Suggestion on difficulty.

kingrobertkingrobert Registered Users 35 Posts
I'm 100% in favor of high difficulty in games. And some fights in HoD are definitely hard. They aren't the right kind of hard though.

I find that in difficult fights I usually end up loosing from one of these ways:
My screen just doesn't register my finger swipe as quick or accurately as I'd like and I end up missing on a movement or target change, leading to a hero death.
I have to do long elaborate kiting to win a battle and it eventually breaks down because of the aforementioned problem with my phone not picking up a finger swipe.

A fight being considered difficult should be because strategy is required to beat it, not because you have to "make sure your phone screen picks up all 200 finger swipes in a row without missing any." Kiting being a requirement to defeat harder encounters is a major cause of this. The battlefields being so small is another reason that successive micro-movements are essential and a single finger "mistouch" proves deadly. Not sure if anything can be done about the size of the battlefields... we're playing on smartphones after all. But I think reducing the amount of kiting required would really go along way to making the game more strategy dependent.

So why is kiting required? Because I'm trying to win a battle against enemies that can ripe down my tank even with 2 healers in the group. 2 solutions... you can either kite the enemies around while a ranged DPS kills them, or you can get better gear. Getting better gear does reduce the need for kiting... but it also eliminates the difficulty of the battle. I don't want the game to necessarily be easier. I want to be put in a position where developing a strategy is required.

There was another way that I would lose a hard battle... my skills would be on cooldown. To defeat a difficult battle, use of skills at the right time in the right way is essential... to solve this problem, I had to result to kiting around the last enemy of each screen until all cooldowns were ready, then finish the last enemy and move on to the next sequence. While effective... it's not fun. I suggest having skills reset their cooldowns on each new battle sequence. I choose battles that are hard (aka fun), and therefore require the use of the skills for each battle. This requires me to waste a lot of time resetting my cooldowns between sequences (not fun).

Comments

• rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    I'd like to see the good loot given on the missions which are actually difficult. I've waltzed thru level 60 missions and got good stuff but the same party gets waxed by a level 40 boss mission with no reward. Play balance is out-of-whack.
  • JMarsJMars Registered Users 1 Posts
    With the newest version I'm finding that the red 90+ missions are easier than the green 80 level missions. Even with leveling characters and gear, I'm still having a hard time. Anyone else? Not sure if this can be fixed?!?!
  • EziekialEziekial Registered Users 166 Posts
    Kingrobert has a good point about having kiting as part of stratagey in this game but when they only way to move your characters is with finger swipes that then becomes one of two basic game mechanics, player movement and cool downs.

Strategy in this game is limited to how fast and accurate you can move players in an effective way to survive and how and when you choose to use your cool downs to attack and survive.

Because this game is so limited I have found that kiting is one of the only options you have to beat some levels and was the only way I was able to beat the new hardest lvl on the game now with the one character I had left.

In the end I agree with you more stratagey would be better but with how the game functions at its core I don't know that more could really be required unless they added a way to have you play missions on multiplayer.
  • rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    Kiting as strategy is ok. It makes hard levels possible but it also makes the game boring. Developing games that actively promote kiting is bad for user satisfaction. I mean it's one thing to charge up spells before another wave of monsters but I think the game should start ever fight fully charged simply to improve user experience. If the heroes can group up and run to the next area they can heal and rest before getting there.