Options

Legend Fred McGriff in Walk-Off Hero

LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
Walk-Off Hero has been my favorite event for a long time, as I feel it's the best way to pick up lights out players with minimum expenditures.

I had cycled Walk-Off Hero about 4-5 weeks in a row, but was really looking for a dominant left-handed batter. When Legend Fred McGriff was available in the fan rewards for 30,000 gold, I jumped at the chance, believing that he would be unstoppable in Walk-Off Hero for a very long time.

It has now been 3 weeks since I picked up McGriff, and 3 weeks since I've cycled Walk-Off Hero. For me, Legend Fred McGriff is absolutely TERRIBLE at Walk-Off Hero.

Every other high rated batter has great pop off the bat. With Legend McGriff, I get nothing but dinky rollers to short and lazy fly balls to left. It makes no sense and is driving me absolutely crazy. Over the last two week, I was about 0-29 against Scherzer using McGriff.

For reference, my Legend McGriff is maxed out in rating, maxed out in pennants, and his special skill is up to 8/20.

Does anyone else have Legend Fred McGriff and can you please comment how he has been in Walk-Off Hero?

Thanks.
Proud TSB VIP!

Comments

• Options
    caddie2323caddie2323 Registered Users, Member 187 Posts
    Interesting, would figure he would help dominate the event, appreciate the heads up.  Been saving gold for a legend. About there.  May be better off not going for one.  
  • Options
    ameeshcubbieameeshcubbie Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    @LonzoBallin
    hey man, I do have him, but I also have switch hitting legend Bernie Williams. Bernie’s max is slightly better at 470 vs 465. Bernie’s regular batting average is about 20 points higher than McGriff’s for me (and they’ve both played 525 games for me). So is McGriff good? Yes but I never use him at the 10th level of my rounds. I use him at 8th or 9th depending on the pitcher. I also have legend Schmidt that I alternate with McGriff. I’m assuming McGriff is your best legend currently. Try and ride it out brother until another lefty pops like Brett or Chipper Jones (switch hitter). Reggie Jackson is ok but more a power hitter than a base hit guy IMO. Kinda like the Crime Dog. 
  • Options
    LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts

@LonzoBallin
    hey man, I do have him, but I also have switch hitting legend Bernie Williams. Bernie’s max is slightly better at 470 vs 465. Bernie’s regular batting average is about 20 points higher than McGriff’s for me (and they’ve both played 525 games for me). So is McGriff good? Yes but I never use him at the 10th level of my rounds. I use him at 8th or 9th depending on the pitcher. I also have legend Schmidt that I alternate with McGriff. I’m assuming McGriff is your best legend currently. Try and ride it out brother until another lefty pops like Brett or Chipper Jones (switch hitter). Reggie Jackson is ok but more a power hitter than a base hit guy IMO. Kinda like the Crime Dog. 

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Until I'm able to pick up another lefty legend, I guess I'll have to stick with righty primes to try to get the job done.
    Proud TSB VIP!
  • Options
    paidoffpaidoff Registered Users, Member 106 Posts
    Many people have posted on here with complaints about their trouble cycling the WOH event.  Personally, I have a good event or a terrible event.  I mean it.  I don't have a philosophy.  It's like, "Am I hitting wiffle balls here?" is how it is on bad dayz.  
  • Options
    @LonzoBallin
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Until I'm able to pick up another lefty legend, I guess I'll have to stick with righty primes to try to get the job done.
    Another thing is whenever Mantle pops, give him your all. I think the Babe is great and all but Mantle will likely be another base hit killer. And technically he was a switch hitter so hopefully Glu makes him such. Obviously Ted Williams is the best. I think the Babe is like a Reggie Jackson or Crime Dog on Steroids and his results would be similar in WOH.
  • Options
    maddmaxx67maddmaxx67 Registered Users, Member 140 Posts
    I think the Babe is like a Reggie Jackson or Crime Dog on Steroids and his results would be similar in WOH.
    I chatted with someone who has Babe Ruth, said it still took him 2k in gold to get past Verlander. I am wondering if paying the high price for Ruth would be worth it considering what most people pay in gold to win WOH on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Took me 600g in restarts with POM Bergeman... Sometimes it doesnt matter who you have,
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    3 attempts here with legend Bernie