An Incomplete Guide (strategy) to Playing for Free

emonkeysemonkeys Registered Users 5 Posts
Rationale: Well, I have decided to restart the game (uninstall/ re-install) after playing the weekly missions for awhile even though many of my characters were level 31. The deciding factor for starting over was unlocking the tier 6 equipment in the store and weekly missions. As new tiers of equipment open up in the store, the difficulty of the missions spikes. So I have started over and am focusing on a few factors:

1. All heroes only level when I have enough glu credits (via weekly missions) to get 2 skill points.
2. I won't leave level one until I have unlocked all the free characters for fear of unlocking a higher tier of equipment and/or difficulty. *(This may change if the weekly missions (using only area 1 gear) becomes laughably easy (1 shots)).
3. All weekly mission points will go toward amassing glu credits.
4. I will attempt to get the best equipment for area 1 fully upgraded if possible (*and each successive area as I progress).
5. If the weekly missions are easy enough every week, I may consider purchasing Felmore for a better tank using the weekly mission glu credits (20-25 per week? Haven't done the calculations for daily play).

Questions: Essential information seems to be missing from the forums (according to a few searches and a perusal) that may guide decisions about my strategy for playing for free. If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please respond in comments--

1. What areas/actions unlock tiers in the store and the weekly missions?
2. How many weekly mission credits can a person retain?

If we knew (I wish I could remember) which areas or actions unlocked new tiers (it isn't an equivalent area to tier, obviously), we could maximize the amount of areas available prior to taking that next step that may make our lives much more difficult (in terms of the difficulty of weekly missions, which is the bread and butter of free play).

If we knew how many weekly mission credits a person can retain (I know they carry over from one week to another as I have already tried this), we could stockpile however many weekly mission credits we want before moving from one tier to the next. If I go from tier 5 to 6 with 1000 weekly mission credits and spend all of them on the mystery chests, we may have a chance of managing to get past the level 6 missions without paying any money.

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that this method will take forever--possibly far longer than the current rules and opportunities exist. The game may change as time goes on since the weekly missions are relatively free. If this were the only game I have on my phone, I would likely not use this method. I can go play Heroes of Order and Chaos, Dead Trigger, or Shadowgun: Deadzone, or The Bard's Tale (again) during the down time. Also, I am aware that this is guide doesn't get into techniques or classes or whatever too much, so it isn't meant to be comprehensive. I am posting mainly to get feedback or information on my two unanswered questions.

Follow-Up: In leveling up the first few levels, I decided to try the free glu coin offers. You can get 25 by watching ads for games that take around 10 seconds per ad. 23 by selecting watch videos and then it kicks you out and there is a final watch video that gives you two glu credits.

Update to Questions:
Area 1 is safe to unlock every single dungeon at 4 stars to remain at level 1 equipment available at the store as well as in the weekly missions.
Area 2 begins safely, but weapons were unlocked after I completed the mine quest for area 2. After the mine quest in area 2, the weapons and armor are unlocked from the store and in the weekly missions.

At this point, my theory is that the mine quests unlock the next item levels in the stores and the weekly missions. I completed the mine quest in area 2 prior to finishing even a single star quest in all the other dungeons in the area. As soon as I completed the mine quest, it unlocked the store items and made the area 3 intro dungeon available. If this is correct, it would be safe to unlock all the dungeon stars in the areas without mines and complete all the dungeons except for the mine in the area with a mine. Of course, this means that you would be unable to proceed to the next area, but you would have maximum resources available to upgrade your characters for the weekly missions.

*I am going to continue updating as I progress, but if you know what triggers item level 3 to unlock (or any of the other levels), please post in a comment. Thanks!

Comments

• COBOKCOBOK Registered Users 62 Posts
    emonkeys wrote: »
    Questions: Essential information seems to be missing from the forums (according to a few searches and a perusal) that may guide decisions about my strategy for playing for free. If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please respond in comments--

1. What areas/actions unlock tiers in the store and the weekly missions?
    Until the last tier(6) you get text town to clear after each second village. This town unlocks new tier equip.
    2. How many weekly mission credits can a person retain?
  • emonkeysemonkeys Registered Users 5 Posts
    Thank you for your response! :)
    Text town? Not sure what that means, but tier 2 unlocked after the mine in area 2, not after the red arrowed introductory quest to the area.

In area 3, I have completed the first star of almost every quest (except for the elite and the Fel'More quest that I'm saving until I have enough GLU credits to buy him) and there is no item unlock.

250. OK. Not terrible, not great. I guess it would give us a head start at least and a goal to go for. Thanks again!
  • mtheadmthead Registered Users 266 Posts
    you playing this game on android emonkey?
    also being bit dumb here... what is a tier 6 equipment?

is that the legendary gold equipment?
    Hey mthead,
    I am playing on an android (Samsung Galaxy S4). The Tiers are represented by the numbers next to the equipment in Roman numerals. If your boots have a II on them, they are tier 2, while IV would be tier 4. The level of the weapon refers to the upgrade using the chance system or with GLU credits.
    Ic ic

Heres a dilema.. which stuff would you upgrade
    most of the stuff i have is epic but do have a few legendary
    Should i just upgrade my current epic stuff, or risk it and just spin for legendary stuff and upgrade those if i ever get them
    I got to unlocking tier 6 (which eventually was my problem, unlocked it too soon--before I had the gear to pass the weekly missions), so I am going to follow a few simple rules regarding upgrading the levels:
    1. I am going to try to upgrade as much as I need to in order to pass the 'impossible' weekly missions for each tier.
    2. I try not to buy any gear, but if I get stuck, I'll buy gear and upgrade it as much as I need to in order to continue to farm the areas I have opened to me at the current tier.
    3. I am saving my real resources for upgrading tier 6 equipment that I get from weekly missions and eventually from higher level dungeons.
    4. As a result, I don't upgrade green items past level 5 or 6. Save your level 9s and 10s for the top notch gear. You can stay at a particular tier and farm weekly missions and upgrade your current tier of equipment--that would make the next areas and tiers much better.

For Example:
    1. Currently, I have unlocked up through area 4 except for the mine (which would unlock the next tier); so, I only have tier 2 equipment. I am going to max the area out (if possible unlocking all stars for each of the 4 areas) and get my characters leveled as far as possible (with 2 skill points per level using weekly mission GLU and watching ads/ installing games, etc.). I am not sure if I have the gear to pass the weely missions yet as I am still transitioning with a tier 1 weekly mission set. Next week, I'll know if I have the gear to pass the 'impossible' weekly mission.
    2. I'm not sure if I'm stuck, but if I do get stuck unable to pass 'impossible' on tier 2 next week, I will invest in buying green gear so my characters don't get one shotted by mobs and/or use weekly points to unlock better weapons before moving on to the next area and tier (making the next process that much easier, but lengthening the time I stay confined to the 4 areas).
    3. I have unlocked the daggers coin-based hero and the healer, so I am leveling them up too, but most of my resources are going to either upgrading the decent weapons I currently have or (with the few GLUs I have) leveling my characters with 2 skill points per level.
    4. I have a few gold weapons, but they are currently only tier 1. They are worth upgrading only to a point. i would never upgrade them to level 10. I'm saving that for tier 6 gear, possibly using GLU credits from weekly missions (stockpiled?) to complete the final levels, not sure.

I hope this helps! Just my two cents, I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to finish the game for free--sort of the challenge, right?