gameplay concerns.

tylerduerrtylerduerr Registered Users 26 Posts
as I've said before, I absolutely love this game. it's a genius idea and my friends and I can't get enough. that being said there are still tons of seriously obnoxious characteristics about this game that I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing.

1) pitching is straight out of looney tunes. I've never encountered Clayton Kershaw in TAP, but when I do...his curveball better leave the entire span of my iPhone screen and drop in for a strike. because we've got minor leaguers throwing frisbees on a regular basis right now.

2) Outfielders gain freakish speed when chasing down foul *****.

3) the pitcher fields anything & EVERYthing. no matter how hard you hit it, where his momentum is taking him, he fields the ball. what??? (unless a shift is on. in which case he lets the ball through to the infield shift for the out).

4) there are WAY too many double plays. it's almost as if the game takes note that you have a man on first and jacks up the probability that you'll ground out to an infielder who will turn the double play.

5) the hundreds of fast***** that pitchers just spike into the dirt need to stop. the camera is angled from above. you can't tell, from the perspective we're given, whether a fastball is level with your chin or the dirt. leaving sound to be your only guide. which isn't realistic if you're playing somewhere quiet.

6) it feels like the game handicaps you without notice when your offense is hot. I've had multiple players hitting as high as .400, only for them to free fall to more like .180-.240. it seems like the game puts you through hot and cold spells offensively. what's up with that? just leave it be.

7) I don't know what switch flips when it's comes to playoff games, but it's ridiculous. it's like much like 6) that I mentioned earlier. the game zaps you of any ability to produce offense, then regularly programs the opposing team to put up a 6 run inning out of nowhere. coincidentally (?) as soon as you squeak in a run to take a lead.

8) the game just isn't hitter friendly enough. we don't even pitch in this game. it's all turn based offense. so I would think it would be more hitter focused. but it's just not. groundouts, pop outs, fly outs...all occur way too often.

9) draft pick slot machine...still way harsh on how often you get the shaft. some people are spending real money on this stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered any of these issues and agrees with what I've concluded about them?

spicy_pants, or any TAP sports rep really, id love to hear from you regarding these topics. the game is addicting as heck. and I'd like to continue playing it. but I think a little dialogue with some answers would go a long way for us users!

Comments

• HeadRushHeadRush Registered Users 33 Posts
    Well said, agree 100%
  • ApplesauceApplesauce Registered Users 8 Posts
    A also agree with everything said here.

Also, for those that have friends playing as well the prices for a #1 Pic, first round pick and positional pick vary between device. My one friend only has to pay 100g for a first round pick and 300g for the other two while i have to dish out 300 for a first round pick and 500 for the other two picks. What gives? I even paid for the 1.99 to remove adds while he did not. Also, i played on my android device and found the prices different again at 150/350.

I'll also throw out the amount of lineout double plays is crazy.
  • 1986Mets1986Mets Registered Users 19 Posts
    I'd like to ask a few questions regarding gameplay:

1) Is the chance of a hit just based off of some sort of algorithm? Sometimes I think I've timed something perfectly only to have it pop up as if I screwed up.

2) Why do you sometimes go on hot/cold streaks despite playing the game the same way.

3) It recommends to get ahead of the count then wait for fast***** - yes this does help, but then when I get a fastball first pitch and nail it perfectly it often flies out. Is a fastball (or any pitch) late in the count (or simply in a hitter-friendly count such as 2-0) more likely to go for a hit or does this not really matter?

4) If I do wait on pitches does a pitcher tire DURING an inning OR tire as a result of me seeing more pitches? Or is it simply based off of how many hits you've landed and/or runs you gained against them?

That's all I can think of for now...
    1986Mets wrote: »
    I'd like to ask a few questions regarding gameplay:

1) Is the chance of a hit just based off of some sort of algorithm? Sometimes I think I've timed something perfectly only to have it pop up as if I screwed up.

2) Why do you sometimes go on hot/cold streaks despite playing the game the same way.

3) It recommends to get ahead of the count then wait for fast***** - yes this does help, but then when I get a fastball first pitch and nail it perfectly it often flies out. Is a fastball (or any pitch) late in the count (or simply in a hitter-friendly count such as 2-0) more likely to go for a hit or does this not really matter?

4) If I do wait on pitches does a pitcher tire DURING an inning OR tire as a result of me seeing more pitches? Or is it simply based off of how many hits you've landed and/or runs you gained against them?

That's all I can think of for now...

1 more question - How long does it take for an inactive game to get forfeited by the opposing player AND if they do reach the forfeit limit do I get credit for the win?
  • .pirates..pirates. Registered Users 2 Posts
    I agree, with everything. I think every one does. It's a hitting only game so it should be more hitter friendly and more balanced and The pitching drives me crazy because it's so unrealistic.
  • KingdinglingKingdingling Registered Users 211 Posts
    tylerduerr wrote: »
    as I've said before, I absolutely love this game. it's a genius idea and my friends and I can't get enough. that being said there are still tons of seriously obnoxious characteristics about this game that I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing.

1) pitching is straight out of looney tunes. I've never encountered Clayton Kershaw in TAP, but when I do...his curveball better leave the entire span of my iPhone screen and drop in for a strike. because we've got minor leaguers throwing frisbees on a regular basis right now.

2) Outfielders gain freakish speed when chasing down foul *****.

3) the pitcher fields anything & EVERYthing. no matter how hard you hit it, where his momentum is taking him, he fields the ball. what??? (unless a shift is on. in which case he lets the ball through to the infield shift for the out).

4) there are WAY too many double plays. it's almost as if the game takes note that you have a man on first and jacks up the probability that you'll ground out to an infielder who will turn the double play.

5) the hundreds of fast***** that pitchers just spike into the dirt need to stop. the camera is angled from above. you can't tell, from the perspective we're given, whether a fastball is level with your chin or the dirt. leaving sound to be your only guide. which isn't realistic if you're playing somewhere quiet.

6) it feels like the game handicaps you without notice when your offense is hot. I've had multiple players hitting as high as .400, only for them to free fall to more like .180-.240. it seems like the game puts you through hot and cold spells offensively. what's up with that? just leave it be.

7) I don't know what switch flips when it's comes to playoff games, but it's ridiculous. it's like much like 6) that I mentioned earlier. the game zaps you of any ability to produce offense, then regularly programs the opposing team to put up a 6 run inning out of nowhere. coincidentally (?) as soon as you squeak in a run to take a lead.

8) the game just isn't hitter friendly enough. we don't even pitch in this game. it's all turn based offense. so I would think it would be more hitter focused. but it's just not. groundouts, pop outs, fly outs...all occur way too often.

9) draft pick slot machine...still way harsh on how often you get the shaft. some people are spending real money on this stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered any of these issues and agrees with what I've concluded about them?

spicy_pants, or any TAP sports rep really, id love to hear from you regarding these topics. the game is addicting as heck. and I'd like to continue playing it. but I think a little dialogue with some answers would go a long way for us users!

Well said. What's up with all of the routine Fly Out. It's hard enough hitting the ball and then you fall into this. Dafuque man!!!!

6EF44181-C51B-4615-88DA-7AF6337E2346_zpslohqhape.png

23530E92-D578-4142-BB53-077EFFF6603F_zpsnetumntp.png
  • tylerduerrtylerduerr Registered Users 26 Posts
    good to hear we're all on the same page here y'all. I'm pretty frustrated. and it seems It's falling on dead ears. because the Spicy Pants, or whoever is responsible for customer care, only responds if the question is convenient. according to the evidence in the forum threads.
    good to hear we're all on the same page here y'all. I'm pretty frustrated. and it seems It's falling on dead ears. because the Spicy Pants, or whoever is responsible for customer care, only responds if the question is convenient. according to the evidence in the forum threads.

T- you are absolutely correct. I love the game but it does have some flaws. I'm glad I'm not spending any real money to play. I know Glu reads the threads on the forum so I'm sure they are aware of the above mentioned issues.
    aware or not we're all kind of expecting the problems with their product to be dignified with a response. and like I said...they only respond when the question is convenient for them to answer, it seems.
    aware or not we're all kind of expecting the problems with their product to be dignified with a response. and like I said...they only respond when the question is convenient for them to answer, it seems.

I hear what you saying... Good luck with that..
    bumping again - spicy_pants stop ignoring us.
    seriously at the end of the line for me, Spicy_Pants. even if you fix this through some update tomorrow, now we've got the problem of a Glu representative blatantly ignoring their customers. we want a response now. not just a quick fix.

I hurd that.....
  • champ_beauchampchamp_beauchamp Registered Users 79 Posts
    I have a few other concerns to add:

1. The new trend of people using hack software and maxing out their upgrades, and buying every player out there. I'm surprised this kind of theft is still going on. It becomes like a women's softball team against the New York Yankees. Although it is that much sweeter to beat these cheaters. For me, I'd much rather earn my upgrades and team.

2. Notice how a foul ball is never dropped? It is an impossibility for a foul ball to be dropped in this game. I've yet to see an error in foul territory and have played over 450 games. In reality most fouls require a much longer run for outfielders and are much more likely to be dropped. And as others have mentioned the fielders seem to accelerate much faster for the ones that should be out of reach.

3. I only get the option to steal on the first pitch. If the pitcher doesn't pitch-out or check the runner at first, I'm resigned to hitting away for the rest of the count.

4. Occasionally on steals the fielder won't tag me, yet I am called out. They just catch the ball and make no attempt to tag me. This is not a force-play and technically I should be called safe. I believe it's happened on tag-ups as well.

5. Line-drives, one of the hardest hits to catch, are never ever dropped. At least I haven't seen one.

6. If you choose to steal and the pitcher hits your batter, the runner who is now at second will try to steal third on the next pitch even though you didn't command him to. The initial steal command sticks from before the batter was hit. And as we all know, you're out quite a bit when you try to steal third.

7. If someone is harassing you there's no option to cease playing against them. If they select rematch your only recourse is to ignore that game, and then you limit the number of active games at once you can play. Not that this is an issue for me -- I quite enjoy playing with the trolls.

I actually disagree with everyone else on making hitting easier. I think it's good they keep it difficult so we aren't winning 25-22 with players who are all over .500. You may think you've timed a fast ball perfectly, but it doesn't mean the player got the sweet-spot on the ball. Anyone who has played baseball or watched MLB knows this. I for one like that the pitching is tough. It becomes a chess game where you need to outsmart an algortihm. And more often than not, when I am mentally sharp I play better. So while I do believe there are algorithms at play affecting our hot and cold streaks, I think it keeps the game more realistic, and ultimately our talent dictates wins and loses.

Lastly, while this post is filled with concerns, I want to leave with a positive comment. This is the first game I've played on my iPhone where I haven't gotten bored after a month. I play for hours a day and will continue for a long time coming. Great job, glu! I really hope there's another level after Legend as I am near the play-offs. Or some kind of finish line for me to work toward. I fear without that I may not play as often.

Thanks for reading.
  • DenzaloDenzalo Registered Users 9 Posts
    7. If someone is harassing you there's no option to cease playing against them. If they select rematch your only recourse is to ignore that game, and then you limit the number of active games at once you can play. Not that this is an issue for me -- I quite enjoy playing with the trolls.

Just as a side note on this: you are able to resign a game without losing a division win if it is both A) the first inning and B) nobody has scored yet.
    this is just getting ridiculous.

I just had approx. 27 at bats. and in that span, I had 2 hits. and don't worry, it's not as if I didn't make solid contact the majority of the time. I only struck out once. that means 25 flyouts/groundouts despite a multitude of timing variables. which, knowing tap, means about 21 flyouts, 3 groundouts and a double play.

I've had about $10-$20 in gold I've been wanting to buy for kicks. but I'm not spending a dime until Glu speaks up and addresses the multitude of issues we all have. paramount of those being the fact that they charge different amounts of money to different people for the same product. and also all these embarassing gameplay screw ups.
  • MacHobbesMacHobbes Registered Users 11 Posts
    The Gameplay. The infield pop ups. They have to stop. They do not occur frequently in baseball like they do here
    Also, the 2 for 30 slumps my offense goes into on far too regular basis when I only strike out once or twice. I understand individual slumps, but the entire team across multiple simultaneous games is unrealistic and makes no sense.
    Next, the insanity of all the screwy late breaking pitches and the number of pitchers who throw 100+ mph. A more realistic repertoire would be great, as would a stamina rating. Every pitcher does not tire after 6 innings.

Ok. Now to glitches. Certain infield hits, the ones to deep short, are recorded as errors in the stats.
    Runners on third hold up when the D concedes the run and plays back, but run into outs when the infield is in. It should be the exact opposite.

I have more but I have to post this. Twice while trying to post I've had an error occur and lost my work typing.
    Glu, are you ever planning on acknowledging your customers? or should I look elsewhere for baseball related entertainment.
  • Dmanu22Dmanu22 Registered Users 4 Posts
    i really enjoy this game as well. However if glu can't even answer these questions I won't be giving them any more of my money.
  • GuacapoliGuacapoli Registered Users 6 Posts
    I have a few other concerns to add:

2. Notice how a foul ball is never dropped? It is an impossibility for a foul ball to be dropped in this game. I've yet to see an error in foul territory and have played over 450 games. In reality most fouls require a much longer run for outfielders and are much more likely to be dropped. And as others have mentioned the fielders seem to acce.

I can actually confirm I had one foul ball dropped while I was batting. Funny thing is that it was dropped in foul territory and landed in foul territory. Yet all my runners were able to advance when in real life it would be a dead ball and time would be called.
  • PZ_OriolesPZ_Orioles Registered Users 19 Posts
    Guacapoli wrote: »
    I can actually confirm I had one foul ball dropped while I was batting. Funny thing is that it was dropped in foul territory and landed in foul territory. Yet all my runners were able to advance when in real life it would be a dead ball and time would be called.

Again - GEEZ...stop with the complaining. As long as we are all 'playing by the same rules' and all have pop-out issues and so forth..who cares. Adjust to the game and realize it's part of it. This is not a $100 baseball simulation. You don't want to spend your money on gold? Don't. (I don't). But if you do - then some of these issues will go away. They are, after all, trying to make money.

As I've said - forget about the tagging, pop-ups. Look at your stats at the end of the day. Batting averages are slightly low. But after I've played about 162 games (Right about where I am), the stats are pretty darn realistic.
    and you stop with the complaining about the complaining. it's called a forum and it's a place for people to discuss whatever aspects of the game they wish. if you're not interested in reading about gameplay concerns then don't visit these kind of threads.
    and you stop with the complaining about the complaining. it's called a forum and it's a place for people to discuss whatever aspects of the game they wish. if you're not interested in reading about gameplay concerns then don't visit these kind of threads.

THANK YOU champ_beauchamp.

PZ_Orioles, you're content with the game. congrats. but believe it or not, we're all entitled to an opinion. I'm not sure if you're choosing to ignore the problems in the game, you're blind to the problems, or you just aren't familiar baseball...that's not any of my business to scrutinize. but one thing that is factual is that the app is stacked against its customers. and despite my addressing of your moot points last we chatted, you're back here complaining about us simply discussing that.

this thread is a collection of thoughts of users discrepancies with Tap Baseball. which we are allowed to have. we all enjoy this game to the extent that we'd love to see a few things change. if you're just gonna chime in to list all your reasons why none of us are allowed to discuss that, I feel like you could contribute in more productive ways elsewhere in the forums.
  • GuacapoliGuacapoli Registered Users 6 Posts

I don't know where you see me complaining about the game in my post. I simple stated what happened when a foul ball was dropped. Get over yourself bud.
    Guacapoli wrote: »
    I don't know where you see me complaining about the game in my post. I simple stated what happened when a foul ball was dropped. Get over yourself bud.

You can't tell that I was responding to PZ_Orioles and not you? From now on I'll quote every post I'm responding to so you can keep up with us.
    How is possible when I start a new game against a human that I'm instantly thrown into the bottom of the 1st? How does the game know who the player does in the top of the 1st?