Auto roster decisions...is the game always right?

Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
How do you guys feel about how the game makes roster decisions? Do you feel that they always make the correct one?

I ask because when I picked up a new outfielder recently (Werth), the game automatically took Crawford out of my lineup but kept Trumbo. Does that seem like the best choice?

Here are the stats for each player. Both players have approximately 2000 games worth of stats to go by:

Crawford
7 - 3 - 9
Avg: .280
AB/HR: 91.7

Trumbo
4 - 9 - 4
Avg: .189
AB/HR: 12

Trumbo does hit a lot of homers, but that BA is bad.

So what do you think? Did the game make the right decision in keeping Trumbo and moving Crawford to sub? Or should I Crawford back in my lineup?

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments

• Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
    Sorry...probably should have posted my lineup as a reference point too.

Hitters-

J. Lucroy - 8 4 4
    J. Morneau - 9 5 2
    R. Cano - 9 4 5
    A. Rendon - 7 6 6
    Alexei Ramirez - 7 5 9
    M. Trumbo - 4 9 4
    M. Kemp - 7 7 5
    J. Werth - 8 6 4
    E. Encarnacion - 6 9 3
  • TWWTWW Registered Users 74 Posts
    .189? Jesus that is awful. I had him hitting .230ish last year when I had him, and that was me actually playing 90% of my games. Your stats are with 2000 games played, I assume that's mostly auto play, and you'd figure the computer would have him hitting better (because humans are prone to swinging at garbage).

I think the game favors power over hitting stat. I had Freeman, 8 hit, as my DH for a while. I picked up Stanton as a franchise player, expecting them to take out Holliday, to make my outfield Stanton, Puig, Jones, but it took out Freeman instead. Besides the fact that Holliday is a dirty Redbird, I thought my lineup would have been better the way I was expecting.

Not related to those decisions, I don't like that when I autoplay, the AI will keep my starting pitcher in for 8 innings when I'm up 2-1 or 3-1, only to see him give up the lead. Should he really lose control and stuff if he's pitching that good of a game, as decided by the AI keeping him in?
  • Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
    TWW wrote: »
    .189? Jesus that is awful. I had him hitting .230ish last year when I had him, and that was me actually playing 90% of my games. Your stats are with 2000 games played, I assume that's mostly auto play, and you'd figure the computer would have him hitting better (because humans are prone to swinging at garbage).

I think the game favors power over hitting stat. I had Freeman, 8 hit, as my DH for a while. I picked up Stanton as a franchise player, expecting them to take out Holliday, to make my outfield Stanton, Puig, Jones, but it took out Freeman instead. Besides the fact that Holliday is a dirty Redbird, I thought my lineup would have been better the way I was expecting.

Not related to those decisions, I don't like that when I autoplay, the AI will keep my starting pitcher in for 8 innings when I'm up 2-1 or 3-1, only to see him give up the lead. Should he really lose control and stuff if he's pitching that good of a game, as decided by the AI keeping him in?

Dirty Redbird!! LOL!!! Too funny! Thanks for the advice
  • spizzlospizzlo Registered Users 31 Posts
    I'm not the most experienced (about 300 games played), but I tend to look at OPS. If they are similar, I'll go with average.
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    most people on this site value a batters hit rating and batting average over everything. regardless of power or speed, they'll tell you to take whoever has the higher hit rating. that made sense to me at first but after a while i came to believe that that's not exactly the best plan. power hitters like Trumbo, Colby Rasmus (5/9/4 who i've had starting for a while), Encarnacion, Ortiz, etc. would get benched quickly by following this rule. from what Rasmus has shown me, i think they are undervalued by a lot of people. the object of the game isn't to get hits or get on base, it's to win games which you do by scoring runs. Spizzlo is right. OPS is very important and i'll bet is an often ignored stat from most players. BA is just one stat and it doesn't tell a lot about a player. every stat should be taken into account when determining a players worth (well most of them at least). a team that can hit extra base hits often will fair better than a team that just knocks around a ton of singles.

despite that though, i would start Crawford i think. looks like you're lacking in the speed department and you have plenty of power hitters already. plus, Crawford is a leftie which is a big advantage in this game in autoplay. idk what level you are at but i'm at MVP and i would be very hesitant using a guy with only 4 hit if he's not a leftie or switch. Saltalamachia was complete doodoo for me even at lower levels, can't imagine how bad he'd have been if he was only a righty (got Russell Martin in the prime event a few days ago though so never have to deal with that dope again haha). but like i said, you should look at all their stats to make a final decision. i haven't had either of those players so i'm just making an educated guess. who's on your bench btw?
    TWW wrote: »

i honestly don't understand how they determine who gets replaced with franchise players. i don't use franchise players often but i remember one time i got one and i assumed it would replace my DH, who at the time was like a 3* player while the rest of my team was 3.5* or higher. but nope, replaced one of the better guys. logically i assumed "oh maybe position players can't be placed at DH." (i haven't really been keeping track of who they're replacing tbh though). so then the next time i got a franchise player, i put one of my starting OFs in the DH spot since my current DH was my worst hitter at the time. i even put a 3* inactive player in the starting lineup to ensure that he would be replaced, but no. Ryan Zimmerman got replaced at DH. so i don't think it has to do with their power rating as the replacement guy i put in was 6/1/9. star rating doesn't appear to matter either. haven't used a franchise player since then.

if anyone knows more info about who gets replaced for franchise players, i'd appreciate it.
  • Butthole PleasuresButthole Pleasures Registered Users 23 Posts
    I look at hitting over anything else. If you can get hits it doesn't matter how much power you have. Right now I don't have anyone with less than a 7 on hitting. I look at hitting , then speed, and power last. My team is hitting .320 with over 2800 games played and I have a winning percentage of 88%. Granted a lot of those wins come from the Prime Events which I auto play.