New Rewards player coming anytime soon?

2Next

Comments

• dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    huge Rickey Henderson fan here. If we had TSB back in the 80s he would need a speed rating of 99. Either that or put him at 9 and let nobody else in the league top 5 or 6!

I would love playing a baseball game like this that incorporated a ton of legends.
  • Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Dtrain Ricky would be an awesome lead off hitter. Lawman, love Dawson. But he would fall in the category of 992 guy. Grace was my other favorite, but so slow. Still he would be a L961 guy like a left handed Posey.
  • ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Dtrain:

Before I research it, didn't Henderson have a year where he stole like 140 bases? I may be wrong, but I think it was in that range.
    Yes, it would be cool if they had TSB All Time Greats of the Game. I'm old enough to remember Mays, Mantle and Aaron playing ball. I watched games on a black and white set in our kitchen with my grandfather. I would love to see players from that era added to the game, ano I'm willing to bet the consensus would too.
  • bizzlebizzle Registered Users 75 Posts
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    Dtrain Ricky would be an awesome lead off hitter. Lawman, love Dawson. But he would fall in the category of 992 guy. Grace was my other favorite, but so slow. Still he would be a L961 guy like a left handed Posey.

When Dawson was younger he stole more bases a la Barry Lamar Bonds. In 1982 he had 39 steals. Once he developed more power he stopped running as much.
  • NTGNTG Registered Users 19 Posts
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    Dtrain:

Before I research it, didn't Henderson have a year where he stole like 140 bases? I may be wrong, but I think it was in that range.

His highest was 130 in 1982. The crazy thing is that is steal % was on 75.6% that year which is actually pretty average.
    Thanks NTG. 130 stolen bases is insane! So, if my math is correct, he had 172 attempts??? That would mean he got caught 42 times (or 75.6% of the time).
    Lawman, that's absolutely correct.
    Lucas Duda or Joe Mauer?
    Hands down, no questions asked, Joe Mauer.
    Agreed, Joe Mauer for sure.
    Thanks guys, I played Duda a few games just to get a feel but I love Mauer and he's been great for me for a really long time.
    New question. I just got Carlos Gomez. My old OF was Angel Pagan, Rajai Davis, and Marcel Ozuna. Who would you guys suggest benching?
    Another easy call NTG, sit Ozuna.
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    Another easy call NTG, sit Ozuna.

That seemed like the obvious choice to me too. Ozuna is only hitting .259 for me but it took Davis out. I didn't know if it just did that because he was in CF or not.
  • bizzlebizzle Registered Users 75 Posts
    NTG wrote: »
    That seemed like the obvious choice to me too. Ozuna is only hitting .259 for me but it took Davis out. I didn't know if it just did that because he was in CF or not.

Nah. The computer automatically favors power, that is why they took Davis out.
    bizzle wrote: »
    Nah. The computer automatically favors power, that is why they took Davis out.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.
  • princeofheckprinceofheck Registered Users 103 Posts
    Wonder what player in modern baseball history would have had the highest rating in their prime years. Obviously lots of 992 type guys. But I'm thinking more well rounded players. My guess would be (hate to say it) a pre steroid Barry Bonds. 997. Followed by Ken Griffey Jr. 995.

One of my favorite players, Jeff Bagwell, had a 5-year stretch in which he averaged .300+, 39 hrs, and 22 SBs. To me, that's 997.

Vlad Guerrero who would have qualified for the same rating during his own 5-year stretch. Coincidentally, both he and Bagwell finished their careers with 449 homers.
  • princeofheckprinceofheck Registered Users 103 Posts

The better first baseman was his South Side counterpart, Frank Thomas. Slow as well, but definitely a 991 rating in his prime.
    Here a name that I bet hasn't been mentioned in a long, long time. How about Albert "Don't call me Joey" Belle of the Indians.

In 1993, Belle batted .290, 38 HR's, 129 RBI's, and had 23 stolen bases.

His lifetime stats are absolutely sick! He played 12 seasons, but really only 10 complete, Belle hit close to 400 HR's
  • MetropolitansMetropolitans Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    Willie Mays
    batted .333 with 35HR and 38SB. Could be a 999 year.
    Funny how a 999 hitter would be the ultimate player. But a 999 pitcher in this game is not so dominate.
    Amused,

This is where the game is flawed. Someone like Kershaw should be the best pitcher in this game (based on his rating).

A 9/9/9 pitcher in my opinion; 1) Should throw hard. 2) hit corners consistently, most which are unhittable 3) pitches which mimic real life skills. Unfortunately, in this game the control rating can be the kiss of death, even if the other two attributes are stellar.

Amused, your point about a 9/9/9 hitter being the "ultimate player" is spot on. If a hitter were to have those attributes, it would be because he earned those ratings, and would have to be the best in MLB. Kershaw is so dominant in real life, he deserves to be better in this game. You know I'm a Reds fan, and think Cueto is a stud, but he's no Kershaw. I would take Cueto over Kershaw hands down in this game though.
  • StarCatStarCat Registered Users 269 Posts
    Lawman, this has been one of the mysteries of the game to be. Kershaw should indeed be the absolute best starting pitcher in TSB. Funny how the game values "control" (in TSB that means strikes) so highly. TSB pitchers with 9 Control are far easier for me to hit. It's the ones whose control is lower and who throw just-off-the-plate that are so hard for me to hit. I mostly strike out.
    StarCat:

You are right. It's almost like a pitcher who receives a high control rating is getting punished for his skill. I am not against the idea of a star pitcher like Kershaw having a high control rating, but the majority (more than 50%) of his pitches should be unhittable. That still will give the batter a 50% chance to get a hit, which I think is fair. The skill rating 8 to 1 should drop incrementally. For example, an 8 control would be 55% hittable, 7- 60%, 6- 65%, 5- 70%, 4- 75%, 3- 80%, 2- 85%, 1- 90%. Mind you, this is only one part of the pitching equation, as speed and stuff could remain as is.

With this formula, a 9 control rating would benefit the pitcher instead of the batter, which is not currently in place.
    Like you said Lawman, that 9 control is a "kiss of death" for a pitcher. Yet oddly, against the CPU it seems to be helpful. Jose Fernandez who is a 959 guy gives up more runs to the CPU and when I look at his stat line walks play into that reason. Yet I feel he does better then Felix Hernandez 799 against human players. And that 799 for Felix against the CPU, including legends, does an excellent job of keeping the runs down. Just the way it works.