Advantages to buying level 1 vs. level 10 hero?

jidoublemjidoublem Registered Users 4 Posts
I'm totally new to the game and I have a decent chunk of leftover glu coins so I was thinking of buying a hero, but I'm not sure if there is any significant advantage to buying a level 5 elite or level 10 epic vs the standard level 1 hero. Is it just the level of gear that is different or is there something else valuable to the higher level hero?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice that you all may have.

Thanks,

Comments

• Tyman2222Tyman2222 Registered Users 58 Posts
    With a level 5 or 10 hero they come with better gear, but you can get that gear or better in the game, I would go with a level 1 because when you level up to 2 and 3 and so on, you can buy double skill points for healing (healers), dodge, block, earthquake (Z'dar). If you buy a level 5 hero you will get only 5 skill points to spend but if you buy a level 1 and level up to level 5 and buy double skill points for level 2, 3, 4, 5, you will have a total of 9 skill points. It helps you max out the 3 active skills and will help you get to spend points on damage power skill and magic power skill that gets unlocked when you have spent 30 skill points. If you go with double skill points you will have spent 31 skill points when you reach level 16.
  • jidoublemjidoublem Registered Users 4 Posts
    Thanks for the insight! After reading a bunch of other posts, I saw that most people prefer to buy at level 1 for the extra skill point opportunities. I'm going to be buying Fel'mor first (as that's what most seem to recommend). I was wondering if I can get him at a discount in one of those "helper hero" missions early, or if he doesn't show up until much later, or if its random.
    Thanks in advance!
  • WinterHordeWinterHorde Registered Users 96 Posts
    jidoublem wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight! After reading a bunch of other posts, I saw that most people prefer to buy at level 1 for the extra skill point opportunities. I'm going to be buying Fel'mor first (as that's what most seem to recommend). I was wondering if I can get him at a discount in one of those "helper hero" missions early, or if he doesn't show up until much later, or if its random.
    Thanks in advance!

First of all, you're right - ALWAYS buy heroes on the 1st level and upgrade them yourself. If it's a hero you're intending to use in the end game, invest 5 coins EVERY level so you'll be able to max his skills and unlock his full potential.
    If you become short on coins wait for the discounts. Every week there is a sale on another hero and you can combine the sale discount with the "hero mission" discount (they stack!). This will save you the most coin but obviously will take longer to obtain all of the heroes (and you want them all, trust me).
    Regarding popular heroes, I wouldn't necessarily listen to what others say, not because they are wrong, but because each player has a different play style and favors different characters. Take me for example - I will choose Narghal the demon over Felmor any day. I think they have almost the same qualities in defense but Narghal is able to deal way more damage and he's faster. Most people here favors Talanac as a healer but I prefer Nyxx... and so on.
    You won't know what your winning team is until you tried them all ;)

Good luck
  • Tyman2222Tyman2222 Registered Users 58 Posts
    I use Narghal, Kassia, nyxx, and o'da.
  • rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    My main party started with Tiberius, Thia, and Alia like everyone. I dumped Thia as soon as I got Tlanac, Tiberius as soon as I got Felmor and Alia as soon as I got Kassia. By dump I mean I only played them here and there while their counterpart was training (back then we didn't have the sand and hourglass...) Eventually I got them leveled up.

I passed Brenna and Rognan until after I had Tlanac and could see that I had the coin for Z'dar. Then I got them just to get the easy XP from their hero missions. I've now leveled them all the way up because base damage, hp and armor is calculated from party level and is not based on the level of the hero.

My first Glu purchase was Felmor. I've had a strong preference for him but some of that was biased. By the time I got Narghal Felmor was maxed out with all skills. Now that I've got Narghal maxed out I see that they are more or less equal.
    Felmor:
    -Taunt is better than attraction because of the AOE. It's also better against really strong foes because they can't necessarily hit you. Much of the problem is negated by Narghal's speed and extra jump
    -Vamparism means less need of a healer
    -Orange sword and shield can be won in the game. To get top-level weapons for Narghal costs.

Narghal:
    -Damage, but that's not a tank's primary job
    -AOE damage again, not the tank's job

My next Glu purchase was Kassia and she's been a favorite. Fast, good damage, great boss killer and a frost bow that isn't purchased.

Now that I have everyone (except Nyxx; I don't play her) would I do things differently? Well, the gunners were not available when I started so I might have favored Oda to Zdar. although weaker parties really benefit from a full field stun. The gunners also compete with Kassia (+ Brenna, Rognan) for equipment whereas Zdar competes with the healer ( +Leogan) so instead of two top-end items per slot you can get by with one.

Plan your final best party and max out the skills. If you have Glu credits spend on skills for the "maybe" heroes too.
  • jidoublemjidoublem Registered Users 4 Posts
    Thank you all for the great thoughts and advice! I'm hoping to get Felmor soon when I unlock area 3...I hope he is on the weekend sale so I can stack the discounts, but that's probably too much to hope for. Now I just have to go back and re-read a few threads about how the weapons you need to defeat high level fights become obsolete as soon as you win those fights and what I can do to mitigate that endless spiral into glu coin/gem oblivion!
  • rewandrewand Registered Users 588 Posts
    jidoublem wrote: »
    Thank you all for the great thoughts and advice! I'm hoping to get Felmor soon when I unlock area 3...I hope he is on the weekend sale so I can stack the discounts, but that's probably too much to hope for. Now I just have to go back and re-read a few threads about how the weapons you need to defeat high level fights become obsolete as soon as you win those fights and what I can do to mitigate that endless spiral into glu coin/gem oblivion!

Just don't get too focused on keeping any given weapon. You may win a shiny blue III armor and want to spend lots to upgrade it. Go ahead, push it to level 3 or perhaps 4. If you are stuck and you can't win any stars you may have to push to 5 (good armor wins fights more often than swords) but realize that when IV equipment opens up you will be comparing the green IV staff to the blue III and keeping the green.

Also look at how runic upgrades work. If you have lots of blue items, you might be able to focus on one or two of the more expensive/rare armor items as a way to "dispose" of unneeded blue equipment. Eventually these can grow to be as good as the best items in the game.