Gattis or Lucroy?

Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up Gattis in a Championship Draft. The game placed him at catcher automatically to replace Lucroy.

Who would you put at catcher?

Gattis (5 - 9 - 1)
Lucroy (8 - 4 - 4)

Lucroy's current stats (approx. 2000 games)

Avg - .311
Slg - .432
AB/HR - 47.7

Here is my current lineup:

Lucroy, 8 4 4
Morneau, 9 5 2
Cano, 9 4 5
Rendon, 7 6 6
Alexei Ramirez, 7 5 9
Trumbo, 4 9 4
Kemp, 7 7 5
Werth, 8 6 4
Encarnacion, 6 9 3

Subs-
Donaldson, 5 9 4
M. Adams, 7 6 3
Crawford, 7 3 9

So given all that info, what do you think? Lucroy or Gattis? Would love some opinions.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Tony167Tony167 Registered Users 392 Posts
    I would much rather have lucroy and his 8 hitting in my lu
  • MrSportsking5MrSportsking5 Registered Users 12 Posts
    Tony167 wrote: »
    I would much rather have lucroy and his 8 hitting in my lu

I second that choice, especially because you have Trumbo in the lineup already.
  • Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
    That was kind of my thought too. A batting average over .300 is always nice. Its just when you always see Gattis listed as a "franchise player"...well, you know. The game doesn't always know best though.

Thanks for your thoughts men.
  • MrSportsking5MrSportsking5 Registered Users 12 Posts
    That was kind of my thought too. A batting average over .300 is always nice. Its just when you always see Gattis listed as a "franchise player"...well, you know. The game doesn't always know best though.

Thanks for your thoughts men.

Too many boom or bust guys in one lineup is a recipe for disaster
    Weird...just for h*ts and giggles I left Gattis in for a few games. He's batting .305 and has a HR every 8.5 AB's!

Small sample size though. Less than 20 games. These things have a way of working themselves out I know. He'll be around .205 in no time if I leave him in. lol
  • J.LeeJ.Lee Registered Users 146 Posts
    Lucroy all day
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    i would put Gattis in and replace Trumbo with Crawford. having a guy with 7 hit and 9 speed is better than a 8 hit, 4 speed guy imho. i already explained why Crawford would be better than Trumbo in your other thread, but now it makes even more sense to put Crawford in. a 4 speed guy (Lucroy) isn't going to get many steals to make a difference and he won't be able to advance much if he's on base. Trumbo's 4 speed won't make a huge difference compared to Gattis's 1 speed either because as power hitters they are just there to knock homers, doubles in the gap, and sac flies. if you replace Trumbo with Crawford and Gattis with Lucroy you will have seven 7+ hit guys plus you get more speed and the same amount of power you had before.

plus think of it this way, it's late in the game and you're down by a run. one of your 5-7 hitters is up and you just need a base hit. you can use Lucroy as a pinch hitter. over the course of many games and ABs i would choose Gattis, but if it came down to just one AB than Lucroy would be a better choice. just because a guy isn't in your starting lineup doesn't mean he can't still help you. if you put Gattis in the sub position, you would never use him. you could take a chance and put him in hoping for a homerun, but again, if it's at the end of the game and you just need a few hits, a power hitting pinch hitter isn't going to help.

i know it's not the popular opinion around here but i'll continue to say it, BA is not the be-all, end-all stat.
    i would put Gattis in and replace Trumbo with Crawford. having a guy with 7 hit and 9 speed is better than a 8 hit, 4 speed guy imho. i already explained why Crawford would be better than Trumbo in your other thread, but now it makes even more sense to put Crawford in. a 4 speed guy (Lucroy) isn't going to get many steals to make a difference and he won't be able to advance much if he's on base. Trumbo's 4 speed won't make a huge difference compared to Gattis's 1 speed either because as power hitters they are just there to knock homers, doubles in the gap, and sac flies. if you replace Trumbo with Crawford and Gattis with Lucroy you will have seven 7+ hit guys plus you get more speed and the same amount of power you had before.

plus think of it this way, it's late in the game and you're down by a run. one of your 5-7 hitters is up and you just need a base hit. you can use Lucroy as a pinch hitter. over the course of many games and ABs i would choose Gattis, but if it came down to just one AB than Lucroy would be a better choice. just because a guy isn't in your starting lineup doesn't mean he can't still help you. if you put Gattis in the sub position, you would never use him. you could take a chance and put him in hoping for a homerun, but again, if it's at the end of the game and you just need a few hits, a power hitting pinch hitter isn't going to help.

i know it's not the popular opinion around here but i'll continue to say it, BA is not the be-all, end-all stat.

*DING*

"That's a Bingo!"
    "We just say bingo" :D

Thanks bommbs. Great advice. I'm going to go with that.