Options

Stealing 3rd base

Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
I have only tried this a couple times 1-2, but I am curious what other people's success rate is on stealing 3rd. Or what strategy you use to impose this. You never want to make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd, but if a 9 guy is stealing 3rd as well as 2nd base it may be worth the risk. I have never seen a pick off or pitch out with a runner on 2nd. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Amused:

I have attempted stealing 3rd base 5 times. I have been successful 2 out the 5 attempts. Stopped trying, as 40% is not worth the risk. Each time, I tried putting a runner on third with no outs, so a sac fly would score them. Anticipated close games based on pitching match ups.

The only runners I ever attempted to steal 3rd with had 9 speed.

Another reason I decided against stealing 3rd base, is that a runner with 9 speed is going to score the vast majority of time on a hit from 2nd base anyway.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    I agree with your line of thinking. I'm surprised I have not tried it more, but it just struck me the other day that I rarely consider it. Prob because the same logic as you a hit will score the 9 runner. I will say, in the last couple months, the rollers that are basehits that give you the option to take home or hold, I'm finding my fastest of runners getting thrown out a lot more frequently.
  • Options
    champ_beauchampchamp_beauchamp Registered Users 79 Posts
    I do it every time I have a big lead and I'm not worried about a comeback. Only with 9 speed players. I'd say my success rate is around 50% out of a hundred or so attempts. Pretty cool feeling when you steal third with 1 out and pretty much just have to make contact to cash in a run.

Outside of having a big lead it's hardly ever worth the risk.