#SKILLGATE

MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
Tread carefully. This weekend Box has quite the Prime Event Skill. My Stanton has that skill. Hmmmm

Comments

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    I actually commented on another thread about how I have two RHP skill players and it was on for one and not another.....
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited March 2019
    Yup experienced this in quarter finals of season mode on latest run through, mostly RHB players against a RHP, no boost. LHB with RHP boost as well, nada.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Well documented now.....skills are off and on in bg’s and prime events. They seem to always be on for WOH though can’t tell after the first pitch sequence.  The “make up a story” CS agent told a fourmite that skills were not always active, just had the potential to be.  Seems to be the truth.

now if you want to picket, that’s your business. For me, it is what it is and so long as it is the same for everyone I don’t have a problem with sometimes skills.
  • MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
    Just saying those skills for keepers in 19 are quite expensive for sporadic activation. If you play some manual innings you will see a lot of inactive skills. CvC, Season, even Prime games. We should start a thread with just screenshots for Skillgate
    edited March 2019
    So don’t activate them.   

Honestly dont get the scandal.....skills ARE sporadically activated. It is the same for everyone.  When you invest in skills you ARE making your player better since sometimes the skills will kick in.  That is how the game is set up. You did not pay for skills active all the time. You paid for tapsports player skills which you now know are only sometimes active as a standard for all players.  You now know this but still aren’t happy.  

Why?
    Glu never disclosed the skills would only sometimes activate until we took notice and began questioning. Skills are an essential part of the game. Why offer them if they Only have a 50% chance of working?
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    So don’t activate them.   

Honestly dont get the scandal.....skills ARE sporadically activated. It is the same for everyone.  When you invest in skills you ARE making your player better since sometimes the skills will kick in.  That is how the game is set up. You did not pay for skills active all the time. You paid for tapsports player skills which you now know are only sometimes active as a standard for all players.  You now know this but still aren’t happy.  

Why?
    So your advice is to simply say oh well and move on? Considerable money is spent leveling those skills by most and had we known the random fact in advance we would have been more picky. I for one would never have leveled up any pitcher skills or batters that wouldn't be useful for levels 5.7-5.10 of WOH. And let's not forget that some of us don't even buy the "random" reason they gave to cover up yet another bug in a long list of bugs. It's all about transparency and consumer rights. 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

Please......they never said they would or wouldn’t work all the time.  So what?  You ASSUMED that they would work all the time....that’s on you.  As it turns out they work sometimes, same for everyone.  Why do you feel entitled to them working all the time!?  If they did then the game as it is wouldn’t work right and another algorithm would have to be adjusted to compensate.  The game is made the way it is made;  skills you paid good money for DO work....just not all the time.  Skills going on and off adds a variable element to the gameplay that the developers agreed made the game better.  Would you feel better if this variable element was in a buried unseen algorithm?  Probably would is the answer.   If Best Buy sells you speakers with a crack and refuse to exchange it then trumpet on about consumer rights.  This feature is by design, is the same for everyone, and improves your player......if you think skills investing does nothing then try beating WOH with a closer with skills at 0/20 and let me know how that goes.  

This whole self righteous indignation drama reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap where a character has a stereo system with a volume knob where max volume is marked “11” instead of 10.  In the scene he was extremely proud of his system, repeatedly bragging about how his stereo was louder than any other stereo in the world because his “went to 11”. Maximum is maximum, no matter what is written on the knob.  The skills your player has are to the standard of the game.....why should they be anything else?  If they were on all the time something else would have to change to compensate for the lack of random variable.  Try to relax and just enjoy playing.  
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    "This whole self righteous indignation drama"? Ok then that's the extent of this conversation with you then.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    "They never said they would or wouldn't work all of the time".  

Are you serious?  Do you normally purchase things with the expectation that it only randomly works?  And yes,  it would be different if it was clearly disclosed from the beginning that they don't.  It wasn't.

@bigvivec
    Let me ask you this.  Say you purchased a video game console as a gift for a close family member.  When they went to use it, it simply didn't work.  When you called customer service, they said, "Yeah, why did you assume it always works?  That's on you.  We never said the system was supposed to work 100% of the time."

That's literally your perspective.  And please don't say it doesn't compare, because people literally did spend video game console amounts of money on upgrading skills alone before this was disclosed.  (Which it never actually was, it was simply discovered).
    Bigvivec just doesn’t see it our way, which is fine. Skills will play a big part in 19 for these Keepers, let’s hope Glu makes it right!
    What you fellas don’t seem to get is that it IS working correctly.  Think about it from the point of view of a programmer.  He made the game so that skills are not active all the time to include a random variable which will make the game less predictable and therefore more exciting.  Now IF they were to pacify all of you and keep skills active 100% of the time then to maintain that element of unpredictability they would have to include ANOTHER algorithm run process which from all of your reactions would be better off as a hidden process. You would then have the SAME level of unpredictability as you currently have with skills going in and off, only you WOULDN’T know why you had success one at bat and failed another time since you WOULDN’T know if the variable run process was running a boosted scenario on not boosted since you insisted to have the current notification process lit as “on” all the time.   

Honestly dont understand the thought process behind all of you who feel shortchanged.  The game is what it is;  again, if you think boosts don’t work or are not worth the money then try to score as you do with your current skill boosted players or beat WOH with an entirely unboosted player and report back;  I guarantee that run process result will not be a variable one.

”.....but mine goes to 11.....”. 
    edited March 2019
    "They never said they would or wouldn't work all of the time".  

Are you serious?  Do you normally purchase things with the expectation that it only randomly works?  And yes,  it would be different if it was clearly disclosed from the beginning that they don't.  It wasn't.

@bigvivec
    Let me ask you this.  Say you purchased a video game console as a gift for a close family member.  When they went to use it, it simply didn't work.  When you called customer service, they said, "Yeah, why did you assume it always works?  That's on you.  We never said the system was supposed to work 100% of the time."

That's literally your perspective.  And please don't say it doesn't compare, because people literally did spend video game console amounts of money on upgrading skills alone before this was disclosed.  (Which it never actually was, it was simply discovered).
    Apples and oranges.  We are talking programming and software design not hardware maufunction.  It is not a comparable scenario at all.  

If if you want comparisons then compare to the in game algorithmic process that controls wether or not you’re going to get curves or strikes for a given sequence in WOH.  That is also a variable process and most likely shares RNG success / failure results tied together with the boost/not boost process as a variable in its determinations.  These processes are all linked and are the guts of the game;  they work as they do and add to the unpredictability.  As someone who cycles a lot, I would welcome even MORE unpredictability since many sequences are easily recognized early on and it kills the thrill of victory or defeat in that by the third batter you know how it’s going to end already.

it is not broken, it is by design as is all the intergrsted elements of gameplay.  Disclosure?  Please......as if laying out all the variable elements that get fed to the RNG either would affect purchasing decisions or even be understood just as this process is currently misunderstood.   
    BigV you went too deep. Your talking radio knobs, programmers & algorithms. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid and join a debate team. 
    It’s not broken fellas....get over it.  
    edited March 2019
    bigvivec said:
    It’s not broken fellas....get over it.  
    Your opinion.  Not shared by everyone.  Get over it.  

You trash the "American" expectation of good customer service and mock those who demand transparency.  Such is your right, but others have a right to disagree with you and side with the customer.  

And honestly not sure why you're differentiating between hardware malfunction and software "design" (very debatable) when both are presented here in this example as actual purchases with actual money but you've well established by now that it is pointless to argue this with you.
    "You would then have the SAME level of unpredictability as you currently have with skills going in and off, only you WOULDN’T know why you had success one at bat and failed another time since you WOULDN’T know if the variable run process was running a boosted scenario on not boosted since you insisted to have the current notification process lit as “on” all the time."

So, in other words,  you would have Walkoff Hero.  
    It is pointless because I am correct. Rather than attack me, attack the argument.  Just examine your point of view;  thrownout personal desires and be analytical about it and you’ll come around.  
    "You would then have the SAME level of unpredictability as you currently have with skills going in and off, only you WOULDN’T know why you had success one at bat and failed another time since you WOULDN’T know if the variable run process was running a boosted scenario on not boosted since you insisted to have the current notification process lit as “on” all the time."

So, in other words,  you would have Walkoff Hero.  
    No.....in exact words you have the game in all of its modes with included variants for the RNG to make the gameplay as interesting as the designers were able.  
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    No. They made different skills for different events. They did not make the skills randomly activate via RNG. They screwed up the coding for the skills when the double skills came about. But at that point it was too late to fix because they had already started working on 19 (and apparently still failing) 
  • AcesehAceseh Registered Users, Member 37 Posts
    Bigvivec, can you give me another example of something similar to how these skills work? In every other video game ever, when you upgrade your skills you do so on a permanent basis. You are 100% told when something is temporary. 

RPGs, you upgrade your magic, it’s permanent not randomly activated. 

FPSs you upgrade a weapon, it’s permanent not randomly activated.

You see my point here.

If you’re cool with being mislead for months, that’s okay and great for you. But don’t come in here and tell others how to feel when they feel slighted. 

This is is just another scumbag move by Glu and it’s just one of many on a long, long list. 
    And based on your arguments I guess you’d be okay with your Gold 10 guy showing up for bat as a Silver 2 because we gotta have total randomness programmed in. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I have this theory. Ever notice that the more recent events(WoH and CvC) don't ever seem to have issues with skills being activated as advertised? It's always the other modes, designed before skills were introduced, that seem to randomly be bugged. Well, it's my opinion that the skills programming clashed with the other modes and as a result, they don't always work as intended. However, the more recent events were programmed from the ground up, with skills in mind. Hence, they always work as intended.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    @DFBB bang on man. Its definitely a bug that they just didn't want to acknowledge, and look like they were the ones at fault. Its all about playing it down like it was "intended" to be like this. Either way, 18 is pretty much over. As long as they let us know in PLAIN WRITING how the skills are suppose to work before we start dumping huge resources into skills, I am fine with it. Random, not random w.e just make it clear from the get go.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    I 100% think DFBB is dead on here. God forbid the fix it, or at the very least admit the mistake. Nope, Glu gonna Glu 
    Exactly why this topic was discussed. This weekends boxes have a lot of players with “prime event skill” which is basically useless to dump resources in.
    Prime event skill IS useless....I personally average nearly a perfect game and around 50 runs a game....no need for a boost in that scenario UNLESS I was a dedicated streaker.  
  • paidoffpaidoff Registered Users, Member 106 Posts
    Regarding #Skillsgate, it appears as though the issue hear is proof, and the fact that no one has anything to show proof probably says a lot.  Funny the word #skillsgate indicates a cover up, and this isn't an accident, I presume.  

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned anything like the Blowout skill not coming on when appropriate.  This skill has always been active in my playing experience.  I suppose the Blowout skill isn't functional for you guys, just like the other skills or it would have been talked about.  RISP skill?  Bases Empty skill?  I mean, who is to say this game isn't different for everyone?  At least for me, it looks like it is.