What am I doing wrong??!?!

SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
i can't cycle to save my life and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.  All skills are lvl 8 .  Someone give me cycling advice because every Monday and Wednesday I'm about ready to launch my phone into a wall 
Prev1

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Well I’ll be honest, you don’t have anyone with double active skills for walk-off hero. I struggle some days and I always unlock twice for level 5 (depends on pitchers). I have one from both sides which has double skills active (all of Harper’s and Davis’ skills are at 16%) and I couldn’t get it done today with a 20% boost on top of the skills. I can’t imagine only 1 active skill 

• benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    I'm afraid you're about 2 months late with the line up - it would have worked back in Sep / Oct but now the difficulty is way up. 5.10 used to be what we now see at 5.7 or 5.8
    I managed a few cycles today but it was really hard with the squad below. The pitches offered at 5.9 and 5.10 are too random for me - wouldn't matter if i had an extra 100 strength - if you can't hit em there is not much u can do
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @SakaV2 as @Bigpredfan pointed out today was specially tough no matter what kind of roster you have. I cycled just once today with the roster below as I gave up when I realized that GLU had intentionally turned up the difficulty on 5.10.

"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Like @Houmy said today was very difficult. It went from a 1-skill pitcher at level 3 to a 2-skill pitcher at level 6 pretty quickly here for 5-10. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    As already mentioned a couple of times, it's really important to have a bat who's double skills stack. As is, Lindor is your best lefty and more often than not, he just won't cut it at 5.10. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Ted Williams had no issues with perry, but the way this is going I’m gonna have to get the evo up to take war Mathews to platinum, wish I had more time yesterday to cycle for lxp. 
  • SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
    I got to Ryan once yesterday and saw 6 out of 8 at bats fall to curves sadly and lindor had no shot.  I love WOH but it my opinion unless you splurged on Black Friday you fell behind in the dust.  This game is for no casual player.  I'll keep grinding for double skill guys but I've been playing catch-up all year and at this point I don't think the event I love, loves me back 😂😂 hahaha
  • Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    Houmy said:
    I cycled just once today with the roster below as I gave up when I realized that GLU had intentionally turned up the difficulty on 5.10.

How do you know when this is occuring? I want to know when to bail as well lol. Conversely, is there an easy way to tell when they've loosened up a bit and made it more attainable?
    @Babybombers9 it was just too obvious with Ryan yesterday with almost zero hittable balls round after round. I should have called it quits early on but against my own good judgment I spent enough gold to cover 6 WOH events for me out of pure frustration. I am pretty sure that is what the devs have in mind when they turn up the difficulty. Shady as hell but it is what it is and "buyer beware" as they say.

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited December 2018
    I know I sound like a broken record with this, but - 

Approximately 120 cycles since Black Friday and have not pulled an ATG or Living Legend. 

Yesterday I somehow cycled 18 times and got Turner on 14 of those. I also got 2 giraffe's, a suzuki and a torii hunter (already had him).

I think their "random number generator" needs some more testing.

For those complaining about not being able to cycle: don't worry about it, because you aren't going to get a good player anyway and it will just make you more upset when you open your "prize" and receive a player you will instantly toss on the trash heap.
  • NAPREDATORS46NAPREDATORS46 Registered Users, Member 68 Posts
    While I hear your complaints about cycling so much and not getting great players I think the point is many aren't cycling,  those would probably be happy with the players your getting. At least with the satisfaction of cycling and of course the LXP and PXP. Problem being unless you spent $200 BF on players the difficulty have now been ridiculous and many have no chance...
    edited December 2018
    @NAPREDATORS46 that's the thing. The folks I do see that are beating it once or twice actually *are* complaining about the reward. It's December 20th- 90 percent of people don't need a prime 1B or 375 max Catcher.

That's the problem. Literally nobody is happy that is playing the game.

People that can't even beat it once aren't happy, well, because they can't beat it.

People cycling 20 times aren't happy because they just get the same junk players over and over.

People cycling 2-3 times aren't happy for the same reason, and they're even more unhappy, because they are slogging at this all day just to get a couple chances at a reward and don't get the meager satisfaction of racking up 100k LXP if they don't get a LL or ATG.
  • nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY nail on the head buddy. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Monday and Wednesday I wasn't at all concerned about the players available for rewards since 1) only the top 2 legends could help me and I know I'll never get either of those, 2) I already had half of the remaining guys so would for sure pull them again. So for me, it was only about cycling to get pxp/lxp and for club points. I went 1-14 on Monday , 0-10 I think Wednesday not counting the number of losses to Perry which were high. I don't think I have any excuses for not cycling multiple times since my match ups are 5.6 BF Lindor vs Hill, 5.7 Hunter vs Chapman, 5.8 Teddy vs Verlander, 5.9 BF Harper vs Perry and 5.10 BF Yelich vs Ryan. I tend not to boost until 5.9 and then use 20g with Harper and at 5.10 I tend to use 40g with Yelich (I've experimented a lot and have not seen any benefit to doing more than that). I didn't really have any technical problems yesterday for a change, but rather once again, just didn't get enuff pitches to hit. The sequences follow an irritating pattern and once I score 3 to 4 runs at 5.10, the guaranteed outs arrive. I've found more often then not lately, that if I get the score to 6-3, then load up the bases, I'll get the required grand slam to win. If I make the score 6-4 or 6-5, it's a guaranteed loss no matter how many outs I have left and how many are left on base. I do hit a large number of fastballs foul, so maybe it's just down to me improving my personal skills, but given the repeated patterns I face, not sure it will make much of a difference.
    It's all done with mirrors
    @Sandpipers you hit on one of my major gripes with WOH. 

If an at bat begins with a fastball, you'll get all fastballs. 

If an at bat begins with a curve/splitter/corner pitch, you will get no fastballs. 

This is true 95 percent of the time. I will admit there are rare occurrences where I'll get a curve on the first pitch and at some point in that same at bat see a fastball. That is very rare, however.

If there was any element of skill here, the pitches would be mixed up during each at bat. This way, you are penalized for missing a fastball. The next pitch could be curve. On the other hand, you are rewarded for taking a pitch you can't hit or fouling it off if there was any probability of getting a fastball on the next pitch.

Having each at bat being a predetermined outcome takes skill entirely out of the game and makes it less fun.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    My advice would be use a Yelich at 5.9 and Harper for 5.10. That way you start off with both skills active and don’t have to be concerned with the mysterious does it or does it not activate. Just my 2 cents...
    I've done that and the results were way worse for some reason @fahhq2
    Both skills are always on with my guys so that wasn't a concern... maybe it's just my skill that isn't hehe
  • NAPREDATORS46NAPREDATORS46 Registered Users, Member 68 Posts
    Correct on part of the problem but each continues to spend lots of money....until that stops why would glu change anything 
    My bad...I thought Yelich had a RISP skill. 😕
    ill try it with Yelich at 5.10 next time...
    @Sandpipers What do you have your skill levels at for Bryce/Yelich? That combo should be really good vs Perry/Nolan. 
    DFBB said:
    @Sandpipers What do you have your skill levels at for Bryce/Yelich? That combo should be really good vs Perry/Nolan. 
    @DFBB no amount of active skills is going to do you any good when the difficulty is turned up to the level it was yesterday and you getting nothing but unhittable balls. And judging by all the comments from yesterday it wasn't just a case of the RNG and rather a case of the Diaz/Snell days.

@Houmy I think you mean, level 10s Diaz/Neris. :)

To your point, I know we disagree on this, but I'm a strong believer in batter vs pitcher ratings directly influencing pitches. I also don't believe the difficulty gets 'ramped' up through different parts of the day. I realize that in regards to the latter, even in my club, my opinion is in the minority.

As an example, when Snell was the pitcher two weeks ago, My Mantle's skills are at 20/20 and I was able to do 22 cycles without spending any gold. When I use Babe at 5.9(or anywhere below), it's very rare that he doesn't get a full order of fastballs. After I capped my LL Trout(double boosted vs rightys), I didn't lose a single match vs Verlander. Also, I feel the need to boost with either the 40 or 80 gold boost with Babe because both of skills aren't always on. If there's a lefty, I'm content with just using a video boost since Mantle's stacked skills are always active. 

In regards to @Sandpipers, My BF Bryce is currently at 16/16 on his skills and as a result, he'll always be 35% without any further boost vs a righty. I use the video boost and it brings it up to 41%. At that number, I won maybe my first 9-10 matches vs Perry, then went about 50% for the next 10, before going about 70% the rest of the way. 

As far as the difficulty getting ramped up, I believe it's just odds. Yesterday, for example, I won 7 of my first 8 matches using Babe vs Nolan. I knew that rate wasn't sustainable and I was getting lucky. To that point, I proceeded to lose my next 5. After that, I fell into a 50% pattern. Do I think it suddenly got more difficult? Not at all. It was just that the odds were evening out. On the flip side, I've also had days where I started slow and finished strong in terms of my wins ratio. 
    I agree with @DFBB that the curveballs are a red herring. I've put this to the test (maybe inadvertently, albeit) a couple of times.

A couple of weeks ago I was losing on 5.10 over and over just getting all sorts of unhittable pitches. My frustration got to the point where I just stopped, went to the team tab, dumped a ton of resources into BF Yelich's skills. Leveled both of them from 12 to 17 in one fell swoop. Guess what? I started getting unlimited fastballs.

More recently, on Monday I was losing on 5.10 over and over again not getting nary a fastball to save my life. I'd just took my team to Gold tier a couple of days prior and had neglected the team upgrades. I went to the team upgrades tab, dumped a few million cash into the hitting upgrades and the clutch/hot streaks and took them from 40 to 60 in one fell swoop just as I did with BF Yelich's skills before. Well guess what, again? I started getting unlimited fastballs.

I went for 18 cycles yesterday and pretty much just trounced Nolan every time I faced him because my batter was leveled up so far above him that I was getting all fastballs, all day.

This is just one guy's experience with the game, but I think it's good evidence that the pitcher's selection is heavily influenced by your hitter's rating(s).
    I do agree for the most part @DFBB. It’s hard to define and prove your point tho. I think my bf Harper/Yelich crush on 5.10 and truly believe I would not get the same pitch sequence for let’s say 445 baby giraffe in the same at bat-but how can that ever really be known? If you did get the same sequence, one would not really need a high overall batter cuz we can all crush those fastballs, right? It is plausible that you get better sequences with a higher overall batter. Much like not starting out 5.10 with RISP skill, it is just speculation that pitch sequence and activation occurs...
    @fahhq2 Difficult to be scientific about it, but it's always the same guys that cycle a ton which strongly supports that batters determine the pitch sequence. Before I got Babe, Hendricks at 3.10 would always make me nervous. He was never a 'gimme,' so to speak. I'd win most of the time, but often with two outs and seemed to always have to sweat things. After I got Babe? Well, let's just say that I may make 2-3 outs all day, combined, vs him. :)
    edited December 2018
    @DFBB all my BF guys are at 10 and 11 skill levels, harper and yelich are at 11s... I'm out of evo so can't move them further at this point hehe
    Season mode playoffs by sunday I think so that could help a little, but after evo come lxp costs for skills and I don't have any of that either lol
    @Sandpipers It makes more sense now. Once you get their skills up, you'll notice a difference. I also have most of my team upgrades capped. If you can't do that, make sure you prioritize the ones with hitting and the intangibles that are associated with hitting.
  • snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    Here is my Babe. So can someone explain why I went 0-12 against Ryan the second time through? First time through beat Ryan first time. 
    edited December 2018
    I got a little  caught up in the bonus player stuff for points and spent resources on different things, so now I need to fill the coffers for pxp, lxp, and evo... oh and upgrades are maxed
    I assume you did the 80 boost too? If so, I would expect you to have better results than 1 for 13. This is my Babe and with the 80 gold boost, I went about 50%(15-29) yesterday. @Mattattack also has Babe's vs rhp skill capped at 20 and he was close to 70% with the 80 gold boost(he's also gold like you).