 Posts
    naeusts said:
    munimuni said:
    I genuinely do not understand why you white dolls feel the need to change your dolls skin tone to use the black hairstyles. It took YEARS for black dolls to get their skin tone with this update. Its EXTREMELY difficult to obtain POC hairstyles. You guys have so much representation in this game its disgusting that you feel the need and want to change your skin tone. Its a disgrace. Some dolls, including me, still donā€™t have that representation like that. Its disgusting and these questions should no longer be asked.
    I think this questions are important so we can learn about things we dont know and not make mistakes like this. I completly agree with everything you said that you finally have your representations and that its yours. I'm not black but I'm defnetly not white to, but even so, its not my place of speech. I know that it must be terrible to keep saying over and over again theĀ same stuffĀ so thank you for explain to us.
    if yu donā€™t understand what weā€™re trying to get through to yu and a bunch of other dolls jus say that šŸƒšŸ½ā€ā™€ļø we wonā€™t judge.
  • meritedkkhmeritedkkh Registered Users, Member 673 Posts
    naeusts said:
    munimuni said:
    You are so shady and Iā€™m tired of it. Stop playing the ā€œoh no i didnā€™t mean it like that teehee it was a genuine question šŸ„°ā€ card. ā€œEven tho its in a gameā€. Can you not? Thatā€™s so shady and youā€™re slick or sly. Itā€™s not giving what you think i itā€™s giving.Ā 
    Honestly,Ā @naeusts andĀ @munimuni , are trying to be respectful and asking genuine questions on why this is not okay to the POC community. It can't be assumed that everyone has seen all the discussion about this subject throughout the forum. I feel like this is suppose to be a safe space to ask these questions and @naeusts is trying to learn and apologize and agree with all of you. I'm not sure that you invalidating her appreciation for the education is very nice.Ā 
    Like I said previously, it was shady. It was perfectly fine until the last line. Weā€™ve explained multiple times why itā€™s offensive but the same questions keep getting asked and at this point, like I said, itā€™s tiring.Ā 
    naeusts said:
    munimuni said:
    Its really difficult talk in the internet in another lenguage and try to ask questions about things with people that I dont know. If there is one thing I'm not is shady. I think we have to stop attacking each other all the time in here, its such a good place to escape from all the bad things that is happening in the world and try to make good connections.
  • AcelineAceline Registered Users, Member 16 Posts
    Our artists are designing more items than ever before! We'll continue offering the same number of event prizes and free gifts. The diamond items are available in addition to all the other items in the game and it's totally optional to buy items that cost diamonds. If you just want to play for the event earnables, that's cool! As soon as there's a new way to earn more diamonds in the game, I'll let you know! Regarding Show Your Style, it's possible to run the events all the time now, including the week of new update releases.
    So there is a possibility that we could get a new way to earn Diamonds?! šŸ‘€ I can't wait to see this play outĀ 
  • charlottegoldcharlottegold Registered Users, Member 1,991 Posts
    naeusts said:
    naeusts said:
    I'm just gonna say that this is a genuine question and not a shade or something like this: we know and talked about it the other day, that certain types of hairstyles, used on white people, are cultural appropriation and I support that. In this case, if I find it very beautiful and I want to use it, is it wrong for me to change my doll's skin tone to black and finally be able to use it on her?
    yu had the right idea babes āœ‹šŸ¾ jus because yu think that if yu make your doll black itā€™s finally ok to us the hairstyles itā€™s not šŸ›Œ it is offensive. POC finally have representation in the game and now all the white dolls want to change their dolls to black. all due respect itā€™s not for you and never will be for you.Ā 
    Like I said, it was a real question and I really want to learn more about this. I myself never did it out of respect, in the game or real life even tho I love it, but never heard for someone what they really felt about it
    I think @mschocalatedrop nailed it and I am white so likely canā€™t contribute anything to the discussion. But the way I see it is skin color is not a choice and you changing your doll to dark skinned to wear other outfits is really tone deaf and looks like youā€™re assuming dark skin for the convenience of being able to wear other things which isnā€™t okay.Ā 
  • charlottegoldcharlottegold Registered Users, Member 1,991 Posts
    Aceline said:
    Our artists are designing more items than ever before! We'll continue offering the same number of event prizes and free gifts. The diamond items are available in addition to all the other items in the game and it's totally optional to buy items that cost diamonds. If you just want to play for the event earnables, that's cool! As soon as there's a new way to earn more diamonds in the game, I'll let you know! Regarding Show Your Style, it's possible to run the events all the time now, including the week of new update releases.
    So there is a possibility that we could get a new way to earn Diamonds?! šŸ‘€ I can't wait to see this play outĀ 
    No lmao thatā€™s just what Kalinda says. She also has said ā€œIā€™ll let you know when things change about SYS!!ā€ Itā€™s total lipservice.Ā 
  • munimunimunimuni Registered Users, Member 133 Posts
    edited January 2021
    munimuni said:
    Iā€™m sorry if my comment came off that way and I can see why it was taken that way. I didnā€™t mean it. I just wanted to ask, because I was genuinely curious.

To clarify, I donā€™t have or use POC hairstyles on my game, and I donā€™t chase them either if they were earnables or prizes. I havenā€™t changed my dolls skin tone nor have I submitted a doll who was black.Ā 

I was just asking about styling a black doll to take a picture of the style but not deliberately choosing a black doll just to put on a POC hairstyle on her or to submit her in certain themes. Just to style her clothing wise and makeup wise (ei. Lolita fashion, punk, gothic, and other styles)

Again, Iā€™m sorry if my question came of that way and wasnā€™t my intention at all.Ā 

And Iā€™d just want to respectfully disagree about asking questions abt these types of hard topics because this is how people learn in my opinion. Mostly from other people who are directly affected by an issue (and since my research about the topic about having a POC doll is limited and mentions the encouragement of having diversity in dolls) but again other people affected think otherwise (and i agree that we shouldnā€™t pick a POC doll just to put on an hairstyle but I just wanted to hear your side about the topic to give me more perspective about styling (clothing and makeup on a black doll)) Again Iā€™m sorry and I should have been more mindful about my question.Ā 

Iā€™m also happy for POC dolls getting the representation theyā€™ve been asking for for years.Ā 

Edit: also my original comment about hair wasnā€™t directly about POC hair but all the hairs I have now (short hair, the ponytail with weird bangs, and the like cause they may look diff with diff features )again sorry it came off that way I should have been more mindful and understand why my comment could have been taken that way. Itā€™s hard to have a proper convo over text and the intent could also be taken wrong.
  • rellbellerellbelle Registered Users, Member 250 Posts
    Absolutely livid they made the new tattoos diamond items šŸ˜© Iā€™ve been waiting for chest/thigh/lower arm tattoos to match myself, right now i have 0 diamonds i think Iā€™m gonna try to save up for at least the chest one. šŸ„ŗ

In other news I had exactly 60 k-stars, Iā€™m obsessed with this dress šŸ˜

• MariaakkhMariaakkh Registered Users, Member 405 Posts
    @charlottegold Whatā€™s funny about my post? šŸ¤ØšŸ¤”
    munimuni said:
    munimuni said:
    Iā€™m sorry if my comment came off that way and I can see why it was taken that way. I didnā€™t mean it. I just wanted to ask, because I was genuinely curious.

To clarify, I donā€™t have or use POC hairstyles on my game, and I donā€™t chase them either if they were earnables or prizes. I havenā€™t changed my dolls skin tone nor have I submitted a doll who was black.Ā 

I was just asking about styling a black doll to take a picture of the style but not deliberately choosing a black doll just to put on a POC hairstyle on her or to submit her in certain themes. Just to style her clothing wise and makeup wise (ei. Lolita fashion, punk, gothic, and other styles)

Again, Iā€™m sorry if my question came of that way and wasnā€™t my intention at all.Ā 

And Iā€™d just want to respectfully disagree about asking questions abt these types of hard topics because this is how people learn in my opinion. Mostly from other people who are directly affected by an issue (and since my research about the topic about having a POC doll is limited and mentions the encouragement of having diversity in dolls) but again other people affected think otherwise (and i agree that we shouldnā€™t pick a POC doll just to put on an hairstyle but I just wanted to hear your side about the topic to give me more perspective about styling (clothing and makeup on a black doll)) Again Iā€™m sorry and I should have been more mindful about my question.Ā 

Iā€™m also happy for POC dolls getting the representation theyā€™ve been asking for for years.Ā 
    That's what I'm talking about. And sorry for my communications skills, for me its really hard to type in english what I want to say, and I trully respect everyone in here.
  • brunakkhbrunakkh Registered Users, Member 1,307 Posts
    @ashleymedds Im so sorry I didnt catch the joke, doll šŸ˜© but you are so right, if glu gives us a new way to earn diamonds it will certainly have a catchĀ 
    IOS player
    šŸŒø be nice to each other šŸŒø
    JennKKH said:
    As a BIPOC ally, I realized last year that I could always do more to educate myself on racism and the battle BIPOC fight everyday on inequality. Itā€™s not the responsibility of a fellow BIPOC doll to educate you on cultural appropriation and why they feel so hurt when you are using their hairstyles and skin tones on your doll.Ā 

Here are some books and Instagram accounts that I found helpful, I encourage everyone to look into them:

Books
    Iā€™m Still Here by Austin Channing Brown
    Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
    Why Iā€™m No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

IG Accounts
    munroebergdorf
    courtneyahndesign
    yourrightscamp
    Thank you for this!
  • Ritika_beeRitika_bee Registered Users, Member 79 Posts
    Thanks for the new skin tones. I finally can match it to my IRL skintone. āœØāœØ
  • LisylisLisylis Registered Users 931 Posts
    munimuni said:
    munimuni said:

Edit: also my original comment about hair wasnā€™t directly about POC hair but all the hairs I have now (short hair, the ponytail with weird bangs, and the like cause they may look diff with diff features )again sorry it came off that way I should have been more mindful and understand why my comment could have been taken that way. Itā€™s hard to have a proper convo over text and the intent could also be taken wrong.
    I just wanted to speak to your point about these kind of discussions being a learning experience for people on the forum - while this may benefit white people it does also place a huge burden on people of colour (mostly black) who have to keep explaining this. This isn't really a 'no dumb questions' type of place to find out more about race issues so I think its probably better to try to find out more about this topic somewhere else rather than here.
  • kenzakkhkenzakkh Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    I loved some of the new diamond kloset items when they first came out yesterday, but after having another look at them and seeing how theyā€™ve been released basically specifically for the sys they seem really gimicky šŸ„“ i guess thatā€™s the point but atleast itā€™ll save me a few diamonds šŸ™ˆ
    @Lisylis I understand that after taking a step back and rereading my comment. Sometimes I want to hit myself with my curiosity and not thinking before posting. I just wanted to ask at that time because the research I made about it and the my POC friends told me it was okay (refer to my clarification about my question) and only realized after I posted it that it may affect POC dolls badly (sorry Iā€™m kinda out of it from the meds I took and took the convo as my friends and I talking) Again, Iā€™d like to sincerely apologize to the POC dolls that were hurt about our comments/questions.
  • haylow71haylow71 Registered Users, Member 248 Posts

I just find it ridiculous that every week people ask the same question about POC. It is already hard to get POC items as it is.We are trying to educate people about it and yet, it is the same question every week. It is honestly tiring and it feels like we are talking to a brick wall.šŸ„“

edited January 2021
    munimuni said:
    @Lisylis I understand that after taking a step back and rereading my comment. Sometimes I want to hit myself with my curiosity and not thinking before posting. I just wanted to ask at that time because the research I made about it and the my POC friends told me it was okay (refer to my clarification about my question) and only realized after I posted it that it may affect POC dolls badly (sorry Iā€™m kinda out of it from the meds I took and took the convo as my friends and I talking) Again, Iā€™d like to sincerely apologize to the POC dolls that were hurt about our comments/questions.
    Me too. It wasn't even me who was changing the skin color and I shouldn't have been in a conversation that I wasn't even in it the first place. Its beem a while that I've been misunderstood in here and I'm really sad about that. I'm not a shady person or rude, and I'll do better with my englishĀ  communication next time.
  • AriDollAriDoll Registered Users, Member 147 Posts
    About punishing dolls with diamond items... Iā€™ve saved up diamonds in order to buy items.Ā You donā€™t know whoā€™s literally saved them up or bought the pack (which I did a while ago, and I refuse to now). Just because I want a throwback item (like the lips that recently went on for diamonds) I donā€™t think should mean I get punished for it..! Even dolls with past items, you donā€™t know if they got the item with kstars or diamonds. To me it doesnā€™t make sense, it will not change Glu, but do what you want because thatā€™s your choice! I just donā€™t think itā€™s going to help by punishing other players (my opinion and choice, not anyone elseā€™s). And I will choose to vote for on theme looks with or without diamond items.
    iOS user!Ā