Going to Gold from Silver - My personal experiences

HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
One of our regular contributors and friends, @DFBB , had asked me to post my experience of leveling my team to the gold tier in hopes of giving some insight to those that are still on the fence of doing so. I had been sitting on the gold tier playoffs since the 2nd week of release and finally decided to go gold 3 weeks ago once I made sure I had enough resources to compete in gold. Below is what I had before going gold:
  • Cash: 17 Million
  • Blue XP: 700K
  • Prime XP: 1 Million (plus change)
  • EVO: Close to 900
  • Regular roster: 9 Primes and the rest 335 max, 355 max and All Stars with the exception of a 4.5 star catcher. All capped in silver
  • Sluggers: 6 Primes and the rest all 5 stars. All capped in silver
  • Upgrades: All regular upgrades and first 4 Intangibles maxes. Don't want to waste the cash on "Momentum" & "Resilience"
  • Team strength: Around 62K
  • Slugger strength: Around 32K
Having saved up all the XP, Cash & EVO I was able to achieve the following once I went gold:
  • Cash left: Around 4 Million
  • Blue XP left: Around 320K
  • Prime XP left: Around 220K
  • EVO left: around 300
  • Regular roster: Capped all active players plus 1 left handed and one switch hitting 5 star batters as substitutes
  • Sluggers: Capped top 4 prime and top 3 5 star sluggers. Didn't evolve the rest as there is no point wasting the XP as they would move down the roster by stronger Slugfest prize sluggers in subsequent weeks.
  • Upgrades: Maxed all regular upgrades and first 4 intangibles
  • Team strength: Around 84K (currently 87K)
  • Slugger strength: Around 42K (currently 43K)

So as you can see my team & slugger strength went up considerably as I had to make sure to gather the resources needed to do so. Below are my experiences with Slugfest & WOH:

SLUGFEST
I especially paid extra attention to my sluggers this year after making the mistake of ignoring them in the 17 version and with the exception of last week, due to some family issues, I have cycled all slugfest events. When in silver I used to cycle 7-8 times and in gold that number has gone down to 4 cycles but I am hopeful to get that number back up again as the past two weeks have been extra busy at work and other issues so not much time to play. I used to cycle in silver without spending any gold on restarts and sometimes not even using my video restart and the entire cycle would take 45-70 minutes with autoplaying levels 1-4 and half of 5-6. In gold tier I have spent about 2K gold total each day for all the cycles and each cycle takes about 75 minutes now as I can only auto play levels 1-4 now and have to play all rounds in 5 & 6 manually.

WOH
So far I have cycled all WOH games this year and there isn't really much to say about this rather than it seems to be much easier in Gold versus Silver and last week I didn't even need a restart on the 1st cycle. I am also able to cycle 5 to 6 times in gold now versus the 1 or 2 in silver. From past experience in 17 I have seen WOH being much easier for me when I am in a higher tier. In 17 it was even easier for me with a Platinum team.

Regular Season & bonus/prime/match me games
These games are extremely easy now but that is to be expected as I just went to gold and eventually I will get paired with tougher teams. As of now I just finished my 1st regular season in gold with a perfect record of 116-0 and the post season best of 2 games will probably go the same way. I also had an all-time win streak of 521 games under the achievements tab until a few days ago when I lost to a much stronger Platinum team. That team actually started a game with me and I don't know who it is so maybe someone I bested in a match brought in a ringer to put an end to my streak? :wink:

So this was my experience going gold and if I have left out anything feel free to ask and I will update. Some of the numbers of the resources I had left after going gold may be a bit off as I didn't track it at the time and am adjusting them based on what I have now after 3 weeks of being gold.
"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

Comments

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Thank you so much @Houmy! Myself, as well as others, really value your input. Thanks again for such a thorough and well written recap of your experience.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    Wow, what a great writeup. Really insightful. I think it's a wakeup call to those with very little resources that think they are ready to make the move, as well as those with plenty of resources who are just too scared to make the leap. Appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed experience.
    Proud TSB VIP!
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @DFBB & @LonzoBallin my pleasure and I hope it helped those trying to decide if it is right for them or not. Personally I made the move myself as I wanted to have fun with all the big bats that I had otherwise I could have stayed silver a bit longer and gathered more Prime XP.

• reinfallreinfall Registered Users, Member 73 Posts
    Can I see your sluggers Houmy? I finally cycled twice in a row in gold. I always have to spend some gold when i cycle tho.
    I can autoplay up to 5.5 now.
  • rmouse511rmouse511 Registered Users, Member 185 Posts
    @Houmy Thanks for that detailed report about your experience of moving up to gold. I think a lot of teams focus on team strength when deciding when to move up. You clearly pointed out that it is more important to focus on resources when deciding on when to level up. Teams will struggle to level up players at the higher tier for WOH and Slugfest, which I feel are the two best and cheapest ways to improve a team, if they don’t have enough resources. It is a shock for people when they realize how much it cost to level up players at the gold and platinum tiers.
    @reinfall here is my current slugger roster

As stated I didn't play last week so no slugger from that event.

• LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    Houmy said:

Seeing that Judge at Gold 10 is bringing up some bad memories. Couldn't get past him at Silver Level 6-8 this week. Difficult to beat a guy rated 204 when my Silver 10 Judge is maxed at 153.
    Proud TSB VIP!
  • ExposMontrealExposMontreal Registered Users, Member 242 Posts
    Someone posted this on Facebook and I found that really helpful
    ExposMontreal - 71K Strenght - Silver V
    “There was always something missing in Montreal.” – Pedro Martinez
  • brinsonsznbrinsonszn Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    I definitely wish I had all this insight before I had went gold without all the resources. It’s been hell getting my guys to gold and such butbslowly and surely I’m getting my team better each week
  • cbidgejbagscbidgejbags Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    I wish I joined this forum before yesterday.  I just kept pushing ahead to get to silver, then gold, and was looking forward to platinum as I am close.  I regret leveling up and I’m currently at expert level and going to stay put before I make the next jump.  My current team strength is at 53k and I can’t autoplay anymore like the days when my team was capped at Silver and often get outclassed more times than not.
  • cbidgejbagscbidgejbags Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    I will say that I’ve had my best scores the past two weeks in slugfest and WOH since my team has progressed to superstar and expert levels. 
    Houmy said:
    Thats elite, great job!
  • mehmehmeh1mehmehmeh1 Registered Users, Member 30 Posts
    Thanks for insightful write up. Made me realize I need a lot more in the bank before I level up to gold:)
  • miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    @Houmy I've seen a lot of posts on leveling to gold. But, I can't seem to find much on leveling to silver.

I just started playing about 2 months ago. I read a few posts that recommended building resources before leveling up. That's what I've done.

My sluggers look like this.

I usually complete the tier 4-5 times in bronze.

This is my normal roster. As you can see, I have built up a decent amount of XP and Prime XP.

Should I just go for it? Or should I give it a few more weeks to get all 5 star sluggers?
  • getthesehands108getthesehands108 Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    Houmy said:
    One of our regular contributors and friends, @DFBB , had asked me to post my experience of leveling my team to the gold tier in hopes of giving some insight to those that are still on the fence of doing so. I had been sitting on the gold tier playoffs since the 2nd week of release and finally decided to go gold 3 weeks ago once I made sure I had enough resources to compete in gold. Below is what I had before going gold:
    • Cash: 17 Million
    • Blue XP: 700K
    • Prime XP: 1 Million (plus change)
    • EVO: Close to 900
    • Regular roster: 9 Primes and the rest 335 max, 355 max and All Stars with the exception of a 4.5 star catcher. All capped in silver
    • Sluggers: 6 Primes and the rest all 5 stars. All capped in silver
    • Upgrades: All regular upgrades and first 4 Intangibles maxes. Don't want to waste the cash on "Momentum" & "Resilience"
    • Team strength: Around 62K
    • Slugger strength: Around 32K
    Having saved up all the XP, Cash & EVO I was able to achieve the following once I went gold:
    • Cash left: Around 4 Million
    • Blue XP left: Around 320K
    • Prime XP left: Around 220K
    • EVO left: around 300
    • Regular roster: Capped all active players plus 1 left handed and one switch hitting 5 star batters as substitutes
    • Sluggers: Capped top 4 prime and top 3 5 star sluggers. Didn't evolve the rest as there is no point wasting the XP as they would move down the roster by stronger Slugfest prize sluggers in subsequent weeks.
    • Upgrades: Maxed all regular upgrades and first 4 intangibles
    • Team strength: Around 84K (currently 87K)
    • Slugger strength: Around 42K (currently 43K)
    So as you can see my team & slugger strength went up considerably as I had to make sure to gather the resources needed to do so. Below are my experiences with Slugfest & WOH: SLUGFEST I especially paid extra attention to my sluggers this year after making the mistake of ignoring them in the 17 version and with the exception of last week, due to some family issues, I have cycled all slugfest events. When in silver I used to cycle 7-8 times and in gold that number has gone down to 4 cycles but I am hopeful to get that number back up again as the past two weeks have been extra busy at work and other issues so not much time to play. I used to cycle in silver without spending any gold on restarts and sometimes not even using my video restart and the entire cycle would take 45-70 minutes with autoplaying levels 1-4 and half of 5-6. In gold tier I have spent about 2K gold total each day for all the cycles and each cycle takes about 75 minutes now as I can only auto play levels 1-4 now and have to play all rounds in 5 & 6 manually. WOH So far I have cycled all WOH games this year and there isn't really much to say about this rather than it seems to be much easier in Gold versus Silver and last week I didn't even need a restart on the 1st cycle. I am also able to cycle 5 to 6 times in gold now versus the 1 or 2 in silver. From past experience in 17 I have seen WOH being much easier for me when I am in a higher tier. In 17 it was even easier for me with a Platinum team. Regular Season & bonus/prime/match me games These games are extremely easy now but that is to be expected as I just went to gold and eventually I will get paired with tougher teams. As of now I just finished my 1st regular season in gold with a perfect record of 116-0 and the post season best of 2 games will probably go the same way. I also had an all-time win streak of 521 games under the achievements tab until a few days ago when I lost to a much stronger Platinum team. That team actually started a game with me and I don't know who it is so maybe someone I bested in a match brought in a ringer to put an end to my streak? :wink: So this was my experience going gold and if I have left out anything feel free to ask and I will update. Some of the numbers of the resources I had left after going gold may be a bit off as I didn't track it at the time and am adjusting them based on what I have now after 3 weeks of being gold.
    Wow! I wish I would have seen this before I went gold. Fantastic description 
  • sfgiants101sfgiants101 Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
    Ignoring my slugger roster is where I messed up before going gold. I will perform poorly in this event now. I will plan better next year before going gold.
    @miggyrising You have an impressive lineup and if you have enough XP to cap them at silver I would do so but I would only cap the top 5 or 6 batters first and see how it goes and then cap more if needed and same with sluggers. Looks like you have been cycling most of the slugfest events lately so that is a plus and if you keep doing that then you should be able to gather a good amount of Prime XP so keep doing that.

It doesn't look like you've had much success with WOH however and you may need to concentrate on that as that is really the best way to get a top player every week. Your All Star Prime Trout is going to make things easier for 5.9 & 5.10 but you may need a POM or POTW with active boos as well. WOH may be a bit easier in silver but still tough with just Trout so if you manage to cycle that every week with minimum gold spent then you'll have a great squad. Of course that depends on how much longer they'll offer Prime batters before going over to pitchers and eventually Legends as pretty soon it will be time for that. Legends would be great to have of course once they start offering them but with Legend XP being so rare they'll be hard to level up.

Please note that my comments above are what I would do personally based on that lineup and the ultimate decision should be yours. Hope I was able to answer your concerns.

@Houmy Thanks for your generosity in replying!

I picked up Prime Matt Kemp this morning from the weekend Moments. Used all my coins and a few extra picks from using gold.

WOH has been giving me fits. Max and Baby Giraffe are useless. I do have Odor PotW for today's event. Maybe today will be the day.

Slugfest has been my signature event. Usually put up 7-8 million per week. One of my buddies plays and keeps crying about not being able to level up his prime players. As a result, I focused on sluggers first.
    @miggyrising you are welcome. Slugfest is really the best way to collect Prime XP as you mentioned and if you are successful at improving your WOH skills then you'll have plenty of primes to spend them on. I am however not sure how much longer they will give out prime batters as we have had Infield/Outfield positions except a catcher offered so far and after that they may switch to pitchers and then legends.

• redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    A player of the month is being offered today (Juan Soto).
  • bigbacondizzle23bigbacondizzle23 Registered Users, Member 54 Posts
    What a great post thanks.
    Did I miss Garrett Cole winning the Cy Young and being inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Doesn't matter who I throw at him. Boosted PotW with Live Boost and Batting Boost. 200+ hitter against 80 pitcher. 49 tries. Beat him twice. Even when I auto the best available player who is boosted as much as possible, Cole makes him look silly.