Options

I can't believe how pricey

Nhughes87Nhughes87 Registered Users 5 Posts
This games items are way to pricey, even after the fix 4.99$ for 100 gems, which can really only buy one good weapon for one person, I mean I have paid for things in freemium game models before but this is outlandish! Are you guys even making any money off people?? Doesn't seem like te extremely high prices are the way to go if no one wants to pay them...

Comments

• Options
    FrancisFrancis Registered Users, Moderators 591 Posts
    Thanks for the feedback.

One of the things we make sure here on our forums is that new games have someone from the dev team reading and reviewing all comments. We are always looking for ways to improve everyone's gaming experience while keeping the game balance.

We will take into consideration all comments and go from there. I do want to say though that there are many players who have not purchased anything and are well advanced in the game so the game does not "require" these purchases, it would be nice to have the better weapons and it's a choice to make when it comes to playing a good game that is also promising.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please keep it coming and hope you can share some other experiences from the game on the forum.
  • Options
    scape211scape211 Registered Users 45 Posts
    Hey Francis,

I appreciate the response and let me first say that I really do enjoy this game. I’m a sucker for this style of game, but yours has great art direction, simple yet fun story, and overall great controls and gameplay.

The only thing that really hampers it is the cost of things and how it slows down or even stops gameplay. This isn’t really evident at first, but it becomes a problem as you start to get to about level 10. There isn’t really one area, but several so I will list them out for you:

1 – leveling up – most games like this have a level up system and so does yours which is great. However, having to pay for your character to level up is new. In realistic terms this makes sense; my character is taking some sort of class to be better or something, but since this isn’t a common occurrence in games it feels like a money grab. I love the idea of offering extra level up points for the price of gems though - that’s a perfect use of gems and I’m all for it (I often use it too since I see a great benefit in it). Another issue for leveling up is the wait time. I don’t mind having one, but the extremely long ones kill gameplay time and honestly drive people away from your game. Wait timers work for certain games like city building games since they are more casual and there are multiple things you can do while you wait. But I don’t think it works well here. I fee like people will start to play, hit a big wait timer on a key player, then not come back to the game so you loose people. If you need to keep the wait timer, I understand but I think it needs to be knocked down significantly.

2 – silver drop – this is probably my biggest issue, but was not initially a problem. When you start the game and when you first play a level, you get good XP and silver drops. However, replaying yields far less. In theory this works, but heres my issue with it – once I was able to buy a new silver based character, it killed my bank of silver and I could no longer get silver based upgrades in the store. This had a snowball effect – I couldn’t buy upgrades or better equipment and I couldn’t play the higher levels because I was too weak. So, I had to play the lower levels which gave me next to nothing in silver. I don’t know if others have hit this wall, but once I did I have been constantly playing the lower levels to slowly get enough money to buy new equipment. And since all levels have timers on them, I have to play them all, wait for the timers, play them all again, etc. Its very tedious and makes the general grind that happens in a game like this much much worse.

3 – gem cost – this is a lesser issue to me, but one I think needs to be addressed in some way. Simply put, gems cost too much. If I have to spend $10 to get one character, that’s too much. If I compare this to other apps – even paid apps – characters cost usually .99 cents. I don’t know if you have to drop it that much, but I think $10 needs to go further. I feel like $10 needs to net a person at least half of the available heroes, not just one. This can be done by either dropping the gem cost of heroes (and maybe items if you are feeling generous) or dropping the cost of gem packs (maybe a 200/300 gems for .99 cents).

I totally get the need to make money on a freemium game. And I honestly want you guys to make money since this is such a great game. However, the asking prices are steep and when you cant really enjoy the game without paying through the teeth, it makes people leave. And honestly if they are patient enough to stay (like myself) I will do everything in my power to not pay for something overpriced. If it was more reasonable, I would have no problem spending $5-10 since its well worth that.

Again, I only want to help because I think you have an awesome game here. I just hope these are things you can change and get people back to enjoying this cool game!

EDIT: Francis, I know you are a mod and not a dev too so don't feel like this is all directed at you. I just wanted to express it in hopes that it will get to a dev. My apologies if I'm using the wrong thread to do that.
  • Options
    HeidenHeiden Registered Users 12 Posts
    Well worded...agreed 100%
  • Options
    FrancisFrancis Registered Users, Moderators 591 Posts
    Hi scape,

No apologies needed. like it was mentioned, the forum is being read by the devs. Thanks again for your feedback.
  • Options
    Nhughes87Nhughes87 Registered Users 5 Posts
    I wasn't saying the game was to hard, it's a time sucker and the characters you have that are purchasable are extremely pricey, it's a fun game, just pretty much 50$ for all the characters is a bit steep I don't think that's unreasonable lol
  • Options
    QwaldQwald Registered Users 14 Posts
    I also agree with the high price of new heroes. Additionnal skill points are almost free compared to items that are just a little upgrade compared to the silver ones and heroes are just not worth mentionning.

As for the heroes, it's true that the waiting time is killing the gameplay. Wouldn't be much of a bother if you had more Heroes that could do the same role. From what I've seen, I'm always waiting for Tiberius since he's my only tank. And it feels that Fel'mor is way too expensive.

It would be nice if you could buy all the heroes with silver with a really high level requirement or a huge amount of money.
    Or at least lower the heroes price at around 50 to 100 glu credits. You get only 1 credit every 5 level and when you complete a 4 star mission for the first time. That way you could get one of those paid hero if you save your credits but would have to spend some real money if you want to get them all.

I know more Heroes will probably appear within the next few updates, but for now, you don't have that much diversity.

I also agree with the fact that replaying missions do not give enough silvers. I'm fine with the low experience, it's part of the game... but if we could at least buy new upgraded items it would be nice. In my own opinion, everything seems out of price.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I really love the game and will still keep playing it. But as another fellow video game developper, I have to say that a game is never perfect and there's always room for improvement! Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    PAOLEMIUSPAOLEMIUS Registered Users 24 Posts
    Agreed 100%!

Prices are so high, that I'm discouraged to buy any gem pack.
    You should consider to lover gem prices and reduce level up time.

Actually, with a 106 level party I'm playing less than half an hour a day.
    The game is like a Tamagotchi: I log on, check of levelling advancement and quit.

Regards
  • Options
    ebutler8808ebutler8808 Registered Users 2 Posts
    I 1000% agree with the previous statements about the wait time on training. I have gotten to the point where it is taking over three hours to train one hero and seeing as how my heros usually all tend to level at essentially the same time i spend at least 12 consecutive hours accomplishing nothing and that's if I remember to go back and get the next one started right away which due to having a life tends to not happen so its really more like a day to train my team. Then I'm lucky to get a few good hours out of actuall game play before I have to start the long annoying task of training again. *I've considered buying what I pretty much see as dupe characters with real money via glu credits but I just can't see paying 10-20 dollars on a characher that I'm starting from scratch on and then will end up having the same issue on with traning times even with a duplcate team memver for eveything I figure I will just end having to spend two days training to have 2-4 hours game play and that's hust not worth 40-80 dollars to me.
  • Options
    08nolanni08nolanni Registered Users 2 Posts
    I'm waiting for Felmore to be a 50% weekend deal (Since before patch 1.1.1) The 50% sales did not work :/

Having two complete teams makes this a much more fun game.

Thankfully daliy bonsus help a lot. (5,10,15)
  • Options
    ZerouZerou Registered Users 3 Posts
    I currently have 2 characters at level 30, and i had to spend 10,000 silver to train each of them. Imagine my surprise when training for level 31 costs 20,000 and a day and a half. That will take me a whole week to collect! The training costs are too steep.
  • Options
    BonesIIIBonesIII Registered Users 12 Posts
    Im at level 30 with many characters as well. Will probably stop playing now as its way way way too annoying saving up for days to train a character which takes nearly 2 days. I will echo everone else by saying the developers got greedy on this one. Methinks the long training times are meant to force people to use more characters (by paying extremely overpriced fees to get new characters). This creates a domino effect as it forces players to spend more as they have more characters and have more time invested. The developers are very shortsighted because i would probably spend more real money for gems if things were not so freakin overpriced and i didnt spend the majority of my time waiting for training times. I cant justify spending $10 on one character and $10 ormore on one item. The daily bonus was too little too late for most players. The packs are overpriced like everything else in the game. The only aspect of using gems that is fairly priced is getting 2 skill points for 5 gems. Gettings gems in game are too hard. I mean 1 gem for beating a level 4 dungeon regardless of level in game. Get real guys.

At the end of the day, the developers got greedy and they are starting to lose players due to ridiculously long training times and overpriced in app purchases.

As good as this game is, i wont recommend it to anyone due to these issues.
  • Options
    myke66myke66 Registered Users 1 Posts
    I came here to see if I wasnt the only one with these feelings. Games like these that require a large time investment its worth doing research to see how much of a "bait and switch" they are. Unfortunately with training times and prices what they are, I dont see the value in pumping that kind of money into an offline single player RPG.
  • Options
    Graz73Graz73 Registered Users 11 Posts
    I have wasted so much time and effort accruing these "gems"... I dont mind games with in-app currency. BUT this "pay to win" stuff is horrible.

I even signed up for eharmony to get 100 gems, and I'm married! (Don't worry I told my wife about it and deleted the account later)

the 5 gems to get double upgrade points is the biggest pain. I have been unable to get the second skill point several times because my gems were not added to my account quickly enough. I'm sure that will hurt my progress later when my characters can't level up any more.
  • Options
    SylkeCherubSylkeCherub Registered Users 26 Posts
    The wait times for training are far too long. The rewards for replaying (grinding) are far too weak. I actually don't have much of an issue with the gem prices.. They are steep, but not outlandish. Fel'more is a bit out of reach, costing $20. I had a bunch of gems from Tapjoy and spent $10 in gems to get him. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed. I will buy more characters if the game stopping issues get fixed.

1) The wait times for leveling must be reduced. Waiting a day should be the maximum wait in my opinion.
    2) Replaying levels (grinding) needs to yield more silver by either raising the reward or making trash items sell for more.

The beginning levels are great, but as you get above level 20 these things are fun killers. I will pay money for a game I enjoy. I'll even make a budget to pay a certain amount. But, if I'm not having fun, I'll delete it and move on.
  • Options
    KyriosKyrios Registered Users 2 Posts
    Devs your are insane greedy.
    Your nice game complitely unplayable without spending HUNDREDS dollars just on mobile game, which is an absurd.
    Ununstalling HoD, 16lvl chars.
  • Options
    DonniecaisonDonniecaison Registered Users 1 Posts
    Francis wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

One of the things we make sure here on our forums is that new games have someone from the dev team reading and reviewing all comments. We are always looking for ways to improve everyone's gaming experience while keeping the game balance.

Francis/HoD devs,

I really hope that you all do listen to your players, this would be the key to your game's success. You have a great game, and I am enjoying it (or else I wouldn't bother to post here.). You have one BIG problem with this game, that needs to be fixed, and a couple of minor problems.

I don't believe the prices of gems is the biggest problem, but what will become the downfall of your game is the extremely long wait times for leveling. Here are my reasons:

- my characters just hit level 14, and they have to wait 3 and a half hours to play again? I hear it gets up to a day and a half?
    - RPGs aren't FarmVille or restaurant story... I want to run more than three dungeons before I have to stop playing your fun game.
    - when we, the players, are playing HoD, we want to play a game, obviously. This down time will cause us to find other games to entertain us, and thus we play less of HoD, and may potentially forget about this game because we found another game that doesn't have ridiculously long down times.

I know here are your concerns:
    - the downtime makes us take more time to finish the game: simple solutions, more dungeons, less experience. It takes us longer to level up without the need for ridiculous wait times. HoDs dungeons are very similar, this shouldn't be hard to make more, or give a decent amount of replay experience and silver. Then we are playing your game for a longer amount of time and having more fun.
    - the money you make from people paying gems to train quickly: that's fine and dandy when it only costs one or two gems to finish training, but I speak for everyone when I say I won't pay so many gems to train quickly, this is a waste, nothing pushing me to do this. You all will make more money if you keep people playing.

- if you must keep wait times, I urge you to reduce the wait times and allow us access to more heroes to take there places, but I don't think this is necessary... Either no wait times or wait times of an hour or less is reasonable.

- The minor problem: silver. The cost of training gets really expensive, which is fine, but as said before rerunning old dungeons should yield a bit more silver.

I hope you take my comments seriously, because I know that I am backing up other posts as well as speaking for other players. I look forward to seeing the future changes of your game.

Sincerely,
    Donnie
  • Options
    genoredgenored Registered Users 28 Posts
    Dude its pricing system is fine.

They only want you to spend some money on:
    Buying Heores
    Hero leveling time
    Skillspoints
    Skill time
    Mission time
    Revive
    Item Upgrades
    Minerals for Upgrades
    Orange and Purple Items that are unattainable from playing the game.

Its not like they are unreasonable they only need a few hundred dollars from you ;)

Aren't you all the 1%?
  • Options
    CandleCandle Registered Users 13 Posts
    I can't remember the last time I played an app that literally gives you good items after you don't need it.

In order to get better weapons, you need to beat harder bosses and levels. In order to beat harder bosses and lvls, you need better weapons. You can get better weapons buy purchasing them with coins or gems. The problem with purchasing new weapons with coins is that you run out of money the minute you buy one item because they are overpriced. So, now you are stuck with buying coins or gems with real money or waiting almost 2 weeks of grinding to have enough coins to get one more of decent item. At this rate, it will take you a whole year to beat this game if you never used real money. It is doable, but incredibly unrealistic and hard to pull off.

Candledarklight
    Pa,mai
  • Options
    COBOKCOBOK Registered Users 62 Posts
    Candle wrote: »
    You can get better weapons buy purchasing them with coins or gems.
    You can also go to the next village and get much more powerfull grays/greens from the first missions. Then pass another village or two. And then get back to take blues/epics/legendaries to sell them for gold because your grays are much better for that moment.

Sounds stupid but it works. All game can be done by that way.
  • Options
    ncexnycncexnyc Registered Users 7 Posts
    I see a number of people constantly complaining about this game, yet for some odd reason they keep coming back for more. Maybe one of these people would like to take a minute and explain why they still play and post here if they have so many issues with this game.
  • Options
    ncexnyc wrote: »
    I see a number of people constantly complaining about this game, yet for some odd reason they keep coming back for more. Maybe one of these people would like to take a minute and explain why they still play and post here if they have so many issues with this game.

It's a bit unfair to say people are constantly complaining. I have many complaints about this game, however - what makes you think that having a complaint would cause a boycott? The thread was started by someone who feels the premium content is overpriced. It doesn't mean the game isn't fun.

Personally, I agree with the original poster. Glu is gouging their clients. Fel'mor cost 400 gems. That's $20. If you want to take advantage of the double-skillpoint leveling, you will need to purchase another 155 gems. So, you will buy 555 gems for 1 warrior. I had a good amount of free gems from TapJoy and spent another $20 to do this - so people do actually make these purchases. However, it doesn't change the fact that Glu is gouging their customers.

PC, X-Box and Playstation games often cost approximately $60 to purchase. To purchase 1 character for HOD and outfit him with the best weapons and armor can easily cost $60 - then you still have 3 characters minimum to outfit. Don't get me wrong - it's not mandatory to purchase anything to play. But the premium content is very pricey.

I'm sure that Glu makes money by enthusiastic players willing to buy here and there. I think they would enjoy much more money if they made their prices more reasonable. People like to get something for their money. Glu doesn't offer much value for a hard earned $20. Often ONE weapon will cost as much as 200+ gems. Really? $10 for one weapon that will be obsolete in a couple days (if it lasts that long)?

That's just the price problem - that is something that only affects those who spend money. Not all of us do. BUT - there are things about the game that are just clearly legitimate complaint issues - for instance - dungeon rewards. There are many levels of dungeons that offer a reward that would be epic, but end up being trash. Picture this - you enter a dungeon where the very hard level yields a fantastic LEGENDARY level 3 weapon only to find that it takes 4 heroes decked out in upgraded level 5 gear just to beat the level. So your reward is a fantastic level 3 LEGENDARY Axe. You bring up Rognan to equip the axe only to find out that what he's wearing is drastically better than this so-called legendary axe. Your epic reward has become epic vendor trash.

These are legit complaints. And things like this are in the game all over the place. However - as annoying as this kind of thing is - it doesn't mean the game sucks. It simply means that part of the game which somebody on their team intended to be fun and rewarding is worthless and disappointing.

I can be long winded - hope this example explains why we can have complaints but still come back for more - also, keep in mind - we are always hoping Glu is reading and trying to fix the problems we see.
  • Options
    COBOK wrote: »
    You can also go to the next village and get much more powerfull grays/greens from the first missions. Then pass another village or two. And then get back to take blues/epics/legendaries to sell them for gold because your grays are much better for that moment.

Sounds stupid but it works. All game can be done by that way.

Agreed, the magic items are the vendor trash, and the trash items are the ones you use to play.. Backward...but, that's how I've gotten to the end game..
  • Options
    jvmaniacjvmaniac Registered Users 5 Posts
    Good luck getting a legendary item to level 10. 5% chance? More like 1%.
  • Options
    ncexnycncexnyc Registered Users 7 Posts
    It's a bit unfair to say people are constantly complaining. I have many complaints about this game, however - what makes you think that having a complaint would cause a boycott? The thread was started by someone who feels the premium content is overpriced. It doesn't mean the game isn't fun.

Personally, I agree with the original poster. Glu is gouging their clients. Fel'mor cost 400 gems. That's $20. If you want to take advantage of the double-skillpoint leveling, you will need to purchase another 155 gems. So, you will buy 555 gems for 1 warrior. I had a good amount of free gems from TapJoy and spent another $20 to do this - so people do actually make these purchases. However, it doesn't change the fact that Glu is gouging their customers.

PC, X-Box and Playstation games often cost approximately $60 to purchase. To purchase 1 character for HOD and outfit him with the best weapons and armor can easily cost $60 - then you still have 3 characters minimum to outfit. Don't get me wrong - it's not mandatory to purchase anything to play. But the premium content is very pricey.

I'm sure that Glu makes money by enthusiastic players willing to buy here and there. I think they would enjoy much more money if they made their prices more reasonable. People like to get something for their money. Glu doesn't offer much value for a hard earned $20. Often ONE weapon will cost as much as 200+ gems. Really? $10 for one weapon that will be obsolete in a couple days (if it lasts that long)?

That's just the price problem - that is something that only affects those who spend money. Not all of us do. BUT - there are things about the game that are just clearly legitimate complaint issues - for instance - dungeon rewards. There are many levels of dungeons that offer a reward that would be epic, but end up being trash. Picture this - you enter a dungeon where the very hard level yields a fantastic LEGENDARY level 3 weapon only to find that it takes 4 heroes decked out in upgraded level 5 gear just to beat the level. So your reward is a fantastic level 3 LEGENDARY Axe. You bring up Rognan to equip the axe only to find out that what he's wearing is drastically better than this so-called legendary axe. Your epic reward has become epic vendor trash.

These are legit complaints. And things like this are in the game all over the place. However - as annoying as this kind of thing is - it doesn't mean the game sucks. It simply means that part of the game which somebody on their team intended to be fun and rewarding is worthless and disappointing.

I can be long winded - hope this example explains why we can have complaints but still come back for more - also, keep in mind - we are always hoping Glu is reading and trying to fix the problems we see.

If you've taken the time to read the various posts throughout this forum you'll quickly see that there are several posters who are constantly complaining about this game.

I understand that there are legitimate issues or percieved issues with this game. I also understand that there isn't a Glu employee standing in my home with a gun to my head forcing me to either play the game or spend money on this game.

I've spent a grand total of $20 USD on this game and after I did so I realized it was my own fault for not being patient. This is supposed to be a fun game. One that you play on a tablet or phone. If I want a hardcore game for the PC or my PS3 I spend the appropriate cash for a one time investment.

Play the game if you like it and if you find too many issues with the game move on. There are way too many choices available for your entertainment dollar to get hung up on this one.
  • Options
    sethwenensethwenen Registered Users 10 Posts
    I agree with the guy that started the post, I have posted my self before that it is hard to play the game without purchases, as I wrote before it started to be really hard to move from party level 70 to 95 and then when I went from 95 to 115 the game started to get boring, I am not an active player anymore because of this, now I play every once in a while when I learn there is an update hoping there is some balance to players like me that don't have a budget to spend on this former fun freemium game.

Oh well I guess that the company prefers to shrink its customer base for a reduce but probably risk free profit margin. So players like me even though we would like to continue playing the game we cannot because this guys just want to service rich or compulsive spender guys to receive whatever that constant profit margin they are receiving.

So god bless them and hopefully one day they can have something for the savy or not so rich players.

:/
  • Options
    vaiduakhuvaiduakhu Registered Users 21 Posts
    You can get many glu gold coins from daily bonus or levelling up in other Glu's games.
  • Options
    EziekialEziekial Registered Users 166 Posts
    I think everyone here has a good point. For those like me that are not wanting to spend RL $ I just use tapjoy and have been able to get the extra characters and double skill points. In the end it took patience as others have mentioned and keeps the game fun.

Many glu gams are this way but in the end I think tapjoy is the main reason I have been able to really enjoy these games with having to pay.