Options

WoH for 11-12-18: just too godly!!!

Comments

• Options
    SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    I'm done. I cycled level 5 about 50-60 times lol. Had constant trouble with miller, kimbrel and buehler... got buehler to 9-8 about 9 times but that was it. I'm so excited to try again on Wednesday  :D
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Options
    tribeWS18tribeWS18 Registered Users, Member 71 Posts
    Wow today sucked.  Thought the stars had aligned for me to get the babe after going 0 for 60k on the babe boxes a few months ago and then 0 for 10 when he was up for royale.  Had a huge stash of gold and was off work today.  Cycled 18 frickin times and no babe, no chipper.  I am now 0 for 35 on the all time greats.  Come on Glu im due!!!
  • Options
    JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Sounds like everyone had a great day 😂👍🏼 I cycled 3 times and got Arenado all 3 times.  Spent 0 gold and just stopped after those 3 times.  I’m proud that I stopped before I went crazy chasing guys!  I’ve done way better when I scoop up 1 player I need and then call it a day.  Upgraded my first basemen today and scooped up Arenado without giving myself a migraine.  Just breathe everybody....Breathe 🙌🏼 
  • Options
    MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts

Didnt have a ton of time to play today but man it was a grind when I did.  Had 2 cycles with about 2 hours to go and said screw it and went from silver to gold.  And man gold is sooooo much easier.  Did 3 cycles in the final hour.  Unfortunately I got Betts all 5 times today.  My squad isn’t the greatest but did much better then a silver squad full of legends.  Excited to join gold and get my Posada capped soon and Boggs after him. 
  • Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    So the 3 last cycles I kept to open after the event? All Arenado. That makes 4 out of 7 a 15% pull. Not complaining but how is that random?
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    @Mattattack what is Bogg's max? Do you really need to spend the LXP on him having Muncy already?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @Houmy random is as random does....
    So I've seen quite a few posts mentioning that woh is easier in gold than in silver... but I guess the difficulty comes after you win the player in terms of leveling... fair to say?
  • Options
    @Sandpipers sorry to see about the cycling problems buddy. I'm rooting for you on Wednesday. Maybe you'll land a 480 catcher?

• Options
    Thx @Houmy the moral support has been great from guys today :)
    I knew it was gonna be one of those days as soon as I lost a couple autoplays in level 1 lol
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    @Mattattack how much LXP did you need to get Ruth from Silver 10 to Gold 10? I want to go to gold but I have 4 legends now so I'm not sure I ever will be able to.
  • Options
    Houmy said:
    @Mattattack what is Bogg's max? Do you really need to spend the LXP on him having Muncy already?
    It’s 491 and that’s a fair question.  Would have been easier to answer if I pulled Arenado.   Muncy did ok vs Kimbrel in a small sample size.  I guess we will just have to see what happens the next couple weeks.  I assume to have Posada capped by next months VIP gift at the latest 
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @Mattattack how much LXP did you need to get Ruth from Silver 10 to Gold 10? I want to go to gold but I have 4 legends now so I'm not sure I ever will be able to.
    I believe it’s roughly 107K. As you can see he’s my only legend capped in gold right now and he did so much better against Buehler once in gold.  I’d say if you can cap him and have a few decent primes then go for it.  I’m about to trade in Knoblauch, Carter, Reggie and Bags for some Lxp.  Once I get Posada capped I expect little to no issues unless they raise the difficulty 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY Can you show your bats? I only leveled two legends and traded in the rest. Gold is significantly easier than silver. If your resources are semi-reasonable, I strongly advise making the jump.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

OK, curious as to everyone's thoughts.  Usually, i may grumble a little, but I'm able to cycle 5-6 times with minimal gold expenditure.  Maybe 1000 gold for 5 cycles.  Yesterday, I had my best lineup ever at Gold: Mantle (9), Ted Williams (10), JD Martinez (10), Posada (10), Muncy (10), Puig (10), Correa (10), Griffey (10).  All with skills up to level 8 or higher. 

I cycled once and it cost me almost 3K gold.  I spent about 1500 gold trying to cycle again.  Played straight from 830 - 1130 and simply could not beat Buehler.  Had trouble with Miller occasionally, Kimbrel occasionally, but I was probably 1-24 against Walker -- using Mickey, Teddy and Posada.  It often ended 9-4, but occasionally I'd get fastballs to start, and then they'd go away once i got to within two runs.

Again, I cycle all the time.  Suddenly yesterday, could not do it.  Random spate of bad luck?  Curse of Mickey, whom I acquired last week?  Or did I suddenly forget how to tap?

• Options
    mynolesrockmynolesrock Registered Users, Member 45 Posts
    I can usually cycle 2 times at least and Buehler ate my lunch.  Tried him with Reggie about a dozen times and only got within 1 run twice.  It was curve city.
  • Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @Metsicans I had my best roster every with both Perez and Arenado to anchor my lineup and could only cycle once. First few hours of the event I was getting to Buehler no problem beat him on 5th try no gold spent. After that Flaherty, Miller, Kimbrell and Buehler all were giving me fits. Towards the end I used some gold on restarts like a fool and was going 3 up 3 down... was able to stop myself after 3 gold restarts. (3 too many). 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    nym5fan said:
    @Metsicans I had my best roster every with both Perez and Arenado to anchor my lineup and could only cycle once. First few hours of the event I was getting to Buehler no problem beat him on 5th try no gold spent. After that Flaherty, Miller, Kimbrell and Buehler all were giving me fits. Towards the end I used some gold on restarts like a fool and was going 3 up 3 down... was able to stop myself after 3 gold restarts. (3 too many). 

Well, at least I wasn't alone.  Misery loves company.  I was so mad at myself for spending all that gold.  I barely needed any of the players, even the Babe (given the cost of leveling up an ATG, and I already have Mantle).  Arenado would have been a modest upgrade over Sig Prime Muncy, but nothing I was desperate to have.

Pride got the best of me, I guess. 

• Options
    @Houmy random is as random does....
    So I've seen quite a few posts mentioning that woh is easier in gold than in silver... but I guess the difficulty comes after you win the player in terms of leveling... fair to say?

@Sandpipers I've seen others posting the same and it did seem a little easier to me when I went gold myself but it could have been that I had read the posts stating as much and  my expectations may have made me think that way. Personally I don't see why anyone would have different luck in different tiers if the batter outranks the pitcher by 80+ points.

When the difficulty was higher with just one player as the prize I was cycling the same in silver or gold and it was just the one cycle as even that cost me a good chunk of gold. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

• Options
    @DFBB well... I'm kind of a hoarder so I have tons and tons of inactives. Right now I weirdly have more prime xp than blue xp (result of all the recent players that take blue xp). 

Here's my bats with handedness/max/skill/xp type) - 

C - Mike Scioscia - L - 475 - vs R - LXP
    1B - Freddie Freeman - L - 435 - RISP - BXP
    2B - Whit Merrifield - R - 430 - vs L - BXP
    3B - Nolan Arenado - R - 480 - WOH & RISP - BXP
    SS - Andrelton Simmons - R - 435 - vs R - BXP
    OF - Willie Mays - R - 520 - WOH & vs L - LXP
    OF - JD Martinez - R - 485 - Blowout - PXP
    OF - Mike Trout - R - 430 - vs R - PXP
    DH - George Brett - L - 475 - vs R - LXP
    SUB - Eduardo Nunez - R - 435 - Tie Game - PXP
    SUB - Jose Abreu - R - 435 - RISP - PXP
    SUB - Jacoby Ellsbury - L - 374 - no skill - PXP

I have the Prime Castellanos from the Chains Out box too, but he isn't leveled at all (Bronze 1).

Also, I have a legend pitcher.

I'm quite partial to all of my legends. Probably would rather stay silver than get rid of any of them, sadly.

• Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    Houmy said:
    So the 3 last cycles I kept to open after the event? All Arenado. That makes 4 out of 7 a 15% pull. Not complaining but how is that random?
    Last royale I won 3 times, all of them JD, I too was questioning that a 15% chance and go 3-3 lol.
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    edited November 2018
    @Houmy i was thinking the same thing just now. 
    I've been cycling like 4-5 times lately (i'm in silver) with my current team, which includes capped legends like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Bernie Williams, Edmonds, Banks, Clark. Also capped primes like Signature Muncy, Signature Turner, Signature JD Martinez, the 2-skills Arenado and Perez.
    For me to go to gold and take at least my top 3-4 players to gold 10 would take LOTS of legend/prime XP, gold, cash and evos. Not really sure that i really need to cycle more than 4-5 times even if it's really easier in gold than in silver so i don't think it is worth the expenses.
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Houmy said:
    Last royale I won 3 times, all of them JD, I too was questioning that a 15% chance and go 3-3 lol.
    I got franchise coins 10 straight times from tournament boxes at 27% odds. So I kept track over 100 boxes. The odds did even out, but I wish it wasn’t so streaky 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @JEDDDOGGY if you do decide to go gold then I wouldn't level up the legend pitcher if he is less than 460 or maybe even 470. The 440-445 pitchers that are in the draft boxes aren't honestly worth leveling up as this late in the game you get even blue XP pitchers that are almost as strong. And personally I believe the same goes for any legend out of the 700 gold draft boxes as mostly I have seen 440-445 legends listed in there. 

• Options
    edited November 2018
    On a side note, and unrelated to anything discussed here, I am looking for @DFBB and his new thread for tomorrow. With the potential offerings I am hoping for a title along the lines of "WoH for 11-14-18: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!" :wink: 

• Options
    @Houmy the legend pitcher I am speaking of is Gaylord Perry (470 max). I am partial to him haha. Don't think I could let him go. Maybe inactive for a while as I gather more LXP, but never trade him in.
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY Perry I would keep too. Gave me a lot of grief as opposing pitcher in 17 and still does.

• Options
    Thx for the insight @Houmy and helpful comments from others on the silver vs gold thing.
    I see from several guys that the challenges I was having against miller, kimbrel and buehler were shared. In almost every attempt that I was able to score runs against those guys and got the score within a run or tied, the curves would come out and it would either be round over, or go to extra innings for the almost inevitable round over....especially miller and buehler. I wasn't as sharp yesterday and probably let a chance to win get by me with buehler the first crack I had with him at 9-8 by letting a fastball go to wait for a second one, but otherwise, every 9-8 score got me side retired quickly. In my defence, I'm doing that more often because of so many times where 97 mph etc. fastballs result in soft grounders or infield pop ups. I don't know if it's a new wrinkle in the rng or if the timing of the hit has to be more precise, but whatever the reason, there's been a significant increase, the last several wohs, in automatic outs from down the middle fastballs for me....so I don't automatically swing at first fastball I see and sometimes I get burned anyway because the next two pitches are curves. Anyway, I'm gonna take a break today and rest up for Royale and win the damn thing lol.
  • Options
    Thx for the insight @Houmy and helpful comments from others on the silver vs gold thing.
    I see from several guys that the challenges I was having against miller, kimbrel and buehler were shared. In almost every attempt that I was able to score runs against those guys and got the score within a run or tied, the curves would come out and it would either be round over, or go to extra innings for the almost inevitable round over....especially miller and buehler. I wasn't as sharp yesterday and probably let a chance to win get by me with buehler the first crack I had with him at 9-8 by letting a fastball go to wait for a second one, but otherwise, every 9-8 score got me side retired quickly. In my defence, I'm doing that more often because of so many times where 97 mph etc. fastballs result in soft grounders or infield pop ups. I don't know if it's a new wrinkle in the rng or if the timing of the hit has to be more precise, but whatever the reason, there's been a significant increase, the last several wohs, in automatic outs from down the middle fastballs for me....so I don't automatically swing at first fastball I see and sometimes I get burned anyway because the next two pitches are curves. Anyway, I'm gonna take a break today and rest up for Royale and win the damn thing lol.
    @Sandpipers I too have noticed more softly hit grounders from straight fastballs then in the past. And generally to me is seems pre-programmed. My timing on fastballs is generally the same and one round I could be cranking ropes down the right field line for doubles and triples, then the next attempt at the same pitcher I will be softly grounding to the first baseman. No difference in my approach just in the result. I think they just have it so you get certain chances at a winnable round for 5.10 and if you mess up that chance then it could be a while before you see another opportunity. 
  • Options
    @Sandpipers you weren't the only one with issues yesterday. While the pitcher ratings were low the pitch selection had changed to mostly curve balls and it would take me a lot of retries from 5.1 to get back to 5.10 again.

@nym5fan & @Sandpipers same thing with me and the soft grounders or popups with the fats balls yesterday. I usually own Miller and have never lost a round to him until yesterday. I was getting the fast balls from him but the usual doubles and homeruns turned into grounders and soft popups. Definitely more challenging yesterday getting through 5.7-5.9 than usual. 5.10 was much easier to me than 5.7-5.9. 

• Options
    @Houmy wish I could say the same for 5.10 but maybe if I had a stronger Lefty or Switch hitter 5.10 wouldn't have been so bad. I was getting fastballs but 260 12% dual skill Arenado could only softly ground to the first baseman majority of the time. I was usually down 2 outs before I started seeing fastballs too which is a very difficult obstacle to overcome when down so many runs with no one on base. I had one sequence out of 13 tries where the fastballs started coming off the bat enough to get singles and doubles. That was the one I won and got Betts from it. I can only hope Wed they go back to normal difficulty since it is the only way to get bonus for the day usually. As you say Houmy, "Let us eat cake!"