Subscription-based model

obsidian743obsidian743 Registered Users 64 Posts
Since Glu seems intent on making a profit on this game, and since it's impossible to be competitive without playing non-stop or spending a ton of money, how about a subscription-based model instead of a single-pay model? I'm thinking a price point of something like $.99/month or maybe even as high as $1.99/month. The benefits a subscriber would get:

1) Increased daily rewards: instead of coins, they get Glu Credit.
2) Increased drop rate: double the drop rate of Glu Credits and prizes.
3) Increase probability of getting a Champion Ally when completing the Daily Challenge.
4) More daily challenges.
5) More waves.
6) Ability to exchange coins for Glu Credits.

This would do several things:

1) Potentially increase profits: there would likely be a higher number of subscribing players that would subscribe over a longer period of time.
2) It would extend the playability of the game, extending profitability in the long-run. Right now, the game is uninteresting for non-paying players and it loses its appeal real quickly.
3) Cut down the extreme over power of the paying players, retaining more non-paying players and possibly increasing subscribers.
4) Possibly cut down on the number of cheaters. Not necessarily so, but possibly.
5) Other benefits?

Comments

• Kush_snipesKush_snipes Registered Users 1,067 Posts
    How would it cut down the number of cheaters? Just wondering

And if they make convert coins to glu credits or gems they will lose a lot of money because no one will buy the gems or coins pack anymore since they can just convert it
    IMG%5D
  • obsidian743obsidian743 Registered Users 64 Posts
    How would it cut down the number of cheaters? Just wondering

And if they make convert coins to glu credits or gems they will lose a lot of money because no one will buy the gems or coins pack anymore since they can just convert it

Right now, it's all or nothing: it's next to impossible to compete without spending a lot of money or an incredible amount of time playing. Most people cannot do either and quit playing or resort to cheating. It's a perpetual problem that destroys the economy. Right now, I would say the vast majority of the people playing this game are probably cheating. What does that say about the game's economy? No one wants to invest the time or money necessary to keep up because it's a black hole with little reward. Making game content cheaper and easier to obtain in the short run while also making the game itself more rewarding would discourage quitting and make the game competitive for those who would otherwise want to cheat because they cannot afford to keep up.

As for your second point, it's not that black and white. It's a multi-tiered approach. First off, in my proposal, subscribers are paying for the ability in the first place so Glu's not necessarily losing money. Second, they'd have to "price" whatever the exchange rate might be and it may have to be pretty high, say 100,000 coins per Glu Credit (or higher). But it does have to be reasonably obtainable. Think about the game economy as a whole. Think about the kind of people that want to invest their time playing this game. People that are willing to spend a lot of time on the game are likely to be competitive and entertained by the game's reward and achievement system. Also, the longer people invest in a game the more they could be marketed to. The more they're drawn into the game the more competitive they're likely to become and therefore more likely to spend money on the game. If you can hook into this with proper marketing by finding a good exchange rate that keeps the player actively challenged for rewards, it can be very profitable in the longer run. Glu can choose to make $100 off one player or $10 off 10 different players, but drawing 10 players into the game's economy will likely net more returns in the longer run.
    Right now, it's all or nothing: it's next to impossible to compete without spending a lot of money or an incredible amount of time playing. Most people cannot do either and quit playing or resort to cheating. It's a perpetual problem that destroys the economy. Right now, I would say the vast majority of the people playing this game are probably cheating. What does that say about the game's economy? No one wants to invest the time or money necessary to keep up because it's a black hole with little reward. Making game content cheaper and easier to obtain in the short run while also making the game itself more rewarding would discourage quitting and make the game competitive for those who would otherwise want to cheat because they cannot afford to keep up.

As for your second point, it's not that black and white. It's a multi-tiered approach. First off, in my proposal, subscribers are paying for the ability in the first place so Glu's not necessarily losing money. Second, they'd have to "price" whatever the exchange rate might be and it may have to be pretty high, say 100,000 coins per Glu Credit (or higher). But it does have to be reasonably obtainable. Think about the game economy as a whole. Think about the kind of people that want to invest their time playing this game. People that are willing to spend a lot of time on the game are likely to be competitive and entertained by the game's reward and achievement system. Also, the longer people invest in a game the more they could be marketed to. The more they're drawn into the game the more competitive they're likely to become and therefore more likely to spend money on the game. If you can hook into this with proper marketing by finding a good exchange rate that keeps the player actively challenged for rewards, it can be very profitable in the longer run. Glu can choose to make $100 off one player or $10 off 10 different players, but drawing 10 players into the game's economy will likely net more returns in the longer run.

How can people cheat? I really don't see any possible way of cheating. Sure there are hackers but cheaters I don't get
    IMG%5D
  • obsidian743obsidian743 Registered Users 64 Posts
    How can people cheat? I really don't see any possible way of cheating. Sure there are hackers but cheaters I don't get

Hacking is cheating.
    Hacking is cheating.

Oh i thought u meant a cheat in the game like a glitch or something . Ok so hacking is cheating . Thanks for answering my dumb question haha . Since i also play on the ps3 I'm used to hearing hacking as mod menu's , prestige lobbies or unlock all. And cheating as glitching outside the map, using unsupported attachments on guns or using a exploit to not get killed and go into impenetrable walls .
    IMG%5D