🗳️❤️SYS 2/22/21 Love Yourself! ❤️

Comments

• KkhElenaKkhElena Registered Users, Member 768 Posts
    edited February 2021
    Koakuma said:
    I dont agree at all that dressing up a character to be black is harmless. White ppl have a history of taking from us and we are perceived as ghetto and unprofessional while they are seen has trendy cool hip. Its why so many ppl pay big money to get big lips and butts yet blck women are frowned and looked down on. Ive had too many run ins with features i was made to feel bad about being used cause its popular that my opinion on it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Call me dense but I don't see how "no you can't wear it" would help this situation? I'd think it would be the opposite, black hairstyles being more popular would it make it easier for actually black people to live their lives without facing anyone's bullshit. 
    Not the same thing, yeah, I know, but I remember being called a weirdo and a potential school shooter when I was a teenager because of my tastes in media. What shut people up was said media getting popular and therefore hard to make negative associations with.
    I guess that's why I can't really see the point in these types of discussions, it feels counterproductive to keep people apart 
    I'm sorry but allowing everyone to wear everyone's culture won't automatically mean that they're gonna respect us or for that matter the culture. Rewarding them and expecting them to respect us is something I'll never really understand. I highly doubt that us all of a sudden giving our culture and the importance away is gonna make the problem vanish (that didn't start from our culture but our skin)
    Especially if it's gonna give Jafar Stefferson look alike in term of personality to go back to their old ways
  • goodjucegoodjuce Registered Users, Member 97 Posts
    Koakuma said:
    I dont agree at all that dressing up a character to be black is harmless. White ppl have a history of taking from us and we are perceived as ghetto and unprofessional while they are seen has trendy cool hip. Its why so many ppl pay big money to get big lips and butts yet blck women are frowned and looked down on. Ive had too many run ins with features i was made to feel bad about being used cause its popular that my opinion on it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Call me dense but I don't see how "no you can't wear it" would help this situation? I'd think it would be the opposite, black hairstyles being more popular would it make it easier for actually black people to live their lives without facing anyone's bullshit. 
    Not the same thing, yeah, I know, but I remember being called a weirdo and a potential school shooter when I was a teenager because of my tastes in media. What shut people up was said media getting popular and therefore hard to make negative associations with.
    I guess that's why I can't really see the point in these types of discussions, it feels counterproductive to keep people apart 
    hmm, so what you're saying is if black hairstyles were accessible to people of all races there would be less discrimination and racism against black people? 
  • KoakumaKoakuma Registered Users 791 Posts
    KkhElena said:
    Koakuma said:

I'm sorry but allowing everyone to wear everyone's culture won't automatically mean that they're gonna respect us or for that matter the culture. Rewarding them and expecting them to respect us is something I'll never really understand. I highly doubt that us all of a sudden giving our culture and the importance away is gonna make the problem (that didn't start from our culture but our skin)

I wouldn't say it's respect exactly that would be the outcome, more like just to stop being othered
    edited February 2021
    Koakuma said:
    KkhElena said:
    Koakuma said:

I'm sorry but allowing everyone to wear everyone's culture won't automatically mean that they're gonna respect us or for that matter the culture. Rewarding them and expecting them to respect us is something I'll never really understand. I highly doubt that us all of a sudden giving our culture and the importance away is gonna make the problem (that didn't start from our culture but our skin)

I wouldn't say it's respect exactly that would be the outcome, more like just to stop being othered
    But that means we're skipping the whole process and they surely get the reward while we're left in the corner wondering if it's gonna work. Sorry but I still don't see how rewarding them for their ignorance is gonna work especially considering that there are legit non POC who have been fighting for us for most of their life without expecting some kind of reward
    goodjuce said:
    Koakuma said:

hmm, so what you're saying is if black hairstyles were accessible to people of all races there would be less discrimination and racism against black people? 
    In a way? Appearance isn't the only factor in racism so it wouldn't be a game changer
    But no one would bat an eye at what you're wearing at least
  • goodjucegoodjuce Registered Users, Member 97 Posts
    Koakuma said:
    goodjuce said:
    Koakuma said:

In a way? Appearance isn't the only factor in racism so it wouldn't be a game changer
    uhm racism is the prejudice, discrimination or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of membership of a particular racial or ethnic group. racism stems from there BEING a difference in appearance, which incudes skin tone and hair texture! but anyway i'm done talking about this. 

if you're a non-poc and you're changing your skin tone in the game just bc it's black history month, shame on you, that is not showing solidarity or being an ally! i said what i said.
  • pristinepersonpristineperson Registered Users, Member 2,659 Posts
    I believe I spotted @meritedkkh ❤️

goodjuce said:
    Koakuma said:
    goodjuce said:
    Koakuma said:

uhm racism is the prejudice, discrimination or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of membership of a particular racial or ethnic group. racism stems from there BEING a difference in appearance, which incudes skin tone and hair texture! but anyway i'm done talking about this. 

if you're a non-poc and you're changing your skin tone in the game just bc it's black history month, shame on you, that is not showing solidarity or being an ally! i said what i said.
    IWhat I mean is, even if the hairstyle prejudice was resolved, there are too many racist beliefs and stereotypes that have to do with behavior, education, manner of speech, social status that would not be affected by it. It runs too deep to pretend that just appearances will fix it.
    bryonyc said:
    Can I just say, I’ve been a lurker and occasional commenter of the forum for a while now. This sys is all about self love and I have never seen as much hate, arguing and general distaste to each other than on this particular forum/subject chat whatever it may be. I appreciate everyone has different options on changing dolls skin tone (I agree we shouldn’t change skin tones according to sys events but it is a game. Not real life and if people do change skin tones it isn’t for racial, cultural reasons. Most likely to be due to the fact certain skin tones flop in the voting booth depending on the event (it’s wrong, but true), to how hard we are chasing the prizes.. but this is a game. Simply a game. If a ‘white doll’ wants to chase poc hairstyle why not? I know we all have different hair types but no one goes after poc who have their hair relaxed in real life or goes after them for chasing a ‘white’ style of hair? I for one have rocked braids, dreads as well as straight, slicked back, and any style of hair I have taken a liking too; regardless of the where the hairstyle originates from, if I liked it... I rocked it. I just wish we could all show a little respect to each other and our individual styles. We should be supporting each other, not tearing each other down and arguing over anything and everything. 
    You know? I'm tired. Like physically, mentally and emotionally. Y'all wanna gloss over the reasons of us being upset be my guest. Let's forget the pain, the fact that games can influence so much and let's forget the people who are upset. Let's do that bc there's literally about 7+ pages as to why we're uncomfortable/upset yet here we are w the same old 'I don't understand why you guys are overreacting'. I completely give up on trying to imprint why it's not easy to accept that what you were made fun of (and even worse) is now suddenly an f internet trend. Call me when you've done actual research and are trying to actually listen instead of giving excuses
  • katiekittykatiekitty Registered Users, Member 62 Posts
    As a white person I just want to apologize to all the POC (who’s had to explain themselves multiple times now) for the audacity of some other fellow white people. I wish we could just all agree that if a POC says something is offensive & wrong, it is offensive and not a subject of debate where POC constantly need to justify their feelings & experiences
  • meritedkkhmeritedkkh Registered Users, Member 673 Posts
    I believe I spotted @meritedkkh ❤️

this is me!! 💕 tysm for spotting me. 
  • kkhsweetkkhsweet Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    edited February 2021
    bryonyc said:
    Can I just say, I’ve been a lurker and occasional commenter of the forum for a while now. This sys is all about self love and I have never seen as much hate, arguing and general distaste to each other than on this particular forum/subject chat whatever it may be. I appreciate everyone has different options on changing dolls skin tone (I agree we shouldn’t change skin tones according to sys events but it is a game. Not real life and if people do change skin tones it isn’t for racial, cultural reasons. Most likely to be due to the fact certain skin tones flop in the voting booth depending on the event (it’s wrong, but true), to how hard we are chasing the prizes.. but this is a game. Simply a game. If a ‘white doll’ wants to chase poc hairstyle why not? I know we all have different hair types but no one goes after poc who have their hair relaxed in real life or goes after them for chasing a ‘white’ style of hair? I for one have rocked braids, dreads as well as straight, slicked back, and any style of hair I have taken a liking too; regardless of the where the hairstyle originates from, if I liked it... I rocked it. I just wish we could all show a little respect to each other and our individual styles. We should be supporting each other, not tearing each other down and arguing over anything and everything. 
    So I’m guessing that you don’t know what privilege is? Like white privilege? Or the fact that genetics and culture are two different things? Not expecting to considering that you’re glossing over everything everyone said and implying that they’re overreacting. Ah isn’t it beautiful how my pain and bullying and protection of my culture means that I’m overreacting? Or that you’re trying to point the finger acting as if there aren’t POC w straight hair? Or the worse fact that you can’t even address us properly? This situation is mostly about black people and our shared culture w other races. If u wanna treat it as a trend be my guest. It’s obvious none of you are actually listening bc it doesn’t affect u or bc you just don’t care and run I’m gonna do what KkhElena did and go bc this right here is literally like talking to a wall. Funny how this happens when we get like 1 or 2 POC hairstyles but ya know, overreaction.Toodles🤍
  • therealChartherealChar Registered Users, Member 2,714 Posts
    edited February 2021
    Koakuma said:

I don’t get your thought process you think allowing ppl to disrespect and clown and take our features makes the mainstream become more accepting ? Then why in the decades passed has it not been more acceptable then ? I grew up in the poor  hoods and ghettos of Chicago so maybe I’m just different then you. But no matter how popular twerking is black women are belittled for us doing it and them being cool for doing it same with big lips and weaves we’re still ghetto and need to grow our own  hair. Maybe your not seeing the actual oppression or experiencing it as vivid as I do
    edited February 2021
    Koakuma said:

I don’t get your thought process you think allowing ppl to disrespect and clown and take our features makes the mainstream become more accepting ? Then why in the decades passed has it not been more acceptable then ? I grew up in the poor  hoods and ghettos of Chicago so maybe I’m just different then you. But no matter how popular twerking is black women are belittled for us doing it and them being cool for doing it same with big lips and weaves we’re still ghetto and need to grow our own  hair. Maybe your not seeing the actual oppression or experiencing it as vivid as I do

I'm not even american so I really can't say anything about your experience
    In my country though, naturally curly or kinky hair becoming mainstream has definitely made it more acceptable. When I stopped relaxing my hair everyone from my mom to my neighbors to my cousins to my hairdresser gave me shit for it, now that they see it everywhere they're not at all critical.

Maybe I'm naive though 🤔
    Koakuma said:
    Koakuma said:

In my country though, naturally curly or kinky hair becoming mainstream has definitely made it more acceptable. When I stopped relaxing my hair everyone from my mom to my neighbors to my cousins to my hairdresser gave me shit for it, now that they see it everywhere they're not at all critical.

Maybe I'm naive though 🤔
    You definitely don’t have the experience I have. But I wouldn’t be quick to give ppl passes to do the stuff me and others find uncomfortable. I’ve been called the n word more times then I can count been spit on called ghetto all for just being myself the way I was born. It’s not easy for black women in general especially black American women. 
    Koakuma said:
    Koakuma said:

Maybe I'm naive though 🤔
    You definitely don’t have the experience I have. But I wouldn’t be quick to give ppl passes to do the stuff me and others find uncomfortable. I’ve been called the n word more times then I can count been spit on called ghetto all for just being myself the way I was born. It’s not easy for black women in general especially black American women. 
    That's something I hadn't considered actually, I forgot how much more racial tension there is in the US compared to my country. 
    kikadida said:
    So.... I find myself?
    Wow I didn't know that was possible
    Was it really you or like just a bot that appeared after you were done being voted?
  • periimiaperiimia Registered Users, Member 229 Posts
    edited February 2021
    Idkkh said:
    As an Asian person wtf are "Asian eyes"???? Does that just mean "small" to you??? Asia is an entire continent comprised of more than just East Asians. 
    No.English isn’t my mother language so that is why I wrote ‘asian eyes’.Yeah my mistake.Btw I believe we have just one monolid eyes on the game and I was talking about them.And I don’t wanna wear black skin or poc hairstyles.I don’t wanna approve anything too.
  • KaycĂŠKaycĂŠ Registered Users, Member 1 Posts
    as a poc but not an African-american, i understand your pain and hardships that you’ve had to go through.. but this is a game! i’m not trying to undermine your experiences and invalidate them, cause they’re not, but KKH is a fantasy game for the players to escape into from the real-life. this isn’t real life where there are influencers and celebrities changing their skin tone as a trend - which is wrong and problematic - this is an alternate reality for people who enjoy playing role playing games. if a non poc is buying multiple tickets to try and win a poc hairstyle, let them! if a non poc is darkening their tone to fit the theme of the event, let them! it. is. a. game. not real life, they’re not mocking us in real life, they’re simply role playing. and you guys seem to be forgetting that the people trying to get the poc hairstyle may as well be a literal child who thinks the hairstyle looks nice. i’m genuinely appalled by attitude and entitlement some of you seem to have. 

i saw this on another KKH group and i thought that some of you should read this too:

• NinishNinish Registered Users, Member 235 Posts
    bryonyc said:
    It's been explained so many times in this thread and countless earlier threads why this is so problematic.
    POC chasing a 'non black hairstyle' is NOT problematic. When a marginalized group take "trends" from a dominant group it is not appropriation, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it is called assimilation, this is done by the systematically oppressed group to be accepted by society.
    Being born white comes with unearned privileges, just like men are born with unearned benefits compared to women. The traditional white beauty norm is unattainable for most women but it is way more far out of reach for black women. Throughout history they have been told their features and their hair are ugly. This is why it is so problematic when white people appropriate other cultures, and then are praised and called pretty for styles that have been called countless of ugly words when worn by black women. No matter what your intentions are (I don't believe you or other people here are doing it with ill intent) it still contributes to a toxic norm. I really recommend doing some reading on it, there is so much good information out there.

• LaneLaneLaneLane Registered Users, Member 258 Posts
    Full disclosure I am a white woman, so I've gone back and forth on whether I should even comment on the race issues that continually show up. I truly have tried to take time and read all of the comments to educate myself. I'm sorry if what I say has already been said or if it is stepping on anyone's shoes.

One of the arguments I've seen come up continually is "It's just like a paper doll" or "it's just a game." While I can see where these views come from, I think the "it's just a doll" portion ends as soon as you start submitting looks for SYS. When you submit your look for judging, it isn't just your own little personal dress up game. It is a competition for prizes that many of us, obviously, take seriously. That's what takes the game into the real world. Once it's submitted, the world's biases, prejudices, preferences, and all other personal feelings come to play. 

When people submit their looks using culture's hair or features that don't belong to them, they are doing so in hopes of gaining points for their look. They think their culture's features wouldn't do well for the theme, so they are taking something from another culture to rank higher. To me, that's when the cultural appropriate takes place. 

In the early days of this game, before SYS, sure. It was just a fashion game where you got to dress your doll up in early 2010s fashion. Fun. But now we have seen dolls' non-submitted looks pop up in the voting booth. Because of that, I think it's our responsibility to keep the "paper doll" mentality to just the Kloset. You think this outfit would look great with a different skin tone or hair? Okay, try it on in the Kloset and then leave it there. 

Photo for reference to show I've been on this game for a while. I'm a dinosaur. 

Android Player. Galaxy S22
    Player since 2014 with some accidental resets. 
  • pristinepersonpristineperson Registered Users, Member 2,659 Posts
    I also think I spotted @JaelynJax

• TessakkhTessakkh Registered Users, Member 244 Posts
    I think some dolls on the forum (who are from a country where racism is not that bad anymore) do not realize how hard some of you dolls have had it in life just because of the color of your skin. I am really sorry that you guys had to experience that. We all should know better.

There will be new people joining the forum every day. There should be a rule or maybe even a discussion about this topic where newbies can take a look and read everybody's opinion, so you guys do not have to explain yourself every single day. This must be very tiring. And I know there is google; but some dolls on the forum are really young or do not have any experience in this topic, so they just do not know anything about it. When you are white you just dont know how bad it really can be as a POC, because you havent experienced this. My friends and love ones told me their stories. It cant even imagine how horrible it can be sometimes
    KaycĂŠ said:
    as a poc but not an African-american, i understand your pain and hardships that you’ve had to go through.. but this is a game! i’m not trying to undermine your experiences and invalidate them, cause they’re not, but KKH is a fantasy game for the players to escape into from the real-life. this isn’t real life where there are influencers and celebrities changing their skin tone as a trend - which is wrong and problematic - this is an alternate reality for people who enjoy playing role playing games. if a non poc is buying multiple tickets to try and win a poc hairstyle, let them! if a non poc is darkening their tone to fit the theme of the event, let them! it. is. a. game. not real life, they’re not mocking us in real life, they’re simply role playing. and you guys seem to be forgetting that the people trying to get the poc hairstyle may as well be a literal child who thinks the hairstyle looks nice. i’m genuinely appalled by attitude and entitlement some of you seem to have. 

i saw this on another KKH group and i thought that some of you should read this too:

I'm in literal tears as I'm writing this and not happy ones. All I hear is 'yeah you've gone tru traumatic sh*t but...' you're not listening. The meaning behind actions sometimes and often doesn't matter. You want to call it entitlement and arrogance while most of us are just in pain. You can't understand bc you're either naive or not carefully listening bc as long as someone isn't being hurt physically it doesn't matter and most of you don't care. I've been studying this matter and had to do school projects about it but a f*cking gain, I'm no book that has to inform you between the difference of an oppressed race trying to be accepted and a privilege race just straight up using years and years of pain as an effing accessory. We're not talking about kids. We're talking about adults and teenagers who are aware but decide to ignore. It's obvious none of you care because you're calling our pain entitlement and arrogance so idek why I'm bothering 
    KaycĂŠ said:

The only ones entitled are the ppl like u who feel u can give passes for black ppl when ur not black. So no ur not gonna tell me and others we have attitudes and entitlement for finding this shit uncomfortable and yes ur underminding the uncomfortable history of things. So no i dont give two cares to you clocking in trying to make it seem like there isnt an issue every time theres black hair
    KkhElena said:
    KaycĂŠ said:

I'm in literal tears as I'm writing this and not happy ones. All I hear is 'yeah you've gone tru traumatic sh*t but...' you're not listening. The meaning behind actions sometimes and often doesn't matter. You want to call it entitlement and arrogance while most of us are just in pain. You can't understand bc you're either naive or not carefully listening bc as long as someone isn't being hurt physically it doesn't matter and most of you don't care. I've been studying this matter and had to do school projects about it but a f*cking gain, I'm no book that has to inform you between the difference of an oppressed race trying to be accepted and a privilege race just straight up using years and years of pain as an effing accessory. We're not talking about kids. We're talking about adults and teenagers who are aware but decide to ignore. It's obvious none of you care because you're calling our pain entitlement and arrogance so idek why I'm bothering 
    Im sending you a digital hug cause i know how tiring and painful it is. Its really heart breaking too. Like the whole thing is exhausting
  • kikadidakikadida Registered Users, Member 111 Posts
    Finally 50