Options

Best possible team of heroes

tangoraventangoraven Registered Users 42 Posts
What's your favourite team of four? The best part of HoD that I love is the strategic choices made in the team of four.

At early levels, I generally just toss in a couple of melee tanks and a ranged support and a healer but as I got further into the game (100+ party levels), I find myself getting far more selective in my hero choices.

Here's my take on the best pick of the crop.

Tank - If the tank has low defense, the healer simply cannot keep up as the tank loses hit points faster than she can restore them. This means Tiberius is by far the best tank late game due to access to heavy armour. His defence is almost 200pts higher than my other two melee heroes Brenna and Rognan. Brenna however makes a nice secondary tank despite her low defense due to her high dodge chances, especially if you max out Agility.

Healer - Both Thea and Tlanac are generally close with their healing but Thea edges Tlanac out in two areas. One, Tlanac uses a two-handed rod and Thea carries two one-handed weapons - a wand and an orb. Having two weapons means that as long as you can afford the upgrades, Thea should have a slightly higher heal rate. Of course, this also means that Thea is more costly to maintain. Two, Thea has a better skill ability the Astral Stun which is a low range version of Temblor.

Ranged support - Z'dar is hands down the only compulsory hero that must be taken in all well designed teams simply because of Temblor. Temblor basically gives you a 2 to 6 sec get-out-of-jail-free ticket. The short panic (or stun time) is sufficient to fully heal a critically wounded hero and/or bash the brains out of an enemy healer. It's a pity that the cast delay for Temblor is so long, I would have preferred it to have the same cast delay as Battlecry, i.e. almost instantaneous.

This fleshes out three of four team members for me - Tiberius, Thea and Z'dar. My fourth hero is usually any random low level hero that I'm trying to level up to increase my party level. If I get into a pinch, I like Alia as my number four, as she, like Z'dar, is a ranged attacker and ranged attacks are easier to focus fire with than melee. Alia also has decent armour, coupled with early access to Agility, which makes her more survivable.

Comments

• Options
    scape211scape211 Registered Users 45 Posts
    Have you tried any of the gem based heroes? I have a couple, but only because i got gems through Tapjoy (free methods). So far I got Nyxx and Leogan. Both are fairly good and are part of my regular lineup.

Nyxx is a strong healer with some light damage from pain field. Shes really similar to Thea in that she holds a wand and orb and her first 2 abilities are very similar (area heal and a single target shield). Only the last ability is different and one i dont often use so Thea's last ability seems a bit stronger. However, Nyxx has better overall healing and better passive abilities (Nyxx trades out movement speed for dodge rate). So since her basic healing skill is most important to me, i play her over Thea.

Leogan is a ranged fighter. His range damage to start is good, but seems a little slow so im not sure on his overall DPS. His abilities are good, but a bit more exotic:

- His first ability is a drain life shot. Its weak at first, but after being fully leveled, it hits all enemies on the screen and basically fully heals him so its quite powerful.
    - Second ability is mind control. He takes control of an enemy for 5 seconds. Fully leveled, it does 10 seconds and damages the enemy for 300%. (bosses are immune to this)
    - Last ability is an AoE poison field. Not bad, but not as good as the others really.

As for the other characters, I use Tiberus a lot since hes the only tank i have :). He does this role well and i have focused on his first ability, his movement speed, and blocking for upgrades. Simply put - it makes him a better tank.

Alia and Brenna i switch back and fourth depending on whose leveling. However, Alia is better IMO simply because shes a ranged attacker. With Tiberius in the party, I can easily aggro all enemies with him and kite them while she happily shoots arrows. It works quite well.

If anyone has insight on the other gem based heroes, I'm curious to know.
  • Options
    Whoa, just bought Fel'mor and i think hes going to be my go to tank :)

He has taunt (which you probably all know from peaking at him in the store) which can reach the whole screen and decrease enemy defense when fully upgraded. Aside from that he has other things that make me think he's a better tank:

- defense bonus
    - has battle cry and charge just like Tiberius
    - can start upgrading passive blocking right away
    - and has a passive ability to leech life (2-16% lifesteal depending on upgrade level)

I certainly dont mind trading in the shield ability for these added benefits :)

if you are thinking of buying a gem based hero, hes a great candidate even if only for swapping out tanks while the other one levels.

PS - once i get all characters i plan to make a detailed assessment of each if peeps want one.
  • Options
    QwaldQwald Registered Users 14 Posts
    I was also planning on saving credits for Fel'mor. He seemed more useful than others and personally looked awesome. Too bad he's so expensive...

As for the best team, when a level is more difficult, I tend to use two healers. One on the tank, and the other on my dps. Like that, I'm sure to stay alive and if an healer dies, I still have a good chance of finishing the level. It's just way slower ;p
  • Options
    Yea, I'm beginning to gravitate to teams of two healers and two ranged attacks. Late game (south Lerona), most creeps KO my heroes with one or two hits so dodging them is the only way to survive. Ranged heroes have a longer time to dodge attacks.

Even Tiberius gets killed with two-three hits.... I'm saving up for Kassia so I can field a team of three ranged attackers and one healer.
  • Options
    tangoraven wrote: »
    I'm saving up for Kassia so I can field a team of three ranged attackers and one healer.

let us know her skill tree if you do. She's the only one I haven't bought yet
  • Options
    Matheus RabeloMatheus Rabelo Registered Users 5 Posts
    my team is tiberius tanking, he's lv16 (114 atk, 324 def and 512 hp), Z'dar lv 13 (168/203/460), Tlanac lv16 (143/203/420) and Thea lv16 (131/196/435). I'm at the king lizards stage right now, tried a couple of times and lost coz my galaxy nexus freezed when there comes like 12 monster being 2 healers, that weird flying eye, that other thing that spins and combos like 5 strong hits in 1 sec besides causing fear in my tiberius ;/

i like this team a lot, but i'm seriously considering buying fel'mor.
    and i wanted to know if Leogan is worth its price

Oh, almost forgot, i got Brenna lv 15, Rognan lv 8 and Alia lv9. My party is at lv93 right now ;b
  • Options
    DialcaliperDialcaliper Registered Users 1 Posts
    scape211 wrote: »
    let us know her skill tree if you do. She's the only one I haven't bought yet

(HoD On iOS) At first glance, Kassia has an identical skill tree to Alia, but with different icons. This was disappointing at first, until I realized the subtle differences are actually rather significant, if not very unique. She's the only gem hero I bought, since she was cheap enough to buy with couple of Tapjoy promotions.

The passive abilities are the same, and Ice Shot (and its 3 upgrades) is identical.

The differences:
    Most significantly, Kassia has approximately 40-50% base damage bonus over Alia

Rapid Shot has the same bonus percentage but it increases both speed and damage by the same amount, instead of just speed (50% speed and damage) - Up to "Supersonic" which is +150% speed and damage, which is almost ludicrous. Before the last update (where training times were reduced, it seemed the bonus was lower, starting at 30% and supersonic at 100%, which was more reasonable - makes me wonder if they tried to buff Alia, and ended up also buffing Kassia) It's also worth noting that the damage bonus stacks with both Ice Shot and Arrow Shower, and of course her increased base damage.

Arrow shower is also functionally identical, except instead of "Low Damage", it instead does "Max Damage" every tick. It also increases in damage with improvements. Where Alia's shower is kind of wimpy (with a point or two, she does about 50% normal damage), Kassia's obliterates most normal enemies caught in the area. And if that weren't enough, activating rapid shot at the same time further increases the damage (hard to tell if it increases the attack speed though)

In short, Kassia is Alia on drow steroids. As a damage dealer, she is one of the strongest, with defense on par with Alia. She is quite powerful and is one my favorite characters, but Alia seems somewhat weak, compared to the other non-gem heroes, even considering that Kassia is supposed to be "premium". I eventually ended up dropping Alia to the "B" squad, since she is not durable enough for the damage she does, (compared to say, Z'Dar, who seems to hold up better because of health points).

Example damage around character level 17-20 and party level ~135 with the same equipment (fine reflex bow): both characters with 2-3ish points in arrow shower, and rapid shot upgraded to ~70% bonus. Arrow shower is typically 3-4 strikes per use.
    Alia: Base ~130, arrow shower ~65 per hit, (shower+rapid shot ~65 per hit)
    Kassia: Base ~200, arrow shower ~230 per hit (shower+rapid shot ~390 per hit)

The rebalancing suggestion I would make is that Alia's arrow shower should be improved to do a bit more damage, and maybe her base damage boosted slightly, or make her rapid shot the same as Kassia's with bonus damage - she seems to barely outdamage Tiberius and can't seem to keep up with the melee heroes, who have better abilities.

For Kassia, she's definitely a "premium" character, but it is unfortunate that she doesn't have any varied skills like the other gem heroes.

If I were picking, I'd replace Ice Shot with a different effect or something else entirely that is in line with her "Drow" heritage - some suggestions:

1) low damage shot plus a "sleep" or stun effect.
    2) temporary invisibility that lets her evade enemies, but not fire
    3) temporary boost to dodge, but with reduced damage.
  • Options
    KarnageKarnage Registered Users 49 Posts
    I would also like to have a different skill instead of Ice arrow, I do not use that skill much as I am too busy running around to avoid damage or I manage to kill things with shower.
  • Options
    Ice arrow is invaluble when facing bosses as bosses cannot be stunned using tremblor so slowing is the next best solution. I use Alia alot due to the usefulness of ice arrow and rapid shot which both have relatively fast cooldowns.
  • Options
    HobtuseHobtuse Registered Users 21 Posts
    I use a team of Tiberius + Rognan + 2 Healers (Nyxx via tapjoy, Tlanac and Thea) and that is my favorite combination thus far. I think 2 Healers are the best if you wanted to use Tiberius + Rognan and currently I have progressed to the Ice Demon (Area 12) but would need to upgrade my gear before taking them on. Sometimes I rotate Z'dar in but he seems to belong in a different combination with a tank character, 2 ranged and 1 healer.

Saving up some gems via Tapjoy+quests so that I can pick up another gem character later. Leogan and Kassia are interesting but I will probably opt for Fel'mor due to the possibility of completing more quests and that he is probably a much superior tank to Tiberius.

Some questions though:
    I have Tiberius at >200D more than Rognan right now but critters are hitting Tiberius harder than Rognan (happens frequently). Is there a bug? at first I thought it was Tibs' weak magical defense but this happens even during melee combat.