Options

Magic DEF

WinterHordeWinterHorde Registered Users 96 Posts
I was wondering how Magic DEF works exactly? Is it added to the regular defense? or is it a separate attribute?
I didn't put any points in to this one on any of my heroes but maybe I've made a mistake?

Comments

• Options
    rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    No one really knows as the game doesn't come with a book of lore and the devs are silent. We suppose it gives protection from magic attacks but it's unclear just how it works since the UI doesn't give any indication of blocked or reduced attacks. I know that as I've faced higher levels the darkness monsters are less affected by Zdar's Immolate spell. This could be the magic protection in reverse.

There are a number of possible attacks it could either thwart or blunt.
    • Mage, healer, and darkness can throw various type of red, yellow, purple energy blobs.
    • I don't know if I've faced one but some weapons state that they do magical damage
    • Then there is the scare attack that the darkness monsters do

The protection would likely reduce damage for any of the first attacks. Something along the lines of how armor reduces the damage of physical attacks. The scare effect seems to be an all or nothing thing. Typically the first attack triggers it but sometimes the hero seems to resist it. Then the ability to fire a scare attack comes back if the monster lasts long enough.
  • Options
    WinterHordeWinterHorde Registered Users 96 Posts
    You made some good points but I wonder if low magic DEF can be compensated by having more "regular" defense"?
    I mean, we all got our heroes to 500-1000 def so investing precious skill points to gain an extra 20 points is just ridiculous
  • Options
    rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    Clearly adding hit-points compensates but HP are based on party-level, class and a few item bonuses. Not a lot of control there. Whether or not the extra points is worth it depends on what those points buy you and that's back to the unknown.

I typically favor spending on defense before attack and frequent attack before periodic but I haven't maxed anyone out on foot speed and I tend to leave a few magic defense points on the table as well (at least for my four primary party members).