Options

Offer two WOH modes - Basic (Normal/Easy) & Advance (Hard - TSB17 style)

HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
edited November 2018 in General TSB Discussion
While I do realize that most could benefit from any of the 4-5 players offered in the new WOH format there are those that play it only for the chance of landing a Legend. I can't tell you how many 10+ cycle events I've had only to come away "empty" handed as far as the one player I wanted to get goes with the rest being traded in for minimum PXP. 

I do realize that GLU has made the pitcher strengths easier since introducing the new mode and for those that don't agree that it is easier then try and remember 17 or even early on in 18 (The Diaz 80% hittable-unhittable days notwithstanding) or ask any that have consistently cycled the event. What I suggest is for @GLU to give us an option at the beginning of the event such as:

<b>Basic mode:</b> The pitcher strengths would remain the same as they are for current events and you would have the same odds and number of possible player prizes as they are now
<b>Advance mode:</b> The pitcher strengths and difficulty would go back to the way they were in 17 or early on in 18 so that multicycling would be more difficult but the prize would only be the one legend or one of two legends (50/50 odds)
<b>Reset mode:</b> You would have the option to reset the event using gold to switch modes
"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

Comments

• Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    I can dig it! @houmy for president 2020!
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    @nym5fan don't be surprised if I do run now. I can remember at least one person in recent history that ran on a dare ;)

• Options
    you have my vote @Houmy
  • Options
    @nym5fan and we're off to the races

• Options
    Love it @Houmy!
  • Options
    I'd like to request a blue and orange color scheme... lol LGM!
  • Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    How about eliminating a player from the prize pool once already won? That would accomplish the same goal and probably be easier to code! Plus a legend would be guaranteed after enuf cycles. I think @Houmy and others like him are beasts and most don’t cycle 10+ times, so retooling the game-especially at this point for so few users, doesn’t make economical sense for Glu. Maybe a tier reward system could be made for cycling multiple times, but that may be better settled in ‘19...
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I will say this is the easiest it’s been since they went to this format also.  I remember having to beat 220+ pitchers and having only one guy that might be able to beat him if I boosted him, granted we only needed 4 to tie back then too.  It’s kinda weird because I literally now have 5 to 7 guys that are inactive that could at least have a fighting chance on at least Wednesday WoH (Monday seems to be a little tougher).  With that said I don’t want to go back to trying to hit Diaz/Neris at 250+ even with guys like Banks/Edmonds because it was pretty damn rough.
  • Options
    @fahhq2 eliminating a player already won is something that I would be fine with but as we have seen most are cycling at least 4-5 times so GLU knows that if the game was at the mode it is now then most would stop playing after the 5th cycle which would eventually guarantee them the legend.

@redlegs2018u You wouldn't have to go back to the Diaz/Neris scenario with the two modes.

• Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    @houmy, the two modes suggestion sounds appealing but definitively would involve some pretty serious code changes to the current game, so maybe as a feature for next year's version seems more plausible. 
    Now, reworking @fahhq2 idea about the current box, and using a suggestion from some of you guys in previous weeks, how about after each cycle just decrease by half (or more) the chances of whatever player you got in that round? That sounds like an easier change to introduce this year and enough of a compromise for must of us.

• Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    I’d cycle 4-5 times if I’m guaranteed a legend player. As it is, I only cycle 2-3x. So, realistically, Glu will draw most guys in for longer that way. Like I said @Houmy-U R a bEaSt and all but a few play like you...
  • Options
    @tocopan18 that is also a great idea. Make it so that every time you cycle the odds of pulling the players not already pulled increases by a certain amount. 2.5%-5% perhaps. That is something that can probably be done with a subroutine or two added and the GLU gurus should be able to pull it off in 18 versus waiting for 19.

• Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    yeah, once you decrease the probability of pulling the player you got, those "eliminated" chances need to go somewhere, meaning the remaining players. they don't even need to split it even, just 5-10% extra for the legend (as an example) and then whatever else split among the rest somehow. This is assuming you didn't pull the legend at first, of course.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    All of these arguments hinge on a premise that makes no sense from the developer's perspective.  Why would they make the game more fair, equitable and include assurances that we would all get the players we wanted?  Not only would that water down the power of actually obtaining one of the harder to get players (if more people have stronger teams, those teams are no longer "stronger" since the average strength rises across the board), it would kill the crackhead aspect of the game that makes us hole up and cycle like junkies chasing the dragon for the chance of getting the one player from five that would matter to your squad.

Its not pretty and we're on the wrong end of the gun, but they've got this thing wired to the point that we not only tap like fools every day but come here to continue to discuss it.  Why would they ever mess with perfection?  LOL
  • Options
    @bigvivec it wouldn't water it down if it was harder. It would simply be the way it always was, harder to get the top player and give you an actual sense of accomplishment knowing that the team you had spent all season putting together was actually worth something. And for those that hadn't been as lucky, or started later, the "basic" mode would be the chance to build a better team.

• Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    My main thing is do not put junk players in the box with 40 percent odds of obtaining said player. Plenty of people last week spent 12 hours cycling and got Reyes 7 times.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Man, I hope this doesn't come to bite me in the butt. I love the way WoH currently is set up. If you build a good team, it's reasonable enough where the question becomes how many cycles as opposed to whether or not you'll beat it. I also love that nothing is guaranteed. I have friends that have cycled 30-50+ times and still didn't get an ATG. One of my friends didn't get a prime sig until his 15th cycle last Weds. After I got the Babe, I went about 23 cycles before getting another legend. On the other side, myself and others have had legends/sigs in the first two cycles. 
    The RNG nature makes the boxes so fun. Of course, it stinks when it doesn't go your way. However, it feels so good to get your player when you know that it's far from a guarantee. As an example, all I've thought about lately is Nolan. I know I can cycle it 10x and he's still not guaranteed. That worries the crap out of me! Seriously. I need/want him so bad that it's mentally draining. If I knew I'd get him within a few cycles? Sure, that would take some stress out of it. Thing is, it would also take a lot of the joy from seeing his face pop moments after opening that box...That said, please let Nolan find his way home to me. Pretty please!

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    @DFBB while you have a valid point ask anyone that used to cycle before when there was only one player offered and the pitchers were a lot tougher and most can tell you that they had the same feeling of accomplishment there as the game was harder to beat and sometimes you would only cycle in the 11th hour so to say. I am glad that more players have a chance to cycle now and get players they need as it doesn't take anything away from me if others have great players too. I just wish that those of us that could cycle the harder/previous mode before would have the option of doing so to get the top prize again.

I've built my team all season long for this specific reason as I know that I could get a premium player every week if I put in the effort making a strong enough roster and now all of that work has been pretty much for nothing as they have taken away that guarantee. 

• Options
    And to add to your comment GLU please please please let Nolan find his way home to @DFBB and then give him a 3rd skill to make him stronger than the ATG. I'm dying to see what @DFBB will say about that then :wink::grin::trollface::naughty:

• Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    @houmy Im with you pal. As much as I hated the Diaz and Neris days I could still beat it eventually. Like you said sometimes it took all day but atleast you know you got the the one and only prize. But glu made the choice to lower the difficulty and give others a chance at cycling woh thus giving the odds of obtaining various players. To each their own though. I would rather play a Neris or Diaz and have a shot at the top prize then do 10 or  15 cycles and get nothing but crap for it.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    If you guys recall: Hosmer/goldy/seguara/turner/odubel were the more recent WoH rewards being given before it became 'reasonable.' I grinded all day to beat it knowing that none of them would be leveled because they didn't make my team. Prior to those guys, there were guys like Mr smiley, Chapman, etc. Guys who incrementally made your team better but were nothing more than temporary stops. Now, we have chances at Game changing ATGs and double skill players...
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Doesn't matter, that was months ago. Obviously as the game moves on the players get better and the rewards do as well in WOH. If they kept things as is the WOH prize would be a only a Legend at this point. Probably not an ATG but at-least it would be a guaranteed legend if you beat it.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    @DFBB everyone should still have the chances at the players you are referring to. I am just asking for the rest of us that want the top guy only, and can get him in the harder more, to have a chance at it as well.

• Options
    snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    To me WOH is boring now. Not very interested in it as I once was. Last week pretty much killed it for me as I cycled it 14 times and received junk players. Yawn. At least back in the old days with unstoppable Diaz I was able to beat it a couple of times and received a player that actually made my roster. 
  • Options
    VellocetVellocet Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    Getting an atg should be fairly difficult as it is now. If everyone could get one every mon and wed by completing a hard mode woh then they wouldn't be that great for long. I mean the game doesn't owe players anything, it is a business and those that spend the money will tend to have the better players. I am thankful they are even giving us the chance to aquire the top players for relatively little gold. 
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I’m torn on this subject because I remember over a 4 week period having an 0-28, 1-18, 0-19, 2-21 vs Diaz and that was awful for players who now are my 12th-15th best players it felt more like a relief to win back then I’m wondering how my phone survived it especially on that 0-28 day it was pure hell.

With that said it feels like crap now when you win and it’s a guy who would have been a fringe guy even then and someone whom doesn’t even make my team.  I’ve had some good fortune as I’ve gotten players like Nolan, Banks, Ted, Edmonds and Fisk all from this format but there are people winning 10x not getting these guys and someone like me that wins 2-4x each WoH have pulled all these guys.
  • Options
    @redlegs2018u I feel you when it comes to the Diaz days buddy. The Diaz difficulty is the not kind of difficulty I am referring to as I am sure everyone agrees that he was beyond difficult and was simply a ploy to get us to spend more gold. The difficulty level I am referring to is pre-Diaz going back to WOH first debuting in 2017 where it could almost take you a whole day to cycle just once with a strong squad. That cost me the same amount of gold cycling just once as it does now cycling 10+ times and that is why I suggested that GLU would still make the same amount of $$$ if they offered us that option.

• Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Vellocet said:
    Getting an atg should be fairly difficult as it is now. If everyone could get one every mon and wed by completing a hard mode woh then they wouldn't be that great for long. I mean the game doesn't owe players anything, it is a business and those that spend the money will tend to have the better players. I am thankful they are even giving us the chance to aquire the top players for relatively little gold. 
    Rare and hard to get things are special.  The easier they are to get, the less value they have and the higher degree of parity exists across the board as well as a higher average team strength which will in turn inspire the developers to tweak up the pitchers in WOH to combat that higher degree and we're then back to square one.

I have no problem with the VIP approach to the game;  spend actual dollars to get what you want, or at least the opportunity to get what you want.  It should be remembered that there is no entitlement included with that, and from the developer's point of view, it is not a negative if the hardcore participants spend hours a day chasing something that is anything other than a sure thing.  In fact, that's a win and something that they can present in journal articles and at industry conventions as an example of how they were able to "turn out" the game participants and transform them into devoted followers who even take additional time and energy to post on the provided forums about the game and how much they hate spending money and time on it.....that is degree of the infliction.  

Standing ovations......GLU will get standing ovations because in that respect they are doing EVERYTHING right!

That being said, baseball season is over, the height of football season is on us, holidays are coming to divide focus and resources so the rewards and ability to obtain the previously nearly unobtainable in the game is on.  It's a good time to play;  a lot more fun that the second week of April.